Took this from a fellow fin fan
pimp.gif

broncos
McDaniels gets tough on tackling
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/02/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 08/02/2009 01:13:08 AM MDT

Here's hoping Peyton Hillis isn't so polite should he run over a hulking outside linebacker come September.

As the Broncos got physical Saturday afternoon on the second day of training camp, it was Hillis, a 240-pound fullback-tailback hybrid who delivered thebiggest blow.

In a one-on-one tackling drill, Hillis bulldozed outside linebacker Tim Crowder, leaving Crowder - who has 3 inches and 20 pounds on Hillis - lying in thegrass for a minute trying to catch his breath.

"It hurts me to see a guy laying there. It just breaks my heart, because you never know what's going to happen," Hillis said. "You don'tknow what kind of injury he has. I'm glad he got up and was playing the rest of the time."

Meanwhile, a more spirited and evenly matched battle was taking place on the other side of the practice field between wide receiver Brandon Marshall and safetyJosh Barrett, who first fired up an on-field rivalry Friday.

On the first of three matchups, Barrett easily wrapped up Marshall and pulled the receiver to the ground. On the third, Marshall got around the edge and allBarrett could grab was a bit of jersey.

Who won the second? Depends on who you ask.

"Josh and I kind of have a thing going," Marshall said. "He got me the first time, but I think I got the next two."

Several practice observers saw Barrett make the tackle, but Barrett wasn't boasting.

"I'm not here to judge. I'll give it to him, though, if he says he won," Barrett said. "He's a beast. You have to have a differentmind-set because he's big, he's physical and he's going to try to run you over. You know that going into it, but then again, you can't backdown. You've got to hold your ground."

The Broncos rarely - if ever - participated in full tackling drills when Mike Shanahan was their head coach. But new coach Josh McDaniels said he likes to usethe drills from time to time so the players are frequently working on the fundamentals of tackling.
Post Poll - Boo-Boo Taboo

What do you think about Broncos coach Josh McDaniels' decision to not discuss players' injuries?
Smart choice. Playing it close to the vest like coaches do in the NHL will help protect the players on the field.
Why all the secrecy? Maybe this is part of the new Spygate world following McDaniels from his Patriots days. It's a conspiracy, I tell you.
Bad call. If I have any Broncos on my fantasy team, roster planning will be a real pain. Thanks, Coach.

"You certainly don't want to go into your first game not having tackled someone or having been tackled," McDaniels said. "It's good forthem to feel the contact and to also start working on their techniques and fundamentals.

"Tackling sounds like a simple thing, but it's really not when you have big men running full speed. You've got to wrap your arms and do a lot oflittle things to get him down."

Hillis said the live tackling drills are also a way for players to prove themselves to the coaches.

"I think it's about improving yourself and showing coaches how tough and physical you can be. I hope I can show that and they can see that out ofme," Hillis said. "When it comes down to it, you're a certain type of person and that type of person for me is to be physical."

McDaniels has 3 years tops in Denver. He has no clue, and soon the players are gonna realize that and all respect will be lost.

Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy

CP1708 wrote:
Is that White? Did we get his deal done?????
nerd.gif

Yes - that's Pat White. Pay attention to your team, spanky.

Sorry cp, you my boy but molester chester is right......ketchup ninja

Sweet!
pimp.gif

I checked this morning and didn't see anything, but looks like he signed yesterday. Guess I shoulda looked closer. lol

Sue me @#$%^
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Put em up

McDaniels has 3 years tops in Denver. He has no clue, and soon the players are gonna realize that and all respect will be lost.
Most of Mcd moves are questionable, but hopefully this team puts it together.
ohwell.gif

Jeremy Maclin gets inked...burrrrrrrr!!!!
pimp.gif

from http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/bloghead/
[h6]Maclin In With 5-Year Deal[/h6]Wide Receiver Jeremy Maclin, the 19th-pick of the 2009 NFL draft, agreed to terms on a five-yearcontract with a reported value of $15.5 million, $9.5 million of it guaranteed. More details to follow.

"All we ask for him to do is catch the ball and get upfield and score," said Donovan McNabb earlier today. "He'll be here, we'll be ableto get some work, and we'll see what we can get out of him this year."

-- Posted by Bob Kent, 11:05 a.m., August 3

...and the Stewart Bradley's torn ACL is a huge blow to the Eagles D. He's supposed to fill in the shoes of B Dawk to become the leader of thedefense.
tired.gif

Joe Mays or Omar Gaither need to step it up big this season.

Quan article
[h2]
yahoo-print-logo.png
[/h2]

1248305376.jpg
[h1]Boldin changes approach about contract, team[/h1]
By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports 15 hours, 33 minutes ago
y_sports-hi.png

[h2]Printable View[/h2]Return to Original

More From Jason Cole

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. - Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Anquan Boldin(notes) should have writer's cramp by now to go along with a weary body from two hours of practice.

