OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

Here's something I wrote about a trade I dreamt up for Peavy.

The trade could include:
James Loney, Andrew Lambo, Ethan Martin, Xavier Paul, Chin-Lung Hu

for

Jake Peavy, Adrian Gonzalez

(It really could be any combination of players, I just think we should really go after Peavy and Gonzalez)

There's not a recent precedent for young ML talent getting traded, and Loney has over 1100 AB already. It seems unlikely that the Padres would even ask for, or get Loney in a trade.

Peavy is scheduled to make $15, $16 and $17 million over the next 3 seasons. You gotta think there is no way that they can have him on the roster starting next season. Because they're attendance is dropping 14% this season already.

The teams willing to take that contract on are the usual suitors for big money guys, but Peavy has a full no trade clause through next season, meaning he can veto any trade. My guess is that the Cubs and Dodgers are the only two teams he'd seriously consider approving.

At that point, all we need the Padres to do is realize that no matter how good Peavy is, 3 years, $52 million is a ton of money which lowers Peavy's value, and that throwing Gonzalez into the deal since they are going to loose him after 2010 anyways is the only way to get top talent back.

Then Ned can get creative. If the Padres don't want Loney because he's closer to free agency than they want, then he can find prospects for Loney to flip to the Padres.

I don't think we should actively pursue trading Loney, but I could see that sequence of events happening regarding the Padres, Peavy and Dodgers. (Well, I can hope right)
Imagine this lineup:

Furcal
Hudson
Ethier
Manny
Gonzalez
Martin
Kemp
Blake
Pitcher

eek.gif

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Here's something I wrote about a trade I dreamt up for Peavy.

The trade could include:

for

(It really could be any combination of players, I just think we should really go after Peavy and Gonzalez)

There's not a recent precedent for young ML talent getting traded, and Loney has over 1100 AB already. It seems unlikely that the Padres would even ask for, or get Loney in a trade.

Peavy is scheduled to make $15, $16 and $17 million over the next 3 seasons. You gotta think there is no way that they can have him on the roster starting next season. Because they're attendance is dropping 14% this season already.

The teams willing to take that contract on are the usual suitors for big money guys, but Peavy has a full no trade clause through next season, meaning he can veto any trade. My guess is that the Cubs and Dodgers are the only two teams he'd seriously consider approving.

At that point, all we need the Padres to do is realize that no matter how good Peavy is, 3 years, $52 million is a ton of money which lowers Peavy's value, and that throwing Gonzalez into the deal since they are going to loose him after 2010 anyways is the only way to get top talent back.

Then Ned can get creative. If the Padres don't want Loney because he's closer to free agency than they want, then he can find prospects for Loney to flip to the Padres.

I don't think we should actively pursue trading Loney, but I could see that sequence of events happening regarding the Padres, Peavy and Dodgers. (Well, I can hope right)
Imagine this lineup:

Furcal
Hudson
Ethier
Manny
Gonzalez
Martin
Kemp
Blake
Pitcher

eek.gif

You really think the padres would take those second rate prospects for the two best players on their team?
No way, the dodgers are going to have to give up one of their frontline starters and either kemp or either. Otherwise, your right, your only dreaming.
laugh.gif

^ I dont see that being enough noway the Rockies deal him within the division ( unless you throw kemp in)

The trade could include:

for

I can't see the Padres trading their two best players to a division rival, also, can't see the Dodgers reloading the Padres with young andinexpensive talent. This trade would be ideal if these teams weren't rivals.

Although, if it was closer to reality, I don't see why Lambo would be included. I could see Loney, DeWitt, Martin, Paul and Hu going.

Think of the Padres lineup in 2-3 years.

C Hundley
1b Loney
2b Eckstein
SS Hu
3b DeWitt
OF Paul
OF Hairston
OF Headly

You really think the padres would take those second rate prospects for the two best players on their team?
No way, the dodgers are going to have to give up one of their frontline starters and either kemp or either. Otherwise, your right, your only dreaming
laugh.gif
, try to be knowledgeable at least,
smh.gif

The whole point of the deal is to get another front line starter, if the Dodgers have to give one up (Bills/Kershaw), it defeats the purpose of the trade. Itis safe to say that Martin, Ethier, Kemp, Bills, Broxton and Kershaw are untouchable. Loney is as well, but in a deal like this, I have no doubts that Loneywill be moved.

Those prospects are not second rate, their road to the show is blocked by established players.

The only reason I could see a trade going down between the Dodgers and the Pads is because the Dodgers have a lot of major league ready "second rateprospects" (
laugh.gif
) to spare (DeWitt, Hu, Abreu, Paul) and the Pads willhave to unload a lot of money, real soon.

I dont see that being enough noway the Rockies Padres deal him within the division ( unless you throw kemp in)
I don't think it will happen, but I can see it happening.

