Official 2011 NFL Draft Thead Vol. Lions winning.... Niners losing...

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011.php  (mock updated 1/13)
eek.gif

panthersb_logo.gif
 Carolina Panthers: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia 
Georgia_logo.gif

With Andrew Luck going back to school, this pick is now down to three players: A.J. Green, Da'Quan Bowers and Nick Fairley. Mel Kiper and Sun Tan Man will probably have Bowers up here in their mock updates, but I personally wouldn't touch him. First of all, he fills the lesser of the three needs between wide receiver, defensive tackle and defensive end. And second, Bowers is an athletic freak who posted great numbers this year, but he has some really bad tape and one has to wonder why he didn't produce in his first two years at Clemson. 

Nick Fairley satisfies the greatest need, and I think there's a much greater chance he's the No. 1 pick in the wake of his tremendous Co-National Championship performance (congrats, by the way, to Auburn and TCU for winning it all.) The question is, would Carolina's new regime pay No. 1 overall money to a defensive tackle who is labeled a dirty player? Fairley could actually lead the NFL in personal foul penalties next year. 

Green, in my opinion, is the best available talent. He is the next of the elite receivers in the mold of Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald. Steve Smith is a rapidly declining player, so it's not like the Panthers don't need a wideout. Green is my early favorite to go No. 1 overall, though Fairley has made things a lot more interesting. 

But as Facebook friend Horace S. wrote, the Panthers continue to lose even though the season's over. It's quite apparent that Jimmy Clausen is not the answer. I made a huge mistake when I really underestimated how important it is not to be a loser in college. If you're a winner as a quarterback, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll succeed in the NFL. However, if you can't win, I think it says something about your attitude. And I'm not just referring to wins and losses. Clausen is not a leader; conversely, seems to have this Matt Leinart-esque sense of entitlement. 

Clausen just doesn't seem to have "it." Granted, he had no help from his teammates - malcontent Steve Smith dropped a ton of passes and the offensive line refused to block - but Clausen lost all confidence in himself and his body language was absolutely abysmal. Maybe he can get it together somewhere down the road, but he's not even close to being ready as an NFL starter. 

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011.php  (mock updated 1/13)
eek.gif

panthersb_logo.gif
 Carolina Panthers: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia 
Georgia_logo.gif

With Andrew Luck going back to school, this pick is now down to three players: A.J. Green, Da'Quan Bowers and Nick Fairley. Mel Kiper and Sun Tan Man will probably have Bowers up here in their mock updates, but I personally wouldn't touch him. First of all, he fills the lesser of the three needs between wide receiver, defensive tackle and defensive end. And second, Bowers is an athletic freak who posted great numbers this year, but he has some really bad tape and one has to wonder why he didn't produce in his first two years at Clemson. 

Nick Fairley satisfies the greatest need, and I think there's a much greater chance he's the No. 1 pick in the wake of his tremendous Co-National Championship performance (congrats, by the way, to Auburn and TCU for winning it all.) The question is, would Carolina's new regime pay No. 1 overall money to a defensive tackle who is labeled a dirty player? Fairley could actually lead the NFL in personal foul penalties next year. 

Green, in my opinion, is the best available talent. He is the next of the elite receivers in the mold of Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald. Steve Smith is a rapidly declining player, so it's not like the Panthers don't need a wideout. Green is my early favorite to go No. 1 overall, though Fairley has made things a lot more interesting. 

But as Facebook friend Horace S. wrote, the Panthers continue to lose even though the season's over. It's quite apparent that Jimmy Clausen is not the answer. I made a huge mistake when I really underestimated how important it is not to be a loser in college. If you're a winner as a quarterback, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll succeed in the NFL. However, if you can't win, I think it says something about your attitude. And I'm not just referring to wins and losses. Clausen is not a leader; conversely, seems to have this Matt Leinart-esque sense of entitlement. 

Clausen just doesn't seem to have "it." Granted, he had no help from his teammates - malcontent Steve Smith dropped a ton of passes and the offensive line refused to block - but Clausen lost all confidence in himself and his body language was absolutely abysmal. Maybe he can get it together somewhere down the road, but he's not even close to being ready as an NFL starter. 

^

I'm not surprised, he is my #1 player and they could go BPA (but I doubt AJ will actually go #1)

He has great hight at 6' 4"
Spent a lot of time to improve as a route runner to create separation
Can go get the ball at it's highest point
Great hands, shows the ability to go attack the ball with his hands
Not afraid to go over the middle
Runs the full NFL route tree
Tremendous work ethic
Great athlete
Good speed for his size (but not a burner)

Cons:
Needs to add some muscle, would like to see him get to 220.
Needs to improve as a blocker in the run game.

Best WR prospect since Meagatron IMO.

^

I'm not surprised, he is my #1 player and they could go BPA (but I doubt AJ will actually go #1)

He has great hight at 6' 4"
Spent a lot of time to improve as a route runner to create separation
Can go get the ball at it's highest point
Great hands, shows the ability to go attack the ball with his hands
Not afraid to go over the middle
Runs the full NFL route tree
Tremendous work ethic
Great athlete
Good speed for his size (but not a burner)

Cons:
Needs to add some muscle, would like to see him get to 220.
Needs to improve as a blocker in the run game.

Best WR prospect since Meagatron IMO.

Can someone post the list of all the early entrants? 
nerd.gif
  Much appreciated. 

Co-sign with Deadset, we ready for the Mock now.....

Can someone post the list of all the early entrants? 
nerd.gif
  Much appreciated. 

Co-sign with Deadset, we ready for the Mock now.....

QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri
QB Cameron Newton, Auburn
QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas

RB Ryan Williams, VT
RB Stevan Ridley, LSU
RB Mikel LeShoure, Illinois
RB Shane Vereen, Cal
RB Jacquizz Rodgers, Oregon State
RB Mark Ingram, Alabama
RB John Clay, Wisconsin
RB Darren Evans, VT
RB Jordan Todman, UConn
RB Jamie Harper, Clemson

WR Jonathan Baldwin, Pittsburgh
WR Torrey Smith, Maryland
WR DeAndre Brown, Southern Miss
WR Tori Gurley, South Carolina
WR Julio Jones, Alabama
WR A.J. Green, Georgia
WR Tandon Doss, Indiana

TE Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame

OL Tyron Smith, USC
OL Nick Claytor, Georgia Tech

DT Jurrell Casey, USC
DT Jerrell Powe, Mississippi
DT Corey Liuget, Illinois
DT Nick Fairley, Auburn
DT Marcel Dareus, Alabama
DT Lawrence Guy, ASU
DT Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple

DE Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson
DE Aldon Smith, Missouri
DE Robert Quinn, UNC
DE Zane Parr, Virginia
DE J.J. Watt, Wisconsin

LB Akeem Ayers, UCLA
LB Thomas Keiser, Stanford
LB Martez Wilson, Illinois

CB Patrick Peterson, LSU
CB Janoris Jenkins, Florida (Not sure if he is going back or what)
CB Aaron Williams, Texas
CB Brandon Burton, Utah
CB Brandon Harris, Miami

S Rahim Moore, UCLA
S Tyler Sash, Iowa
S Robert Sands, WVU
S Will Hill, Florida

ATH Randall Cobb, Kentucky

QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri
QB Cameron Newton, Auburn
QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas

RB Ryan Williams, VT
RB Stevan Ridley, LSU
RB Mikel LeShoure, Illinois
RB Shane Vereen, Cal
RB Jacquizz Rodgers, Oregon State
RB Mark Ingram, Alabama
RB John Clay, Wisconsin
RB Darren Evans, VT
RB Jordan Todman, UConn
RB Jamie Harper, Clemson

WR Jonathan Baldwin, Pittsburgh
WR Torrey Smith, Maryland
WR DeAndre Brown, Southern Miss
WR Tori Gurley, South Carolina
WR Julio Jones, Alabama
WR A.J. Green, Georgia
WR Tandon Doss, Indiana

TE Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame

OL Tyron Smith, USC
OL Nick Claytor, Georgia Tech

DT Jurrell Casey, USC
DT Jerrell Powe, Mississippi
DT Corey Liuget, Illinois
DT Nick Fairley, Auburn
DT Marcel Dareus, Alabama
DT Lawrence Guy, ASU
DT Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple

DE Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson
DE Aldon Smith, Missouri
DE Robert Quinn, UNC
DE Zane Parr, Virginia
DE J.J. Watt, Wisconsin

LB Akeem Ayers, UCLA
LB Thomas Keiser, Stanford
LB Martez Wilson, Illinois

CB Patrick Peterson, LSU
CB Janoris Jenkins, Florida (Not sure if he is going back or what)
CB Aaron Williams, Texas
CB Brandon Burton, Utah
CB Brandon Harris, Miami

S Rahim Moore, UCLA
S Tyler Sash, Iowa
S Robert Sands, WVU
S Will Hill, Florida

ATH Randall Cobb, Kentucky

Wow this safety class is weak

please declare Kenny Tate
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Even though Cam is way more inexperienced than Tebow, he's still WAY more polished as a pure passer.  If Denver didn't take Tebow in the 20's, there were rumblings that he wouldn't be selected until the 3rd round.  Do you remember how poorly Tebow fared in the Senior Bowl practices?  Dude was God awful.  

I agree with you on this. Cam's mechanics are better than Mallets to me right now and they both come from BS offenses. Yea Cam isnt coming from under center but I think the knocks on him are from people who dont actually watch him or saw him miss a few throws in the championship game. (They must not have saw Sam Bradford's game against Florida cause he was buns)

Wow this safety class is weak

please declare Kenny Tate
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Even though Cam is way more inexperienced than Tebow, he's still WAY more polished as a pure passer.  If Denver didn't take Tebow in the 20's, there were rumblings that he wouldn't be selected until the 3rd round.  Do you remember how poorly Tebow fared in the Senior Bowl practices?  Dude was God awful.  

