Official 2008 NBA Finals Game 2 Thread: Lakers @ Boston 6/8 6PM PST Game On ABC HD

The whole reason why observers of the NBA merely ask for a fair shake in the officiating is because people that know basketball know that those 3 refs haveincredible power to dictate the game. They can call all contact. They could call little contact. All people ask is consistency. The Lakers were taking noticeof those early calls. The crew was calling MOST contact. Fine. Adjust.

However, if you don't call MOST contact on both ends you clearly hand one team the aggressive boomstick and the other team gets a chopstick. And guesswhat? As the game goes on that will show up IN THE DEFENSIVE INTENSITY. The team getting called for everything now has a shorter bench. They have to ease offon the pressure.

Players notice the trend. It's like tilt in poker. You start seeing the calls. None are going against you. So you start taking more aggressive chances.Over time it adds up to a huge advantage.

You can acknowledge these things and still defend the Celtics win.

the irony of this all is i was talking to one of my co-workers about how watered down the game is. when mike and the bulls were making the playoffs but gettingbumped by detroit they played so physical in those games that im pretty sure to this day mike still has nightmares but none of them ever complained they justwaited till next year and finally matched the physical play that detroit was putting out there. now all these guys want is a bail out call. the ref missed thatcall the ref should of called the foul there. but what these laker fans want to some how not remember is that a short left handed oompa loompa by the name ofderek fisher clearly fouled brent barry and there was a no call there but its ok. the level of b*tch%%@ness that the lakersorganization and their fans have is on a high level. in my eyes they still havent let go of the shaq debacle and they need to show face for it with thischampionship its been 5yrs or so since they last won so its like if they keep losing shaq will always have that ring in miami without mister bryant and thatirks the organization and mr bryant himself....

most (if not all) of the laker fans admitted that fish fouled barry...it's just the issue of calling that particular foul at the end of the game that wasthe question.

What a wild game last night.

The FT discrepency raises an eyebrow for sure, but for two games now, the Lakers looked like a jumpshooting team.

laugh.gif
eek.gif
laugh.gif
@ the comeback. Valiant effort, and I was rooting with every inch of my soul for the Lakers to pull it off. Too bad they couldn't do it.

Lakers have to protect homecourt and win all three in order to have a chance.

Boston wins one out of the three, and it's curtains.

Man Stuart Scott on ESPN said the Lakers had the 4th lowest free throw attempts EVER in a NBA Finals game. After game 2 last night.

frown.gif

mad.gif

eyes.gif

smh.gif

Of course...without purple and gold shades on. Believe it or not, there were some non calls on the C's end too, but you didn't see those. Radmonovic's 5 step dunk (whatup Bron) and Fishers "steal" against Pierce accounted for 5 points in that final stretch run. 3 or 4 "non-calls" does not explain a free throw disparity like that. At what point will the Lakers be held accountable for their poor defense, poor rebounding, lack of an inside game, and bad shooting? Forget free throws, how about Powe just straight killing the ENTIRE Lakers bench?

The Lakers are a soft, finesse team. They will get their calls in LA. Kobe will have the lil swag back. But you will probably never see a disparity like that in the Lakers favor because of style of play, unless they find a way to play solid defense, penetrate the Celtics defense and keep them of the offensive boards. There's enough the Lakers did wrong to go that ref route. And you can blame Kobe's demonstrative attitude with the refs as far as getting a lil love. That call from the league office has already been made though. Lakers by 12 or 15 in game 3.
Quoted for emphasis

+ 1

Originally Posted by WILLINC

Of course...without purple and gold shades on. Believe it or not, there were some non calls on the C's end too, but you didn't see those. Radmonovic's 5 step dunk (whatup Bron) and Fishers "steal" against Pierce accounted for 5 points in that final stretch run. 3 or 4 "non-calls" does not explain a free throw disparity like that. At what point will the Lakers be held accountable for their poor defense, poor rebounding, lack of an inside game, and bad shooting? Forget free throws, how about Powe just straight killing the ENTIRE Lakers bench?

The Lakers are a soft, finesse team. They will get their calls in LA. Kobe will have the lil swag back. But you will probably never see a disparity like that in the Lakers favor because of style of play, unless they find a way to play solid defense, penetrate the Celtics defense and keep them of the offensive boards. There's enough the Lakers did wrong to go that ref route. And you can blame Kobe's demonstrative attitude with the refs as far as getting a lil love. That call from the league office has already been made though. Lakers by 12 or 15 in game 3.
Quoted for emphasis

+ 1

I missed this.

+2

Originally Posted by chitown4eva

Did you watch the game?

Yes we do have some fans that are just unbearable, but isn't that the same for every franchise? I have seen cav fans a heat fans that are the same way.

It seems to be no matter what happens we can't win. 38 to 10? How can we not have the right to complain? I could see if it was 20 to 38 or something...but 38 to 10!

But there are just simply way more Laker fans than any other basketball franchise. Similar to the Cubs and Yankees in baseball. It is what it is. When I talk to Laker fans, most of them ARE unbearable, not just a small amount. From your posts, you are in the minority. The disparity of ridiculous and objective on here is the same ratio I experience here in Chicago. So from MY experiences, what I said is very much true.

And as far as that free throw thing, I'm not saying don't complain because it does look terrible on paper. But don't make it seem as if the Lakers were "cheated" out of the game.

Hey man, that's all I ask that you actually watched the game. I don't watch with just Lakers 4 ever tattooed on my forehead or anything, I justwanted a fair game. I don't blame the refs for the loss totally, they just had a big hand in it is all. I know that the Lakers had many things that weretheir fault. But I can't shake this sick feeling that we could end up in a 7th game and the whole time I am going to be wondering what if with game 2.

And Vlad took more damn steps then a running back on a 50 yard run, but that Fish steal was legit, hell, he was fouled on the steal, dude pushed him outtabounds and he had to punch it forward.
laugh.gif

I don't want a 38 - 10 in game 3. I want a 20 - 20, that will make me happy. Yes, I know the timing of those can alter a game, but you get what I'msaying.

Originally Posted by franchise3

Originally Posted by WILLINC

Quoted for emphasis

+ 1
I missed this.

+2
+3 (i guess i'm a hater aren't I?)
In addition, Boston has won 4 times in a row against the Lakers this season...perhaps there's a reason that goes beyond officiating
nerd.gif
Besides that though, the Lakers should be able to rebound well in game 3 and honestly, I think they'll win by 20+. Series don't start til the home teamloses, so the Lakers have no need to panic...yet. You always want to steal one of the first two, but it's very tough to do, espeically playing against ateam like Boston (which,because of their success against the Lakers this year) that definitely does something that bothers the Lakers a lot.

And another thing, you guys probably feel the same as well anyway, but the Lakers should just stick to Kobe/Gasol pick and roll all day long. That just mightbe Boston's weakness, since they aren't so effective against it from what we've seen so far.

*[noble]$tern[/noble]
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by doyung9

Not even the extended make-up calls throughout the second half evened the balance in the Lakers' minds. There was an unnecessary foul on Ray Allen, a questionable offensive foul on Rajon Rondo and Lamar Odom rode P.J. Brown out of bounds on a rebound attempt with no call.

Most blatant of all, Vladimir Radmanovic took so many steps he looked like he was training for the Boston Marathon when he went in for the breakaway dunk that cut the Celtics' lead to four.

The Lakers had their breaks, too, and couldn't capitalize.
that's straight from espn.com

People want to claim the game is rigged, blame the officials, etc. but fact of the matter is, the Lakers bench did not get the job done, AGAIN.

Honestly, from a non-objective point of view, I think the role players of the lakers (SPECIFICALLY Vlad and Vujacic) are a little too comfortable shooting off the dribble. They both took a number of questionable shots that it seemed made #24 VERY UPSET, especially that one with a few seconds left.

I wouldn't blame Kobe if he went back to the old #8 strategy. Or better yet, the #8 and #16 strategy only.

The lakers had about 3 or 4 gimme calls in the 4th as apologies from the refs, meanwhile in the first half the Celtics had about 10, which put the lakersdown. You can't make up for it in the last 10 minutes of the game after you gave the other team 25. WE NEED JOEY CRAWFORD!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by cicco1212

Originally Posted by cicco1212
laugh.gif
You ain't lyin. I was thinking the same thing watching the game.
Yea i made this photoshop quicky because all of the lakers fans are making fun of pp, however kobe is doing the same stuff
indifferent.gif
You are comparing Faker Pierce to Kobe- who has aseperated ligament in his hand for half the season and is suffering back spasms through the playoffs. Kobe has yet to complain, let alone need a wheelchair toget off the court. Is he pissed that he hasn't won a game yet, no doubt. What PP did is WORSE than Wade; at least Wade actually was injured.

I love all this jumpshooting "stuff"! Lakers out shot and out scored Boston in the paint last night.

Originally Posted by holdenmichael

Originally Posted by 75 Partly Cloudy

I still don't think we will lose this series..... Kobe is sliding down the "greatest of all time" chart.

Like Barkley did after losing in '93?
eyes.gif

no, not like Barkley in '93, like Kobe in '08.

People were openly ready to compare him to MJ.... after these first 2 they are falling back.

The ingorance in this thread is redic.

I don't care who you are, the game last night was horribly officiated.

Lakers in 6, still.

^ And I'll still compare Kobe to MJ.

look at the end of the day we all want our teams to win its what makes sports fun and interesting. but i mean when does it come to a point when fans andplayers themselves stop crying that a call didnt go their way. i mean come on like i said before during the 80's and 90's it was str8 man to mandefense it was hand checking it was hard nosed fouls but those guys still found a way to make it to the basket and earn their free throws the lakers are softand thats it. kobe is scared to go to the hole lamar odom is on another planet and pau is actually not playing bad i dont know why ppl expect pau to go for 30and 20 every night when he is not that type of player. the lakers bench is overrated the guy they call the machine(dont know why) is an average player with amediocre jumpshot and farmar and turiaff are decent players but not instant offense. luke walton probably found his dad's acid stash because he is no whereto be found. the lakers are losing because of the lakers not the refs.

I don't care how we do it, we just have to get a win to relax the guys who got us here. Farmar, Turiaf, Odom, Walton, these guys have not played well andwe need them to win this series. Gasol has been ok, Fish is tough and i think will be there when it matters, and Vlad actually played ok in the second half,still can't guard for sh(^ but oh well.
laugh.gif
And Sasha is stillhimself but even he looks more nervous then usual. They need to see a W to know they can do it, and then maybe the series can turn our way. We need to proveto Boston that they can be beat by us since they are 4 and 0 vs us this season.

I don't know how we can win 4 out of 5 vs the best team all year, but I hope we have a 7th game to give it a shot.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Did you watch the game?

Yes we do have some fans that are just unbearable, but isn't that the same for every franchise? I have seen cav fans a heat fans that are the same way.

It seems to be no matter what happens we can't win. 38 to 10? How can we not have the right to complain? I could see if it was 20 to 38 or something...but 38 to 10!
But there are just simply way more Laker fans than any other basketball franchise. Similar to the Cubs and Yankees in baseball. It is what it is. When I talk to Laker fans, most of them ARE unbearable, not just a small amount. From your posts, you are in the minority. The disparity of ridiculous and objective on here is the same ratio I experience here in Chicago. So from MY experiences, what I said is very much true.

And as far as that free throw thing, I'm not saying don't complain because it does look terrible on paper. But don't make it seem as if the Lakers were "cheated" out of the game.

Hey man, that's all I ask that you actually watched the game. I don't watch with just Lakers 4 ever tattooed on my forehead or anything, I just wanted a fair game. I don't blame the refs for the loss totally, they just had a big hand in it is all. I know that the Lakers had many things that were their fault. But I can't shake this sick feeling that we could end up in a 7th game and the whole time I am going to be wondering what if with game 2.

And Vlad took more damn steps then a running back on a 50 yard run, but that Fish steal was legit, hell, he was fouled on the steal, dude pushed him outta bounds and he had to punch it forward.
laugh.gif

I don't want a 38 - 10 in game 3. I want a 20 - 20, that will make me happy. Yes, I know the timing of those can alter a game, but you get what I'm saying.

Good points. We did get more calls. I am not to upset about Vlad becuase Rondo travels a lot. His was just
roll.gif

In LA you will get the calls. I hope you do so it evens out and there are no* after.

Originally Posted by holdenmichael

I still don't think we will lose this series..... Kobe is sliding down the "greatest of all time" chart.

Like Barkley did after losing in '93?
eyes.gif

no, not like Barkley in '93, like Kobe in '08.

People were openly ready to compare him to MJ.... after these first 2 they are falling back.

by people, you mean Mark Jackson?

You are comparing Faker Pierce to Kobe- who has a seperated ligament in his hand for half the season and is suffering back spasms through the playoffs. Kobe has yet to complain, let alone need a wheelchair to get off the court. Is he pissed that he hasn't won a game yet, no doubt. What PP did is WORSE than Wade; at least Wade actually was injured.

2-0 in favor of the C's

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

FYALADY wrote:
and then it suddenly turned into a hispanic vs. black thing and it got outta control. !%@@ was bananas!!

LOL. Fans acting stupid.

It's kinda funny how there are so many hispanic Laker fans when there is only 1 hispanic player in the NBA, Najera who shouldn't even be considered as an NBA player. lol just loving the game?

Aside from the back and forths and general immaturity in many of the arguments here, this has to be the stupidest thing written in this entire thread. My god FYALADY, are you really that lame or are you just flexing your right to be an ignorant bigot? Apparently, the answer is a resounding YES to both questions. I'm not even goinjg to get into it because I don't feel like getting banned today, but you really need to get your head out of your %%*. Moron.

Calm down. You sound upset. lol

Apparently there is another hispanic player, Gasol. Some dude pointed out. But Pau is from Spain.

Every hispanic Laker fan is mexican, or their ethnic is..

I'm just stating the fact, and just asking.. I thought ya'll dudes are into soccer, which is a cool sport. lol

But don't be mad.

Originally Posted by ShannonsCrooks

You are comparing Faker Pierce to Kobe- who has a seperated ligament in his hand for half the season and is suffering back spasms through the playoffs. Kobe has yet to complain, let alone need a wheelchair to get off the court. Is he pissed that he hasn't won a game yet, no doubt. What PP did is WORSE than Wade; at least Wade actually was injured.

2-0 in favor of the C's

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Which has nothing to do with what he said. Read a book or 2 buddy and learn some comprehension skills.

Originally Posted by tupac003

Originally Posted by CP1708

The debacle is that Laker fans/supporters, coaches and players are relying on stat sheets and ignoring the game itself. They're just a soft, jumpshooting team with a soft front line. They have been outmatched in this first two games, period. They can't guard any big men and they should be thankful Duncan can't even move side to side anymore. They won't even give the refs a reason to blow the whistle. They are going against a disciplined defensive unit and that pretty boy Hollywood **** hasn't worked so far. Leave the flopping and pump fakes in LA. Kobe shooting airballs again now (Bron shaking his head somewhere) because he can't get to the bucket. Radmonovic almost shot the Lakers out of game 2, just like Kobe did in game 1. The Celtics benefitted a lil from home cooking just like every team, but the bulk of it is style of play. It's only a debacle because the largest fanbase and everybody else who hates the Celtics, the most notorious complaining coach, and the whining superstar says it is.

Did you watch the game?

I have a question for you. Did you see the Turiaf foul after he blocked the shot, but landed on the guy? Foul called. Ok, that's fair.
Did you see the semi alley oop to Gasol where he somehow banked it in but was knocked in the front row by Garnett, no foul called. Ok.

What about the Kobe running left handed shot. Why did he shoot left handed, was it because his right arm was being pulled back?

Or the Farmar drive to the hoop where he was spun the f around and still NO FOUL called.

So I ask you, soft? Is that soft, or just calls not made?

Whatever the case, it is what it is. Lakers down 0 - 2. We can blame whoever we want, it doesn't matter, we know that. But just justify to me Leon freaking Powe shooting more free throws then an entire team in a finals game. Imagine the backlash if Ronny Turiaf ever did the same thing.

But I guess in a 6 point game, a disparity of TWENTY EIGHT free throws doesn't matter. Because we were outhustled. Because of KG's "Passion", because of Peirce's greatness.

You're right, Lakers are soft. That's the reason for the loss.
eyes.gif
CP...

Just stop. Nobody will listen to us.

All laker fans...just stop.

There will never be an in between... The hate for the Lakers is strong, here and outside of NT.

No point in arguing...
laugh.gif

They will say and think what they want...regardless of how outlandish their thoughts may be.

When they get proved wrong, it goes ignored or some excuse is made.

Laker fans...it's not even worth the time.

Back
Top Bottom