OFFICIAL 2010-2011 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD : VOL. MOST. ANTICIPATED. PLAYOFFS. EVER?

^
Maybe they think they are miracle workers and could get his knees right.  (which is not possible) 
laugh.gif

That contract is the Titanic.  And I was totally duped by him and his people cryin to the media about not getting respected by the Org.  They knew what they were doing.  They swindled that team and strong armed them into the deal. 
30t6p3b.gif

^
Maybe they think they are miracle workers and could get his knees right.  (which is not possible) 
laugh.gif

That contract is the Titanic.  And I was totally duped by him and his people cryin to the media about not getting respected by the Org.  They knew what they were doing.  They swindled that team and strong armed them into the deal. 
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

And Memphis can go ahead and do away with those jersey's please. 
laugh.gif
I think you and I are the only ones that don't like those jerseys 

laugh.gif

[h1]Mayo cool with move to bench despite how it might look[/h1]Wednesday night at Arco Arena, O.J. Mayo was coming off the Grizzlies bench behind Tony Allen at shooting guard, just as Mayo had backed up Sam Young the game before that, just as Mayo worked as second-string to Xavier Henry, a rookie, most of the last five weeks.
The Grizz really, really weren't kidding about the new role. Mayo may have been moved to the second unit for a lot of the right reasons, namely the crying need for bench scoring and an opportunity for him to be more of a focal point than part of the Rudy Gay-Zach Randolph-Mike Conley starting group. But, wow. A relatively minor knee injury sidelines Henry and Memphis tries Young and then Allen as replacements, not the No. 3 pick in 2008 who started the previous two seasons and averaged 18.5 and 17.5 points in the process.

This is an unexpected twist even for the long, tangled basketball odyssey of Ovinton J'Anthony Mayo, shimmering high school talent in West Virginia and Ohio, shocking USC recruit, NBA lottery pick, focal point of an NCAA investigation that busted USC earlier this year, and now a player that seems to be standing close to a professional intersection. His stats are in decline, he is up for a new contract just as the Grizzlies put their money into Gay and Mike Conley and have to weigh the value of free agent-to-be Randolph coming off a 20-10 season. And -- oh, yeah -- his job description has dramatically changed.

Mayo has, by all indications, been nothing short of exemplary in accepting sixth-man duty. Indeed, when he initially seemed passive after the Nov. 20 lineup switch with Henry, coaches encouraged him to be more assertive. They pushed him to shoot more and maybe re-capture some of the scoring flash that has dwindled all the way to 13 points (41.8 percent from the field).

The Grizzlies came armed with obligatory references to Manu Ginobili and Jason Terry, the generation's poster children for bench production, and even John Havlicek, hoping to show that perceived demotion isn't actual demotion. Mayo bought into it, saying all the right things about this new NBA life. He insists, despite what to most would be an ego hit, that he hopes he is not traded and wants to stay long term with Memphis, in whatever role the Grizzlies choose.

"It's been cool," he said. "I haven't been starting games, but I've been finishing a lot of them. That's always a positive."

Mayo was there Wednesday night, nailing a fallaway jumper with 1.5 seconds left that apparently gave the Grizzlies a win over the Kings -- until, that is, Tyeke Evans came up with the shot of the year.
So it has been for Mayo lately.
It is difficult, if not impossible, to view 2010-11 as anything other than backsliding. Kevin Love -- the same Kevin Love, drafted at No. 5 in 2008, who was traded to the Timberwolves as part of the Draft-night blockbuster that delivered Mayo to Memphis -- has leaped over Mayo in public perception. Mayo plugs along.

"I'm cool, man," he said. "I'm strong-minded. I've been through a lot of different things. I guess if you want to call it a bump in the road or whatever, it's cool. I'm looking forward to getting better, practicing hard each and every day and just continue getting better until I see better days. But everything's bright for me, I feel. I'm cool.

"I just stay positive. There's no point, because you're not starting, of getting into a [funk] or feeling sorry for yourself. There's a lot of good players on good teams who come off the bench, like Jason Terry, Jamal Crawford. Manu Ginobili came off the bench when they won rings. If it's for the betterment of the team, you can't complain. I just want the team to be better. This is the team I'm part of right now so I want what's best for the team. I don't think the coach would make any adjustment that was for the worse of the team. You've got to look at it like that and just play as hard as you can."

He's still getting time, still getting shots and still playing in crucial stretches as the 14-18 Grizzlies try to stay close to the playoff pack in the Western Conference. It's cool.

Source

[h1]Mayo cool with move to bench despite how it might look[/h1]Wednesday night at Arco Arena, O.J. Mayo was coming off the Grizzlies bench behind Tony Allen at shooting guard, just as Mayo had backed up Sam Young the game before that, just as Mayo worked as second-string to Xavier Henry, a rookie, most of the last five weeks.
The Grizz really, really weren't kidding about the new role. Mayo may have been moved to the second unit for a lot of the right reasons, namely the crying need for bench scoring and an opportunity for him to be more of a focal point than part of the Rudy Gay-Zach Randolph-Mike Conley starting group. But, wow. A relatively minor knee injury sidelines Henry and Memphis tries Young and then Allen as replacements, not the No. 3 pick in 2008 who started the previous two seasons and averaged 18.5 and 17.5 points in the process.

This is an unexpected twist even for the long, tangled basketball odyssey of Ovinton J'Anthony Mayo, shimmering high school talent in West Virginia and Ohio, shocking USC recruit, NBA lottery pick, focal point of an NCAA investigation that busted USC earlier this year, and now a player that seems to be standing close to a professional intersection. His stats are in decline, he is up for a new contract just as the Grizzlies put their money into Gay and Mike Conley and have to weigh the value of free agent-to-be Randolph coming off a 20-10 season. And -- oh, yeah -- his job description has dramatically changed.

Mayo has, by all indications, been nothing short of exemplary in accepting sixth-man duty. Indeed, when he initially seemed passive after the Nov. 20 lineup switch with Henry, coaches encouraged him to be more assertive. They pushed him to shoot more and maybe re-capture some of the scoring flash that has dwindled all the way to 13 points (41.8 percent from the field).

The Grizzlies came armed with obligatory references to Manu Ginobili and Jason Terry, the generation's poster children for bench production, and even John Havlicek, hoping to show that perceived demotion isn't actual demotion. Mayo bought into it, saying all the right things about this new NBA life. He insists, despite what to most would be an ego hit, that he hopes he is not traded and wants to stay long term with Memphis, in whatever role the Grizzlies choose.

"It's been cool," he said. "I haven't been starting games, but I've been finishing a lot of them. That's always a positive."

Mayo was there Wednesday night, nailing a fallaway jumper with 1.5 seconds left that apparently gave the Grizzlies a win over the Kings -- until, that is, Tyeke Evans came up with the shot of the year.
So it has been for Mayo lately.
It is difficult, if not impossible, to view 2010-11 as anything other than backsliding. Kevin Love -- the same Kevin Love, drafted at No. 5 in 2008, who was traded to the Timberwolves as part of the Draft-night blockbuster that delivered Mayo to Memphis -- has leaped over Mayo in public perception. Mayo plugs along.

"I'm cool, man," he said. "I'm strong-minded. I've been through a lot of different things. I guess if you want to call it a bump in the road or whatever, it's cool. I'm looking forward to getting better, practicing hard each and every day and just continue getting better until I see better days. But everything's bright for me, I feel. I'm cool.

"I just stay positive. There's no point, because you're not starting, of getting into a [funk] or feeling sorry for yourself. There's a lot of good players on good teams who come off the bench, like Jason Terry, Jamal Crawford. Manu Ginobili came off the bench when they won rings. If it's for the betterment of the team, you can't complain. I just want the team to be better. This is the team I'm part of right now so I want what's best for the team. I don't think the coach would make any adjustment that was for the worse of the team. You've got to look at it like that and just play as hard as you can."

He's still getting time, still getting shots and still playing in crucial stretches as the 14-18 Grizzlies try to stay close to the playoff pack in the Western Conference. It's cool.

Source

[h2]Woe is Phoenix: Nash is ranting, Gortat complaining[/h2][h2]http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...ash-is-ranting-Gortat-complain?urn=nba-301852from Ball Don't Lie - NBA - Yahoo! Sports by Kelly Dwyer[/h2]
ept_sports_nba_experts-770454596-1293732605.jpg

All is not well in Phoenix. The Suns lost in embarrassing fashion last night to the Philadelphia 76ers, and stalwarts like former MVP Steve Nash are venting, if not publicly, while newly acquired veterans like Marcin Gortat are wondering just when the 13-17 team is going to learn to play defense.

The Phoenix Suns are last in the NBA in defensive efficiency, and they are last in the league in defensive efficiency by a wide margin. This isn't pace skewing with the numbers. This isn't a pretty good team that happens to have one failing that allows it to mingle with lesser lights like Minnesota and Golden State toward the bottom of the defensive standings. No, the Suns are the worst, and they're the worst by a lot.

And new addition Marcin Gortat is flummoxed as to why his new team wants to play the way it does. After last night's embarrassing loss to the 76ers, Gortat vented to the media (via @outsidethenba):
"I just think we have to be at the gym everyday for three hours and just learn the rotations, learn everything from the beginning. There are so many things we are doing bad and I just can't find an explanation. I'm trying to get some rebounds and stops, but unfortunately there aren't very many opportunity for me to get rebounds."

No, there aren't. And at some point, though the Suns' brass hasn't done the coaching staff any favors with its penny-pinching ways and sometimes-regrettable deals, coach Alvin Gentry's role in this needs to be discussed.
http://
In the eyes of way too many people, Gentry is the guy who finally got the Suns playing defense last season, which couldn't be further from the truth. All he did was slow the team down a little offensively, in literal terms. The Suns didn't run as much, though they scored with great efficiency, and that limited the amount of points their opponents could put up. So on the surface, sure, the points allowed went down. But when you factored pace into the equation, the Suns were far, far worse under Gentry defensively than they were under Mike D'Antoni, who was roundly criticized for paying little attention to the defensive side of things when he coached the Suns from 2003-08.

The frustration doesn't end there. As anyone who watched last night's game would tell you, Steve Nash was in a rage all night, usually at the referees. There were several instances where he could have been called for a technical foul for complaining (he only received one, and could have received another after his reaction that that particular whistle); and while the refereeing wasn't exactly spot on, it wasn't the problem.

The team is the problem, the refs were the scapegoat, and Nash is losing it, yelling towards Gentry after one particularly frustrating call. Pro Basketball Talk has the heavily edited quote:
"I'm going to [expletive] punch one of these [expletives] in the face."

Just watching from my couch, there were many more F-bombs to be read from Nash's lips throughout the loss to Philadelphia.

I'd tell you that this situation is worth watching, but you might want to keep your kids out of the room, while you're watching it. Bad language and poor screen-and-roll defense are two nasty habits to pick up.

At least the Magic won in this. 
eyes.gif

[h2]Woe is Phoenix: Nash is ranting, Gortat complaining[/h2][h2]http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...ash-is-ranting-Gortat-complain?urn=nba-301852from Ball Don't Lie - NBA - Yahoo! Sports by Kelly Dwyer[/h2]
ept_sports_nba_experts-770454596-1293732605.jpg

All is not well in Phoenix. The Suns lost in embarrassing fashion last night to the Philadelphia 76ers, and stalwarts like former MVP Steve Nash are venting, if not publicly, while newly acquired veterans like Marcin Gortat are wondering just when the 13-17 team is going to learn to play defense.