I agree with you on this. Cam's mechanics are better than Mallets to me right now and they both come from BS offenses. Yea Cam isnt coming from under center but I think the knocks on him are from people who dont actually watch him or saw him miss a few throws in the championship game. (They must not have saw Sam Bradford's game against Florida cause he was buns)

[table][tr][td]
I think the Tedford factor was huge as far as a reason as to why he dropped so far in the draft...
[/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]
what tedford factor?

[table][tr][td]
I think the Tedford factor was huge as far as a reason as to why he dropped so far in the draft...
what tedford factor?

Bigmike23 wrote:
[table][tr][td]
what tedford factor?

Before Rodgers, Tedford QB's had tended to do very poorly in the NFL.  If I remember correctly, Akili, Joey, Dilfer were all his, I might be wrong on that.  Was just a stigma that got placed on Tedford after a few years. 

Bigmike23 wrote:
[table][tr][td]
what tedford factor?

Before Rodgers, Tedford QB's had tended to do very poorly in the NFL.  If I remember correctly, Akili, Joey, Dilfer were all his, I might be wrong on that.  Was just a stigma that got placed on Tedford after a few years. 

Originally Posted by theone2401

Yea Cam isnt coming from under center but I think the knocks on him are from people who dont actually watch him or saw him miss a few throws in the championship game. (They must not have saw Sam Bradford's game against Florida cause he was buns)

False.

I hate on Cam's mechanics and watched 6 games (Bama, SEC, MNC, LSU, Miss St, Georgia). And rewatched the first 3 games listed.

Yea Cam isnt coming from under center but I think the knocks on him are from people who dont actually watch him or saw him miss a few throws in the championship game. (They must not have saw Sam Bradford's game against Florida cause he was buns)

False.

I hate on Cam's mechanics and watched 6 games (Bama, SEC, MNC, LSU, Miss St, Georgia). And rewatched the first 3 games listed.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Bigmike23 wrote:
[table][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]
what tedford factor?

you're right, CP...

A combination of factors contributed to Rodgers' draft-day slide to Green Bay at No. 24. First of all, no team drafting after the Bucs in the first round had a pressing need for a quarterback. There also were looming questions about Rodgers' inconsistency on the deep ball and even more troubling to many teams was the "Tedford Factor." Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Trent Dilfer, David Carr and Kyle Boller all studied under Jeff Tedford in college and none have been as productive as expected. Rodgers is Tedford's latest pupil.

Link

Originally Posted by CP1708

Bigmike23 wrote:
[table][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]
what tedford factor?

you're right, CP...

A combination of factors contributed to Rodgers' draft-day slide to Green Bay at No. 24. First of all, no team drafting after the Bucs in the first round had a pressing need for a quarterback. There also were looming questions about Rodgers' inconsistency on the deep ball and even more troubling to many teams was the "Tedford Factor." Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Trent Dilfer, David Carr and Kyle Boller all studied under Jeff Tedford in college and none have been as productive as expected. Rodgers is Tedford's latest pupil.

Link

Originally Posted by KingJames23

False.

Do not misunderstand me. His mechanics are not flawless or even Andrew Luck status. I am just saying his mechanics are better than Gabbert and Mallets (IMO) so I dont think its a big issue. Gabbert is raw as I dont know what and Mallet's mechanics issues might not even be fixable because he is so clunky. Cam on the other hands seem to be fixable and they are arguably better than theirs already. And if not his pocket presence is for sure is which I think is most important anyways. I guess what I am saying is all the QB's vying for a pick against Cam, except Locker his are the best of this group, has bad mechanics and Cams are relatively good.

I was watching some Jake Locker today to brush up god their is no excuse in my book why he is bad and that is not good. His arm isnt that great either.

Originally Posted by KingJames23

False.

Do not misunderstand me. His mechanics are not flawless or even Andrew Luck status. I am just saying his mechanics are better than Gabbert and Mallets (IMO) so I dont think its a big issue. Gabbert is raw as I dont know what and Mallet's mechanics issues might not even be fixable because he is so clunky. Cam on the other hands seem to be fixable and they are arguably better than theirs already. And if not his pocket presence is for sure is which I think is most important anyways. I guess what I am saying is all the QB's vying for a pick against Cam, except Locker his are the best of this group, has bad mechanics and Cams are relatively good.

I was watching some Jake Locker today to brush up god their is no excuse in my book why he is bad and that is not good. His arm isnt that great either.

Main reason for Rodgers' fall was that teams didn't need a QB that much after the 49ers at #1, they were still foolish to take Alex Smith, you have no idea how much I wanted them to take Aaron Rodgers. GB was very smart to pick him up. Alex Smith was put in a bad situation, but A-Rod has shown he can produce even with a crappy line. At the end of the day, either you have it or you don't, and Mike Nolan set the 49ers franchise back 5 years with that decision.
30t6p3b.gif

Since Rodgers, Tedford has had QB bums such as Kevin Riley, Brock Mansion, Joe Ayoob
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
, and Nate Longshore (the only "decent" QB of the bunch, it's sad when he's the best one we've had). So QB guru, he is not. Cal does have great RBs however.
pimp.gif

I'm down for a mock, I'll take the 49ers.
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom