..:Official 2008 AL Central Thread:..

I still don't like the garland for cabrera trade...and hopefully gio and de los santos don't come back to haunt us...

Twins fans ready for Delmon Young bobblehead night?
smh.gif
laugh.gif

Can't watch right now, which game is it? They always show the one from '06 where Liriano dominates the Rays.

Originally Posted by nnarum

Originally Posted by JPZx

Can't watch right now, which game is it? They always show the one from '06 where Liriano dominates the Rays.

laugh.gif

Yep...
roll.gif
serious? I remember watching it live and I think i've seenit twice on these 'Twins Classics' that they show. Man, they need to dig up some other games and give that game a rest haha

2 team race between the Tigers and Indians for AL Central Champs. One or the other will be the Wild Card, as Boston is taking the East and the Angels mostlikely taking the West. I actually wouldn't mind us playing Boston in the first round of the playoffs...revenge is a dish best served cold.

I've always been a T. Hunter fan though, so good luck to him and the Twins fans on the board.

Originally Posted by JDB1523

2 team race between the Tigers and Indians for AL Central Champs. One or the other will be the Wild Card, as Boston is taking the East and the Angels most likely taking the West. I actually wouldn't mind us playing Boston in the first round of the playoffs...revenge is a dish best served cold.

I've always been a T. Hunter fan though, so good luck to him and the Twins fans on the board.

He is an Angel my dude... Where you been?
nerd.gif

I just want to make the playoffs...

this group likes to underachieve when expected to do well

I'm excited to see Liriano back in action, and to see how Delmon Young develops. Mauer, Morneau, Delmon, and Cuddyer should be a solid middle for years tocome. As long as we get the rest of the pitching going, we should be good in a couple years like dudes above said. As for this year, I don't expect us tocompete for a playoff spot really, but it could happen if everything goes right.

1. Cleveland
2. Detroit
3. Sox / Twins
4. Royals.

Honestly, I think our season is going to go as far as our starting pitching takes us.

Vasquez - Hell of a game today
Buerhle -
pimp.gif

Danks -
ohwell.gif

Jose -
frown.gif

Gavin -
eyes.gif

We still have to make a decision about who is going to play third.

There is still the question about who will lead off.

I'm probably the only Jerry Owens fan in all of Chicago.
ohwell.gif

I really hope C.C. signs an extension after the season, it seems like he wants to be an Indian. I was hoping to get a good corner outfielder to add to the mix,lord knows we need one

I really hope C.C. signs an extension after the season, it seems like he wants to be an Indian. I was hoping to get a good corner outfielder to add to the mix, lord knows we need one
I can't see it happening
ohwell.gif

And I think Franky steps it up this year...but yeah we needed some more pop

God, damnit.
[h1]Tigers and Cabrera agree to $152.3 million, 8-year deal[/h1]
By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer 3 hours, 31 minutes ago

DETROIT (AP)-Miguel Cabrera and the Detroit Tigers have reached a preliminary agreement on a $152.3 million, eight-year contract, according a personal familiar with the deal.

The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Sunday because the contract was not yet final. The third baseman must pass a physical before the agreement can be finalized.

Cabrera agreed on Jan. 18 to an $11.3 million salary for this season. The new deal adds $141 million over the following seven seasons.

Cabrera will earn $15 million in 2009, when he would have been eligible for salary arbitration. He will average $21 million annually over the next six seasons, when he would have been eligible for free agency.

Cabrera's average salary of $19,037,500 will be the fourth-highest in the major leagues behind those of New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez ($27.5 million), New York Mets pitcher Johan Santana ($22,916,667) and Boston left fielder Manny Ramirez ($20 million).

His deal will be the fourth-highest package. Rodriguez is starting a $275 million, 10-year contract, Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter is entering the eighth season of a $189 million, 10-year deal and Ramirez is in the final guaranteed season of a $160 million, eight-year contract.

Aspects of Cabrera's agreement were first reported by ESPNdeportes.com.

Ace Justin Verlander said just having Cabrera around has been a positive for the team.

"What stands out to me is his personality around the clubhouse," Verlander said. "Everybody knows how good of a ballplayer he is, but he's also great around the clubhouse and is a good teammate."

Slugger Gary Sheffield said signing Cabrera to a long term deal shows the team is comitted to winning now and in the years to come.

"He's a future-type player," Sheffield said. "Anytime you can get a player with that amount of years on this team, you're looking at multiple championships."

Detroit acquired Cabrera from the Florida Marlins during December's winter meetings along with pitcher Dontrelle Willis.

Cabrera averaged 32 homers and 115 RBIs while hitting .318 the past four seasons for the Marlins. The only players to at least match him in their averages in all three categories over that four-year span were Albert Pujols and Vladimir Guerrero, according STATS LLC.

