OFFICIAL 2010-2011 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD : VOL. MOST. ANTICIPATED. PLAYOFFS. EVER?

Denver should have kept going back to Gallo in OT, he lost his rhythm... that shot looked good though

Denver should have kept going back to Gallo in OT, he lost his rhythm... that shot looked good though

Double....
So, are we trying to turn into the Celtics of the West? 
laugh.gif

That 3 not going in shook Gallo up. I would've gave it to him again for the final shot though

- This just in Brandon Roy out 2 months with back injury.

That 3 not going in shook Gallo up. I would've gave it to him again for the final shot though

- This just in Brandon Roy out 2 months with back injury.

laugh.gif
@ Deron saying all the right things at the end of the loss to SA. So transparent.
Originally Posted by Noskey

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!

ao5dls.jpg
Wait is this at a real game? Portland fans are wylin
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Blazers21NTNP

Felton. 
tired.gif
Fam was buggin in the end. He's quasi bum status. Can't be called clutch when your shots be getting lucky bounces. Should've took the shot in the end too though cuz I don't even think Affalo got that shot off in time.

AND even in Denver Felton still is brushing off Gallo when he's open. Homey been hot all game. Dude gets one touch in OT. Should've been Gallo and Affalo the whole 5 minutes.

laugh.gif
@ Deron saying all the right things at the end of the loss to SA. So transparent.
Originally Posted by Noskey

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!

ao5dls.jpg
Wait is this at a real game? Portland fans are wylin
laugh.gif

Felton. 
tired.gif
Fam was buggin in the end. He's quasi bum status. Can't be called clutch when your shots be getting lucky bounces. Should've took the shot in the end too though cuz I don't even think Affalo got that shot off in time.

AND even in Denver Felton still is brushing off Gallo when he's open. Homey been hot all game. Dude gets one touch in OT. Should've been Gallo and Affalo the whole 5 minutes.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Felton. 
tired.gif

Agreed; should have been all Arron & Danilo at the end. That L falls on Felton & GK.

Pretty entertaining game, nonetheless.

Felton. 
tired.gif

Agreed; should have been all Arron & Danilo at the end. That L falls on Felton & GK.

Pretty entertaining game, nonetheless.

Sam Presti.
30t6p3b.gif

Finally, Oklahoma City's two trades carry more than on-court ramifications.

Not only did they bring in talented centres and a good backup guard for expendable pieces; they also opened up some financial flexibility. After restructuring Nick Collison's contract earlier in the season, the Thunder found themselves right at the salary cap line, below it by mere pittance. Their two deals, though, have seen them open up $2,056,512 in cap room that they did not previously have.

This is significant for one simple reason.

Earlier in the season, Boston offered Kenny Perkins a contract extension, which he declined. Perkins said no because the extension that the Celtics offered, whilst the maximum they were allowed to offer under CBA extension rules, was probably lower than what Perkins could corral in the summertime on the open market. But by creating this small amount of cap room, OKC can now offer him a bigger extension than Boston could.

NBA contracts are only renegotiable if

a) they're going upwards, and
b) the team has cap room.

Because teams so rarely have cap room, and because it rarely behooves teams to pay their already-under-contract players more money, it almost ever happens. Indeed, before this season, I could not name you a single occurrence of it happening; it probably has at some point, yet that's a testament to how rare it is.

However, in this modern, sabermetric, MIT-laden internet-era NBA, executives are far more cap creative than they used to be. Therefore, this barely-used strategy has been used twice far already this season. Washington used their leftover cap room to increase Andray Blatche's salary, almost doubling his pay over the final two seasons of his contract and simultaneously tacking on a three year extension. Rather than chancing losing him on the 2012 open market, the team tied him in for five years for a total of $35,730,997, tying down a productive young player for a significant period of time. The Thunder themselves later one-upped this move with a $17.55 million extension for Collison that deliberately, humorously and yet craftily made him the fourth highest paid centre in the world ($13,670,000), behind only Amare Stoudemire ($16,486,611), Dwight Howard ($16,647,180) and Yao Ming ($17,686,100).

By simultaneously acquiring cap space with the underpaid Kenny Perk, OKC can now do a Baltche with him. OKC can use their cap space to renegotiate Perkins's current $4,640,208 salary up to as much $6,696,720. From there, they can concurrently offer a new four year extension totalling a a maximum of $33,818,436, or any number below that that they feel happier with.

Add in the extra negotiated salary, and that's over $35 million for four years that OKC can theoretically offer him, as-near-as-is $9 million per. In contrast, Boston could only offer circa $6 million per. It's a significant difference.

If Perkins thinks he can get that much on the open market, he's wrong. He's not even worth that much, especially with his current injury concerns. Yet if OKC anticipates his return to full health, and wants to tie in the defensive centrepiece that they have thus far lacked during the entire Kevin Durant era without running the risk of him hitting the open market, they can do so right now.

But they'll also have to do so right now.

Because there's a problem.

They only have until March 1st to do it.

So they'd better impress him quickly.
Link

Sam Presti.
30t6p3b.gif

Finally, Oklahoma City's two trades carry more than on-court ramifications.

Not only did they bring in talented centres and a good backup guard for expendable pieces; they also opened up some financial flexibility. After restructuring Nick Collison's contract earlier in the season, the Thunder found themselves right at the salary cap line, below it by mere pittance. Their two deals, though, have seen them open up $2,056,512 in cap room that they did not previously have.

This is significant for one simple reason.

Earlier in the season, Boston offered Kenny Perkins a contract extension, which he declined. Perkins said no because the extension that the Celtics offered, whilst the maximum they were allowed to offer under CBA extension rules, was probably lower than what Perkins could corral in the summertime on the open market. But by creating this small amount of cap room, OKC can now offer him a bigger extension than Boston could.

NBA contracts are only renegotiable if

a) they're going upwards, and
b) the team has cap room.

Because teams so rarely have cap room, and because it rarely behooves teams to pay their already-under-contract players more money, it almost ever happens. Indeed, before this season, I could not name you a single occurrence of it happening; it probably has at some point, yet that's a testament to how rare it is.

However, in this modern, sabermetric, MIT-laden internet-era NBA, executives are far more cap creative than they used to be. Therefore, this barely-used strategy has been used twice far already this season. Washington used their leftover cap room to increase Andray Blatche's salary, almost doubling his pay over the final two seasons of his contract and simultaneously tacking on a three year extension. Rather than chancing losing him on the 2012 open market, the team tied him in for five years for a total of $35,730,997, tying down a productive young player for a significant period of time. The Thunder themselves later one-upped this move with a $17.55 million extension for Collison that deliberately, humorously and yet craftily made him the fourth highest paid centre in the world ($13,670,000), behind only Amare Stoudemire ($16,486,611), Dwight Howard ($16,647,180) and Yao Ming ($17,686,100).

By simultaneously acquiring cap space with the underpaid Kenny Perk, OKC can now do a Baltche with him. OKC can use their cap space to renegotiate Perkins's current $4,640,208 salary up to as much $6,696,720. From there, they can concurrently offer a new four year extension totalling a a maximum of $33,818,436, or any number below that that they feel happier with.

Add in the extra negotiated salary, and that's over $35 million for four years that OKC can theoretically offer him, as-near-as-is $9 million per. In contrast, Boston could only offer circa $6 million per. It's a significant difference.

If Perkins thinks he can get that much on the open market, he's wrong. He's not even worth that much, especially with his current injury concerns. Yet if OKC anticipates his return to full health, and wants to tie in the defensive centrepiece that they have thus far lacked during the entire Kevin Durant era without running the risk of him hitting the open market, they can do so right now.

But they'll also have to do so right now.

Because there's a problem.

They only have until March 1st to do it.

So they'd better impress him quickly.
Link

Although Ty Lawson looked off Gallo in the end of regulation I was fine with the shot opportunity he had. Felton being in the game the whole OT INFURIATED me. GK treating him like a backup hardbody.

Although Ty Lawson looked off Gallo in the end of regulation I was fine with the shot opportunity he had. Felton being in the game the whole OT INFURIATED me. GK treating him like a backup hardbody.

I was completely fine with what Lawson did at the end of regulation; he makes that lay-up 9/10 times, although it's pretty difficult--I'm positive he short-armed it because the game was on the line.

All good though, he's still growing as a player.

I was completely fine with what Lawson did at the end of regulation; he makes that lay-up 9/10 times, although it's pretty difficult--I'm positive he short-armed it because the game was on the line.

All good though, he's still growing as a player.

I am so pissed
mad.gif
I mean damn DEN gets Gallo and NOW he's similar to Dirk? We BEEN said that shh. ESPN going mad hard sucking off Gallo talking about his talent like he aint have that in NY.

It's *!+@!!$ ridiculous. One of the rare times being a Knicks fans aint as good cuz %%!!@+ stay trying to omit the truth.

Happy for my boy Gallo
pimp.gif

Roy
eek.gif
sick.gif
When I saw him in the game I was like they crazy for having him play but dude put in work with limited min.

Remember, we're delusional
laugh.gif

Dudes saying the same thing we've been saying about those player..

I am so pissed
mad.gif
I mean damn DEN gets Gallo and NOW he's similar to Dirk? We BEEN said that shh. ESPN going mad hard sucking off Gallo talking about his talent like he aint have that in NY.

It's *!+@!!$ ridiculous. One of the rare times being a Knicks fans aint as good cuz %%!!@+ stay trying to omit the truth.

Happy for my boy Gallo
pimp.gif

Roy
eek.gif
sick.gif
When I saw him in the game I was like they crazy for having him play but dude put in work with limited min.

Remember, we're delusional
laugh.gif

Dudes saying the same thing we've been saying about those player..

Back
Top Bottom