The Phoenix Suns are last in the NBA in defensive efficiency, and they are last in the league in defensive efficiency by a wide margin. This isn't pace skewing with the numbers. This isn't a pretty good team that happens to have one failing that allows it to mingle with lesser lights like Minnesota and Golden State toward the bottom of the defensive standings. No, the Suns are the worst, and they're the worst by a lot.

And new addition Marcin Gortat is flummoxed as to why his new team wants to play the way it does. After last night's embarrassing loss to the 76ers, Gortat vented to the media (via @outsidethenba):
"I just think we have to be at the gym everyday for three hours and just learn the rotations, learn everything from the beginning. There are so many things we are doing bad and I just can't find an explanation. I'm trying to get some rebounds and stops, but unfortunately there aren't very many opportunity for me to get rebounds."

No, there aren't. And at some point, though the Suns' brass hasn't done the coaching staff any favors with its penny-pinching ways and sometimes-regrettable deals, coach Alvin Gentry's role in this needs to be discussed.
http://
In the eyes of way too many people, Gentry is the guy who finally got the Suns playing defense last season, which couldn't be further from the truth. All he did was slow the team down a little offensively, in literal terms. The Suns didn't run as much, though they scored with great efficiency, and that limited the amount of points their opponents could put up. So on the surface, sure, the points allowed went down. But when you factored pace into the equation, the Suns were far, far worse under Gentry defensively than they were under Mike D'Antoni, who was roundly criticized for paying little attention to the defensive side of things when he coached the Suns from 2003-08.

The frustration doesn't end there. As anyone who watched last night's game would tell you, Steve Nash was in a rage all night, usually at the referees. There were several instances where he could have been called for a technical foul for complaining (he only received one, and could have received another after his reaction that that particular whistle); and while the refereeing wasn't exactly spot on, it wasn't the problem.

The team is the problem, the refs were the scapegoat, and Nash is losing it, yelling towards Gentry after one particularly frustrating call. Pro Basketball Talk has the heavily edited quote:
"I'm going to [expletive] punch one of these [expletives] in the face."

Just watching from my couch, there were many more F-bombs to be read from Nash's lips throughout the loss to Philadelphia.

I'd tell you that this situation is worth watching, but you might want to keep your kids out of the room, while you're watching it. Bad language and poor screen-and-roll defense are two nasty habits to pick up.

At least the Magic won in this. 
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Blazers21NTNP

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

laugh.gif
There's folks out there that like those uniforms?
indifferent.gif
I've never seen anybody post about how they don't like em
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
nerd.gif
Grizzlies Releasing Road Alternate Jerseys Tonight @ Open Practice

I don't think I've ever seen/heard anything positive said about them. I threw out shots at them all last season, and did a couple of weeks ago, too. The Grizz need to do away with them quick, like the Wiz & Kings did with their ugly @*# alternates.

laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

I don't think I've ever seen/heard anything positive said about them. I threw out shots at them all last season, and did a couple of weeks ago, too. The Grizz need to do away with them quick, like the Wiz & Kings did with their ugly @*# alternates.

Funny cuz a week ago I was called an idiot for saying the Suns were stupid for this trade. 
laugh.gif

They HAVE TO trade Nash.  There is ZERO excuse not to do it.  Get what you can for the guy, he has value, he will get you return, him being on your roster does nothing for you long term. 

Funny cuz a week ago I was called an idiot for saying the Suns were stupid for this trade. 
laugh.gif

They HAVE TO trade Nash.  There is ZERO excuse not to do it.  Get what you can for the guy, he has value, he will get you return, him being on your roster does nothing for you long term. 

laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

those are the worst jerseys in the league
sick.gif
they should have just taken the template of the home/away jersey and just made it baby blue. would have been SICKKKK
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

those are the worst jerseys in the league
sick.gif
they should have just taken the template of the home/away jersey and just made it baby blue. would have been SICKKKK
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom