:: Official 2009 NBA Draft Thread ::

Unfortately, I'm with Enlightened Thought on this bhz
smh.gif

I have not encountered any news that makes me believe Rubio wants to be in Memphis. Like you mentioned, Memphis should trade #2 for a PF or trade down whilepicking up an additional asset or two. Frankly, I'll be happy as long as Thabeet isn't a Grizzly.

I've been over at the Bobcats' workouts shooting videos (along with one of our other guys). You can check them out here: http://www.sportingnews.c...aseline/tag/160335/Video We've got vid of Stephen Curry,Gerald Henderson, Sam Young, James Johnson, Earl Clark and others.

Also just heard this evening that Terrence Williams and Gerald Henderson are back in Charlotte for a second workout for the team tomorrow. I'll berelatively surprised if one of those two guys doesn't go to them. I'll be over there for that workout tomorrow, plus Tuesday's if they have anyfirst-round types in. Also, M.J. is supposed to be in attendance at tomorrow's workout, according to T-Will.

The only GM who would take back Gil's contract is Zeke...and he's in Southern Florida right now.

^ill take gils contract if you take one of ours
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

the thing is, if agent 0 can come back playing healthy again, if his trade value rises, some teams may take a closer look.

Originally Posted by Enlightened Thought

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

I'm more excited about this draft night than I was the past two drafts because we actually have some leverage unlike the past two drafts.
i don't think the grizzlies have any leverage at all actually.

Why is that? The outcome of the next 4-5 picks after us will decide on whether or not we take Rubio. We will take Rubio regardless if he likes it or not or if the media likes it or not. What we get for him is the leverage we have, because Memphis isn't trying to win right now anyway. They are willing to wait another year if he's that serious about not playing for us. You fight fire with fire, so I'm sure they won't back down by any threat. Having the 2nd pick FTW.
pimp.gif

And the leverage also comes in when teams really want the guy and if the trade is too good to be true we will take it. What's funny is how people can believe the speculation of Rubio not wanting to play in Memphis, but when trades come about that favor the Grizz then its not true. If Memphis doesn't pick Rubio, I don't know what I'll do or the city. Most basketball knowledge Memphis fans want Rubio.
that's delusional. how is that leverage in any way? picking a player who doesn't want to play for the team? that's not leverage. this is like the exact situation when the team drafted steve francis and was forced to trade him away. they didn't get much in return. when teams know the player doesn't want to play there, they're gonna undercut the team with offers.

you continue to believe that rubio wants to play for memphis yet he, his agent and his entire camp have suggested otherwise. obviously, you can never trust everything you read, but there's something in the air that suggests that other teams aren't going to cave in to memphis' trade demands. maybe that's why i don't see memphis with any type of leverage.

The outcome of the next 4-5 picks after us will decide on whether or not we take Rubio.
but that's how every draft works. the outcome of the following picks will be determined by the player a team picks in the top 3...how is this any different? all i'm trying to say is the grizzlies have little to no leverage in this draft. nobody has any leverage in this weak draft.

It's leverage because there have been around 8 teams trying to trade up for the no.2 pick either to take Rubio and in less cases Thabeet. Why would Memphisbe dumb enough to take a player like Harden, Evans, etc. at no.2 completely losing any chance of gaining any assets along with another lottery pick if theytake the player that all those teams want? That's why I say Memphis has the leverage. Taking Rubio will give Memphis the opportunity to gain multipleassets in a deal that will fill more than one need. Take Evans will just fill one need and its nothing Memphis could really do after that. Do you see whatI'm saying? The Francis situation is completely different. The draft isn't being ran by the same management, Memphis is not going to be threatening bythe situation especially when they've already met with him in Spain. I would think that if they were so sure about not going to Memphis that hewould've never met with the team in the first place in Spain which was the first team he actually met with before Sacramento and the Thunder. That'swhat people also don't realize. He may not visit Memphis while he's in the US, but what's the point when he's already talked to them andbasically doing the same thing with those other teams that he's already done with Memphis?

