OFFICIAL 2009/2010 EPL Season Post

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Originally Posted by hoosiers4life

Arsenal is like that fly in the room that you think you kill, but then it comes back to life and keeps buzzing. Somehow they still have a pulse, and don't have to play anyone, especially after they get knocked out by freakin' Porto.
No offense but I think you're reading way too much into this win.

Today's match was the type of match Arsenal have been winning over their last 5 years. At home vs. weak teams like Sunderland are usually matches that Arsenal have no trouble winning. The problem for them is winning on the road (regardless of opponent) and beating Chelsea and Man Utd.

While Arsenal have a relatively easy schedule to finish the season, they pretty much need to win 10 of their last 11 matches to even have a shot at finishing first.

Chelsea and Man Utd have some tough matches to finish the season (including a match against each other) and they will both drop points but one of them (likely Chelsea) will finish with 80+ pts. Arsenal have 55 pts now with 11 matches to go, so they'll need to win A MINIMUM of 9 matches just to finish in the 82+ point range that is needed to win the league. Arsenal have not shown that kind of consistency since 2004 and with so many holes on the team, I find it extremely hard to accept that this team are title contenders. 2nd place is definitely up for grabs though (I'm sure Wenger would have little difficulty putting a positive spin on a 2nd place finish
laugh.gif
)

What irks me is that compared to the last few years, we knew that the EPL title would be a wide open race this season for various reasons (Liverpool looked good last year, Man City spending $$$, coaching instability at Chelsea and the transfer ban that has since been lifted, as well as Man Utd. selling their best player). Unfortunately though, Wenger did not really improve a team that was just 2-3 players away from actually being serious contenders.
I disagree with your assessment. This is the type of game that Arsenal have had trouble with, albeit not at the Emirates.  If you go back the last couple seasons Arsenal have the best record among the "Big 4" in intra-Big 4 matches. The problem Arsenal have had is losing at Stoke, or drawing at home with West Ham, things of that nature.  I disagree with Wenger needing to have bought someone in the summer.  If he buys a striker then, where do they play?  RVP was lethal until he went down. Almunia last year was very solid, this year, well, yeah. I do however think Wenger absolutely should have bought a striker in the January window, I mean anyone knows that.  Bendtner is very meh. Arsenal's problem is that one of their big guns went down. I would say RVP is 1b to Fabregas's 1a in importance to the team.  I mean, where would United be if Rooney missed that much of the season? Chelsea has the depth to absorb anything like that, though losing Drogba would obviously be a big blow.  At this point, its Chelsea's to lose, obviously.  Unless the Terry saga continues to take a toll on squad harmony, they will win it going away.  Arsenal and United will be 2nd and 3rd in some order. The season really comes down to the showdown between the 2. If Chelsea win its over, if they lose its a 3 horse race, if they draw, Arsenal are right back in the thick of it.

Honestly Arsenal have a good shot at advancing in the CL A 1-0 win would do it, but Im just being pessimistic so that if they do win, I'll be happy.  I said after they GET, not GOT.

The game is 3 weeks away, we should have everyone back from injury that we had out in the 1st leg and we are at home where we are strong and you're talking about them getting knocked out, having no confidence in them...sad.

Come on now...counting on RvP to play an entire season was extremely ******ed on Wenger's part and a lame excuse by Arsenal fans. Dont make me bring out RvP's game played statistics over the past few years.

Ok, what the heck...
laugh.gif

28 matches in 2009
15 in 2008
22 in 2007
24 in 2006
26 in 2005

This guy has NEVER been healthy for an entire season even dating back to his years at Feyenoord so for Wenger to count on RvP as his #1 striker was just plain foolish. Another thing...it was absolutely ridiculous for Wenger to pencil RvP in as our starting CF. van Persie is a secondary striker or right winger, not a CF. By putting him in at CF, you basically took away any aerial ability from Arsenal's attack and not just that...but with RvP as the CF, you're taking away the element of physicality that you need in attack to succeed in the Premiership. I would've been perfectly fine with RvP starting this season (and in the future) on the right side of the team's attack but playing behind a natural CF. Look at who we have playing there now...Arshavin who is like the left-sided version of RvP.

Not just that, but you still have a team that is soft in the middle of the park. Fabregas is fine at his free-role position and Song is pretty good but then the team does not really have a consistent CM to play next to those 2. This has been a huge problem since Vieira left...Gilberto was fine there until Wenger kicked him to the curb...Flamini was fine there until he got fed up of the loser attitude at the club.

And I dont care what anyone says...Almunia has always been a mediocre GK for Arsenal...dating back to the 2006 UCL finals. He has never been a top 5-GK in the Premiership and finally Arsenal fans are starting to realize that he is not very good. Wenger should've brought in a #1 keeper after 2007 when it became apparent that Lehmann was declining but instead Wenger chose to make Almunia the #1.

Arsenal's problem is not that their big gun went down...their problem is the lack of ambition at the board level and their decision to chase record profits rather than trophies. They just netted 30 million pounds this summer (selling Adebayor + Toure for 40 mill, buying Vermalean for 10 mill) and yet they have the nerve to say that the current economic climate wont allow them to spend money
indifferent.gif

It costs like 5 million pounds to get a good GK, around 10-15 mill. to get you a good CDM from France and around the same amount to get a good striker...the kind of money needed to win the Premiership and perhaps compete for the UCL title. Instead, the team is content with finishing in the top 4 domestically and making the final 8 of the UCL every year.

It looks like the best case scenario for this team this season is #2 in England and the semis of the UCL.

BTW, has anyone seen Maroune Chamakh play before? It looks like Arsenal will be getting him on a free transfer this summer (and thus saving money on a transfer fee in the process...YAY!!!!)

Yeah I've watched Chamakh for quite some time now, have always been impressed with him, when they brought up Wenger was interested, I figured he would sign him, I mean he speaks French
laugh.gif
. He's tall, powerful, quick, exactly what we need to help us finish our quality chances. This dude plays brilliant in the air too. He's scored more headers than anyone in Europe this season, which is someone we can definitely use with Cesc's corners and free kicks into the box. Earlier this month they were talking about it every day and how he snubbed Liverpool...we will be getting him in the summer, expect him to sign for us right after the WC. Can't wait to have him, RVP and Arshavin up front, sounds like a great line to me.

Once I know what his squad number will be, his jersey will be in my collection.

Originally Posted by Jada2001Retro

Yeah I've watched Chamakh for quite some time now, have always been impressed with him, when they brought up Wenger was interested, I figured he would sign him, I mean he speaks French
laugh.gif
. He's tall, powerful, quick, exactly what we need to help us finish our quality chances. This dude plays brilliant in the air too. He's scored more headers than anyone in Europe this season, which is someone we can definitely use with Cesc's corners and free kicks into the box. Earlier this month they were talking about it every day and how he snubbed Liverpool...we will be getting him in the summer, expect him to sign for us right after the WC. Can't wait to have him, RVP and Arshavin up front, sounds like a great line to me.

I'm wondering what the hold up is. Arsenal can sign him right now since his contract with Bordeoux expires at season's end.

laugh.gif

I'm wondering what the hold up is. Arsenal can sign him right now since his contract with Bordeoux expires at season's end.

Rumors since last week have been that he already signed a pre-contract with us for 4 years €16million, it's been all over, pretty reputable sources as well. Can't wait to see Chamakh out there, hopefully I'll be in England in September and get to see him live.
pimp.gif

Rumors since last week have been that he already signed a pre-contract with us for 4 years €16million, it's been all over, pretty reputable sources as well. 
all over where?even Wenger himself has denied of any deal being done...
personally,i think Chamakh's stalling...he knows big European clubs are keeping tabs on him so he's in no rush to sign for anyone...
so quite frankly,i wouldn't be surprised at all if he doesn't sign for Arsenal...

