OFFICIAL 2009 NFL DRAFT (APRIL 25-26) VOL. NFL SALVATION

Those Damn Patriots
smh.gif

All bias aside, I think the Eagles had one of the best, if not the best, drafts.

[table][tr][td]1[/td] [td]19(19)[/td] [td]Jeremy Maclin[/td] [td]WR[/td] [td]Missouri[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]from Tampa Bay through Cleveland[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Maclin is a big-play threat both as a wideout and a return man. He reaches his exceptional top-end speed quickly and is an instinctive open-field runner who reads defenses as well as his blocks well. Maclin has to improve his route running and ability to get off the line working against press coverage, but his quick feet suggest he's capable of improving in both areas. Video | Complete analysis
in.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2[/td] [td]21(53)[/td] [td]LeSean McCoy[/td] [td]RB[/td] [td]Pittsburgh[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]McCoy has a natural skill to make people miss in the open field that cannot be taught. Although he has some tweaking to do as far as vision and staying north and south, he brings outstanding versatility in the pass game and can be very effective touching the ball 10 to 15 times a game. Complete analysis
in.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [td]17(153)[/td] [td]Cornelius Ingram[/td] [td]TE[/td] [td]Florida[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]from New York Jets[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Ingram brings excellent athleticism and fluidity. He's a smooth route-runner who can be a mismatch when lined up against most Sam linebackers. He needs major improvement as a run-blocker.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [td]21(157)[/td] [td]Victor Harris[/td] [td]CB[/td] [td]Virginia Tech[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Harris does an excellent job of reading the quarterback's eyes, which allows him to get a quick break on the ball. He's also one of the elite defensive backs in terms of ball skills in this year's class. However, lack of fluidity and inconsistent footwork may cause him to move to safety at the NFL level.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [td]23(159)[/td] [td]Fenuki Tupou[/td] [td]OT[/td] [td]Oregon[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]from New England[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Tupou has excellent size and brute strength. He also brings an aggressive attitude with his play. However, he is a bit raw in terms of football intelligence and is going to need high reps to fully grasp NFL blocking schemes.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6[/td] [td]21(194)[/td] [td]Brandon Gibson[/td] [td]WR[/td] [td]Washington State[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Gibson is more a straight-line WR with deceiving top-end speed to stretch the field. He also possesses above-average ball skills. However, we have concerns about his ability to get in and out of his breaks smoothly and create adequate separation.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [td]4(213)[/td] [td]Paul Fanaika[/td] [td]OG[/td] [td]Arizona State[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]from Seattle[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Fanaika lacks overall agility. He possesses good upper-body strength with the ability to deliver a violent initial punch.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [td]21(230)[/td] [td]Moise Fokou[/td] [td]OLB[/td] [td]Maryland[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Fokou possesses excellent range and is a strong open-field tackler. However, he's more of a straight-line guy who has some tightness in his hips.[/td] [/tr][/table]
Factor in the trades for Peters and Hobbs, plus the three 2010 picks we received, including a third rounder. I've never felt this good about a draftbefore.

In that Texas Tech offense, what's the difference between Crabtree and Joel Filani from a few years back?

I think I +@+! on damn near every WR that got drafted early this year...

DHB, Crab, Maclin, Massaquoi, Robiskie...
laugh.gif

I like Britt, Nicks, and Percy (sort of), tho...

I like what the Bills did a lot.

Pass rusher, offensive lineman, play-making tight end, corner depth.

Nic Harris to address OLB, though.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

The Bills are so #%$@@#$ stupid.
smh.gif

what u wanted them to do? who dont u like that they got?
With Jason Peters gone it would seem to me we need a tackle also I just think Aaron Maybin is a giant bust, would have rather had Ayers, Loadhooltat 51.

I just feel like in a couple months im going to be watching Trent Edwards running for his damn life with TO screaming at him to pass him the ball, and $%%%Jauron's crypt keeper face giving me that same blank stare.
tired.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

The Bills are so #%$@@#$ stupid.
smh.gif

what u wanted them to do? who dont u like that they got?
With Jason Peters gone it would seem to me we need a tackle also I just think Aaron Maybin is a giant bust, would have rather had Ayers, Loadhoolt at 51.

Loadholt would have been nice but he's best suited for RT

I liked Seattle getting Curry and a #1 next year.

F the Patriots. Damn it, why do people keep giving away their picks to them? 2 second rounders in 10 already?
grin.gif
God damn it they're smart.
laugh.gif

I did NOT like what the Broncos did, AT ALL. A RB with the #12? Don't they have like 8 already? Trading away a #1 next year?
The whole basis of that Cutler deal should have been to use the multiple first rounders to rebuild the rest of the team at worst, minus the QB position. Moreno better be TD 2.0 or they're even more screwed.
smh.gif

Philly did have a great draft. 2 playmakers + depth and Ingram could work out nicely for them as well.

The Jets sure like putting their eggs all in one basket. I hope they fail miserably.

I took Delmas with the 33 in our first mock, and I took Stafford at 1 and Pettigrew at 20 in the second mock.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Someone in their front office be copying me.
laugh.gif

I was stunned to see Bill draft athletes rather then lineman types.
eek.gif
Davis and Smith, I hope one of them works out at least. And White and the USC kid better learn how to be solid WR's quick, cuz we have real needs there. Hope they pan out, but I dunno about this draft. Seemed like each pick had a question mark next to it.

Can anyone with ESPN Insider post the rest of the Kiper draft grades?

It took two days, but the NFL draft is over and now is the fun part, as every team's fans get to see their new players try on the jersey and hopefully report to camp on time. Let's take a look at my grades for each team's draft.
gnb.gif
Green Bay Packers: GRADE: A
I love what this team did to solidify its shaky defense in the first two picks alone, with the selection of two excellent players in defensive tackle B.J. Raji and outside linebacker Clay Matthews. Tackle T.J. Lang was a good pickup for the offensive line, while Quinn Johnson could be a bruising lead fullback in the league. Sixth-round pick Brandon Underwood could make this team and give the Packers depth as a backup.
nyj.gif
New York Jets: GRADE: A-
The motto of the Jets' draft was quality over quantity. Mark Sanchez's selection made this team's draft because he's a franchise-maker. New coach Rex Ryan likes his defense, so the organization felt it could focus on the offense in his first draft. The Jets picked up Iowa running back Shonn Greene, who will fit into the rotation with Leon Washington and Thomas Jones. Guard Matthew Slauson was an OK pick in the sixth round, but the key to this draft is up top with Greene and Sanchez.
ari.gif
Arizona Cardinals: GRADE: B+
Chris Wells was a major acquisition for the Cardinals in the first round of this draft. He was a bargain for a team that was in dire need of a running back to rotate in with second-year back Tim Hightower. Wells gives this team the home run threat that the running game was sorely lacking last season. In addition to Wells, I liked the Cody Brown pick in the second round because he should be a good 3-4 rushing end in the Cardinals' system. Bringing in LSU offensive lineman Herman Johnson in the fifth round and Illinois defensive end Will Davis in the sixth were good pickups for this organization. While I thought Johnson was a bit overrated, he is huge and will give the line a big presence when he's on the field.
buf.gif
Buffalo Bills: GRADE: B+
Aaron Maybin was the pass-rusher this team needed to anchor the defensive line. On the other side of the line, the selections of center Eric Wood and guard Andrew Levitre in the second round were excellent picks. Wood is a very good center and Levitre very well may be the best guard in this draft. Also, Jairus Byrd's ball skills could help him become a very good nickelback in this league. They got the tight end they needed in Shawn Nelson to give this offense another weapon. The reason this team didn't receive an A is because it didn't get a right or a left tackle, which I thought was a need with the trade of offensive tackle Jason Peters.
hou.gif
Houston Texans: GRADE: B+
This was a very productive draft, as the Texans' first five picks (Brian Cushing, Connor Barwin, Antoine Caldwell, Glover Quin and Anthony Hill) will all contribute quickly. These are solid football players and I really like the Barwin pick. Look for sixth-rounder Brice McCain and seventh-round selection Troy Nolan to also compete for playing time.
To see the remainder of Mel's grades, including what grade your favorite teams earned, become an ESPN Insider today.
in.gif

As much as I loved the pick and id like to
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
having Kiper give us the highest draft grade i still think 41, 73, 83 were toomuch to give up for 26 and 153.

I mean it could very well turn out that it was a super smart move by TT but itll be a while before we find out. I love Matthews though so well see how it pansout.

Id personally give our draft a B+ but like its been said you really cant grade a draft until a few years down the road.

Packers, Jets get top grades

By Mel Kiper
ESPN.com

It took two days, but the NFL draft is over and now is the fun part, as every team's fans get to see their new players try on the jersey andhopefully report to camp on time. Let's take a look at my grades for each team's draft.
gnb.gif
Green Bay Packers: GRADE: A
I love what this team did to solidify its shaky defense in the first two picks alone, with the selection of two excellent players in defensive tackle B.J. Raji and outside linebacker Clay Matthews. Tackle T.J. Lang was a good pickup for the offensive line, while Quinn Johnson could be a bruising lead fullback in the league.Sixth-round pick Brandon Underwood could make this team andgive the Packers depth as a backup.
nyj.gif
New York Jets: GRADE: A-
The motto of the Jets' draft was quality over quantity. MarkSanchez's selection made this team's draft because he's a franchise-maker. New coach Rex Ryan likes his defense, so the organization felt itcould focus on the offense in his first draft. The Jets picked up Iowa running back Shonn Greene, who will fit into the rotation with Leon Washingtonand Thomas Jones. Guard Matthew Slauson was an OK pick inthe sixth round, but the key to this draft is up top with Greene and Sanchez.
ari.gif
Arizona Cardinals: GRADE: B+
Chris Wells was a major acquisition for the Cardinals in thefirst round of this draft. He was a bargain for a team that was in dire need of a running back to rotate in with second-year back Tim Hightower. Wells givesthis team the home run threat that the running game was sorely lacking last season. In addition to Wells, I liked the Cody Brown pick in the second round because he should be a good 3-4rushing end in the Cardinals' system. Bringing in LSU offensive lineman Herman Johnson in the fifth round and Illinois defensive endWill Davis in the sixth were good pickups for thisorganization. While I thought Johnson was a bit overrated, he is huge and will give the line a big presence when he's on the field.
buf.gif
Buffalo Bills: GRADE: B+
Aaron Maybin was the pass-rusher this team needed to anchorthe defensive line. On the other side of the line, the selections of center Eric Wood and guard Andrew Levitre in the second round were excellent picks. Wood is avery good center and Levitre very well may be the best guard in this draft. Also, Jairus Byrd's ball skills could help him become a very goodnickelback in this league. They got the tight end they needed in Shawn Nelson to give this offense another weapon. The reason thisteam didn't receive an A is because it didn't get a right or a left tackle, which I thought was a need with the trade of offensive tackle Jason Peters.
hou.gif
Houston Texans: GRADE: B+
This was a very productive draft, as the Texans' first five picks (Brian Cushing, Connor Barwin, Antoine Caldwell, Glover Quin and Anthony Hill) will all contribute quickly. These are solid footballplayers and I really like the Barwin pick. Look for sixth-rounder Brice McCain and seventh-round selection Troy Nolan to also compete for playing time.
To see theremainder of Mel's grades, including what grade your favorite teams earned, become an ESPN Insider today.
in.gif
nwe.gif
New England Patriots: GRADE: B+
You have to give the Patriots credit for acquiring even more picks for next year's draft. Safety Patrick Chung, defensive tackle Ron Brace and cornerback Darius Butler were all good selections in the second round, althoughoffensive tackle Sebastian Vollmer was a reach. Widereceiver Brandon Tate was a decent third-round pick and Ireally like the sixth-round selection of Jacob Ingram, thebest long snapper in the draft.
sfo.gif
San Francisco 49ers: GRADE: B+
Obviously the 49ers hit the jackpot with wide receiver MichaelCrabtree falling to them at No. 10. Running back GlenCoffee gives the 49ers a nice one-two punch with Frank Gore. Getting inside linebacker Scott McKillop in the fifth round was a steal. Bear Pascoe is one of the best blocking tight ends in the draft, andthe two LSU kids (Curtis Taylor and Ricky Jean-Francois) were great pickups in the seventh round.

atl.gif
Atlanta Falcons: GRADE: B
The Falcons did a good job early with the Peria Jerry pickin the first round and the selection of safety William Moorein the second. I really like the Moore pick because if he is able to get healthy, he could be one of the top steals of this draft. He has a tremendous amountof talent and could be a superstar for this franchise. Overall, the Falcons did a nice job for the second year in a row.
bal.gif
Baltimore Ravens: GRADE: B
First-round selection Michael Oher gives this team greatflexibility on the offensive line because he can play right or left tackle for the Ravens. Second-round pick Paul Kruger has the ability to play immediately in this league andmay push for ample playing time. Also, Lardarius Webb is alittle light at around 180 pounds, but with the help of an experienced safety to support him, he can definitely play cornerback in this league. I love thefifth-round selection of inside linebacker Jason Phillips.He's going to fit in very well with this talented group of linebackers.
chi.gif
Chicago Bears: GRADE: B
I think Jarron Gilbert is one of the steals of the draft.Wide receiver Juaquin Iglesias was a good pick, as werecornerback D.J. Moore and wide receiver Johnny Knox.Seventh-round pick Derek Kinder could turn out to be quite asleeper if he's able to return to his strong level of play before his injury a couple of years ago.

cin.gif
Cincinnati Bengals: GRADE: B
The Bengals had a lot of picks and they did a good job getting good quality with their quantity. Andre Smith, Rey Maualuga and Michael Johnson are great ways to start a draft for any team. Theseguys could fill big holes for the Bengals. The fourth-round selection of offensive lineman Jonathan Luigs was a little high, but it wasn't crazy. Thelate-round picks weren't anything to write home about, but they did a good job of getting strength in numbers and getting some depth for their team.

nyg.gif
New York Giants: GRADE: B
The selection of first-round wide receiver Hakeem Nickscould be a good one, but he really needs to keep his weight up to make an impact in the NFL. I like the selection of offensive tackle William Beatty in the second round and wide receiver Ramses Barden in the third round. They made some good selectionslate in the draft with running back Andre Brown in thefourth and the two defensive backs in the sixth and seventh rounds: DeAndre Wright and Stoney Woodson.

pit.gif
Pittsburgh Steelers: GRADE: B
First-round selection Evander Hood was a good pick becausehe should fit in well as a defensive tackle in the Steelers' system. I love third-round wide receiver Mike Wallace's speed. Cornerback Joe Burnett and running back Frank Summers were good selections in the fifth round. Defensivetackle Ra'Shon Harris could be a steal out of the sixth round.

sea.gif
Seattle Seahawks: GRADE: B
The Seahawks passed on Sanchez to get Aaron Curry, and whileI don't agree with the pick, it's not a bad pick for the Hawks, especially since Curry was the No. 1 player on my board. Max Unger is an excellent fit for this offensive line and widereceiver Deon Butler reminds me of Bobby Engram. I don'tunderstand the Mike Teel pick in the sixth round becausethere were better quarterbacks out there, but the selection of safety Courtney Greene in the seventh round was a greatselection.
tam.gif
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: GRADE: B
The Bucs could've stayed where they were and still gotten Josh Freeman, so I don't understand the decision to trade up forhim. He has a lot of upside, but he's a risk/reward type of player because he isn't as polished as some of the other top quarterbacks in this draft.The Bucs made some very solid picks throughout the draft, including defensive end Kyle Moore in the fourth round and wide receiver Sammie Stroughter in the final round.
cle.gif
Cleveland Browns: GRADE: B-
Alex Mack was a good pick at No. 21 and Mohamed Massaquoi was a very good pickup in the second round. Ithink fellow second-rounder David Veikune was a bit of areach in that round, but not enough of one to seriously dent the Browns' grade. They didn't get a great receiver in Brian Robiskie in the second round, but he's polished enough asa rookie that he could be a solid possession guy for this franchise.

det.gif
Detroit Lions: GRADE: B-
Matthew Stafford was what this team needed, but fellowfirst-rounder Brandon Pettigrew was a reach at No. 21.Third-round pick DeAndre Levy was a little bit of a reach, but a good pick. Selecting Derrick Williams in the third round was a good move. The bestlate-round pick for this team was seventh-rounder ZachFollett out of California. The Lions should've gotten a left tackle at some point since that is an obvious need right now, particularly with theircurrent quarterback situation.

phi.gif
Philadelphia Eagles: GRADE: B-
Wide receiver Jeremy Maclin was a good pick, but he needs towork on his route running to be a consistent threat in the NFL. Running back LeSean McCoy was a good selection in the second round and so was tight endCornelius Ingram in the fifth round. The fifth round was agood round for the Eagles, who also picked up cornerback VictorHarris and offensive tackle Fenuki Tupou.

ind.gif
Indianapolis Colts: GRADE: C+
Donald Brown is a good player but kind of a luxury pick,which isn't a knock on it because running back Joseph Addai has had some injury issues as of late. Fili Moala and Jerraud Powers were taken a little high, though. Terrance Taylor is a good pick in the fourth round because he couldjump into the Colts' rotation.

jac.gif
Jacksonville Jaguars: GRADE: C+
I understand the Jaguars felt that offensive line was a need, but I felt picking Eben Britton that early in the second round was a reach, but notnearly as big of a reach as cornerback Derek Cox in thethird round. The selections of Mike Thomas and JarrettDillard in the fourth and fifth rounds were good ones and I really like the seventh-round selections of Rashad Jennings and Tiquan Underwood. Honestly, the late-round selections are what savedthe Jaguars' grade.

min.gif
Minnesota Vikings: GRADE: C+
If they can keep wide receiver Percy Harvin focused andmaximize his potential, then taking him at No. 22 could end up being a good selection. The only problem is the fact that he has some character question markssurrounding him, but there's no questioning his talent. Third-round selection Asher Allen is a good pick, inside linebacker Jasper Brinkley could be a good fit and seventh-rounder Jamarca Sanford is a good player.

ten.gif
Tennessee Titans: GRADE: C+
Wide receiver Kenny Britt was a good selection in the firstround. Defensive tackle Sen'Derrick Marks was a bit overhyped, but he wasn't a bad reach at No. 62. I love the selection of tight end Jared Cook. Troy Kropog was a little bit of a reach in the fourth round, but hewas a good player at Tulane.

was.gif
Washington ********: GRADE: C+
Brian Orakpo fell into their laps and he gives them thepass-rushing presence they haven't had since Dexter Manley. Kevin Barnes is a decent third-round pick. Robert Henson is a decent late-round pick at linebacker.

car.gif
Carolina Panthers: GRADE: C
They gave up next year's first-round pick to get Florida State defensive end Everette Brown, which I really don't like. Brown is a fineplayer and could make an impact for this team, but I believe that a first-round pick is too steep a price to pay. None of the players they selected in thisdraft have great potential. Sherrod Martin and Corvey Irvinhave the ability to be starters in this league and running back Mike Goodson could be a situational back, but none of thePanthers' picks really stand out.

den.gif
Denver Broncos: GRADE: C
Knowshon Moreno is a good running back and Robert Ayers has excellent ability. Alphonso Smith was one of my favorite defensive players to watch incollege, but I don't agree with trading a future No. 1 pick for the rights to pick him. Richard Quinn was selected a little too high for a one-dimensionalblocking tight end. David Bruton is an OK player and so isSeth Olsen.

nor.gif
New Orleans Saints: GRADE: C
First-round selection Malcolm Jenkins is a good player.Fourth-round safety Chip Vaughn is a solid player and hadsome great workouts. He looks great on paper, as does fellow fourth-rounder Stanley Arnoux, the inside linebacker from Wake Forest. The onlyplayer out of the four the Saints selected who will be a difference-maker is Jenkins.

stl.gif
St. Louis Rams: GRADE: C
If I were the Rams, I would have taken Mark Sanchez at theNo. 2 spot, but I do like offensive tackle Jason Smith.Inside linebacker James Laurinaitis was a good selection inthe second round. Cornerback Bradley Fletcher would'vegone higher if he had better speed. There were better quarterbacks available in the sixth round, when they took Keith Null.

sdg.gif
San Diego Chargers: GRADE: C+
The selection of linebacker Larry English at No. 16 was alittle high, but he fills a potential need for them and he's a good player. Guards Louis Vasquez and Tyronne Green were good selections in the third and fourth rounds.Defensive tackle Vaughn Martin was a bit of a reach in thefourth round because he played in Canada against a lower level of competition. The late-round picks of running back Gartrell Johnson, cornerback Brandon Hughes, safety Kevin Ellison and wide receiver Demetrius Byrd were all good picks.

kan.gif
Kansas City Chiefs: GRADE: C-
Linebacker Tyson Jackson is a very good football player, buthe was a reach at the No. 3 spot. This team focused on shoring up the defense early, and selecting defensive tackle Alex Magee in the third round will help. I do like the selection ofoffensive tackle Colin Brown in the fifth round, but therest of the late-round picks didn't really do anything for me. I saw a couple of reaches in those late rounds that definitely didn't help thegrade.

mia.gif
Miami Dolphins: GRADE: C-
Cornerback Vontae Davis is a risk/reward type of player.Pat White has to play receiver to have value where theypicked him (No. 44 overall). Defensive back Sean Smith was agood second selection, but third-rounder Patrick Turner wasa major reach. With the exception of safety Chris Clemons inthe fifth round, the rest of the late-round picks weren't very impressive.

dal.gif
Dallas Cowboys: GRADE: D
The Big D gets a D this year. They didn't get a lot of top-end talent due in part to their not having a pick until the third round, but they then went outand reached on Jason Williams and Robert Brewster. Victor Butler is a decent pick, as is Brandon Williams, but I'm not enamored with any of their laterpicks. They got players that could help them in terms of depth, but no one who is going to really strengthen this football team.

oak.gif
Oakland Raiders: GRADE D
Oakland's draft was a head-scratcher. The Raiders took wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey at No. 7 even though Michael Crabtree andJeremy Maclin were still on the board, but the biggest reachof their draft and of the entire draft was the second-round selection of safety Michael Mitchell. This kid was thought to be a seventh-round pick at best andpossibly an undrafted free agent, and the Raiders pulled the ultimate reach by taking him in the second round.
I just want to say that my issues with thosetwo picks have nothing to do with those players. Congrats to them for getting picked and obviously having the talent to make it to the NFL. My issue is thatthese weren't good value picks for the organization. The Raiders could have gotten more value from the No. 7 pick and definitely more value from the No. 47pick, and that's why I believe they made a mistake. The only reason Oakland didn't receive an F is because they did get some players.

The Jets don't deserve an A-. Look at what they gave up to get what they got.

The Eagles get a B- because Maclin needs improvements on his route running? Ok Mel.

Originally Posted by USA Pride4Life

tmay, or anyone else for that matter, is DE M. Bennett the goods?
Not really...

I don't think he really has a clear cut position in the NFL. He's a pass rusher, but he isn't quick enough to play DE in the NFL, and he isn'tfast enough to make the move to a 3-4 LB. He also isn't a good enough run stopper to play as a 3-4 DE.

He was a solid 4-3 DE in college, but I don't think his skills translate to the NFL well at all.

With talk about Crabtree....one of next years top picks, Bradford.

Always workin outa shot gun, great O line, guys making plays after the catch...Am I the only one not buying him at all?

Back
Top Bottom