you continue to believe that rubio wants to play for memphis yet he, his agent and his entire camp have suggested otherwise.
Find me a source that says Rubio himself said he doesn't want to play in Memphis and I'll paypal you $20.
laugh.gif
He NEVER said it. It's Dan Fegan who is trying to boost this thing up tosomething that he doesn't have to do. If Fegan (Rubio's agent) doesn't want him to be in Memphis, he better start getting on the phone himself toget teams to make some good offers because I'm 99.9% sure Memphis is going to just overlook Rubio because of some threats. EVERY article you readdoesn't even quote Fegan himself either. The only article I read where Fegan was quoted talking about Memphis was when he basically 'I don't mindRubio in Memphis as long as they aren't fully committed to Conley at PG'. That's the only quote I've read from him concering the Memphissituation. Chad Ford, draftexpress, realgm, all those other sites are basically getting their information from each other.

I won't say I'm wrong until proven otherwise, but hey we will find out on draft night. If I'm wrong, I will completely admit it.

but that's how every draft works. the outcome of the following picks will be determined by the player a team picks in the top 3...how is this any different?
This is a weak draft like you mentioned. The only two prospects people are constantly talking about is Griffin and Rubio. You don't thinkteams would want to trade up one of these two guys knowing that the other prospects could basically be had anywhere between 3-10? So, no that's not howevery draft works. What you stated is common logic, but I'm talking about in terms of their only being two main prospects in this draft. Yes, anybody inthe top 10 can end up being the best player of the draft potentially, but those two can almost be called a sure thing in some cases.

All I'm saying is if you're drafting in the upper end of the lottery, you draft for talent > need. In the Grizz situation, they don't need totake a chance on drafting with need. They have capspace and trade assets to fix their needs. Just go with the best talent, if its that true that Rubiodoesn't want to play here then ship him off to a team that gives us the best offer. Out of all the things to do, its not logical to draft Thabeet, Evans,Harden, Curry, etc. when there's a good chance you can get either player anywhere between 4-6 along with a few more assets. If the organization doesn'tthink Rubio will be great, I know that there are other GM's who are high on them. Memphis just needs to make it hard on them to not just let Rubio lay intheir lap without paying any compensation. The Kings and Twolves for example. Why let Rubio drop to either of those teams for free, when Memphis can make atrade to gain multiple assets?

Whatever Memphis do, I trust them because I've been content with the moves they've made understanding what they're trying to do for the future. Ifthey end up taking somebody other than Rubio at two, then let it be. I would like for them to prove me wrong and get another player that will actually end upbeing better. I know they surprised the hell outta me last year at the end of draft night grabbing OJ.

From the Washington post:
Oklahoma City is interesting, but mostly because General Manager Sam Presti is quite shrewd and opportunistic. Realizing the value in Rubio -- the Knicks and Timberwolves are among the handful of teams that would love to have him -- Presti might be willing to move him to get more assets for the team he is building.
This is what I'm talking about. Why when it comes to Memphis doing the exact same thing its not the best option, but since OKC and Presticould possibly do this its a great idea for them?
eyes.gif
It's common draftknowledge
laugh.gif

We need Flynn, Curry, or even Hill wouldnt be bad

My boy BJ gunna be mad when he see this lol

Hahahaha B im playin, I know you gunna go before 8 though
wink.gif

I'm more excited about this draft night than I was the past two drafts because we actually have some leverage unlike the past two drafts.
i don't think the grizzlies have any leverage at all actually.

Why is that? The outcome of the next 4-5 picks after us will decide on whether or not we take Rubio. We will take Rubio regardless if he likes it or not or if the media likes it or not. What we get for him is the leverage we have, because Memphis isn't trying to win right now anyway. They are willing to wait another year if he's that serious about not playing for us. You fight fire with fire, so I'm sure they won't back down by any threat. Having the 2nd pick FTW.
pimp.gif

And the leverage also comes in when teams really want the guy and if the trade is too good to be true we will take it. What's funny is how people can believe the speculation of Rubio not wanting to play in Memphis, but when trades come about that favor the Grizz then its not true. If Memphis doesn't pick Rubio, I don't know what I'll do or the city. Most basketball knowledge Memphis fans want Rubio.
that's delusional. how is that leverage in any way? picking a player who doesn't want to play for the team? that's not leverage. this is like the exact situation when the team drafted steve francis and was forced to trade him away. they didn't get much in return. when teams know the player doesn't want to play there, they're gonna undercut the team with offers.

you continue to believe that rubio wants to play for memphis yet he, his agent and his entire camp have suggested otherwise. obviously, you can never trust everything you read, but there's something in the air that suggests that other teams aren't going to cave in to memphis' trade demands. maybe that's why i don't see memphis with any type of leverage.

