Official 2008 Atlanta Braves Season Thread (59-77) vol. We Blow

Glavine sure surgery is on docket
Veteran to visit Dr. Andrews next week with career up in air

ATLANTA -- Tom Glavine doesn't know if he'll pitch again. But the 300-game winner is quite certain he'll need to undergo elbow surgery after visiting Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala., sometime next week.
"I would be surprised, if not shocked, if he doesn't tell me I need to get it [the elbow] fixed," Glavine said.

Based on the many discussions he's had with the Braves' medical staff, Glavine is confident this expected left elbow surgery would be to repair the torn flexor tendon found during an MRI exam in June. The 42-year-old hurler's understanding is that he would need three to four months of rehab, and he would then at least have the opportunity to choose whether he wants to pitch again next season.

If Andrews determines that Glavine needs to undergo the Tommy John elbow ligament transplant surgery that requires at least one year of rehab, the veteran hurler will retire without going through that surgical process. "I wouldn't come back from that kind of surgery right now," Glavine said. "I'd fix the tendon and leave the ligament alone."

so he is gone add another Braves Starter to the list of Tommy John Surgery this year and the Yankees think they got it bad we have had the WORSTluck this year and it will hurt us next year with Hudson out too until late September.

Peter Moylan - Tommy John Surgery
John Smoltz - Tommy John Surgery
Tim Hudson - Tommy John Surgery
Tom Glavine - Tommy John Surgery
Mike Hampton - wouldn't be surprised if he got Tommy John Surgery again

and add another L to the Braves loss column......
smh.gif

most of our pitching staff undergoing Tommy John treatment = not a good look
tired.gif

Mr. Wren better look for true starters in the offseason.

Five free-agent pitchers on Braves' wish list

Now that the trading deadline is passed, free-agent shopping days aren't far off. The Braves have significant holes to fill this winter: in the outfield, where they need power, and the starting rotation, now that Tim Hudson will miss most of 2009 following elbow surgery. With $30-40 million to spend, here are five free-agent starters the Braves might add to their wish list.

1. LH CC Sabathia (Age 28; 2008 salary $11 million). Who wouldn't want the 2007 American League Cy Young award winner? Last year at 27, he became the youngest pitcher to win 100 games since Greg Maddux in 1993. He won a career-high 19 games, led the majors with 241 innings and finished fifth in the AL in strikeouts (209). He just won pitcher of the month in his first month in the National League. He went 4-0 with a 1.82 ERA in his first five starts after being traded from the Indians to the Brewers.

2. RH Ben Sheets (Age 30; 2008 salary $12.1 million). The Braves will remember him for his 18 strikeouts against them on May 16, 2004, as a Brewer. The four-time All-Star started for the NL in this year's game. His career strikeout-to-walk ratio is nearly 4-to-1. He has a career 3.75 ERA, but he's won no more than 12 games in any of eight major league seasons. The knock against him is that he's injury-prone; he's been on the disabled list six times and hasn't reached 200 innings since 2004.

3. RH Jon Garland RH Jon Garland (Age 28; 2008 salary $12 million). The Angels will try to re-sign Francisco Rodriguez and Mark Teixeira, which could make Garland expendable. The former first-round draft pick has pitched in the majors since he was 20 and built a reputation for being durable -- one DL stint in nine years. After eight years, 92 wins and the 2005 World Series with the White Sox, Garland was traded to the Angels for shortstop Orlando Cabrera in November.

4. RH Derek Lowe (Age 35; 2008 salary $10 million). He saved 42 games as a closer for the Red Sox, and won 21 games as a starter for them two years later. He's found a stable home in the Dodgers' rotation, where he was the opening day starter in 2005, 2006, and 2007. He has a career 3.81 ERA and 120 wins in 11 years, which includes the first five in relief. He's never been on the disabled list - though he's pitching with hip pain right now.

5. RH Ryan Dempster (Age 31; 2008 salary $7.3 million). The former All-Star has had a reclamation season with the Cubs, going 12-5 with a 2.93 ERA through 24 starts. He was 8-19 and converted 85 of 99 save attempts in the past three years as the Cubs closer, but he's been buoyed by a move back to the rotation. That's where he spent the first seven years of his career with the Marlins and Reds.

I like CC Sabathia and Ben Sheets, Jon Garland is alright but Braves need an Ace for next year because as of now Jair is the ace.

The Pitchers that i don't like are Derek Lowe or Ryan Dempster.

Braves @ Mets 8/19-8/21

Jo Jo Reyes (Called up from AAA) vs Oliver Perez 7:10 pm

Braves haven't hit Perez well at all

Jo Jo Reyes sucks he keeps on throwing balls and his pitch count is over 30 in the 2nd inning

Chipper Jones the Met Killer
devil.gif

Braves lost the bullpen got rocked again
tired.gif

Jair Jurrjens to pitch today i'll be at the game tomorrow
pimp.gif

Five outfield targets for Braves in 2009

1. LF Adam Dunn. (Age 28; 2008 salary $13 million). He's an all-or-nothing power hitter, with undeniable production. Just traded to Arizona, he's hit 40 or more homers in each of the last four seasons and is on pace for 47 this year. He also might strike out 190 times a year and has a .247 career batting average. But he walks - an average of 94 times per season - and has a career on-base percentage of .381. He averages 34 home runs and 81 RBIs per season.

2. LF Pat Burrell (Age 31; 2008 salary $14.25 million). He endured hitting .258 in 2006 and .256 in 2007 with the Phillies but even when he struggles, Burrell still hits for power and drives in nearly 100 runs (think Andruw Jones). He averaged 27 homers a year coming into this season. He hit 30 or more homers in 2002, 2005 and 2007 and is on pace for 40 this year. He's topped 100 RBIs twice - with 116 in 2002 and 117 in 2005.

3. RF Bobby Abreu (Age 34; 2008 salary $16 million). He might be overpriced for what he can do now, but he's out there if the Yankees don't re-sign him. He's been around 15 homers and 100 RBIs the last two years, and he has 15 homers, 76 RBIs through 110 games this year. He had a career-high 101 RBIs, 40 doubles and 123 runs in 2007. He's stolen at least 20 bases in nine straight seasons.

4. LF Raul Ibanez (Age 36; 2008 salary $5.5 million) He's no spring chicken but he could be a link until Jason Heyward is ready, and he's affordable. As a Mariner, he might not be a household name on the East coast but he's put together a nice career. He's a career .285 hitter, who's had 20 or more home runs in four of the last six seasons. He had a career year in 2006 with 33 homers and 123 RBIs.

5. LF Juan Rivera (Age 30; 2008 salary $2 million). He might be a stretch but the free-agent crop thins if players like Brian Giles and Mike Cameron have their options picked up. He's had two off years for the Angels due to injuries. He missed all but one month of 2007 after breaking his leg in winter ball in Venezuela. This was after a career year in 2006 when he hit .310 with 23 homers and 85 RBIs. He can play right or left field and has a good arm.

i don't want Bobby Abreu or Juan Rivera.

Too pricey Adam Dunn strikes out a lot but hits a lot of Home Runs and Walks a lot too defense i haven't watched him but i assume he is plays poorly.

Again too pricey: Pat Burrell hits lots of Home Runs but because he plays in that small field in Philly and he plays terrible defense.

Raul Ibanez don't know anything about him but he is cheaper out of them all and provides quality numbers.

^where you find this?

Outfield is another area of need besides pitching. Matt Diaz is still recovering from the knee injury and Mark Kotsay is not a long term solution for theBraves future.

Raul Ibanez might be interesting.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by MFr3shM

Jair Jurrjens to pitch today i'll be at the game tomorrow
pimp.gif

Five outfield targets for Braves in 2009

1. LF Adam Dunn. (Age 28; 2008 salary $13 million). He's an all-or-nothing power hitter, with undeniable production. Just traded to Arizona, he's hit 40 or more homers in each of the last four seasons and is on pace for 47 this year. He also might strike out 190 times a year and has a .247 career batting average. But he walks - an average of 94 times per season - and has a career on-base percentage of .381. He averages 34 home runs and 81 RBIs per season.

2. LF Pat Burrell (Age 31; 2008 salary $14.25 million). He endured hitting .258 in 2006 and .256 in 2007 with the Phillies but even when he struggles, Burrell still hits for power and drives in nearly 100 runs (think Andruw Jones). He averaged 27 homers a year coming into this season. He hit 30 or more homers in 2002, 2005 and 2007 and is on pace for 40 this year. He's topped 100 RBIs twice - with 116 in 2002 and 117 in 2005.

3. RF Bobby Abreu (Age 34; 2008 salary $16 million). He might be overpriced for what he can do now, but he's out there if the Yankees don't re-sign him. He's been around 15 homers and 100 RBIs the last two years, and he has 15 homers, 76 RBIs through 110 games this year. He had a career-high 101 RBIs, 40 doubles and 123 runs in 2007. He's stolen at least 20 bases in nine straight seasons.

