Official: 2008 Fantasy Baseball Thread *Sticky?*

Made a separate thread about this but I'll post in here too:

I got a league going called the Academic Athletic Association, anyone who plays high school ball in SF knows what it is. We got 8 people so far, looking for 4more to fill out the league. Right now, half the league played for SF schools back in the day, a few made all-city. The rest are just friends who love thegame. If you played ball for an AAA school past or present, sign up but the league is also open to anyone who just loves baseball. All of us are fantasy vets,having played close to 10 years now, so no weenies or casual fans allowed.

Head to head league, we play mostly default stats + a few others that make things interesting:

R, H, HR, RBI, SB, TB, AVG, OPS, CYC, SLAM, OFA, W, CG, SHO, SV, K, ERA, PICK, NH, PG, BSV

Draft is this Sunday @ 11:30am. PM me for sign up info.

(Rotisserie, 10-man league)

This is what my team looks like right now, after trades and adds/drops I did:

C - Russell Martin
1B - David Ortiz
2B - Chone Figgins
3B - David Wright
SS - Michael Young
OF - Carlos Beltran
OF - Adam Dunn
OF - Lance Berkman
Util - Raul Ibanez
Util - Garrett Atkins
Bench - Orlando Hudson
Bench - Geovany Soto
Bench - Mike Cameron

SP - Javier Vazquez
SP - Chris Young (SD Padres)
RP - Francisco Rodriguez
RP - Bobby Jenks
P - Rafael Soriano
P - Jason Isringhausen
P - Brian Wilson (SF Giants)
Bench - Aaron Harang
Bench - AJ Burnett
Bench - Mike Pelfrey (about to drop him for someone else...)
Bench - Francisco Liriano (about to trade him for Rich Harden...)
DL - Scott Kazmir

What do you guys think?

Whooo boy...did my draft over the weekend and I'm gonna guarantee winning the league this yr:

1. (5) Miguel Cabrera 3B
2. (20) Vladimir Guerrero OF
3. (29) Lance Berkman 1B,OF
4. (44) Bobby Abreu OF
5. (53) Francisco Rodríguez RP
6. (68) Carlos Zambrano SP
7. (77) Félix Hernández SP
8. (92) Daisuke Matsuzaka SP
9. (101)Delmon Young OF
10. (116)Khalil Greene SS
11. (125)Kenji Johjima C
12. (140)Brad Lidge RP
13. (149)Rafael Soriano RP
14. (164)Justin Upton OF
15. (173)Joe Blanton SP
16. (188)Daric Barton 1B
17. (197)Jeff Kent 2B
18. (212)Billy Butler 1B,OF
19. (221)Justin Duchscherer RP
20. (236)Mark Ellis 2B

My 1st 9 picks are solid...getting Dice-K in the 8th rd was a steal. Just goes to show picking a top tier pitcher like Johan in the 1st rd is unnecessary andcould kill your draft. Didn't pick a SP until the 6th rd and my rotation is still deadly + got Joe Blanton in the 15th for good measure.

Why did I take K-Rod so early? Our league counts blown saves so it was imperative to scoop up an elite closer. But of course, he blows one yesterday.

Didn't even bother taking a 2B until the 17th. If you're not getting Chase Utley, what's the point of drafting one early? I had Mark Ellis on queuefor my last pick but when I saw JK at 17, I had to take him. Took Ellis anyway in case JK flops. Same strategy with catcher.

Justin Upton in the 14th, Billy Butler at 18...both low risk picks when high payoff potential.

We also play outfield assists and I got a threesome with cannon arms in Delmon, Vlad, and Abreu.

This might be the best draft I've ever done in 10 years of playing.

nvm
laugh.gif

I'll post screen shots of my teams in a bit. How many leagues do you guys play in? Im in 9 leagues on yahoo (5 now, with 4 more coming at midseason) andif my friend sets it up, Im gonna try Espn this year. I drafted my friends team and from what I saw espn is much better than yahoo.

<>

Hey my man Bobby Tugs from onetimefantasysports.com and I got a radio show today at 3PM EST. It's going to discuss all of the free agent pick-ups of theweek, 2-start pitchers for next week, and injury updates as well...it's an hour long show and can be found here:

www.wmucsports.com - just click listen live at 3 o'clock.

I'm loving Pierzynski (sp?) on my team. I drafted Johjima and putting up #s that make me
tired.gif
. Glad I had a quality backup that's now my full-time starter.

Also Guzman is having a great start to the season for me
smokin.gif

I'm loving Pierzynski (sp?) on my team. I drafted Johjima and putting up #s that make me
tired.gif
. Glad I had a quality backup that's now my full-time starter.

Also Guzman is having a great start to the season for me
smokin.gif

Are you keeping Johjima? I see a lot of ppl are dropping him...I think it's too soon to give up on him. He'll bounce back for sure.

But if you need a good catcher Jason Kendall is on fire right now and he's probably available in most leagues.

Aye guys..Can I get some feedback on my squad?...Its a 10 team Custom ESPN league...H/ TB/ R/ BA/ HR/ RBI/ SB/ K/ OPS...and for pitchers IP/ W/ L/ SV/ ERA/WHIP/ H/ ER/ BB/ K

C Russell Martin, LAD C

1B Adrian Gonzalez, SD 1B

2B Chase Utley, Phi 2B

3B Joe Crede, CWS 3B

SS Troy Tulowitzki, Col SS

2B/SS Howie Kendrick, LAA 2B DTD

1B/3B James Loney, LAD 1B

OF Carlos Beltran, NYM OF

OF Vernon Wells, Tor OF

OF Josh Willingham, Fla OF

OF Carlos Gomez, Min OF

OF Xavier Nady, Pit OF

UTIL Brad Hawpe, Col OF

UTIL Mark Reynolds, Ari 3B

Bench Justin Morneau, Min 1B DTD

DL Jeremy Hermida, Fla OF

P John Maine, NYM SP

SP Jake Peavy, SD SP

SP Fausto Carmona, Cle SP

SP Dontrelle Willis, Det SP

SP John Smoltz, Atl SP DTD

RP Jonathan Papelbon, Bos RP

RP Billy Wagner, NYM RP

RP Francisco Cordero, Cin RP

Bench Jeremy Bonderman, Det SP

Bench Johnny Cueto, Cin SP

DL Andy Pettitte, NYY SP

Martins killin me so far but he should come around...Willy Taveras is a FA and it looks like hes startin to come arond, should I drop Gomez for him? Im afraidhe's (Gomez) gonna tail off real soon.

Who should I drop, if anyone, to bring Pettite off the DL? Dontrelle? or should I drop Pettite?...
Who should I drop for Hermida?...

^I would keep Gomez over Taveras. They're the same type of player but Gomez has way more upside. But he's only good for pretty much only SB. If youneed the steals, he might be worthy of keeping just for that. Then again, it's only one stat.

This just in: Tampa Bay 3B Evan Longoria has been called up to the majors!!!
PICK HIM UP IN ALL LEAGUES WHERE HE IS AVAILABLE

UPDATED!!!

(Rotisserie, 10-man league)

This is what my team looks like right now, after trades and adds/drops I did:

C - Geovany Soto
1B - David Ortiz
2B - Chone Figgins
3B - David Wright
SS - Michael Young
OF - Carlos Beltran
OF - Adam Dunn
OF - Lance Berkman
Util - Raul Ibanez
Util - Garrett Atkins
Bench - Jim Thome
Bench - Russell Martin
Bench - Tadahito Iguchi
Bench - Andruw Jones

SP - Ben Sheets
SP - Chris Young (SD Padres)
RP - Francisco Rodriguez
RP - Bobby Jenks
P - Joe Nathan
P - Jason Isringhausen
P - Brian Wilson (SF Giants)
Bench - Aaron Harang
Bench - Javier Vazquez
Bench - Rafael Soriano
DL - Scott Kazmir

What do you guys think? (I'm gonna drop Iguchi for Jhonny Peralta as soon as he clears the waivers. Not sure about Andruw.)

Edwin Jackson might be a good pickup if you're in need of SP. Highly touted prospect in his prime years who seems to be finally coming around.

I have had no luck this weekend.

- I forget to put Wang in my lineup on Friday
indifferent.gif

- I have Jason Bay on the bench today, and he had 3 RBIs.
- Tom Glavine is my only SP set today (yeah, my pitching isn't that great overall), and he leaves after throwing just 16 pitches
indifferent.gif

Hold off on Johnny Cueto...

He's probably gone in most leagues but if you get a trade offer with him in the package, be wary. Today he gave up 5 runs in 6IP. That's not such a bigdeal but what was alarming was his fastball topping out at 88-89. For a guy who throws in the mid 90s, that is a huge dropoff and could be a sign he is hurt.And I wouldn't be surprised with such a violent delivery.

Why would you drop a closer who's a lock for 40 saves for another closer who just came off the DL and has a history of arm problems? Keep Jenks bro. Evenif BJ stays healthy he isn't much of an upgrade over Jenks, if at all. If you can get BJ w/o dropping Jenks, your closer spot would be tough.

Originally Posted by bmj87

This just in: Tampa Bay 3B Evan Longoria has been called up to the majors!!!
PICK HIM UP IN ALL LEAGUES WHERE HE IS AVAILABLE

2-3, 2B, HR, RBI, 2 R, BB...in just today's game.

You're looking at the AL ROY

im thinking of trading longoria now....just picked him up in 3 leagues....before his first game.....
stock is pretty good right now....

must be out of your mind to drop jenks for ryan.....

im thinking of trading longoria now....just picked him up in 3 leagues....before his first game.....
stock is pretty good right now....

must be out of your mind to drop jenks for ryan.....

do you guys know who is closing for the mariners? i had borowski as my only closer and he sucks lol im trying to pick up anew closer but everyone is gone.

Back
Top Bottom