The outcome of the next 4-5 picks after us will decide on whether or not we take Rubio.
but that's how every draft works. the outcome of the following picks will be determined by the player a team picks in the top 3...how is this any different? all i'm trying to say is the grizzlies have little to no leverage in this draft. nobody has any leverage in this weak draft.

QFT ON EVERYTHING

and how many times have we said Rubio himself will never say he doesnt want to play for memphis his team doing the talking says it all. Its the same way therewas "rumors" of Oj mayo not wanting to play for the T'wolves last year he himself would never say it but his team and his agent put it out therethat he didnt want to. Kobe himself never said he didnt want to play for the Hornets his agent did. Rubio will never say it

QFT ON EVERYTHING

and how many times have we said Rubio himself will never say he doesnt want to play for memphis his team doing the talking says it all. Its the same way there was "rumors" of Oj mayo not wanting to play for the T'wolves last year he himself would never say it but his team and his agent put it out there that he didnt want to. Kobe himself never said he didnt want to play for the Hornets his agent did. Rubio will never say it
My thing now isn't Rubio playing in a Memphis jersey next season. My thing is why is it bad for the team to draft him, trade him for multipleassets opposed to drafting another player they can get 2-4 spots down and losing control of getting more out of the draft?

lol. i won't argue with you any further. seems youre adament on memphis having some sort of leverage in this draft when i clearly think they have nothingto work with at all. the best they can do is to get a top ten pick with filler (i'd be surprised if they'd a package like thompson and the 4th). i'm thinking a top ten pick with a role player or so at best.

as far as rubio saying anything about playing for memphis, i agree with you. he hasn't said anything. but i don't think you can just discrediteverything you read or hear about his dislikings toward memphis. just saying is alls.

Originally Posted by The Game is a Foot

Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy

Portland will be leaving the draft with David Lee.

That's all I know.
pimp.gif

You can't trade restricted free agents until the signing period begins in July...

You can do a sign and trade, though.

QFT ON EVERYTHING

and how many times have we said Rubio himself will never say he doesnt want to play for memphis his team doing the talking says it all. Its the same way there was "rumors" of Oj mayo not wanting to play for the T'wolves last year he himself would never say it but his team and his agent put it out there that he didnt want to. Kobe himself never said he didnt want to play for the Hornets his agent did. Rubio will never say it
My thing now isn't Rubio playing in a Memphis jersey next season. My thing is why is it bad for the team to draft him, trade him for multiple assets opposed to drafting another player they can get 2-4 spots down and losing control of getting more out of the draft?

If Rubio doesn't want to play in Memphis they don't have much leverage. Look at Yi to prove that issue.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

QFT ON EVERYTHING

My thing now isn't Rubio playing in a Memphis jersey next season. My thing is why is it bad for the team to draft him, trade him for multiple assets opposed to drafting another player they can get 2-4 spots down and losing control of getting more out of the draft?
If Rubio doesn't want to play in Memphis they don't have much leverage. Look at Yi to prove that issue.
Look where he's at now.

lol. i won't argue with you any further. seems youre adament on memphis having some sort of leverage in this draft when i clearly think they have nothing to work with at all. the best they can do is to get a top ten pick with filler (i'd be surprised if they'd a package like thompson and the 4th). i'm thinking a top ten pick with a role player or so at best.

as far as rubio saying anything about playing for memphis, i agree with you. he hasn't said anything. but i don't think you can just discredit everything you read or hear about his dislikings toward memphis. just saying is alls.
laugh.gif
Memphis fans thinking they can turn the 2 pick into gold
roll.gif

Your owner/GM is an idiot. They'll probably trade away that pick for an expiring contract
laugh.gif

I can see it now.....

Memphis trades:
2nd Overall pick
Rudy Gay

Sacramento trades:
4th Overall pick
Kenny Thomas
Francisco Garcia
laugh.gif

I've read reports that Memphis likes Thabeet. I don't know how true that is now since he injured his shoulder.

QFT ON EVERYTHING

The thing is... If they draft him and EVERYBODY around the league knows he doesn't want to be in Memphis, what leverage do they have to tradehim?

They're better off trading that pick before they make it and starting the bidding war with however many teams, or just going in another directionentirely... Drafting Rubio and trying to trade him after the fact costs them all their leverage, because everybody knows Rubio doesn't want to go there andprobably wouldn't sign...

At least if they put the pick up for trade beforehand there's the threat that Oklahoma City or Sacramento (both of whom Rubio would supposedly play for)take him and they have that leverage with teams like Minnesota and New York...

Face it... Ricky Rubio doesn't want to play in Memphis. The whispers wouldn't be out there if it weren't true.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

QFT ON EVERYTHING

The thing is... If they draft him and EVERYBODY around the league knows he doesn't want to be in Memphis, what leverage do they have to trade him?

NONE

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

QFT ON EVERYTHING

Look where he's at now.

Look what they got for him

Tyler Hansbrough got a green room invite...this is amazing. This guy is really about to go lottery.

kix4kix wrote:

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

QFT ON EVERYTHING

Look where he's at now.

Look what they got for him
Basically, they got an all-star in Richard Jefferson for an unproven Chinese star and Bobby Simmons.
grin.gif

Memphis fans thinking they can turn the 2 pick into gold
roll.gif

Your owner/GM is an idiot. They'll probably trade away that pick for an expiring contract
laugh.gif

alien.gif
Typical fan outside of Memphis that doesn't knowwhat's going on. It's understandable for you to feel that way though. Like I said, we will just have to wait and see on draft night right? You would besurprised what our "idiotic" GM can pull off on draft night. He was sure looking for an expiring contract in the Mayo trade.
laugh.gif
Look at the reasons why Rubio says he likes Sacramento. Young players?
laugh.gif
Sacramento better be lucky they in California or you would be hearing reportsabout him declining your team as well.

I'm not going to lie, but what the Grizzlies have done post-Pau has done absolutely nothing to convince outsiders that this team is serious about winning.They only seem to be serious about spending as little money as possible. So, I can understand where outside fans are coming from and potential draft picks,free agents, etc.

as far as rubio saying anything about playing for memphis, i agree with you. he hasn't said anything. but i don't think you can just discredit everything you read or hear about his dislikings toward memphis. just saying is alls.
You're right. I can't discredit everything, but when the media keeps saying it and never citing their sources makes me wonder. It'sdifferent sites with basically the same story like they're reading off each other sites or something. If you're just going to say the same thing ChadFord said, then why mention it as well?

I've read reports that Memphis likes Thabeet. I don't know how true that is now since he injured his shoulder.
They flew out to LA to meet with him after he injured his shoulder before workouts. He was suppose to work out with Derozan and somebody else inMemphis. I don't know how true it is either, at this point you can't believe anything because there are a million rumors going around about whatMemphis might do with the 2nd pick. I'm just waiting on draft night for all the questions to be answered.

The thing is... If they draft him and EVERYBODY around the league knows he doesn't want to be in Memphis, what leverage do they have to trade him?
Same as if OKC drafts him and trades him away. Rubio has visited with the top 4 lottery picks, but he only be RUMORED to like LA and Sacramento.If he knows Memphis situation with Conley, he should know the Thunder situation with Westbrook.

I'm just waiting on draft night.

Green Room Invites

The list of players that will invited to attend the NBA Draft in Madison Square Garden Theater on June 25th is slowly beginning to trickle out, and we're here to report what we've found thus far. The Green Room invite list is an exclusive group of players that the NBA has done its due diligence to confirm that they will be drafted in the lottery or not far after, compiled from a poll of NBA GM's conducted by Stu Jackson.

Being invited to the Green Room means the player will sit with his family at the front of the theater in front of the commissioner, have his name called [hopefully] early in the draft, given a hat with his new team's logo on it, and then brought up to the podium to shake David Stern's hand.

The day before the draft, the players invited will participate in a media session at the Westin Hotel, which will be attended and covered in great depth by DraftExpress.

Our understanding is that the League had about as tough a time as ever putting the list together this year-due to the extreme uncertainty that goes along with a draft featuring so much parity-- and that there was a great deal of back and forth that went on with teams until the list was finalized on Friday evening. Typically there are 15 players invited to attend, but the NBA reserves the right to bring in less or more at their judgment. Right now we know about 13 players that have confirmed.

Here are the invites, from what we've been able to gather:

1. Blake Griffin
2. James Harden
3. Hasheem Thabeet
4. Ricky Rubio
5. Jordan Hill
6. Tyreke Evans
7. Stephen Curry
8. Jonny Flynn
9. Demar DeRozan
10. Jrue Holiday
11. Gerald Henderson
12. Brandon Jennings
13. Tyler Hansbrough
14. B.J. Mullens (potentially declining)
15. James Johnson (declining invite)
16. Eric Maynor (potentially declining)

The first two things that come to mind when looking at this list are, who got snubbed, and who will be the last player sitting in the Green Room?

The biggest snubs would likely be considered Terrence Williams, Austin Daye, Earl Clark and DeJuan Blair. There is apparently still a chance that one or more of them could make it to the Green Room when it's all said and done, as at least one snubbed agent thinks that "discussions are on-going." We were unable to confirm whether Ty Lawson was invited or not.

Who will be the last one sitting in the Green Room? Just going off our latest mock draft, the answer to that would be Tyler Hansbrough. A strong workout on Tuesday in New Jersey (drafting 11th) could change that, though.

There seems to be a lot of uncertainty about where Brandon Jennings may end up too. We currently have him slated to be drafted 13th by the Pacers, but sources close to the situation indicate that there are some concerns there that could lead them in the direction of Ty Lawson or Eric Maynor instead. The fact that he worked out for Phoenix on Saturday for the #14 pick is a pretty good indication that he, like most of us, has no idea where he's going to get drafted at this point. If Jennings begins to slip a bit, look for ESPN's college basketball crew to not miss the opportunity to get some shots in at his decision to skip the NCAA for Europe.

Running down the Top-5 of the Draft

Today came word from the Associated Press that Hasheem Thabeet canceled his workout with the Memphis Grizzlies, citing a shoulder injury.

"Thabeet was a combination of he's had some shoulder situations and he wanted to talk to some other teams," Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace said of the 7-foot-3 center out of Connecticut. "It's also what goes on this time of the year with guys showing, not showing, that type of thing. The gamesmanship of the draft."

A quick call to Thabeet's agent, Ugo Udezue, seems to indicate differently. "He has scheduling issues," Udezue told us. "He has to come to New York to see his family real quick."

Digging a bit deeper, though, it simply seems like Thabeet just isn't interested in working out for anyone at this point, since he does not feel like that setting is conducive to his strengths. "He's not going to block shots in a workout, and that's what he's going to do in the NBA," Udezue told us. "What are they going to do, have Hasheem shoot 3-pointers? Ricky Rubio is not doing any workouts either."

Speaking of Rubio, do we have a second player openly telling the Grizzlies that they aren't interested in playing in Memphis? From what we can gather, it doesn't seem like Thabeet's camp is all that enamored with the direction Memphis is heading in, and there seems to be strong indications that he feels very good about his chances of being drafted by Oklahoma City, with one NBA source going as far as to say that the chances of him being picked there if available are "100%."

That would probably be news to Ricky Rubio, who Oklahoma City spent the last day and a half with in Los Angeles meeting with alongside his family. Sam Presti also took time out on Sunday evening to meet with James Harden, which is Oklahoma City's third meeting with him so far, including his workout at their facility and an interview at the NBA combine in Chicago.

While Harden may not have helped himself with his poor workout in Memphis, he may be the last man standing at this point-the only player in the elite tier of prospects that actually is interested in playing there. The fact that highly influential Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley flew into Memphis to watch Thabeet, only to have him cancel his workout at the last minute, could bode very well for Harden.

The wildcard in all this are the Minnesota Timberwolves, who could throw a wrench in things by trading up to #2 to take Ricky Rubio. Sources say that Rubio's camp has warmed up significantly to David Kahn and the Timberwolves organization as of late, and that they would not be opposed to him landing there. The catch is that the rookie scale salary slot of the #6 pick would not be sufficient in terms of satisfying Rubio's gigantic buyout from DKV Joventut, so Kahn would have to trade into the top three to make that happen.

At this point, Kahn is holding firm on not putting Kevin Love on the table for the right to move up in the draft, and is instead trying to acquire another pick to entice Memphis to swap with them. As other media outlets have reported, they are targeting Washington's #5 pick, but are only offering some combination of Randy Foye, Mike Miller and the #18 pick, which probably won't get it done.

The Wizards have been bombarded with trade offers as of late, some of them more realistic than others, but it's not a given that they will decide to trade the pick. If Rubio is on the board, all indications are that the Wizards would take him, and worst comes to worse, deal with the repercussions of him staying in Europe for another year or two until his buyout situation gets resolved. There aren't many teams that are higher on Rubio's upside than Washington.

As messy as the rest of the top five sounds, Sacramento's situation might be the most confusing. It's looking more and more clear that the Kings are not nearly as enamored with Ricky Rubio as they once were, for a number of reasons. The official party line is that Sacramento is concerned that Rubio will struggle to assert his leadership ability on the group of players they currently have in place, due to the fact that he's only 18 years old and not a native English speaker. One of the biggest issues Sacramento had last year was with the culture of their team lockerroom. On top of that, the Kings are worried that will Rubio will have a huge target on his chest coming into the NBA, and that other players will "try to go at him every single night."

Something important to keep in mind is that long-time Kings General Manager Geoff Petrie has just one year left on his contract, and that ownership is putting a great deal of pressure on him to ensure that they don't go through as painful a season as they just did in 08-09, winning just 17 games. With that in mind, they may opt to just put a Band-Aid on the problem and draft a more ready player, such as Tyreke Evans or Jonny Flynn-who is very attractive due to his outgoing personality and terrific leadership skills-- and hope that things magically get better next season.

This is a situation that seemed almost unfathomable a few months ago, as the Kings were supposedly so enamored with Rubio's talent that they were strongly considering drafting him with the #1 pick before falling to the #4 slot in the lottery. Considering what we know about all these prospects, it's tough not to think that Sacramento would be making a colossal mistake letting a playmaker of Rubio's caliber get by them, as his upside is substantially higher than that of Evans or Flynn.

Jonny Flynn happened to work out in Sacramento this weekend, alongside other Kings favorite Tyreke Evans, as well as Stephen Curry, Nick Calathes. It's well known at this point that Flynn is not getting past Milwaukee's pick at #10 at worst, but his chances of going 4th seem to be improving by the day. It's too early to rule out Evans at Sacramento's pick either, even though Rubio is still very much in the picture as well.

Rubio is reportedly returning to Sacramento tomorrow for a workout, which should ease one of the concerns the team has about being unable to watch him last week.

Scattered Rumors

-B.J. Mullens worked out for the Philadelphia 76ers (#17) on Sunday, and is scheduled to work out for Chicago (#16) on Tuesday. While many NBA teams we spoke with have picked up on the rumor that he may have a promise from Detroit at 15, things don't really seem to add up here. If anything, the Pistons seem to be most interested in Earl Clark, and have reportedly told him as much, as have the Phoenix Suns, drafting 14th. On the other hand, Detroit continues to be very active in trade-talk, though, and could very well decide to move the pick, which would make all of this moot. Would Mullens really turn down his Green Room invite if he definitely knew he was going 15th? Clark on the other hand just passed up a workout with Chicago this week in order to be with his newborn baby, as he seems to be feeling very good about where's currently at in this draft.

-Golden State appears to be exploring possibilities to improve on the defensive end in hopes of making a strong run to the playoffs next season. One trade that has reportedly been offered by the Charlotte Bobcats that may help on that front would involve packaging Kelenna Azubuike and Marco Belinelli in exchange for Raja Bell. The Warriors are pondering the offer, but would have to get Azubuike's consent to make the trade unless they decided to wait until July 24th.

In other Warriors news, it appears that despite not having worked him out, Stephen Curry is the team's main target should he be available with the 7th pick. Other options include Jordan Hill, Tyreke Evans and James Johnson.

-According to an NBA source, super active Minnesota Timberwolves GM David Kahn has offered Mike Miller to the Los Angeles Clippers in exchange for Chris Kaman. The Clippers shot down that trade, but countered with Marcus Camby.

