Obama to End Military's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy

devildog1776

Banned
WASHINGTON - President-elect Barack Obama will allow gays to serve openly in the military by overturning the controversial"don't ask, don't tell" policy that marred President Clinton's first days in office, according to incoming White House Press SecretaryRobert Gibbs.

The startling pronouncement, which could re-open a dormant battle in the culture wars and distract from other elements of Obama's agenda,came during a Gibbs exchange with members of the public who sent in questions that were answered on YouTube.

"Thadeus of Lansing, Mich., asks, 'Is the new administration going to get rid of the "don't ask, don't tellpolicy?'" said Gibbs, looking into the camera. "Thadeus, you don't hear a politician give a one-word answer much. But it's,'Yes.'"

The Obama transition team declined to elaborate on that one-word answer when asked by FOX News on Wednesday about a timetable for repealingthe policy, which was enacted by Clinton after a protracted public debate. Obama officials also would not explain which lawmakers or Pentagon officials wouldattempt to repeal "don't ask, don't tell."

Clinton, who initially sought to overturn the longstanding ban on gays in the military, ended up enacting the "don't ask, don'ttell" policy as a compromise that made it illegal for commanders to ask about the sexual orientation of service members, who were also barred fromannouncing they were homosexual. If a service member's homosexuality becomes known anyway, he or she is expelled.

Clinton is widely viewed as having stumbled during his first days in office by getting caught up in the raging controversy, which detractedfrom the rest of his agenda. It is not yet clear whether Obama would face a similar debacle.

For years, Obama has said he generally opposes the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. Last summer, he told a gay magazine hecan "reasonably" see it being repealed. But that was a far cry from Gibbs' unequivocal promise that the policy will indeed be ended.

The gay community is eager for a quick repeal of "don't ask, don't tell," but fears it could be months before the newadministration reaches a consensus with lawmakers and the military. Others think Obama could do it quickly, but is leery of the kind of fallout Bill Clintonfaced when he tackled the divisive issue.

dicuss

I mean will gays serve openly anyways after this anyways?

At least they wont get kicked out but by the way the army looks down upon homosexuals does it change much?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Elpablo21

I mean will gays serve openly anyways after this anyways?

At least they wont get kicked out but by the way the army looks down upon homosexuals does it change much?
nerd.gif
no, when it comes to promotions/and such i bet
grin.gif
nerd.gif

When I was in service 02 -06 ... gays werent open... we knew of such dudes that seemed gay and they got riduculed each day.... we verbally abused ANYONE thatcame off as gay... When I was in JAPAN this dude walked in on two dudes spooning each other... oh boy had to transfer beacuse of threats and abuse by THE WHOLESQUADRON...

Its gonna destroy part of the military(gay bashing)... but when it came down to it , it wasnt a problem at all ... but this will cause alot of folks to retireearly or get out just cause... it wouldnt bother me cause if I was in a wartime situation Im fighting for any and everybosy on my team

KUDOS!!!

I was skeptical about Obama making good on most of his promises during 08', but between this and the impending "Gitmo" closing I am starting tohave some hope for the future. Now he needs to answer to the pressure religious groups are imposing and come out and publicly ban torture practices employed on"terror suspects".

Seriously, something Bill Clinton should have had the stones to do during his first term. That "don't ask, don't tell" crap was a disgraceand a slap in the face to the thousands of homosexuals who have loyally served their country.

Originally Posted by KingLouisXIV

As he well should.

Yes, but what he really should do is legalize gay marriage on a federal level rather than using the "states should decide" cop out.

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

As he well should.

Yes, but what he really should do is legalize gay marriage on a federal level rather than using the "states should decide" cop out.
No, he shouldn't. There is no reason for the federal government to have any interest in marriage at all.

Originally Posted by truthmain

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

As he well should.

No, he shouldn't. There is no reason for the federal government to have any interest in marriage at all.
Yeah dude you're right. Why should they have an interest in basic civil rights?

Gosh golly, I hope they don't let those colored boys marry our pretty white women!

Back
Top Bottom