Official 2011 NFL Draft Thead Vol. Lions winning.... Niners losing...

There is some Jake Locker-esque issues with Gabbert... When he's good he's really good. But there's times it was clear he didn't have any idea what was going on around him so he just launched a ball down field..

There is some Jake Locker-esque issues with Gabbert... When he's good he's really good. But there's times it was clear he didn't have any idea what was going on around him so he just launched a ball down field..

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

There is some Jake Locker-esque issues with Gabbert... When he's good he's really good. But there's times it was clear he didn't have any idea what was going on around him so he just launched a ball down field.

People say he plays like a young Big Ben and I totally see it 100%. He isnt a system qb though he is talented physically I think his arm is better than Locker's.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

There is some Jake Locker-esque issues with Gabbert... When he's good he's really good. But there's times it was clear he didn't have any idea what was going on around him so he just launched a ball down field.

People say he plays like a young Big Ben and I totally see it 100%. He isnt a system qb though he is talented physically I think his arm is better than Locker's.

i got Houston if we doing this mock
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

trust me guys you dont want pat or prince with your 1st round picks, character issues
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

i got Houston if we doing this mock
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

trust me guys you dont want pat or prince with your 1st round picks, character issues
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

im not a Gabbert fan. He's more of a system QB than Chase Daniel was. How does he only end up with 16 TD passes in that system... how?

He's not a winner either. He looks the part but doesnt play the part

Sounds a lot like Alex Smith.

im not a Gabbert fan. He's more of a system QB than Chase Daniel was. How does he only end up with 16 TD passes in that system... how?

Originally Posted by acidicality

Alex Smith was the QB on the first non AQ team to win a BCS game and went 21-1 as a starter. The guy won games, let's not get it twisted

He just never made the leap mentally to the NFL and the change in coordinators every year certainly didn't help his cause.

Originally Posted by acidicality

Alex Smith was the QB on the first non AQ team to win a BCS game and went 21-1 as a starter. The guy won games, let's not get it twisted

He just never made the leap mentally to the NFL and the change in coordinators every year certainly didn't help his cause.

I just meant to say that he definitely benefited from playing in Urban Meyer's system at Utah. I remember watching that Pitt-Utah game thinking that he really wasn't that good, especially since I had been watching Aaron Rodgers a lot. He isn't a horrible QB, just a horrible, horrible selection as a #1 pick.

I just meant to say that he definitely benefited from playing in Urban Meyer's system at Utah. I remember watching that Pitt-Utah game thinking that he really wasn't that good, especially since I had been watching Aaron Rodgers a lot. He isn't a horrible QB, just a horrible, horrible selection as a #1 pick.

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Draft Dish: Texas A&M QB Johnson must overhaul delivery[/h2]
Russ Lande SN Icon Sporting News

ORLANDO, Fla. — As the rain poured down Monday, the players at the East-West Shrine Game were forced inside, to go through no-pads practices in a hotel ballroom. Some news, notes and observations from the weigh-ins and practices:

• Texas A&M QB Jerrod Johnson looked outstanding during the weigh-in at 6-5 and almost thin for a 250-pound man. In practice, he showed the same elite arm strength that excites NFL coaches but he also showed a long, windup delivery that must be totally reworked to make it in the NFL.

• Mississippi State C J.C. Brignone (6-1, 304) started the day badly when he measured in as shorter than expected and with only 29 3/4-inch arms. It's an issue because NFL linemen with arms shorter than 30 inches usually struggle. In practice, those short arms were an issue because he couldn't jolt or and get a hold of defensive linemen and was beaten consistently. He must perform well the rest of the week in pads to make amends.

•Stanford WR Ryan Whalen (6-1, 204) looked the part on film and during the weigh-in, and he showed good hands making some tough catches up near the wall in the ballroom between two defenders.

• Wisconsin QB Scott Tolzien (6-2, 209) showed a much stronger arm Monday than we had seen on film. He must continue to throw well the next two days to improve his draft stock.

•There are concerns about Oklahoma State MLB Orie Lemon's athleticism, but there is no doubt about his strength after he measured in at a muscular 6-0 1/2 and 244 pounds. His lack of athleticism will hinder his draft stock, but coaches using a 3-4 defensive scheme will like his ability to take on blockers.

• Nevada TE Virgil Green (6-3, 248) is bigger than he appears on game film. He showed a good build, easing concerns about whether he was big enough to be an effective blocker.

• Ohio State LB Brian Rolle (5-9 1/2, 227) was highly productive in college, showing the quickness, athleticism and speed NFL coaches covet in a coverage linebacker. However, fears were confirmed when he measured in so short and his draft stock could really fall despite his on-field production.

• Nevada OLB Dontay Moch (6-1 3/8, 229) is muscular, but he is not a big linebacker and likely will struggle to add much weight to his frame.

• Hawaii RB Alex Green (6-0, 219) measured in nicely but still looks surprisingly thin, raising concerns about his ability to be a durable NFL back.

• Oregon WR Jeffrey Maehl was outstanding in the national championship game, almost helping the Ducks upset Auburn. On film, he is a smooth and fluid athlete with natural hands. On Monday, though, concerns about his long-term durability were heightened when he measured only 6-0 and 181 pounds.

• Queens (Ontario) College OT Matthew O'Donnell definitely grabbed scouts' attention Monday when he measured in at 6-9 and 335 pounds with 35-inch arms. He is an unknown commodity, so he must shine the next two days on the practice field to be anything more than a tall curiosity

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/fee...-johnson-must-overhaul-delivery#ixzz1BR416tyt

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Draft Dish: Texas A&M QB Johnson must overhaul delivery[/h2]
Russ Lande SN Icon Sporting News

ORLANDO, Fla. — As the rain poured down Monday, the players at the East-West Shrine Game were forced inside, to go through no-pads practices in a hotel ballroom. Some news, notes and observations from the weigh-ins and practices:

• Texas A&M QB Jerrod Johnson looked outstanding during the weigh-in at 6-5 and almost thin for a 250-pound man. In practice, he showed the same elite arm strength that excites NFL coaches but he also showed a long, windup delivery that must be totally reworked to make it in the NFL.

• Mississippi State C J.C. Brignone (6-1, 304) started the day badly when he measured in as shorter than expected and with only 29 3/4-inch arms. It's an issue because NFL linemen with arms shorter than 30 inches usually struggle. In practice, those short arms were an issue because he couldn't jolt or and get a hold of defensive linemen and was beaten consistently. He must perform well the rest of the week in pads to make amends.

•Stanford WR Ryan Whalen (6-1, 204) looked the part on film and during the weigh-in, and he showed good hands making some tough catches up near the wall in the ballroom between two defenders.

• Wisconsin QB Scott Tolzien (6-2, 209) showed a much stronger arm Monday than we had seen on film. He must continue to throw well the next two days to improve his draft stock.

•There are concerns about Oklahoma State MLB Orie Lemon's athleticism, but there is no doubt about his strength after he measured in at a muscular 6-0 1/2 and 244 pounds. His lack of athleticism will hinder his draft stock, but coaches using a 3-4 defensive scheme will like his ability to take on blockers.

• Nevada TE Virgil Green (6-3, 248) is bigger than he appears on game film. He showed a good build, easing concerns about whether he was big enough to be an effective blocker.

• Ohio State LB Brian Rolle (5-9 1/2, 227) was highly productive in college, showing the quickness, athleticism and speed NFL coaches covet in a coverage linebacker. However, fears were confirmed when he measured in so short and his draft stock could really fall despite his on-field production.

• Nevada OLB Dontay Moch (6-1 3/8, 229) is muscular, but he is not a big linebacker and likely will struggle to add much weight to his frame.

• Hawaii RB Alex Green (6-0, 219) measured in nicely but still looks surprisingly thin, raising concerns about his ability to be a durable NFL back.

• Oregon WR Jeffrey Maehl was outstanding in the national championship game, almost helping the Ducks upset Auburn. On film, he is a smooth and fluid athlete with natural hands. On Monday, though, concerns about his long-term durability were heightened when he measured only 6-0 and 181 pounds.

• Queens (Ontario) College OT Matthew O'Donnell definitely grabbed scouts' attention Monday when he measured in at 6-9 and 335 pounds with 35-inch arms. He is an unknown commodity, so he must shine the next two days on the practice field to be anything more than a tall curiosity

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/fee...-johnson-must-overhaul-delivery#ixzz1BR416tyt

Originally Posted by Statis22

Gabbert was/is a better passer than Alex Smith.

Exactly. Especially if we are talking about their arms.

Jake Locker = Alex Smith with "intagibles"

Originally Posted by Statis22

Gabbert was/is a better passer than Alex Smith.

Exactly. Especially if we are talking about their arms.

Jake Locker = Alex Smith with "intagibles"

What are people's take on Jerrel Jernigan out of Troy? I've heard some compare him to Percy Harvin. What round is he expected to get drafted in?

What are people's take on Jerrel Jernigan out of Troy? I've heard some compare him to Percy Harvin. What round is he expected to get drafted in?

Kiper posted his 1st round mock....I could only see the top 5 (insider), but he had Fairley going #1, Peterson #2, Dareus #3, Bowers #4, and Gabbert #5

Back
Top Bottom