Oakland RAIDERS OffSeason Thread

^Wow. If a lot of that is true, then we have to believe that Rolando is seriously ****ed up in the head. His future is in serious jeopardy.

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Where did this consensus that McClain isn't improving come from? I don't think he's been stagnant in development and I also think he's better than mediocre.
McClain seems to me always out of position with respect to where the play is happening, cherry-picking on tackles and generally not up to the physical speed we need him to be to be an effective MLB. It isn't that the guy isn't capable of being better (God knows I want him to be insanely good), it's that, after almost two years of NFL playtime, he hasn't played to the level of an impact first rounder that I'm sure all of us expected from him. 
I don't know, I'll admit that I'm most likely expecting too much from him at this point in time. Maybe it's the pressure to make the playoffs that's making me antsy about him.

I respectfully disagree (This is HAM btw, suspended atm). To me his positioning against the run is superb. He plays the run with an experience beyond his years. He's always around the ball, very very difficult to block inside the box, toughness, a hitter, and for the most part he's a sure tackler (though his hips aren't very good, he's always going to be a mistmatch in the open field against shifty backs). Not flashy by any means but a damn good football player. This is pretty much what I saw from him at Bama and what I expected of him coming into the league. 

I think some fans do expect too much of him. People see first rounders like Patrick Willis and expect somewhat comparable production from a linebacker picked in the top 10 but athletically Patrick Willis is a freak where as Rolando is relatively average by NFL standards. He's an intelligent football player with excellent instincts who's always going to be limited by his athletic ability. That's why you surround him with guys like Aaron Curry who can run sideline to sideline and wreak havoc with their athleticism.  If you look at the different weaknesses in Rolando's game, you can almost always point to his athleticism as the root cause. If you're waiting on Rolando to be insanely good, you're going to keep on waiting while his career slowly passes on by.  Realistically he's just never going to be an All Pro.

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Where did this consensus that McClain isn't improving come from? I don't think he's been stagnant in development and I also think he's better than mediocre.
McClain seems to me always out of position with respect to where the play is happening, cherry-picking on tackles and generally not up to the physical speed we need him to be to be an effective MLB. It isn't that the guy isn't capable of being better (God knows I want him to be insanely good), it's that, after almost two years of NFL playtime, he hasn't played to the level of an impact first rounder that I'm sure all of us expected from him. 
I don't know, I'll admit that I'm most likely expecting too much from him at this point in time. Maybe it's the pressure to make the playoffs that's making me antsy about him.

I respectfully disagree (This is HAM btw, suspended atm). To me his positioning against the run is superb. He plays the run with an experience beyond his years. He's always around the ball, very very difficult to block inside the box, toughness, a hitter, and for the most part he's a sure tackler (though his hips aren't very good, he's always going to be a mistmatch in the open field against shifty backs). Not flashy by any means but a damn good football player. This is pretty much what I saw from him at Bama and what I expected of him coming into the league. 

I think some fans do expect too much of him. People see first rounders like Patrick Willis and expect somewhat comparable production from a linebacker picked in the top 10 but athletically Patrick Willis is a freak where as Rolando is relatively average by NFL standards. He's an intelligent football player with excellent instincts who's always going to be limited by his athletic ability. That's why you surround him with guys like Aaron Curry who can run sideline to sideline and wreak havoc with their athleticism.  If you look at the different weaknesses in Rolando's game, you can almost always point to his athleticism as the root cause. If you're waiting on Rolando to be insanely good, you're going to keep on waiting while his career slowly passes on by.  Realistically he's just never going to be an All Pro.

[h1]QB Carson Palmer paving path to postseason for Oakland Raiders[/h1]

By: Glenn Dickey | 11/28/11 10:57 PM

More and more, the Carson Palmer trade looks like the impetus for the Raiders to make the postseason for the first time since 2002. Certainly, Palmer was the difference in Sunday’s 25-20 victory against the Chicago Bears.

The Raiders were without some significant players — running back Darren McFadden and receivers-kick returners Jacoby Ford and Denarius Moore. But Palmer picked up the slack with a 301-yard passing game that put the Raiders in position for six field goals and — finally! — one touchdown.

Michael Bush can be a big factor against a defense that is soft against the run — the San Diego Chargers come to mind — but the Bears are tough run defenders. Because Bush is not at all deceptive, he got swallowed up by the Bears, gaining only 69 yards on 24 carries. Because McFadden is so good in the open field, he would have forced the Bears to make some adjustments. Without him in the lineup, they could just load up and stop Bush.

That put the spotlight on Palmer. He faced an often ferocious pass rush — the Bears sacked him four times — but he still made some big throws. The biggest was a 47-yard pass down the right sideline to Louis Murphy in the fourth quarter, setting up a 3-yard run by Bush for the team’s lone touchdown.

That’s what Palmer gives the Raiders: a quarterback who can make all the throws and carry the offense when he has to. They weren’t going to get anything close to that with Kyle Boller, who would have been the quarterback if Hue Jackson hadn’t made the gambling trade for Palmer.

Jackson paid a high price — a first-round draft choice in 2012 and a second-rounder in 2013 which becomes a first-rounder if the Raiders are in the AFC Championship game in either of the next two years. But it was a gamble he had to take, especially for a franchise whose motto is “Just Win, Baby.

[h1]QB Carson Palmer paving path to postseason for Oakland Raiders[/h1]

By: Glenn Dickey | 11/28/11 10:57 PM

More and more, the Carson Palmer trade looks like the impetus for the Raiders to make the postseason for the first time since 2002. Certainly, Palmer was the difference in Sunday’s 25-20 victory against the Chicago Bears.

The Raiders were without some significant players — running back Darren McFadden and receivers-kick returners Jacoby Ford and Denarius Moore. But Palmer picked up the slack with a 301-yard passing game that put the Raiders in position for six field goals and — finally! — one touchdown.

Michael Bush can be a big factor against a defense that is soft against the run — the San Diego Chargers come to mind — but the Bears are tough run defenders. Because Bush is not at all deceptive, he got swallowed up by the Bears, gaining only 69 yards on 24 carries. Because McFadden is so good in the open field, he would have forced the Bears to make some adjustments. Without him in the lineup, they could just load up and stop Bush.

That put the spotlight on Palmer. He faced an often ferocious pass rush — the Bears sacked him four times — but he still made some big throws. The biggest was a 47-yard pass down the right sideline to Louis Murphy in the fourth quarter, setting up a 3-yard run by Bush for the team’s lone touchdown.

That’s what Palmer gives the Raiders: a quarterback who can make all the throws and carry the offense when he has to. They weren’t going to get anything close to that with Kyle Boller, who would have been the quarterback if Hue Jackson hadn’t made the gambling trade for Palmer.

Jackson paid a high price — a first-round draft choice in 2012 and a second-rounder in 2013 which becomes a first-rounder if the Raiders are in the AFC Championship game in either of the next two years. But it was a gamble he had to take, especially for a franchise whose motto is “Just Win, Baby.

nerd.gif

Yep......What a great way to head into Lambo.......Hopefully the team inflates themselves this week. And by that, I mean the return of DMC, D Mo, and J Ford.

Yep......What a great way to head into Lambo.......Hopefully the team inflates themselves this week. And by that, I mean the return of DMC, D Mo, and J Ford.

Rumors are DMac won't be returning til the Lions game...but Ford, D-Mo and Taiwan should be returning this week.

Rumors are DMac won't be returning til the Lions game...but Ford, D-Mo and Taiwan should be returning this week.

Originally Posted by JJA89

He's been out for half the year with this injury

Mcfadden is unquestionably one of the best running backs in the NFL.  But he is brittle and has a history of taking forever to come back form injuries.   Not a good thing for any team to have your best player described in that way. 

He and Brett Anderson should kick it.

Mcfadden is unquestionably one of the best running backs in the NFL.  But he is brittle and has a history of taking forever to come back form injuries.   Not a good thing for any team to have your best player described in that way. 

McFadden is gonna be out all year. Every single week they say he may come back, and it's the same story every other week.
What did you guys think of Seymour getting ejected yesterday?

McFadden is gonna be out all year. Every single week they say he may come back, and it's the same story every other week.

Originally Posted by MzD650

Ahhh, that hurts 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by MzD650

Ahhh, that hurts 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

Seymour is a leader on the team, no question. Is he responsible for being cool-headed at all times for that reason? No, every player out there is his own man and should take care of himself. But it's not easy watching him get into trouble that way and being thrown out. Now, I know the punch he supposedly threw doesn't seem to be what the ref's thought they saw, but again, he is important to our defense and watching him get thrown out definitely hurts the team and I'm sure most of us. I wish he would be able to focus his anger into his play, but if this is the kind of thing that we have to tolerate once a year in order to get stand out play from him, then I'd absolutely rather have that.

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

Seymour is a leader on the team, no question. Is he responsible for being cool-headed at all times for that reason? No, every player out there is his own man and should take care of himself. But it's not easy watching him get into trouble that way and being thrown out. Now, I know the punch he supposedly threw doesn't seem to be what the ref's thought they saw, but again, he is important to our defense and watching him get thrown out definitely hurts the team and I'm sure most of us. I wish he would be able to focus his anger into his play, but if this is the kind of thing that we have to tolerate once a year in order to get stand out play from him, then I'd absolutely rather have that.

Back
Top Bottom