I'm not a fan of Peavy, he has had elbow issues and I think he is due for a major injury. His contract is backloaded. The Padres are not going to get asmuch as they think they will, if they would have received a decent package of prospects, they would have dealt him in the off season. The market for Peavynever developed.

Teams are waiting for the Padres to get desperate enough to unload Peavy at a cheaper rate. His contract is only getting bigger, and the Padres are cashstrapped. Throwing in Gonzales, makes any deal more attractive, but Gonzales will become a free agent after 2010. Gonzales is going to get paid, enough towhere the Padres won't be able to afford him. The Padres are going to operate like the Rays for awhile. Accumulating, young and cheap talent while theirbooks get straightened out.

Look at the Matt Holliday deal, the Rockies didn't even get that much for their face of the franchise.

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

I'd just like to say, the Giants are only 3 games behind
pimp.gif
mad.gif

Yeah, but the easy part of the schedule is over for the Giants. The Mets are going to AT&T Park for a 4 game series.

I will be lying if I said I wasn't surprised. They will gain ground, maybe even jump ahead, but they wont sustain it. The offense is
sick.gif

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

The trade could include:

for

I can't see the Padres trading their two best players to a division rival, also, can't see the Dodgers reloading the Padres with young and inexpensive talent. This trade would be ideal if these teams weren't rivals.

Although, if it was closer to reality, I don't see why Lambo would be included. I could see Loney, DeWitt, Martin, Paul and Hu going.

Think of the Padres lineup in 2-3 years.

That's the hurdle I can't get over.

But, I think this would be a great trade for the Dodgers (Especially because Peavy's contract isn't long-term, and if it turns out he goes down like somany pitchers do we'll be okay, as opposed to CC's contract) and Gonzalez's bat would be great, and we need a power bat after 2010 when Manny isgone.

I'm trying to convince myself that Peavy's no-trade clause will make it so that the Padres have to pick between Cubs and Dodgers, and then they'llrealize that they need to include Gonzalez to get a lot of value. It's somewhat farfetched, but there's a little bit of logic behind it. Especially if the Padres keep loosing money andattendance keeps dropping.

It's not the offense that I'm worried about(although it's not like the Offense is a strong-point of the team
laugh.gif
), it's the bullpen.

It's still way too early in the year to get excited about anything though.

I don't think it will happen, but I can see it happening.

I'm not a fan of Peavy, he has had elbow issues and I think he is due for a major injury. His contract is backloaded. The Padres are not going to get as much as they think they will, if they would have received a decent package of prospects, they would have dealt him in the off season. The market for Peavy never developed.

Teams are waiting for the Padres to get desperate enough to unload Peavy at a cheaper rate. His contract is only getting bigger, and the Padres are cash strapped. Throwing in Gonzales, makes any deal more attractive, but Gonzales will become a free agent after 2010. Gonzales is going to get paid, enough to where the Padres won't be able to afford him. The Padres are going to operate like the Rays for awhile. Accumulating, young and cheap talent while their books get straightened out.

Look at the Matt Holliday deal, the Rockies didn't even get that much for their face of the franchise.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
mad.gif

Yeah, but the easy part of the schedule is over for the Giants. The Mets are going to AT&T Park for a 4 game series.

I will be lying if I said I wasn't surprised. They will gain ground, maybe even jump ahead, but they wont sustain it. The offense is
sick.gif

20 runs in two games is just horrible yes?
By the time manny comes around, I expect the Giants to be 6 or 7 games up on the dodgers, and with the staff that the Giants have,its gonna take alot of workfor the dodgers to win the division.

a little short term fix, send leach back to AA/AAA promote milton.

sign geoff jenkins as a 1B / OF backup mainly to loney, send xavier down.

wait to see what the word on kuroda and schmidt - i wouldnt be surprised if kershaw starts working out the pen if he continues to give the same horriblecommand and high pitch count.

mind you this is being written on nyquil so bare with me.

why is this john ohh lame constantly lurking in this thread? go play in the imaginery dbacks season thread.

& LB510 peavy is on the padres not the rockies.

also pmac, IMO it just makes no sense for the dodgers & padres to trade such big names especially being rivals. we'd really need them to nosedive hardfor them to even consider.

if a pitcher like halladay becomes available Jmac would be interesting bait.

todays game was so frustrating to watch, kershaw cannot be counted on to go on the mound and get guys out. it was easy to come back from a 2-3 run deficit whenwe had manny in the lineup - but with clueless furcal, ethier, loney at the plate itll be a little harder manufacturing runs.

the thing with furcal, we havent seen any sort of hot streak, consistent hitting - we do see him getting completely fooled and just eyeing pitches down thepipe for a strike.

loney & martin need to drink a couple protein shakes a day and hit a damn HR on this road trip.

anyways, im out
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by John Ohh

pimp.gif
mad.gif

sick.gif

By the time manny comes around, I expect the Giants to be 6 or 7 games up on the dodgers, and with the staff that the Giants have,its gonna take alot of work for the dodgers to win the division.
Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

But i will say it looks like the Giants might be back contending.
pimp.gif

also pmac, IMO it just makes no sense for the dodgers & padres to trade such big names especially being rivals. we'd really need them to nosedive hard for them to even consider.
financial nosedive or in the standings?

By the time manny comes around, I expect the Giants to be 6 or 7 games up on the dodgers, and with the staff that the Giants have,its gonna take alot of work for the dodgers to win the division.
I hope you are still around when this doesn't come to fruition. It is safe to say that the Padres, Rockies and the D'Backs are out of therace. The D'Backs are talented, and will make a surge, but they've dug themselves a huge hole, and they just canned their manager.

It will be the Dodgers and Giants, until the Dodges runaway with it in September. The Dodgers have stumbled out the blocks, and the Giants are hot right now.

a little short term fix, send leach back to AA/AAA promote milton.
Agreed, send Leach to Chattanooga, he wasn't ready. Milton is doing good in ABQ, give him a shot.

sign geoff jenkins as a 1B / OF backup mainly to loney, send xavier down.
I don't know if Jenkins is the answer, but if Paul isn't getting any PT, then send him down. The Dodgers have four outfielders in Ethier,Kemp, Pierre and Blake. The good thing is that we have players that can play multiple positions in Loretta, Castro and Blake.

wait to see what the word on kuroda and schmidt - i wouldnt be surprised if kershaw starts working out the pen if he continues to give the same horrible command and high pitch count.

When Kuroda comes back, it will be huge. A big boost. Kershaw will not go into the bullpen, he is just battling inconsistency at this point. Atrip back to the bullpen will hinder his development, he has to iron out the kinks as a Starter.

also pmac, IMO it just makes no sense for the dodgers & padres to trade such big names especially being rivals. we'd really need them to nosedive hard for them to even consider.
I think the only reason that a deal hasn't happened is that they are division rivals, other than that the deal makes TOO much sense. ThePadres will need to unload Peavy and Gonzales and in order for them to get maximum value they will have to be packaged together. The Dodgers make the mostsense, but being that they are rivals, a deal is less likely to happen. Think about it though.

I expect the Giants to be 6 or 7 games up on the dodgers,
Ha, ha!

We all knew the pitching was going to be a problem, and here it is. It's too soon for teams to be unloading, but I just want to know why Pedro has not beensigned by any team. I wonder if his on that list of players.

Damn, Doyers. Lets take 2 of 3 from Philly.

Damn, Jake Peavy & Adrian Gonzalez in Dodger Blue
eek.gif

But like every single on of you said, if they weren't division rivals, this trade would be talked about.
ohwell.gif

I'm not a fan of Peavy, he has had elbow issues and I think he is due for a major injury. His contract is backloaded. The Padres are not going to get as much as they think they will, if they would have received a decent package of prospects, they would have dealt him in the off season. The market for Peavy never developed.
dude is money at dodger stadium. but i just have a feeling hes gonnah ave arm troubles soon. he looked horrible in the wbc and didnt look too goodthis season when i saw him a couple games. i think hes gotten back to normal, but his arm worries me
grin.gif

and with so many teams taking a hit with attendence/revenues cuz of the recession, i dont see many teams offering their stable for peavy. unless 2 teams in thesame division battling for him at the deadline, i dont see the padres getting as much as they originally thought for him. he has a good chunk of cash coming tohim and not many teams can afford that

but adrian gonzalez would be
eek.gif
. dude is quietly putting up numbers. but iwouldnt be able to bare seeing all those strikeouts
grin.gif

I'd take Gonzalez over Loney all day, every day.
as long as they can resign him. I'm not losing out on Loney and then losing out on Gonzales a year later.
The guy would be a cult hero in L.A. Not quite "Fernando-mania", but hell, the guy is from TJ isn't he?

-J-

with the huge mexican following the dodgers have...i think it could/would be good to have him as 1 of the faces of the team.

Originally Posted by amarusgear

I expect the Giants to be 6 or 7 games up on the dodgers,
Ha, ha!

We all knew the pitching was going to be a problem, and here it is. It's too soon for teams to be unloading, but I just want to know why Pedro has not been signed by any team. I wonder if his on that list of players.

Damn, Doyers. Lets take 2 of 3 from Philly.

Are you going to give me a reason why that statement is a HA HA?
or are you going to just act like a little first grader because you know it could possible happen?

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Here's a reason.

The Giants offense is terrible.

The dodgers pitching is horrible with the exception on Bills, and maybe stultz.The giants have all 5 pitchers that can win each game. Your hitting is anemicright now as well and the giants have scored 30 runs in 4 games.The giants have taken two out of three from the dodgers the past two series, goes to show thathitting doesn't necessarly win you games.

Back
Top Bottom