OFFICIAL 2010-11 SACRAMENTO KINGS SEASON THREAD - Vol. Too Lazy To Make A New Topic Right Now!

Tyreke with a jumper.
smile.gif

[h1]Tyreke Evans suspended by NBA[/h1]

/www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=92807&catid=29">http://www.news10.net/new...oryid=92807&catid=29">Sharon Ito   
bullet1.gif
  Last updated 1 hr ago  
bullet1.gif
  Posted: 8/27/2010

adlabel_horz.gif

CAUGHT ON TAPE: Tyreke Evans reckless driving video

SACRAMENTO, CA -- The NBA has suspended Tyreke Evans of the Sacramento Kings for his conviction on reckless driving.

Evans, the NBA's Rookie of the Year, has been suspended without pay for one game after pleading no contest to reckless driving.

The CHP caught Evans driving in excess of 100 mph on Interstate 80 in Citrus Heights on May 31.

A judge imposed a 30-day ban on driving as part of Evans' sentence. Evans was also ordered to serve three years informal probation and to participate in two California Highway Patrol Start Smart driving programs.

On Memorial Day, the CHP videotaped Evans' Mercedes as it changed lanes and raced a silver Dodge Challenger in the westbound lanes of Interstate 80.

The video shows CHP officers catching up with Evans at Robla Community Park where they handcuffed him. After issuing a citation, officers released Evans.

Evans later apologized to the Kings organization and fans.
News10/KXTV and The Associated Press

[h3]Copyright 2010 / All Rights Reserved[/h3]

How do you think the front court is gonna shape up with our loaded bigs? Landry, JT, Sammy, Cousins..... and then Whiteside and Jackson. The first 4 are all worthy of starting and playing significant minutes. I wonder how coach is gonna divvy up those minutes
nerd.gif

Training camp and preseason will be interesting. I think it will be Landry and Sammy D starting and JT and Cousins coming off the bench. I doubt Whiteside will get much PT, just like Brockman last year. But who knows what happens by the end of the year.

Then there is Greene vs Casspi for starting SF...

And if Tyreke will be starting PG with Cisqo at SG or Beno at PG and Tyreke at SG...

Only thing certain is that Tyreke will be starting. Capt. Obvious.

I still think we should dump Cisco. I see nothing in him
laugh.gif
Who knows maybe he'll be a pleasant surprise for me this season. I have a feeling Greene is never gonna develop from what I saw in summer league..... Casspi, I am still hold out hope for. We have okay trade pieces, but knowing how cheap the Maloofs are we won't be using any of the cap space. Book it.

Yeah, I am not a big fan of Cisqo, but I think that has to do with his long contract more than his actual productions on the court. He can pretty much do the same things as Matt Barnes, except Petrie overpaid him when he got that long contract. Even though Barnes is on that traitor !@+ now with the Lakers, I would take him over Cisqo because of his toughness. Not saying Cisqo is soft tho.

I hope we don't waste more money on players like Cisqo/Beno who can found every off-season for cheap. Unless the Kings are in championship contending mode, best to stay under the cap with cheap and short contracts. And it's not like the stars even consider signing with the Kings so I don't blame the Maloofs on being cheap. No reason to spend on average talent.

Do you see anyone out there we should sign or trade for?

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

Yeah, I am not a big fan of Cisqo, but I think that has to do with his long contract more than his actual productions on the court. He can pretty much do the same things as Matt Barnes, except Petrie overpaid him when he got that long contract. Even though Barnes is on that traitor $%% now with the Lakers, I would take him over Cisqo because of his toughness. Not saying Cisqo is soft tho.

I hope we don't waste more money on players like Cisqo/Beno who can found every off-season for cheap. Unless the Kings are in championship contending mode, best to stay under the cap with cheap and short contracts. And it's not like the stars even consider signing with the Kings so I don't blame the Maloofs on being cheap. No reason to spend on average talent.

Do you see anyone out there we should sign or trade for?

The only real chance of a big trade I could see the Kings pursuing is for more expiring contracts. I know some people that are pretty close to Grant Naper and all those guys ever talk about is the Maloof's being poor as %!%* and are in full on cost-cutting mode. So having said that, expiring contracts I think would be ok: Dunleavy Jr, Kenyon Martin followed by a buy out, Tayshaun Prince
smh.gif
The Kings are committed to our youth and I just can't see them adding pieces having put so much stock into the development of the young guys. Who knows maybe it will work, and once the Kings are good then they will be able to fill out Arco Arena, make some money, then bring in some pricey talent? Either that or make money, and then sell the team or relocate
laugh.gif

I see Sacramento going the Oklahoma City route and letting the youngsters develop. If there's a deal out there, they'll pull one. Otherwise, they'll preserve the cap space.

Dunleavy and Prince are good character guys, but probably past their primes now. I would hope they get to help a real contender. Not a big fan of the other K-Mart and he will just get in the way. Unless they sign for cheap like some ring chasing contracts. But that isn't happening in Sac.

Yeah, I hope the Kings do go the Thunder route and take it slow.

The Kings have cap space right now and in the future so I am happy with that.

And yeah, the Maloofs do act kind of cheap even with all that money, but I would try to avoid @$@ from Grant Napear. He is a certified hater. LOL. But yeah, wish I had his job tho. Peaches...

I think the Kings did ok financially last year. I need to look up their financials some day.

And yeah, the Maloofs do act kind of cheap even with all that money, but I would try to avoid %+* from Grant Napear. He is a certified hater. LOL. But yeah, wish I had his job tho. Peaches...

I think the Kings did ok financially last year. I need to look up their financials some day.

I like Naper, he keeps it real and tells it how it is; albeit a little OD on the realness. And he really is BFFs with the Maloofs and still calls them and the Kings out alot
laugh.gif

I remember hearing the Kings were either real close to coming out even or made just a lil bit of money.

Just say no to Melo on the Kings. Maybe a couple years down the line when the Kings need that final superstar vet piece...
Any time you have the opportunity to trade for a top 5 player in the league, and not give up the 2 most valuable pieces on your team, you do it.

Originally Posted by swizzc

Just say no to Melo on the Kings. Maybe a couple years down the line when the Kings need that final superstar vet piece...
Any time you have the opportunity to trade for a top 5 player in the league, and not give up the 2 most valuable pieces on your team, you do it.
But this isn't some videogame where no one cares about $ impact when making trades. No way the Kings trade for Melo without him re-signing first. The problem then is that his extension is huge and who knows how low the salary cap will be after the next season. Now the Kings won't have the financial flexibility they created by the trades the past few seasons. The Kings should only go above the salary cap when they are contending for championships. Bringing in Melo in is nice, but at this point, they are not better than the Nuggets and they stay losing to the Lakers.

And you traded the Kings' pick for Al Jefferson in the mock draft %!*...
indifferent.gif

Why couldn't he request a trade a season or two ago, while we were the crappiest team. If he resigns (not likely) I wouldn't be so against it. The Kings worked hard rebuilding this team and for the first time in a while I'm satisfied in how this team looks. Melo would do more harm to this team than good imo.

But this isn't some videogame where no one cares about $ impact when making trades. No way the Kings trade for Melo without him re-signing first. The problem then is that his extension is huge and who knows how low the salary cap will be after the next season. Now the Kings won't have the financial flexibility they created by the trades the past few seasons. The Kings should only go above the salary cap when they are contending for championships. Bringing in Melo in is nice, but at this point, they are not better than the Nuggets and they stay losing to the Lakers.

indifferent.gif

Cousins and Favors were off the board. For this team, Al >>>> Wesley Johnson.  Moving on...

You need 2 bonafide superstars and a great 3rd option to win a title in this league.  The addition of Melo would give you the two superstars, which is by far the largest hurdle to leap to see the Kings contending.  What top 5 player would the Kings sign with our "financial flexibility"? The reason why you put yourself into this position is so you can pull the trigger on trades like this when they arise.  I understand the concern about signing Melo to an extension before the new CBA, and that is certainly an issue that GP would have to weigh before making a trade.  I just think picking up talent like this is so rare, you can't pas up on it (i.e. Webber)

Casspi + Landry + Next years first for Melo

Solidifies the 3 spot, top 5 talent in the game to start and a great 6th man that can cover Melo's shortcoming on defense with Donte coming off the bench.
Dally / Cousins / JT is a great frontline that has all of the intangibles we'd need to compete (1 shotblocking / rebouding big, 1 passing / scoring big, 1 great hustle / energy big)
Tyreke holds down one guard spot, potential top 15 talent in the game.
Beno / Cisco at the other guard spot bring the utilities you would need to contend. 

I don't see how this team doesn't compete for a top spot in the west after 1 year to gel.

I dont know whats funnier, you thinking casspi + landy + 1st would get melo, or if denver even considers that offer.

Originally Posted by BangDak

I dont know whats funnier, you thinking casspi + landy + 1st would get melo, or if denver even considers that offer.
Word around the league is that Denver wants a cheap replacement for KMart that is still talented (Landry), youth (Casspi, first rounder who is 22 i believe) and picks (next years 1st rounder, we could throw in the year after as well). So how exactly is that funny....

Originally Posted by BangDak

Landry or JT +Greene+Casspi+multiple 1st+cash(which would probably be the deal breakers for the Maloofs
laugh.gif
) for Melo + a shotty contract of theirs.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Throw in Whiteside and they might think about it.

Seriously, outside of Evans and Cousins there is nothing attractive to offer to the Nuggets.

indifferent.gif

Cousins and Favors were off the board. For this team, Al >>>> Wesley Johnson.  Moving on...

You need 2 bonafide superstars and a great 3rd option to win a title in this league.  The addition of Melo would give you the two superstars, which is by far the largest hurdle to leap to see the Kings contending.  What top 5 player would the Kings sign with our "financial flexibility"? The reason why you put yourself into this position is so you can pull the trigger on trades like this when they arise.  I understand the concern about signing Melo to an extension before the new CBA, and that is certainly an issue that GP would have to weigh before making a trade.  I just think picking up talent like this is so rare, you can't pas up on it (i.e. Webber)

Casspi + Landry + Next years first for Melo

Solidifies the 3 spot, top 5 talent in the game to start and a great 6th man that can cover Melo's shortcoming on defense with Donte coming off the bench.
Dally / Cousins / JT is a great frontline that has all of the intangibles we'd need to compete (1 shotblocking / rebouding big, 1 passing / scoring big, 1 great hustle / energy big)
Tyreke holds down one guard spot, potential top 15 talent in the game.
Beno / Cisco at the other guard spot bring the utilities you would need to contend. 

I don't see how this team doesn't compete for a top spot in the west after 1 year to gel.
Al Jefferson tho? The hardcore Minny fan JPZx yappin all month long before the draft about Minny trading Big Al no matter what (and they did with the Jazz), but you actually did it in the fantasy world? No Love?

Anyways, I understand the concept of needing legit franchise players to win a championship, but I don't feel like this is the right time to trade for that final push with Reke-DMC. As long as Kobe Bryant is on the Lakers, the Kings will be playing for #2. It took years for Petrie to give up this re-loading  $#* and start over. Why give up so fast? Why be the next Mavs?

And we have to give away all our young talent for just one player. Carmelo is no LeBron. Advance stats hate on Big Al and Carmelo every year. Lol. No thanks! 

[h1]Tyreke Evans and Paul Westphal on Sacramento's Future[/h1]
8/31/2010 2:40 PM ET By Sam Amick

PrintAText Size

• Sam Amick
    • Senior NBA Writer
evans-westphal-1209-307.jpg
It's not that the Kings have already forgotten about reigning Rookie of the Year Tyreke Evans. He's still considered the franchise's centerpiece talent and their ticket back to the NBA's top tier.

But he'll never be a rookie again, meaning it's only natural that they move on to someone who will be when it comes to campaigning for that particular award. That role has already been assigned to DeMarcus Cousins, the big man from Kentucky who was taken fifth overall by the Kings in the June draft.

This picture shows the movement in action, with Cousins donning a clever 'ROY-DMC' t-shirt that's a spinoff of Evans' REKE-ROY apparel from last season. There are even bigger pictures hanging from Arco Arena, where 35-by-118 feet banners showcase Evans and Cousins in a similarly not-so-subtle fashion.

But in the only big picture that matters, the Kings -- who have won just 17 and 25 games in the last two seasons, respectively -- are finally feeling as if they have a young core worth bragging about. Cousins, Carl Landry, Jason Thompson and second-round draft pick Hassan Whiteside (Marshall) join newly-acquired veteran Samuel Dalembert down low. Third-year Donte' Greene will again battle second-year Omri Casspi for the starting spot at small forward, with free agent signee veteran Antoine Wright, fellow vet Francisco Garcia and perhaps a couple of surprise candidates (more on that from Kings coach Paul Westphal later) pushing for the job, as well.

And while Evans mostly teamed up with veteran guard Beno Udrih in the backcourt last season, Westphal will surely take looks at Garcia playing alongside him, as well as new point guard Pooh Jeter. With the focus of our Evans feature published today on the saga of his jump shot, we take a peek at the Kings as a whole through the eyes of two of their most important members. Both interviews took place in mid-August.

[size=+1]Tyreke Evans[/size]

On the team in its updated state ...

"We've got a good draft pick this year, two of them that can help us. ... We've got Hassan who can block shots, and DeMarcus is just another big body for us to get big rebounds and set good screens. He's a big guy, and with the types of screens that he's going to put on people, they're going to get stuck and that's going to give me a lot of opportunity to get free baskets or get other guys open shots.

On the intentionally-slow start to his summer, as he took a month off after the season ended in mid-April ...

"I took the most time off ever. After the season was over, I took a month off. It was hard, because the season was still going and the playoffs. And after the game would end, I would want to go and work out but I was like, 'Nah, chill, you played hard this year. Eighty-two games, it's tough. Get some rest.'

[color= rgb(153, 153, 153)][table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Evans working out with trainer Rob McClanaghan[/td] [/tr][/table][/color] "I was home (in Pennsylvania), back and forth between home, Sacramento and LA. I haven't really got a vacation like that (before). Now I'm conditioning, shooting consistently, running on a treadmill, getting in that game shape before I go to LA Thursday to work with (trainer Rob McClanaghan).

"It's me, (Chicago's Derrick) Rose, (Memphis') OJ (Mayo), working with him (at different points during the year). (Oklahoma City's Kevin) Durant, (Russell) Westbrook. He's a great guy to work with. I'll be in LA for two weeks, then come back to Sac, work out more, then I've got to come home.

On how much better he expects the Kings to be ...

"I don' t know for sure, but for me seeing (Cousins) two days before (the team) left for summer league -- when I was in there working with him -- that's good. I know he's a hard worker. ... We're just going to worry about basketball and winning -- me, him, Hassan, and the rest of the team have a chance to be like the Thunder, an up and coming team. We've just got to come together, play together, not worrying about scoring and just play as a team and I think we can make the playoffs. That's the goal. It has to start in training camp, though. We've got to come together, practice hard, play hard, and the games you have to do the same thing.

On his added weight, his recent affinity for lifting weights after never doing so before and how he plans to use the extra bulk ...

"I'm 228 (pounds) now, and I was 220 when I was playing (last season). I like the size. It's nice for me to bully the guards around. I did it last year, but it's going to be even worse this year. I'll just have fun with it. (Now) I know how to do it. I'm used to it.

"I've been lifting weights, getting stronger. I've never been a weights guy. As you seen in my high school tapes, I was skinny. I've got natural strength, so I just did pushups and situps. I didn't really like the weights too much."

[size=+1]Paul Westphal[/size]

On what he hopes to see from Evans in Year No. 2 ...

paul-westphal-0310-307.jpg
"Certainly Tyreke is going to come back with an improved shot. We've already seen that it's improving. ... (But) I don't want that to be all anyone talks about with him, because he's such a dominant player at such a young age and he's only going to get better. That's all I'm looking for him to do is keep being a versatile all around player and keep improving in all aspects of his game. I think that's what he wants to.

"That's one of the things I like about him is he's not a specialist. He's an all around player who comes out there to win. And the more experience he gets, the better the players are around him, the more the team settles into a consistency, the more we'll see him be who I think he can be in this league -- which is somebody who can help you win games in a whole lot of different ways.

"He's just getting started, and there are going to be some mistakes along the way, some times when he tries things and it either works and he adds it to his game or it doesn't work and he pulls back in that area. That's just a natural progression of a basketball player. He's starting so far ahead in his game, but his journey is just beginning. The thing I like most about him besides his talent is his willingness to admit if he made a mistake and to work on the things he needs to work on and really strive to be an all around player rather than say, a scorer. I see his career as some games he'll have a big scoring game and the next game he may not need to score much. That doesn't really bother him, because he's helping his team win. That's a big strength of his game that I think will come out over the course of his career."

On the freedom he gives Evans as a coach and why he chooses that style ...

"I just know that as a player that the coaches that got the most out of me were the coaches who would live with a mistake every now and then. And as long as the effort and the will to win is there, which I never see as a problem with Tyreke, how are you going to expand your game if you don't try things? And how are you going to work on what you need to work on?

"I just think that it's important that we learn everything we can about what this kid can do, and the only way you can do that is to encourage him to try things. I think that if he was somebody who refused to play defense or was unwilling to pass his ball to his teammates or was someone who was just trying to go for stats, there would be a problem. But the fact that he is 20 years old and as versatile as he is, I think it's time for him to learn what works and what doesn't work and I don't see any reason not to encourage him in those ways."

On his overall expectations for the team ...

"I think this year is the next step in the development of this team. Since I joined the team, along with (Kings basketball president) Geoff (Petrie) and the Maloofs (the team's owners), I think we've always looked at the big picture -- trying to get this team back to being one of the special teams in the league. Last year was laying the groundwork for that. I think the groundwork is laid. I think we've added some better talent, some important pieces that any good team needs. So we've got to build on what we did last year and everyone needs to go to the next level -- wherever that level may be. We're not saying, 'Look out Miami, we're knocking off the Lakers and going to be in the Finals,' but we expect progress off what we built last year and I think that's reasonable to expect that."

On whether he sees Evans as a leader ...

"I think that's a big part of the next level of his development. He has a built-in respect for other players, and as a rookie -- particularly a rookie after one year of college -- he was reluctant to tell other people what they should be doing when he's learning what he should be doing himself and what the league is all about. Now he has a year under his belt, and the obvious success he's had, I think it would be natural for him to be a little bit more out front with his leadership and I'm sure we'll see that."

On the summertime goings-on of his players ...

"All of our players have been working in different venues. (Kings assistant) Truck (Robinson) is paying a visit on Carl Landry, and going back to work with DeMarcus. Jason Thompson and Hassan went to (Denver assistant Tim) Grgurich's camp in Las Vegas, and that was good for them. Pooh Jeter is working every day. He's mad that they closed the sand dunes in Manhattan Beach (because) he wanted to run up and down those every day. Our guys are spread out and working, and the coaches are with them when it's appropriate.

"I'm just excited for a whole new chapter. I think we've added some things that we were wishing we had last year. We should be a better rebounding team, a better shot-blocking team. We've got more veterans on the team, a better balance. I think we have better balance among the positions. ... I just think we're heading in the right direction."

omri-casspi-0910-200.jpg
On who will start at the small forward position ...

"I wouldn't say there's any clarity at all right now. I think it's a wide open competition. I don't look at just Omri and Donte' as contenders for that spot. I think that Antoine Wright and Cisco (Garcia) could play that spot, and also I want to see if either Jason and or Carl can play a little at that spot. There's a lot of different ways we can go, and we're going to give them all an opportunity to make their case there.

"There are concerns with any of those scenarios, and you can drive yourself crazy because all those players bring something different. But we do want to see what it looks like with those various possibilities. Obviously the idea is to get the best, most consistent team you can out there. You want to get your best players on the floor as much as possible."

On whether it's safe to assume Udrih and Evans will start in the backcourt ...

"Nothing is ever in stone, but that's the way we're looking at it right now for sure."

On whether Dalembert will start at center and if Cousins can play some power forward ...

"I would expect Samuel to be the starter. I'm not sure how the other positions shape up, and even that is subject to change depending on what things look like once we get out on the court. But the way it looks to me he would have to lose that spot, and I don't expect that to happen.

"I don't think (Cousins) is necessarily a four (power forward) defensively. For example, if we played Sam and DeMarcus together, I think Sam would probably guard the fours. But offensively there's no question he can play four and five. DeMarcus is a very versatile offensive player. He can move between inside and outside I think real easily."

On the hiring of Cousins' high school coach, Otis Hughley, as an assistant and how that should be perceived ...

"We weren't even necessarily going to fill Bryan's spot, other than to move some other assignments around (former Kings assistant Bryan Gates took an assistant job with New Orleans in late June). When we got to know Otis, we were really impressed with how much he cares about the kids. He's worked with young kids, and we've got several young guys on the team who I think Otis can really be good for them -- on the court and off the court. He's an experienced, impressive guy, who I think we're very fortunate to have.

"I'm not sure if having Otis on staff will change much in regards to DeMarcus. ... Otis is really on the staff for a lot more reasons than DeMarcus. It's just that we got to know him through DeMarcus and were impressed. It's not like if you want to talk to DeMarcus you talk to Otis. It's not anywhere near like that, so I don't really think of him in regards to DeMarcus as much as him being really good at working with young players and we have several right now I think he can help with. I think that if you spend 10 minutes with Otis, you learn about his passion for the game -- working with the players on and off the floor. He's gifted that way, and I think he's an addition to any staff."

Free agent guard Luther Head will go to camp with the Sacramento Kings on a non-guaranteed deal, league sources tell Y!

Former Celtic and Knick swingman J.R. Giddens invited to Kings training camp. Giddens says his surgically repaired left knee a lot stronger.

Have a good labor day weekend folks! Stay safe!

Back
Top Bottom