***Official 2009 N.L. Central Thread*** Congrats to the Cardinals***

W7o4LapA.jpg
[h2]Three jacks a winner for Cards[/h2] [h3]Duncan, Pujols, Molina go deep in pounding of Pirates

[/h3]
By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

04/08/09 1:27 AM ET
Box >ST. LOUIS -- Consider it a do-over.
The Cardinals did nearly everything right in the second game of their 2009 season, riding a barrage of extra-base hits and a quality starting pitching performance to a 9-3 win over the Pirates at Busch Stadium on Tuesday. St. Louis avoided what would have been its second 0-2 start in three years and erased some of the ugly memories of a frustrating Opening Day loss.

One day after a bullpen blowup ruined the good feelings of the season opener, the Cards built a advantage healthy enough that there was no drama in the late innings -- or even the middle innings. The Cardinals scored in each of the first five frames to build a lead that proved insurmountable for the visiting Buccos.

Albert Pujols, clearly free of a mini-slump that slowed him late in Spring Training, reached base four times and drilled a two-run home run. Chris Duncan went deep for the first time in over nine months. Yadier Molina tripled -- yes, tripled -- and homered. And Joe Thurston, making his first start as a Cardinal, drove in two runs with a single and a double.

It was a complete offensive performance, with six different Cardinals tallying at least two runs or two RBIs.

"Everybody played the game the right way," said Pujols.

This is exactly the kind of lineup depth the Cardinals hope to showcase on a regular basis in 2009. There's no doubt it all starts with Pujols, the two-time National League Most Valuable Player, but if it ends with him as well, that won't be enough. On Tuesday, everybody got in on the fun.

In the bottom of the first, down a run, the first two St. Louis hitters were retired. Pittsburgh starter Ian Snell, whom Pujols has abused over the years, walked the slugger without much of an attempt to do anything else. But Duncan made that decision look very bad when he smoked a two-run shot 348 feet off of the right-field foul pole.

It was Duncan's first home run since July 2, 2008. In the intervening time, he underwent a highly unusual surgery to insert a titanium disk in his back. Duncan's power had been sapped by the back injury that necessitated the surgery, as well as a sports hernia, but he has looked like his old self in Spring Training and early in the season.

"Chris had a good spring, and I think he's carrying that into the season," Pujols said. "You can call Chris a veteran guy now, because he knows that he belongs here, and he knows that he's capable to hit in this league. I think as long as he doesn't try to do too much and lets the game come to him, I think he's going to be fine. I'm glad to see him swinging the bat great."

An inning later, Molina huffed and puffed his way to the second triple of his career, then scored on Thurston's double as the Cards took a 3-1 lead. St. Louis broke it open in the third, with Pujols again at the center of things, but not acting on his own. Colby Rasmus led off with a single, his first big league hit, and Pujols followed with a 419-foot homer over the visitors' bullpen and into the bleachers in left field.

After Snell got two outs, giving himself a chance to end the inning, Rick Ankiel singled, Molina walked and Thurston singled home the sixth run. Snell lasted another inning before being chased with a line of eight runs (six earned) over four frames.

"We faced him a lot last year and the year before, so we've got a pretty good idea of what he's throwing," Molina said. "We've got a pretty good plan against him, and we executed it pretty good."

The cushion made life easier for Cardinals starter Kyle Lohse, who breezed through the second, third, fourth and fifth with only an infield hit as a blemish. A Skip Schumaker error preceded Freddy Sanchez's two-run homer, but that only made a blowout a little bit closer. Lohse battled through that inning and the seventh before handing the ball over to his bullpen.

"I felt like I was a little too juiced early, and the ball was getting up on me," Lohse said. "But after that, I felt like I settled in and tried to ground out the last couple innings. I didn't have my best stuff at the end, but I made it work."

Matthew Leachis a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Great game, we should be sweeping these guys
smh.gif

Only thing that pissed me off last night is the fact that my original seats were where Pujols hit that home run.........But before the game started i decidedto sit in a section where my co-worker is a manager for the free food and a view of the entire field............and i coulda had a chance at that ball SMH @ me

laugh.gif
Pace yourself FB, that's not W4L, it's just another Brewersfan. No need to attack him like that just yet.
laugh.gif

You need to save your ammo for when Wisco4life comes in to play.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

laugh.gif
Pace yourself FB, that's not W4L, it's just another Brewers fan. No need to attack him like that just yet.
laugh.gif

You need to save your ammo for when Wisco4life comes in to play.
pimp.gif
Word, my bad youngmoney. W4L has painted a big bullseye on the Brewers
laugh.gif

tonight's lineup:

Reds:

Jerry Hairston Jr. cf

Chris Dickerson lf

Joey Votto 1b

Brandon Phillips 2b

Jay Bruce rf

Edwin Encarnacion 3b

Ramon Hernandez c

Alex Gonzalez ss

Edinson Volquez p

Haven't talked to Dusty Baker yet, but I've got to think Willy Taveras is still sick.

Damn Volquez fell apart
smh.gif

Why the @#$% is lincoln in the game against all these lefties
mad.gif

Fukudome with the homerun. 4 hits for him tonight, man that's great to see, get his confidence back up, it's a long season we're gonna need him

Just when I think Fukudome will be ridden out of town on a rail he has a nigh t like this.

I still think he will be gone at some point this season. I hope i am proven wrong.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by THE SAUNA

Fukudome with the homerun. 4 hits for him tonight, man that's great to see, get his confidence back up, it's a long season we're gonna need him

True that.

I just want this game to be over.....I've been nervous all night.

Another L against the Pirates..........They better play this hard against every team they play this year, not just us.

P.S.

Ive never liked Wellemeyer............Obviously for good reason. Dude always looks really lazy like he doesnt want to pitch or something.

We`ll win tomorrow, Carp has looked great thus far and hopefully its the same for his first start of the season.

why be nervous...we had it

i checked the boxscore from my phone during class and seen it was 8-0 and fuku had 3 hits i thought it was a typo haha

Just got home from GABP.

-Volquez couldn't throw strikes. IMO it was the cold. He struggles with ball/strike count anyways but I don't think the cold helped.
-I want whatever medicine Taveras got in the 7th to roll off the bench recovering from the flu and rope a triple
-Lincoln absolutely sucked it up, but you all knew that already.

In the process of uploading pictures from the game, check the blog if interested (link in signature).

Back
Top Bottom