OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

laugh.gif
BN peep your PM

So I know this is a bit premature by about 5 months, but....

When batterymates report to Glendale, is this oaf still the starter at the 2?

A split, ehhh.

Solid outing by Garland, the nerves almost got a hold of him during the first couple innings but he settled in nice.

Way to get deep into the game and put the lead in the hands of our BP.

Padilla and Garland doing quite well
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

So I know this is a bit premature by about 5 months, but....

When batterymates report to Glendale, is this oaf still the starter at the 2?

3 good seasons, one bad one.

The one bad one came after catching almost every single game those first 3.

If you look around baseball, you'll see a lot of catcher having down years. The best option we would have had was traded for Casey Blake

i know everybody has down years, but does anybody think some of these "down year" is due to roids/testing?

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

i know everybody has down years, but does anybody think some of these "down year" is due to roids/testing?

eek.gif

did you think of that all by yourself? did you even make your bed by yourself also this morning?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

eek.gif

did you think of that all by yourself? did you even make your bed by yourself also this morning?
laugh.gif
roll.gif
shut up! obviously....but i was trying to hint at possiblyrussell, furcal....loney maybe?

eek.gif

laugh.gif
roll.gif
shut up! obviously....but i was trying to hint at possibly russell, furcal....loney maybe?

Wait!

Since all these guys are having down years, they were roiding.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Russ is having a down year. Outside of the Molina brothers, it seems that every Catcher in the NL is having a down year. Anyone see Geovany Soto?
nerd.gif

Plus, these guys came up, post "Steroid Era". Loney never had power in the first place. He was always a gap hitter. In fact, he was alwaysprojected to be a Mark Grace type first baseman. Not Mark McGwire....Mark Grace. The same Mark Grace that never topped 20 home runs, yet had a productivecareer as a corner infielder.

Rafael Furcal has had a bad year, but he was coming off a major back injury. Plus, his defense has been great considering his injury. He has said often thathe is not "all the way" back yet, no pun intended. Despite that, he has had some clutch extra base hits, and a couple of leadoff home runs. His OBPcould be better.

To me it is frustrating to see Loney bat, because he has gone away from what made him so good. Power to the gaps, make contact and grind out hits. It seemsas he is putting pressure on himself to be a power hitter. That is why you often see him "half swinging"
smh.gif
. It is my biggest gripe with Loney. Continue hitting the gaps and get all those RBI's you were getting in th first half of the season. He was on pace to hit 5 HR's and about 110RBI's
laugh.gif

Call us the only voice of reason, PMAC and myself, but you guys are way too negative.

Lost in the shuffle with our non-clutch and slumping offense has been the effectiveness of the Pitching staff. Which does not get the credit it deserves,which is good, let them go into the playoffs with a chip on their shoulder.

Also, the bullpen inmplosion that BN and others have been calling for has failed to materialize.

Division Race is over, don't see why you guys are still worried about the damn Rockies and Giants.

The Rockies have been terrible within the division, and the Giants are terrible on the road.

I'm more worried about keeping pace ahead of the Cardinals and the Phillies, which we have.

Yesterday was the first time we were tied for the best record in the NL since May 3. We are 1 game up on the Cards and Phillies.

Despite the fact that some of you make it seem as if we have the worst team in baseball, we still have the best record in the NL. The Yanks are playing out oftheir mind right now, but there is no point in keeping pace with them. Thanks the the All Star Game, the best record in baseball is an irrelevant feat.

Sleep well.

As for those "pesky" Padres. Maybe in years past, when they actually had decent players on their roster. We are 9-4 agaisnt the Padres this year. I remember the Padres being "pesky", not this year. I think we will sweep, but 2 out of 3 will suffice.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Remember when you guys said George Sherrill wasn't good?
nerd.gif
Only one person said that
nerd.gif

eek.gif

laugh.gif
Oh noooo
laugh.gif

But honestly, I think Furcal was another contract year wonder - his surgically repair back makes him very conscious out there.

J. Martin is an exact Paul Lo Duca clone, once he tries to get away from swinging for the fences - he'll be ok (i kno him and gagne are boys
nerd.gif
)

Loney the awkward half swinging needs to cease
laugh.gif
That's gonna be hisknock his WHOLE time in L.A ... no power stroke. But, once he uses the field he's a very good hitter.

I just don't know how long fans will embrace him since people expect 1B to be a "power-position" even if he drives in 100+ runs.

If that makes any sense.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Call us the only voice of reason, PMAC and myself, but you guys are way too negative.
laugh.gif
We'll call you guys PB&J.

ooIRON MANoo wrote:

Also, the bullpen implosion that BN and others have been calling for has failed to materialize.
I've said:

Kuo - hard to depend on him due to his injury history
Brox - He's a softy and he ain't cold blooded

I've said about the pitching staff:

JMAC - he had no business being the 5th starter

September 04, 2009
[h1]Rush to judgment[/h1]
September 4, 2009 | 10:04 am

If the past X games firmly predicted the next X games, then the Dodgers wouldn't be playing .500ish ball after their hot start and St. Louis wouldn't be tearing up the league.

World Series champions aren't determined in August and September any more (well, much more) than they are in April and May.

The Cardinals, for example, look better than the Dodgers right now, with the added twist that they have seemed to have toyed with Los Angeles in recent years. But that kind of look can change without warning. If you've watched baseball at all, you know this.

There's nothing wrong with a sober look at the Dodgers. If their run-scoring doesn't tick up a notch, they'll continue to depend on exceptional pitching; if the pitching then falters, the trouble worsens; if the Cardinals don't cool off, there's a trainwreck waiting to happen.

Is every single thing going to go wrong? I suppose that could happen.

It's my opinion that the ability of other teams to sustain a championship performance in October is not much different than the Dodgers'. Perhaps the Dodgers will be underdogs, and as I've written before, there's no glory in being an underdog unless you exceed those diminished expectations. The Dodgers remain very much capable of greatness and grimness.

More importantly at this point, though, I'm in no rush to find out. It's September already; soon it will be October -- the days are flying by. Trying to extrapolate the 2009 Dodgers' ultimate fate from a single month or week or game or inning or at-bat or pitch or drop of sweat, as I've seen others do, strikes me as an understandable but fairly uninformed pasttime. If it enhances your enjoyment of a pennant race, great -- but don't let it ruin things during the best two months of the season. Don't jump to conclusions just because you can. Baseball is smarter than you, any day of the week.

Thanks, Jon

Back
Top Bottom