4. LF Raul Ibanez (Age 36; 2008 salary $5.5 million) He's no spring chicken but he could be a link until Jason Heyward is ready, and he's affordable. As a Mariner, he might not be a household name on the East coast but he's put together a nice career. He's a career .285 hitter, who's had 20 or more home runs in four of the last six seasons. He had a career year in 2006 with 33 homers and 123 RBIs.

5. LF Juan Rivera (Age 30; 2008 salary $2 million). He might be a stretch but the free-agent crop thins if players like Brian Giles and Mike Cameron have their options picked up. He's had two off years for the Angels due to injuries. He missed all but one month of 2007 after breaking his leg in winter ball in Venezuela. This was after a career year in 2006 when he hit .310 with 23 homers and 85 RBIs. He can play right or left field and has a good arm.

i don't want Bobby Abreu or Juan Rivera.

Too pricey Adam Dunn strikes out a lot but hits a lot of Home Runs and Walks a lot too defense i haven't watched him but i assume he is plays poorly.

Again too pricey: Pat Burrell hits lots of Home Runs but because he plays in that small field in Philly and he plays terrible defense.

Raul Ibanez don't know anything about him but he is cheaper out of them all and provides quality numbers.
The sad part is that all these players will command a ton of money. Burrell is having a good year but he plays in a little-league park. Adam Dunnis fairly slow but he's up there in outfield assists (probably because so many choose to run on him), and we know about his strikeout woes. Raul Ibanez ishaving a solid year, but he's 36 and is looking for a contract.

I honestly think Bobby Abreu would be a good fit for you guys; he hits for average and draws a ton of walks, and he's good for .300-20-100. If the Phillieslose Burrell in the offseason, I can see both the Mets and the Phillies having a lot of interest in him, although the Mets should stay from older players for awhile
laugh.gif

SMH at the Braves defense burying Jurrjens.

Yeah all those free agents will want major money contracts i wouldn't want Abreu though because i don't think many Braves fans want a player who isonly capable of hitting 15-20 Home Runs sure he walks a lot and hits for average and gets 100 RBI's but i'm sure Braves fans want someone capable of anoffensive threat like Dunn capable of hitting 40 plus homers.

Braves defense blows much worse is the bullpen

Originally Posted by nightruans

might as well make this the official Braves offseason thread... mets running the table young man
5 months ago I said no.........but until today I guess you said it best.........our bullpen and defense blows.
sick.gif
smh.gif
indifferent.gif
alien.gif
tired.gif

and August has been a terrible month for us. We're definitely going the way to the offseason, but I will stay strong for the Braves for the remainder ofthe year.

^^^
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
nice pics there, although your final game seeing the Bravesplay there ended on a sour note.
frown.gif
tired.gif

Hope you'll like the new Mets stadium next year when the Braves come there to visit.

Yeah i can't wait to see the new Citi Field Mets 2009 its going to be great better than this dump Shea Stadium.

Chipper got mad heat "Larry Larry Larry"
laugh.gif
he loves the hate.

Escobar hit a 1st pitch Home Run off Pedro
glasses.gif

I thought Infante should've caught the final fly but Bobby should've put Gregor Blanco in LF because Infante is a 3B or 2B most of the time.

Oh well this just was a bad road series.

[table][tr][td]
This just in......

Kotsay traded to the Red Sox to provide insurance for injured OF JD Drew.........
eek.gif

Kotsay, Sox excited about new alliance

With Drew's injury, veteran will be a huge pick-me-up

By Ian Browne / MLB.com
[/td] [td]
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/tickets/index.jsp
[/td] [/tr][/table]
NEW YORK -- Mark Kotsay is intense -- he's experienced, he loves to play in games that count and he's versatile. The fact that he also happens to be a left-handed-hitting outfielder made him the perfect fit to step in for the Red Sox while J.D. Drew tends to an ailing back.

So when Kotsay learned he was officially traded from the Braves to the Red Sox on Wednesday morning, he didn't take his time and tell his new teamhe'd be there in another day or so.

Instead, he swiftly got packed, booked a flight from Atlanta to New York and got to Yankee Stadium with roughly 90 minutes to spare before the Red Sox tookon the Yankees.

"It's very invigorating, no question," Kotsay told two pool reporters. "Unfortunately in Atlanta, things didn't go as well as wewould have liked to. Atlanta gave me this opportunity and we have to be thankful for that as well."

Kotsay wasn't the only one who was thankful. When Drew went down, Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein saw Kotsay as virtually the only viablereplacement who had cleared waivers.

In the end, the Red Sox made it happen, sending Class A outfielder Luis Sumoza to the Braves. And to make room for Kotsay on the roster,infielder-outfielder Joe Thurston was designated for assignment.

Kotsay didn't start on Wednesday, but he was available. He will make his debut on Thursday afternoon against Mike Mussina.

"This obviously is exciting to come to a club that's in the playoff race, and especially one like Boston that has the history of a greattradition," Kotsay said.

Starting out his Boston chapter amid the game's fiercest rivalry was perfect for a player of Kotsay's makeup.

"I know that I've gotten messages from people all over the league that said he's like everybody's all-time favorite. I know he's realprofessional," said Red Sox manager Terry Francona.

Kotsay was asked about his reputation as a "gamer."

"I mean the respect of your peers is ultimately what you play the game for, and really nothing else," Kotsay said. "There's no accoladesthat I'm chasing at this point other than to be on a winning club and to play in a World Series."

The 32-year-old Kotsay is a .282 career hitter, with 109 homers and 597 RBIs in 1,428 games.

Epstein and Kotsay overlapped in 2001 with the San Diego Padres, where the former was an assistant under general manager Kevin Towers.

"I got to see up close what kind of professional he is, how he prepares for games, what he adds to the clubhouse," said Epstein. "He's asgood as it gets along those lines. He'll help this club on the field and in the clubhouse as well."

Ultimately, Kotsay's skill-set as a player was the impetus to the deal. Well, that along with the recent decline in Drew's health.

"J.D.'s injury necessitated this trade, but that said, we're really happy to have Mark as a Red Sox," Epstein said. "I think he addsa lot to our club. He's still a plus defender, we feel in center and in right. He's played some first base in his past as well, which might come inhandy here with [Sean] Casey a little beat up as well. Mark's got great instincts in the field. Still got a strong throwing arm and a great head for thegame. Offensively, he grinds his at-bats the way we like."

Red Sox third baseman Mike Lowell played with Kotsay with the Florida Marlins in 1999 and 2000.

"I think he's what you consider a baseball player," said Lowell. "He knows the game well. He knows his strengths. I thought he was thebest right fielder I ever saw cut a ball off and as accurate an arm as possible. People would say that they'd try to test Vladdie [Guerrero] when he was inMontreal, but no one wanted to test Kotsay. He brings more to the table than just swinging a pretty good bat. I think he knows the game real well."

Though Drew is eligible to come off the disabled list on Tuesday, Kotsay's arrival will enable him not to rush back from a herniated disc and lower backtightness.

And once Drew does return, the Red Sox suddenly have a solid bench option in Kotsay.

"We hope J.D.'s not out too long, but if he is, it will be nice to have Mark on the roster and help fill that void," said Epstein. "WhenJ.D. comes back and healthy, we feel like there are spots where Mark can really help this club."

"I'm just anxious to come over and in some way help this club, obviously reach its destination, and at the same time have as much fun aspossible," Kotsay said.

Can you believe it Rafael Soriano season-ending surgery add another to the long list
frown.gif

Soriano has season-ending surgery
Reliever should return in '09 after procedure on right elbow

ATLANTA -- Braves right-handed reliever Rafael Soriano underwent season-ending elbow surgery on Thursday and is expected to be ready to pitch again by the start of next year's Spring Training.
Dr. James Andrews performed ulnar nerve transposition surgery on Soriano and in the process removed a bone spur on the posterior side of the elbow. Andrews didn't find any damage to the veteran reliever's ligament.

After signing a two-year, $9 million contract in January, Soriano made just 14 appearances this year. The club's projected closer experienced some elbow discomfort during the early portion of Spring Training and has made three trips to the disabled list this year.
While paying Soriano $6.1 million next year, the Braves are hopeful that he can gain the successful form that enabled him to gain this contract. In 71 appearances last year, the 28-year-old reliever limited opponents to a .181 batting average and a .232 on-base percentage, which ranked second among qualified National League relievers.

wow not a fun season at all for us.
tired.gif

And Tom Glavine is def done for the year, but he might possibly come back for us next year, if he can, since his elbow isn't too damaged for Tommy Johnsurgery.

Braves also signed Rodrigo Lopez SP he is coming off Tommy John Surgery will pitch next year in Spring Training

This has been the worst year for the Braves.

the Nats continue to dominate the once dominant Braves. it's sort of sad how much you guys have regressed. Bobby Cox is senile.

8-4 vs the Braves this season
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom