Official 2011 Wimbledon Thread (vol. start on the last page)

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

Originally Posted by shogun

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Fed always had the low-key arrogance... he let's it out sometime though (see jackets with 15)

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
I haven't really paid attention to it but I do see it sometimes.
I remember a few members kept pointing it out and hated Fed for it.  I never understood it.  
laugh.gif

He has sort of like a polite, gentleman's arrogance.  It's better than someone being obnoxious.
It's not low-key or gentlemanly at all though.
I've been saying this for years, and it's why I dislike him even though I love the way he plays.

He is the least gracious loser in the world. Unlike guys like Rafa who are constantly praising their opponents and are always gracious in victory or defeat, Roger always uses the "I didn't play that well" argument or some other BS.

The message is clear: He didn't win, I lost. I played poorly, if I had played up to my usual standards I would've won.

This happened all the time when he was still #1 yet Rafa murked him head-to-head. There were always little swipes and underhanded comments from Roger after losing. 
Anyway, yeah Joe, I think we've talked about his in the previous slam and the slam before that and the one before that... people praise him for how 'great' he is when he wins, but seem to forget how he acts the few times he loses.  Or maybe some of his fans just don't want to know... or perhaps his 'greatness' justifies it?  Hmmm.
I think Rafa's been the most genuine guy I've seen in a long time in praising their opponents.  

This is also why I was never a fan of Serena.  She often does the same when she loses... "I didn't do this, didn't do that..."... 

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Fed always had the low-key arrogance... he let's it out sometime though (see jackets with 15)

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
I remember a few members kept pointing it out and hated Fed for it.  I never understood it.  
laugh.gif

He has sort of like a polite, gentleman's arrogance.  It's better than someone being obnoxious.
I've been saying this for years, and it's why I dislike him even though I love the way he plays.

He is the least gracious loser in the world. Unlike guys like Rafa who are constantly praising their opponents and are always gracious in victory or defeat, Roger always uses the "I didn't play that well" argument or some other BS.

The message is clear: He didn't win, I lost. I played poorly, if I had played up to my usual standards I would've won.

This happened all the time when he was still #1 yet Rafa murked him head-to-head. There were always little swipes and underhanded comments from Roger after losing. 
Anyway, yeah Joe, I think we've talked about his in the previous slam and the slam before that and the one before that... people praise him for how 'great' he is when he wins, but seem to forget how he acts the few times he loses.  Or maybe some of his fans just don't want to know... or perhaps his 'greatness' justifies it?  Hmmm.
I think Rafa's been the most genuine guy I've seen in a long time in praising their opponents.  

This is also why I was never a fan of Serena.  She often does the same when she loses... "I didn't do this, didn't do that..."... 

Originally Posted by SinnerP

laugh.gif

When was she ever lying though?  In fact, find me a top player on either tour that doesn't say the exact same thing when they lose.  Rafa is a guilty as the next guy, look at his 09 interview after soderling beat him at the French Open and he said what every top player says. 

Q. It was a great four‑year winning period. All things had to end, and it happened today, your series of wins. Did you expect such power tennis fromSoderling before the game? Were yousurprised during the match of the way he hit his ball consistently so hard,especially on the forehand, but also in general?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. No, no. He didn’t surprise me,because I know how he play, how dangerous he can be. Yesterday I didn’t play my best tennis. No, I didn’t attack in no one moment. I play very short, and I make him very easyto play at this level.

So when one player bad,must lose. That’s what happenedtoday. I have to accept with the samecalm when I win than when I lose. Afterfour years I lose here, and the season continue.

Q. Were you surprised that he was able to sustain the level of play that hedid throughout the match? Did you expecthim, at some stage, to perhaps have a little dip, which he never really did?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, you know, when, for ‑‑ I playedvery short, you know. I play veryshort. I didn’t play great. I didn’t play with calm at no one time duringall the match.

That makes him easy toplay at this level during all the match, no? So was my fault, and more than ‑‑ well, sure, he did well. He did very well, but I didn’t ‑‑ yeah,I think I didn’t play my best tennis. And I didn’t play not my best tennis, no? I didn’t play my tennis, and for that reasonI lose. That’s it.

laugh.gif

When was she ever lying though?  In fact, find me a top player on either tour that doesn't say the exact same thing when they lose.  Rafa is a guilty as the next guy, look at his 09 interview after soderling beat him at the French Open and he said what every top player says. 

Q. It was a great four‑year winning period. All things had to end, and it happened today, your series of wins. Did you expect such power tennis fromSoderling before the game? Were yousurprised during the match of the way he hit his ball consistently so hard,especially on the forehand, but also in general?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. No, no. He didn’t surprise me,because I know how he play, how dangerous he can be. Yesterday I didn’t play my best tennis. No, I didn’t attack in no one moment. I play very short, and I make him very easyto play at this level.

So when one player bad,must lose. That’s what happenedtoday. I have to accept with the samecalm when I win than when I lose. Afterfour years I lose here, and the season continue.

Q. Were you surprised that he was able to sustain the level of play that hedid throughout the match? Did you expecthim, at some stage, to perhaps have a little dip, which he never really did?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, you know, when, for ‑‑ I playedvery short, you know. I play veryshort. I didn’t play great. I didn’t play with calm at no one time duringall the match.

That makes him easy toplay at this level during all the match, no? So was my fault, and more than ‑‑ well, sure, he did well. He did very well, but I didn’t ‑‑ yeah,I think I didn’t play my best tennis. And I didn’t play not my best tennis, no? I didn’t play my tennis, and for that reasonI lose. That’s it.

Congrats to Li Na on her first major.  I thought she was going to completely collapse in that 2nd set.
Victory for us Asians.  
smokin.gif

Congrats to Li Na on her first major.  I thought she was going to completely collapse in that 2nd set.
Victory for us Asians.  
smokin.gif

Debating whether or not to bet on the match or just leave it alone. Would get around 2 to 1 if I bet on Fed...what you guys think?

Either way can't wait to watch the 2 best go at it 1 more time...

Debating whether or not to bet on the match or just leave it alone. Would get around 2 to 1 if I bet on Fed...what you guys think?

Fed is such a sore loser. That 09 Australian Open Final where he cried like a B was brutal.

Fed is such a sore loser. That 09 Australian Open Final where he cried like a B was brutal.

Originally Posted by srvballer

As well as Fed has been playing, I would not put money on him taking it tomorrow.

Originally Posted by srvballer

As well as Fed has been playing, I would not put money on him taking it tomorrow.

aepps ~ I didn't say anyone was lying... 
But hey, Rafa isn't perfect and, yes, a lot of players will say how they shoulda done this or how they didn't do that... to a certain extent of course.  
In my opinion, it's quite different from what Serena said after losing to Justine in the 2007 US Open QF...
Sorry, I couldn't find the exact presser, just quotes from the articles...

"I just think she made a lot of lucky shots and I made a lot of errors, I really don't feel like talking about it.  It's, like, I don't want to get fined. That's the only reason I came (to the press conference). I can't afford to pay the fines because I keep losing.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_wertheim/09/06/baguette/

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/us-rips-into-snarly-serena/story-e6frfgao-1111114354843

and at the 2009 French Open when she lost to Kuznetsova...

"Well, um, I mean, I just deal with losses a little bit better nowadays. Honestly I think I lost because of me and not because of anything she did. You know, I don't think that makes it easier, but it makes me realize that, you know, had I done different things I would have been able to win."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/french09/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=4227105

But hey, Rafa isn't perfect and, yes, a lot of players will say how they shoulda done this or how they didn't do that... to a certain extent of course.  
In my opinion, it's quite different from what Serena said after losing to Justine in the 2007 US Open QF...

"I just think she made a lot of lucky shots and I made a lot of errors, I really don't feel like talking about it.  It's, like, I don't want to get fined. That's the only reason I came (to the press conference). I can't afford to pay the fines because I keep losing.''

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/us-rips-into-snarly-serena/story-e6frfgao-1111114354843

"Well, um, I mean, I just deal with losses a little bit better nowadays. Honestly I think I lost because of me and not because of anything she did. You know, I don't think that makes it easier, but it makes me realize that, you know, had I done different things I would have been able to win."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/french09/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=4227105

Serena doesn't often do it, every time she loses she does it
laugh.gif
never gives credit and is never gracious in defeat, only when she loses to Venus.

Serena doesn't often do it, every time she loses she does it
laugh.gif
never gives credit and is never gracious in defeat, only when she loses to Venus.

Are we taking about the same Henin who's cheating antics cost Serena the French Open.  Her and Henin hate each other so that is that.  As far as that Kuznetsova interview what about the part in that same interview when she said and I quote, "she played well overall, she obviously played well enough to come away with a win."  Don't get me wrong, Serena is as arrogant as they come but every tennis player does the same thing.  As far as what I mean by the "when was she lying" quote was that she was actually telling the truth for the most part.

Are we taking about the same Henin who's cheating antics cost Serena the French Open.  Her and Henin hate each other so that is that.  As far as that Kuznetsova interview what about the part in that same interview when she said and I quote, "she played well overall, she obviously played well enough to come away with a win."  Don't get me wrong, Serena is as arrogant as they come but every tennis player does the same thing.  As far as what I mean by the "when was she lying" quote was that she was actually telling the truth for the most part.

Originally Posted by tSamShoX

Wow, I feel the exact opposite way about that moment...

Originally Posted by tSamShoX

Wow, I feel the exact opposite way about that moment...

Back
Top Bottom