-A few players that could shake things up on draft night…Taj Gibson to Utah at 20? Wayne Ellington to Philadelphia at 17? Tyler Hansbrough to New Jersey at 11? Ty Lawson to Indiana at 13?

DeJuan Blair's Outlook Improving?

A pair of MRIs making the rounds amongst NBA teams appear to be easing some concerns about DeJuan Blair's knees, according to his agent Happy Walters. Blair was red-flagged at the NBA pre-draft camp for the ACL tears he suffered in both knees while in college. He does not appears to have an ACL in either knee now, and there were concerns that he may struggle to stay healthy as his career moves on.

In response, Blair's camp retrieved an MRI from November of 2008 done at Pittsburgh for doctors to compare with the MRI of his knees from the pre-draft camp earlier this month. The specialists found that there had been "no deterioration in the situation of his knees whatsoever over the course of the season," which has been conveyed to the doctors of various NBA teams that are most interested in Blair at the moment.

Blair still appears to be strongly in consideration at Indiana (#13) and Chicago (#16), and will indeed visit the Bulls on Tuesday to work out against B.J. Mullens. He'll be in Utah (picking 20th) on Monday.

DeMarre Carroll's Health Situation Clarified

Dr. Jeffrey Crippin, one of the leading experts in the world on liver disorders, has given DeMarre Carroll a positive evaluation that has eased the concerns of several NBA teams, Carroll's agent Mark Bartelstein told DraftExpress.

Carroll was put through a liver biopsy procedure, which showed no signs of deterioration from when he first diagnosed with a disorder a year and a half ago. In a letter sent out to every NBA team outlining the test, results and prognosis, the chances given of something happening to Carroll's liver that would impact his pro career was estimated at "1-2% at most." In other words, there is "a negligible risk that his liver situation would have any effect on NBA career," and that if anything needed to be done, it would be "20-25 years from now."

Bartelstein indicated that the feedback he had received was that the teams that were apprehensive about the condition had their concerns put to rest.

The wildcard in all this are the Minnesota Timberwolves, who could throw a wrench in things by trading up to #2 to take Ricky Rubio. Sources say that Rubio's camp has warmed up significantly to David Kahn and the Timberwolves organization as of late, and that they would not be opposed to him landing there. The catch is that the rookie scale salary slot of the #6 pick would not be sufficient in terms of satisfying Rubio's gigantic buyout from DKV Joventut, so Kahn would have to trade into the top three to make that happen.

At this point, Kahn is holding firm on not putting Kevin Love on the table for the right to move up in the draft, and is instead trying to acquire another pick to entice Memphis to swap with them. As other media outlets have reported, they are targeting Washington's #5 pick, but are only offering some combination of Randy Foye, Mike Miller and the #18 pick, which probably won't get it done.

-According to an NBA source, super active Minnesota Timberwolves GM David Kahn has offered Mike Miller to the Los Angeles Clippers in exchange for Chris Kaman. The Clippers shot down that trade, but countered with Marcus Camby.

Kahn
9fe161108059eb46bb468c17a5afaadf98c8918e.gif

Rubio warming up to us and not opposed to coming here
smokin.gif

The Miller/Kaman/Camby stuff is intriguing as well.

[h1] [/h1]
Wallace, Tony Barone, head coach Lionel Hollins and assistant coach Johnny Davis flew to Los Angeles Saturday where they spent three hours meeting with Thabeet. They were back in Memphis before midnight.

"We showed him some tape, showed him some of the things we might do with him," said Wallace. "It was a good meeting, yes."

Wallace went out of his way to say the trip didn't mean the Grizzlies had settled on Thabeet as their guy.

Wallace and Hollins flew to Spain to meet with Ricky Rubio, after all. They've proven they can get on a plane.

But four days before the NBA Draft, all signs point to the 7-3 shot-blocking phenomenon from Connecticut.

"He's a player who can have a major impact on the game from a defensive standpoint," said Wallace. "And he can do that right away."

The Grizzlies believe Thabeet will instantly become the best defensive player in the history of the franchise. They aren't persuaded that Rubio will be a star in the league.

Could they be making a huge mistake?

Yes.