Willis has often said matter-of-factly that Cabrera will be in the Hall of Fame.

Tigers manager Jim Leyland echoed the a similar sentiment at the start of spring training after saying he wanted to help him become a complete player.

"Hopefully someday when he goes to Cooperstown," Leyland said, "people won't just say he was one hell of a hitter."

Cabrera has struggled at times at third base-making 23 errors last year and 17 the previous season-after primarily playing in the outfield during his first two full years in the majors.

Leyland has been pleased with Cabrera defensively, saying he has good hands and a better-than-expected arm following a recent exhibition.

The four-time All-Star was criticized by some last year for his weight, but reported to camp with the Tigers in Lakeland, Fla., after dropping some pounds. He drew rave reviews for his conditioning from teammates, such as Carlos Guillen, who have known him for years.

Florida sent Cabrera and Willis, the last players left from the Marlins' 2003 World Series championship team, to Detroit for six prospects. Cabrera made $472,000 two years ago and $7.4 million last season, when he was eligible for arbitration for the first time.

Two years ago, Cabrera hit a Marlins-record .339 while joining Pujols, Rodriguez and Hall of Famer Hank Greenberg as the only players to hit 25 homers and 50 doubles in a season before turning 24.

He followed that up with career highs in homers (34) and RBIs (119) last season.

AP Baseball Writer Ronald Blum contributed to this report.

This division is going to be even tougher the next 8 years...
smh.gif

Best closer in the AL Re-ups
pimp.gif

Makes you wonder if the Twins were worried about Johan... He didn't seem to have his stuff last year...
nerd.gif

[h1]Joe Nathan and Minnesota Twins agree to new $47 million, 4-year contract[/h1]
Mar 24, 7:29 pm EDT

FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP)-Joe Nathan is staying with the Minnesota Twins rather than following Johan Santana, Torii Hunter and Carlos Silva out of town.

Nathan and the Twins agreed to terms Monday on a $47 million, four-year contract, a deal that includes a 2012 club option on the 33-year-old closer.

The Twins weren't going to get rid of the two-time All-Star, not after deciding to deal Santana and watching Hunter and Silva depart as free agents during the offseason.

"It was definitely a priority for us," assistant general manager Rob Antony said. "I think a lot of people thought, when it became clear we were going to trade Johan Santana, that Joe was next. That wasn't the case at all. We look at Joe as a key member of the core of this ballclub. We had to take care of some other things first … but when the time was right we did it. And it was well worth it."

Nathan was slated to make $6 million in 2008, far less than several ace relievers around the majors. Mariano Rivera of the New York Yankees got a $45 million, three-year contract in November, and Francisco Cordero signed a $46 million, four-year deal with the Cincinnati Reds after becoming a free agent. With Francisco Rodriguez of the Los Angeles Angels eligible for free agency after this season, the price for closers could soar even higher.

Antony and Nathan's agent, Dave Pepe, tore up the existing contract and worked out a new one. Nathan gets $11.25 million in each of the next four seasons, starting with 2008, and the Twins have a $12.5 million option for 2012 with a $2 million buyout.

The price of the option can rise to $14 million-going up by $500,000 each for 55 games finished in 2010, 55 games finished in 2011 and 110 games finished in 2010 and 2011 combined. Also, Nathan said the deal contains a limited no-trade clause.

The structure is similar to the contract Antony worked on in January for first baseman Justin Morneau, who signed for $80 million over six years. Morneau will make $14 million in each of the final four years of his deal, which gives the team as much payroll flexibility as possible.

Catcher Joe Mauer and right fielder Michael Cuddyer are also signed through at least 2010, making the team excited about moving into a new ballpark with some important players secured.

"We've shown that we're committed to winning," Nathan said. "A lot of people are counting us out, but we're going to be good this year and for years to come, because we're young and a lot of our guys are hungry."

Nathan praised owner Carl Pohlad and his family for being "really committed to getting this done." Nathan also said manager Ron Gardenhire and pitching coach Rick Anderson were high on his list of reasons for wanting to stay.

"With the way they handle the pitchers here, they take care of us," Nathan said. "They worry more about careers than they do seasons. They think long term more than they do short term."

Pepe acknowledged he was pessimistic about reaching an agreement, but after meeting with Antony last week he realized the sides were closer than before. Nathan did not want negotiations to continue into the regular season.

"I think first and foremost Joe wouldn't want to be here if he didn't think this was a good ballclub," Pepe said. "This was what he wanted."

Nathan's 160 saves over four seasons as Minnesota's closer are tied with Rivera for most in the AL. Nathan's ERA since joining the Twins is 1.94. He has converted 90 percent of his 179 career save opportunities.

He said he plans to pitch past the length of his latest contract.

"I feel like I'm in great shape right now," Nathan said.

Back
Top Bottom