For more than an hour after practice, Boldin has signed autographs for fans at training camp. Even with the sun fading below the pine trees that line the practice field at Northern Arizona University, Boldin won't stop until the last fan goes away happy. He signs everything from shirts to hat to cards to even a rubber duck that a young boy brought up toward the end. He also poses for more pictures than a fashion model.

1249340701.jpg
Boldin signs autographs following a practice session last week.
(Christian Petersen/Getty)

If this is the same guy that has said on many occasions that he wanted out of Arizona because of disputes over his contract, you'd have a hard time knowing it based on this display. Moreover, if the Cardinals are to go from the notion that they were a flash-in-the-pan last year to a consistent contender, what Boldin is doing after practice is just as important as what he does during the week and in games.

"Do you know what it's been like to get to this point where we can hold our chest out a little more and be proud to say, 'I'm an Arizona Cardinal,' " said defensive lineman Bertrand Berry(notes), who is entering his 12th season and sixth with Arizona. "For Anquan to be out there with the fans, showing how proud he is, that's all part of it."

Boldin downplayed the moment, saying merely that, "This is what it's all about, being there for the fans." But there's more to it. The fact that Boldin came to camp and put his unhappiness about his contract aside is a crucial message for an organization that has long had players complain about money and the treatment they have received from ownership.

"You're either way too happy about what you're doing or upset," said Boldin, who also changed agents this offseason after his strategy of complaining failed to get any results. "To me, it's better to be happy about it. In a couple of years, when my contract comes up, we'll see. If they want me back and we can work something out, great. If not, I'll move on. That's the way it goes."

Boldin has definitely illustrated that he isn't focused on simply receiving things. Coming out of poverty-stricken Pahokee, Fla., Boldin has consistently tried to give back to his community. He recently donated a six-acre parcel of land for a Boys & Girls Club that he's trying to have constructed. He holds an annual charity event in the town featuring a basketball game with numerous pro athletes.

He has been so giving that Pahokee High voted in June to name the new football stadium after him. Boldin was a runaway winner of the honor, receiving nine of 15 votes and beating out former school administrators and even former head coach Don Thompson Sr., the first man to lead the Blue Devils to a state championship in football.

"We all kind of knew it was going to go that way," Pahokee principal Ariel Alejo said. "Anquan has done so much for this area."

Boldin called it "surprising and humbling" given all the great players who have come from one of Florida's top hotbeds for football.

Still, for all his graciousness, taking such a positive approach now isn't always easy for a guy who has been part of the team's turnaround since being a second-round pick in 2003. Boldin's work ethic and toughness (teammates are still amazed that he returned only three weeks after breaking his jaw last season) are beacons for younger players. His willingness to run through the middle to catch passes is inspiring.

Like so many players, Boldin thought all of that would get him more consideration from ownership when he was unhappy with his deal. Boldin felt at one point in 2008 that he had been promised a new deal. The Cardinals didn't see it that way. His former agent, Drew Rosenhaus, repeatedly asked for a new deal. When that didn't happen, Rosenhaus pushed the idea of a trade, but nothing ever materialized. Shortly after the draft, Boldin left Rosenhaus.

"That was never really how Anquan wanted to be perceived, as really wanting out no matter what," linebacker Karlos Dansby(notes) said. "He felt like he had been lied to, but you gotta get over that and move on when things don't happen. That's really the way our whole team has been. All the guys pick up on that and when something doesn't go the way we want, we regroup.

"That didn't always happen around here before."

A critical moment last year as the Cardinals reached their first Super Bowl and first championship game since 1948 was the reaction after a 47-7 loss at New England on a snowy day in the second-to-last game of the season.

"We acted like we weren't even there that day, that we didn't want to be there," Dansby said. "Our minds were like 30,000 miles from there. It was cold and all anybody wanted to be was back in Arizona. We had to talk that all through and get our minds straight. When we did, you saw what happened."

True, but if that's going to continue this season, the approach can't change. Everybody has to want to be here and willing to fight through any battle, be it with another NFL team or even ownership.

Or even if it's dealing with the hordes of fans who want autographs. Right down to the last one.

smokin.gif

[h2]Haynesworth back at practice[/h2]
Comment Email Print Share
Associated Press

3543.jpg

Haynesworth
ASHBURN, Va. -- Washington ******** defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth is back at practice after missing two straight days with a knee problem.
Haynesworth was back Tuesday morning in full pads after he had to sit out because of soreness in his left knee and received an injection to insert fluid. Haynesworth said it wasn't serious.

Steelers news, Limas Sweed is apparently looking really good this year, much more comfortable and making some great catches. If he is a solid #3 and will bearound to help the WR core when Ward retires....wow, that would be sweet. Huge year for the D-Line as well to see who stays and goes next year, will Big Snackget resigned?!

Back
Top Bottom