Especially if they're basing the pick on what Thabeet or Rubio will bring to the team next year. That's short-term thinking. Who cares about next year? Isn't the goal to build a compelling team over the long haul?

And if Oklahoma City -- which picks right after the Grizzlies -- somehow manages to take Rubio and swing a deal with the Clippers for Blake Griffin, the Grizzlies franchise might as well shut down on the spot.

But give Wallace and company this much: If they pick Thabeet, it won't be because they're afraid that Rubio will refuse to play in Memphis. It'll be because they think Thabeet can be a dominant player. Because they think his size and defensive instincts are worth the flak they know they'd take for the pick.

That's why they're not so crazy about swapping picks with Sacramento and dropping to the No. 4 spot in the draft. The Grizzlies believe Oklahoma City would take Thabeet at No. 3. With Rubio and Thabeet gone, that would leave the Grizzlies looking at Davidson's Stephen Curry, who has his supporters in the Grizzlies' front office but -- as another undersized guard -- would do nothing to shore up a truly dreadful defensive team.

Wallace will continue to listen to trade offers right up through the moment the Grizzlies make their selection, naturally. Minnesota is said to be offering power forward Kevin Love and more. But if the Grizzlies stay put at No. 2, look for them to take Thabeet.

Shoulders permitting, of course.

To reach Geoff Calkins, call 529-2364 or e-mail [email protected].

Could you imagine if OKC took Rubio and made a deal to get Griffin?
roll.gif
I would just be pissed off especially since they have the capspace to bring in Baron Davis if the Clippers offered him. Davis and Griffin for 3rdand Green?
eek.gif

Wallace, Tony Barone, head coach Lionel Hollins and assistant coach Johnny Davis flew to Los Angeles Saturday where they spent three hours meeting with Thabeet. They were back in Memphis before midnight.

"We showed him some tape, showed him some of the things we might do with him," said Wallace. "It was a good meeting, yes."

Wallace went out of his way to say the trip didn't mean the Grizzlies had settled on Thabeet as their guy.

Wallace and Hollins flew to Spain to meet with Ricky Rubio, after all. They've proven they can get on a plane.

But four days before the NBA Draft, all signs point to the 7-3 shot-blocking phenomenon from Connecticut.

"He's a player who can have a major impact on the game from a defensive standpoint," said Wallace. "And he can do that right away."

The Grizzlies believe Thabeet will instantly become the best defensive player in the history of the franchise. They aren't persuaded that Rubio will be a star in the league.

Could they be making a huge mistake?

Yes.

Especially if they're basing the pick on what Thabeet or Rubio will bring to the team next year. That's short-term thinking. Who cares about next year? Isn't the goal to build a compelling team over the long haul?

And if Oklahoma City -- which picks right after the Grizzlies -- somehow manages to take Rubio and swing a deal with the Clippers for Blake Griffin, the Grizzlies franchise might as well shut down on the spot.

But give Wallace and company this much: If they pick Thabeet, it won't be because they're afraid that Rubio will refuse to play in Memphis. It'll be because they think Thabeet can be a dominant player. Because they think his size and defensive instincts are worth the flak they know they'd take for the pick.

That's why they're not so crazy about swapping picks with Sacramento and dropping to the No. 4 spot in the draft. The Grizzlies believe Oklahoma City would take Thabeet at No. 3. With Rubio and Thabeet gone, that would leave the Grizzlies looking at Davidson's Stephen Curry, who has his supporters in the Grizzlies' front office but -- as another undersized guard -- would do nothing to shore up a truly dreadful defensive team.

Wallace will continue to listen to trade offers right up through the moment the Grizzlies make their selection, naturally. Minnesota is said to be offering power forward Kevin Love and more. But if the Grizzlies stay put at No. 2, look for them to take Thabeet.

Shoulders permitting, of course.

To reach Geoff Calkins, call 529-2364 or e-mail [email protected].
Could you imagine if OKC took Rubio and made a deal to get Griffin?
roll.gif
I would just be pissed off especially since they have the capspace to bring in Baron Davis if the Clippers offered him. Davis and Griffin for 3rd and Green?
eek.gif

sick.gif
@ the article and at OKC if that happens (even though Baron quit the lastfour months of last season
laugh.gif
).

Back
Top Bottom