Official 2012 Boxing Thread: JMM/Manny IV - FOTY.

And you saw Canelo walk off after the fight... Trout ain't tired, he's not a punching bag, he's a young rugged fighter and he's damn good. told yall in last years boxing thread Canelo wants no part of Trout. Canelo is still gonna fight Cotto next...
:lol:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We all saw that coming. Trout is not a superstar all of a sudden just for beating Cotto. He's going to be the Tim Bradley of 154.

Solid performance from Trout though I do think if anything this proves that Cotto really has no business at 154 despite being ranked so high. Trout is a good fighter but I certainly don't see him as a elite as what you'd expect from someone to beat Cotto so convincingly.

The division is a mess looking at the ring ratings - Mayweather at the top for beating Cotto who really hadn't beaten anyone at 154, Cotto ranked 2nd, and Canelo ranked 3rd when I'm not sure he's even beaten a top 10 opponent...maybe Rhodes was around 10 but he's terrible.

I guess Cotto is now a perfect opponent for Alvarez - undersized, a name, and coming off of a poor performance.

congrats to trout good victory , good fights to be made if he's willing to take them.

cotto should consider hanging them up if he loses to canelo

yall think canelo gonna actually fight sturdy competition now?
I think it will be a couple hyears before we see him face more than C+ fighters

I'm not sure who's he will fight in the meantime that will keep him in the limelight. I'm not sure who wins a Canelo/Trout fight. I thought Cotto was going to dictate the fight, but it was Trout that did it. Add to the fact that Canelo's defense is still terrible (like Cotto's). Add to the fact that Canelo is powerful (like Cotto). Canelo will be good, but I want to see him fight Trout to see how he can do against great competition.

I agree with MH, I had the fight 9-3 for Trout. Paulie M. is a goddamn idiot for saying that the 11-1 round shouldn't be judging, because those two rounds I gave to Cotto were close. There was only one round I thought Cotto won definitively. The first 4-5 rounds were all relatively close, but I felt that Trout was the much busier fighter, and while Cotto may have seemed to hit the better shots, his shots were glancing, while Trout's were flush.

Other than Floyd, I don't think there's a 154 lber that Trout can't stay in there against. Trout showed that he is a smart boxer. He could've made this an inside scrappy fight all night, and that might've lost him the fight. Instead, he outboxed Cotto all night. Those last 8 rounds or so, Trout pitched a shut-out, with an occasional good hook from Cotto. I was very impressed by Trout. Not the most powerful guy, but a very smart boxer. Great to see.

Velez was a little sketchy jumping on the ropes after each knockdown, pretty immature. :lol: I love that damn skeleton thing though that comes out with Mexican boxers. Anyone have any more info on that?

Also, what is the job description of Sam Watson's sons? Being on TV? :lol:

yall think canelo gonna actually fight sturdy competition now?
I think it will be a couple hyears before we see him face more than C+ fighters

I'm not sure who's he will fight in the meantime that will keep him in the limelight. I'm not sure who wins a Canelo/Trout fight. I thought Cotto was going to dictate the fight, but it was Trout that did it. Add to the fact that Canelo's defense is still terrible (like Cotto's). Add to the fact that Canelo is powerful (like Cotto). Canelo will be good, but I want to see him fight Trout to see how he can do against great competition.

I agree with MH, I had the fight 9-3 for Trout. Paulie M. is a goddamn idiot for saying that the 11-1 round shouldn't be judging, because those two rounds I gave to Cotto were close. There was only one round I thought Cotto won definitively. The first 4-5 rounds were all relatively close, but I felt that Trout was the much busier fighter, and while Cotto may have seemed to hit the better shots, his shots were glancing, while Trout's were flush.

Other than Floyd, I don't think there's a 154 lber that Trout can't stay in there against. Trout showed that he is a smart boxer. He could've made this an inside scrappy fight all night, and that might've lost him the fight. Instead, he outboxed Cotto all night. Those last 8 rounds or so, Trout pitched a shut-out, with an occasional good hook from Cotto. I was very impressed by Trout. Not the most powerful guy, but a very smart boxer. Great to see.

Velez was a little sketchy jumping on the ropes after each knockdown, pretty immature. :lol: I love that damn skeleton thing though that comes out with Mexican boxers. Anyone have any more info on that?

Also, what is the job description of Sam Watson's sons? Being on TV? :lol:

Well one of them was an MLB player. But other than that I think this is their job.

Well one of them was an MLB player. But other than that I think this is their job.

Really? Which one? :nerd:

Brandon Watson

Wasn't anything spectacular, just a jobber who played for a couple years and went in and out of the minors. But hey at least he can do something besides stand in the middle of the ring. :lol:

Brandon Watson

Wasn't anything spectacular, just a jobber who played for a couple years and went in and out of the minors. But hey at least he can do something besides stand in the middle of the ring. :lol:

At least you can say more about him than his brother! I thought both were just dudes leeching off their father, who's a leech himself. :lol: .

Either way, good for them. I admire that they at least probably appreciate the life they have, and how nice it is. Dudes always got a smile on their face.

They may seem corny, but hell, if I were them I'd be corny too.

Brandon Watson

At least you can say more about him than his brother! I thought both were just dudes leeching off their father, who's a leech himself. :lol: .

Either way, good for them. I admire that they at least probably appreciate the life they have, and how nice it is. Dudes always got a smile on their face.

They may seem corny, but hell, if I were them I'd be corny too.

His Dad gives off a vibe that he's only there to enjoy the good times, but will disappear as soon as it's all gone. Or maybe I'm just subconsciously being a hater. :smh:
But I really don't have any animosity towards them no matter how annoying they are.

No.
No.
Do you watch boxing or just skim through it?
naw i dont watch it at all
grin.gif

i love cotto, but be real canelo would hit him with everything and u think cotto can handle that at this point of his career?i sure as hell dont think so.

cotto has always struggle when he couldnt man handle the other fighter inside or in the corner. and thats what happened tonight VS trout. hell cotto was able to back up mayweather and push him around but floyd is just great at fight inside and with his back to the ropes that it didnt work.

naw i dont watch it at all>D

i love cotto, but be real canelo would hit him with everything and u think cotto can handle that at this point of his career?i sure as hell dont think so.

cotto has always struggle when he couldnt man handle the other fighter inside or in the corner. and thats what happened tonight VS trout. hell cotto was able to back up mayweather and push him around but floyd is just great at fight inside and with his back to the ropes that it didnt work.

The one thing that I think Cotto would has in his bag that he could use against Canelo is his strength. He's a strong puncher. Canelo isn't nearly as crafty as Trout is, and Canelo will throw bombs back at a fighter if that's how that fighter wants to push the fight. With most of Canelo's fights, he's always been the strongest and biggest fighter by far. Although Canelo is bigger and Cotto isn't what he was 4 years ago, Canelo has shown that he will leave himself open for big shots. None of the guys have been real strong that he's fought against. If it's a slugfest, and Canelo can't find Cotto (unlikely), Cotto could get some great shots in.

At this stage of his career, I don't think Cotto is a favorite by any means, but he has more than a puncher's chance.

naw i dont watch it at all>D

Ohh ok I c
We actually agree, we just have different definitions of "eating Canelos punches"
To me that means Canelo hits him with everything but the kitchen sink and Cotto remains unfazed. Not happening at this point in Cottos career...probably wouldn't happen in Cottos prime either.

Canelo's next victim? Let's see Canelo with a top 10 dude before we start counting Trout out.

I think they are referring to being Canelos next curse victim. Anytime a respectable opponent is set to face Canelos something bizarre happens.

Punisher
Kirkland
Ortiz
Winner of Lara vs Vanes

I wouldnt mind seeing something like Canelo v. Kirkland, just to get both of them back in the ring.

Good for Trout, thought for sure he was going to sleep after watching the 1st couple of rounds but Cotto's head/face has turned into a catcher's mitt.

Not sure where MAC goes from here

Ah, I get you now :lol: you might be right.

I wanna see the Kirkland/Angulo rematch first :lol:

IMO, Cotto doesn't seem like the guy who would become a gatekeeper at 154 I could see him doing one more fight at the Garden next year and then another in PR to close out his career.

Ah, I get you now :lol: you might be right.
I wanna see the Kirkland/Angulo rematch first :lol:
IMO, Cotto doesn't seem like the guy who would become a gatekeeper at 154 I could see him doing one more fight at the Garden next year and then another in PR to close out his career.

Completely agree with this one. Is it me or is it kind of weird seeing this top notch fighters tapering off in their career? I mean, of course it's bound to happen. Now I know how my father felt watching Ali's career drop off.

Last edited:
Completely agree with this one. Is it me or is it kind of weird seeing this top notch fighters tapering off in their career? I mean, of course it's bound to happen. Now I know how my father felt watching Ali's career drop off.

Some fighters age gracefully, some don't.

Bernard is unbelievable, as are the Klitschko brothers. Cotto, Hatton, and guys like Evander? Ehh.

Back
Top Bottom