Official 2009 NCAA Tournament Thread. The Very Best Have Gathered Upon One Stage.

Originally Posted by Elpablo21

I dont see any Big Ten teams making a deep run

look - i'm not saying the big 10 is all that this year... but people have this misconception every single year because they don't understand the styleof play that takes place in the big 10, and how that translates to other leagues.

The big 10 has been as consistent (or more so) than any other conference in tournament play the last 10 years, and yet every year we hear about how terriblethey are and how they won't be making deep runs.

Originally Posted by shabooyah1124

Originally Posted by tmay407

I just said F the bracket this year and went for some things that I don't think anybody else is going to do...

I have Illinois meeting UNC in the Sweet 16 (yes, I have Illinois beating Gonzaga...).
Have you seen Illinois play this year?
Yea, I have. Multiple times, too. And I've also seen Gonzaga play a few times as well...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney09/news/story?id=3993807

[h2]Williams: Lawson likely out Thursday[/h2]
GREENSBORO, N.C. -- North Carolina coach Roy Williams said Wednesday there is a "huge,huge probability Ty Lawson will not play" in Thursday's NCAA tournamentopening round game against Radford because of the injury to Lawson's right big toe.

"Some things would have to change drastically before I'd change my mind on that," said Williams, whose No. 1-seeded Tar Heels face Radford at2:50 p.m. ET Thursday in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Williams said his point guard, the ACC's Player of the Year, has been limited in the past two practices and wasn't able to do any live drillsagainst any of his teammates. Lawson was injured in practice on March 6.

"He's not the Ty that we've all seen," guard Bobby Frasor said,"and that's just being honest."

Lawson was trapped in the corner of North Carolina's locker room by television cameras and reporters on Wednesday, as his toe is the biggest news inGreensboro right now. His right foot was in a soft, black brace, and he said he's got everything to help it heal, including tape, a gel pad, orthotics, anda steel plate in his shoes.

"My shoes are filled with everything," he said. "It's just pain when I'm cutting back and forth. When I'm running straight,it's not as bad. I can deal with it. But cutting back and forth, that's when the most pain comes.

"Last week, when we were in the ACC tournament, I was just thinking, when is this going to get better? It's been like two weeks, and it's stillkind of tough to run on. It's just draining to keep feeling like I'm doing all this stuff, getting up early in the morning for pool workouts and allthis, and it's still not getting better."

Lawson was averaging 29.4 minutes and 15.9 points per game for the Tar Heels. Lawson's injury affects the whole team, but Frasor's role inparticular. Frasor plays more minutes at shooting guard when Lawson is in the game and runs the offense when Lawson is on the bench. UNC reached the ACCtournament semifinals last weekend with Lawson on the bench.

"I'm ready for it," Frasor said. "It was nice to play some in the ACC tournament like that. I'm going through practice and doing morereps at the one, so I'll be ready either way."

Lawson said he thinks he might be able to play Saturday because the last three days of rest have been a "big turnaround." The latest he said hemight return is next Saturday.

"I'm pretty sure I'm going to play this week," Lawson said. "Hopefully, I want to."

Not surprised. I was hoping he wouldn't play...

I'm pretty good with my picks minus 3 facts....

I wanted to go with USC over Mich St. but its the Izzo factor

UCLA v Nova in Philly... Its Nova in Philly... but then again its NOVA

Just how bad is Levance's Groin and Back

these three issues are seriously bothering me as of right now.

Yeah, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for Gonzaga to lose early...

Some nights they're great... Others they just flat out aren't any good...

Am I the only person not buying in the USC hype? Maybe because I bought into it last year and they got bounced with a quickness. I got the giant killer Riceand comapny over the Trojans.

i hope big art goes for 30 and 15, impress the scouts then bolt for the NBA
laugh.gif

you guys seen that ridiculous dwayne wade and samuel l. jackson thing on sporscenter?

totally random tourney piece.
laugh.gif

I really am getting second thoughts on Pitt. I wanna take them out of the chip but I can't see Gonzaga in the title game.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I really am getting second thoughts on Pitt. I wanna take them out of the chip but I can't see Gonzaga in the title game.

I like Pitt, but I know they're probably going to get in foul trouble and I question their ability to knock down perimeter shots if a team plays a zonedefense against them.

Gonzaga is a top team this year, regardless of the WCC. Memphis was the only one to thoroughly beat them and I'd consider that a blip.

They're VERY good defensively this year.

And I know it means almost nothing at this point..

but the core players from 06-07 on UNC and Gonzaga are still around...and Gonzaga smacked them around MSG...

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Gonzaga is a top team this year, regardless of the WCC. Memphis was the only one to thoroughly beat them and I'd consider that a blip.

They're VERY good defensively this year.

And I know it means almost nothing at this point..

but the core players from 06-07 on UNC and Gonzaga are still around...and Gonzaga smacked them around MSG...
god i wish you hadn't of said this.. i'm sitting here teetering on the edge of moving the Zags into my final four, knowing how they couldeasily drop out first round as easily as win the title.
laugh.gif

It's like - i KNOW chalk is not going to hold, so i'm just reaching right now for angles to play.. my bracket will suck either way this year, i mightas well have some fun with it.

Yeah...I know they could bounce early.

But I just needed to liven up my picks a little, lol. And I think they're a good shot to take with

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Yeah...I know they could bounce early.

But I just needed to liven up my picks a little, lol. And I think they're a good shot to take with
looking efficiency numbers for the year... they are the only team i can find who is top ten in both offense and defense. That's a good sign.

There's only about 4 teams the last 3 years who have achieved that type of status, and all were 1 or 2 seeds who went deep or won the whole thing. Maybenot a huge sample size of data, but still a good sign.

yeah..craftsy, exactly. A look at Kenpom today convinced me of em.

Retro, I can't find any maps. Usually there are some out there.

My dad has Gonzaga losing in the championship and I think I might have to make that move. Man Pitt really has be scratching my head here. Actually that wholebracket has me scratching my head.

Back
Top Bottom