Originally Posted by Keepie Uppie

Rumors since last week have been that he already signed a pre-contract with us for 4 years €16million, it's been all over, pretty reputable sources as well. 
all over where?even Wenger himself has denied of any deal being done...
personally,i think Chamakh's stalling...he knows big European clubs are keeping tabs on him so he's in no rush to sign for anyone...
so quite frankly,i wouldn't be surprised at all if he doesn't sign for Arsenal...
All through French and English soccer news sites reporting on it, he already said out of his own mouth he wants to sign for Arsenal, and this was a month ago or so. Google news search "Chamakh Arsenal" and you'll get plenty of stories about it. Chamakh will be in a Gunners shirt next season, willing to put money on it.

If you don't remember, Wenger also said that they were not approaching or speaking to Arshavin last January like 2 days before the transfer window closed and we signed him, didn't we? He is very secretive about his deals, even signing Vermaelen this off-season he just came out of no where with the signing with maybe 1 small rumor a week prior to the signing. Don't expect to hear any confirmation from either Arsenal, Wenger, or Chamakh on the deal until the season is over, only reporters will tell about the situation, I think it has to do with a respect factor on both of their sides. They want him to finish the season at Bordeaux and not have his head only on next season at Arsenal.

indifferent.gif
@ these heartless bastards running these Premiership clubs.

Tevez has been in Argentina next to his wife and their baby born 2-months premature and yet the club has demanded him to return back in time for this weekend's match with Chelsea.

They pretty much gave Adebayor as much time as he needed after the Togo bus attack but are not being as lenient with Tevez.

ROONEH ROONEH ROONEH!

from Valencia... 

6th header in the last 8 games too...
EDIT ~ x2!  7th header in the last 8 games... he's playing like a possessed man today... 

ac97a4f0e0fe0511e9ed4efc59367791-getty-fbl-eng-pr-man_utd-west_ham.jpg

indifferent.gif
@ these heartless bastards running these Premiership clubs.

Tevez has been in Argentina next to his wife and their baby born 2-months premature and yet the club has demanded him to return back in time for this weekend's match with Chelsea.

They pretty much gave Adebayor as much time as he needed after the Togo bus attack but are not being as lenient with Tevez.
Don't you see where Mancini is coming from though? This is an absolutely crucial stretch for Man City with games against Liverpool and Chelsea, and their CL hopes more or less ride on the results they get, or could have gotten, this week. Adebayor could have easily been killed on that bus, and apparently he held a dying team member in his arms as the guy bled to death. I don't mean to imply that Carlos's situation isn't tragic, but I don't think it has the same "shock" effect that Adebayor's might have had. He is a professional soccer player, and I don't think it's unfair to expect him to return to his duties after a week off. 

Anderson's out for the rest of the season with a cruciate injury...
tired.gif

in the game against West Ham,he overstretched his knee trying to pass the ball with the outside of his foot...
frown.gif

these injuries are bugging us,especially with Rio and Vidic who are still not 100% fit...

^ Yeah, seeing him flick the ball with his left leg, it didn't even look that bad/awkward. Will Sir rest Rooney for the Carling Cup final?

Anyway bumped for this week's fixtures. I'm all about watching Bridge skip Terry during the pre-match handshakes...
EDIT 

Skipped

97132477.jpg
97132472.jpg

aecf3647dfc4ebc4cc67dffd4a707388-getty-89131653dm008_chelsea_v_man.jpg

Chelsea embarassed at home...
laugh.gif

United a point behind the Blues...should take a bit of the pressure off before tomorrow's Carling Cup final...

thanks Tevez...just don't score or play well against us the next time we meet,yeah?
happy.gif

Bridge's no-handshake with Terry...
eek.gif
 someone please make me a .gif of that...
pimp.gif

Typical Arsenal...have a golden opportunity to make this a 3-horse race and what do they do? Concede an early goal on the road.

On the bright side, Arsenal announced a reduction in their debt...which confirms Arsenal fans' suspicions that balancing the books is more of a priority than winning trophies. I think Wengers' hands are tied with regards to player personnel
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom