Official 2011-2012 Toronto Raptors Season Thread: (20-39) vs. Celtics (34-24) 7pm 4/13

Originally Posted by McRaptor

That crowd
indifferent.gif

THANK YOU!

Considering the "fans" reaction, I dont feel as bad calling this season off.

They went from booing him every poss the first half to cheering at the end. I'll continue to update this thread, but I'm over following this team after this season.

Alot tougher than I thought...

A part of me cant stop cheering for this team. But a part of me cant continue cheering for this team.

And we all know its impossible to stop caring.

Raptors decline offers for Jose Calderon and Leandro Barbosa
By Mark J. Miller | Scoop Du Jour – 4 hours ago

Email

uspresswire
The NBA trade deadline is coming March 15 and the 10-24 Toronto Raptors, who have the fourth-worst record in the league, have already had a "multitude of offers" for point guard Jose Calderon and guard Leandro Barbosa.
However, the team has said no to everything so far, according to the Toronto Sun. The paper also notes that "Raptors president/general manager Bryan Colangelo has said in the past that he is interested in extended Barbosa, who will be unrestricted this season."
If Barbosa does get dealt, though, sources tell the paper that it could be in an "extend-and-trade scenario."
Meanwhile, the Sun reports that even though the Raptors would love to have swingman Wilson Chandler on the roster, it isn't likely that the team will make an offer to the restricted free agent before the Thursday deadline because Toronto doesn't "have the cap space to submit an offer Denver would not match."
Sources tell the paper that "Toronto has balked at Chandler's asking price, but has not completely closed the door if he becomes unrestricted and is willing to accept less money."
Find out before your friends. Follow Scoop du Jour on Twitter or Facebook.

In your guys experiences, am I better off getting baseline seats or sideline in the upper bowl? They seem to be going for the same prices

Holy crap we have a Raptors thread?!?

I just had to escape the madness of that Wilt vs Kobe thread. Flashbacks...of...Chuck...Swirsky...

Originally Posted by trich20

In your guys experiences, am I better off getting baseline seats or sideline in the upper bowl? They seem to be going for the same prices
Both should be fine. That's one thing good about the ACC, there isn't a "bad" seat. The view is great from anywhere, personally I'd do sideline.

Not to throw salt on the wound, but...
[h1][/h1]
[h1]The trade that never was[/h1]
grange_square_36.jpg

Michael Grange | March 9, 2012, 7:44 pm

Twitter @michaelgrange

Captain Canada and Disco Dirk together, in Toronto?

Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki at the Air Canada Centre?

That's three NBA most valuable player awards, if you're counting.

According to former Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment Ltd. executive John Shannon, that was an offer considered by then Toronto Raptors general manager Glen Grunwald.

Shannon - now a hockey insider with Sportsnet - related the story on Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown Friday.

Grunwald said he had a chance to trade Vince Carter and Antonio Davis the Dallas Mavericks for Nash and Nowitzki, but rejected the deal.

Grunwald, now the general manager of the New York Knicks, declined comment.

However, acccording to sources close to MLSE, Grunwald did investigate trading Carter for Nash, but not until late in the 2003-04 season.

At a presentation to the MLSE board, Grunwald recommended trading Carter for Nash and another player, possibly Michael Finley.

The MLSE board rejected the recommendation and Grunwald was fired soon after, paving the way for Rob Babcock who eventually did trade Carter to the New Jersey Nets for Alonzo Mourning, Eric Williams, Aaron Williams and two first-round picks on Dec. 17, 2004.

While the idea of Nash and Nowitzki together in Toronto may be a heartbreaking notion now, in hindsight it would have been a very unlikely trade at the time.

Carter was coming off his second straight all-star season at age 23 and had taken the Raptors to within a missed shot of the Eastern Conference Finals. He was one of the biggest stars in basketball, while Nash had yet to make his first all-star game and neither had Nowitzki.

By 2004 Carter's star had fallen somewhat after missing 70 games to injuries the previous seasons, but by that time Nash and Nowitzki were emerging as elite players and had led Dallas to 169 wins over three years.

Whether Nash could have been had then no one knows.

Bill Duffy, Nash's long-time agent and also the representative for Davis, said that he wasn't aware that the Victoria-born point guard had been offered to the Raptors, but allowed that Nash had been being shopped by the Mavericks at one point.

One possibility?

"The Vancouver Grizzlies could have had Nash for Steve Francis [the No.2 pick in the 1999 draft who refused to play in Vancouver]," Duffy said. "[Then Grizzlies general manager] Stu Jackson turned that down flat. If he makes that deal there would still be a franchise in Vancouver today."

Michael Grange will provide insight and analysis on all the top stories in sports.

Back
Top Bottom