Official 2012 NBA Draft Thread

MGK's floor is a taller Tony Allen.

His ceiling is an athletic Ron Artest (without the strength).

That's it, I'm convinced....I think the Cavs are going to take Barnes over MKG if they're both available.
I'm watching all these old Kyrie and Barnes youtube video's of them goofing around, definitely see the Cavs attracted to their relationship.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Barnes has a shooting stroke and scoring instincts (includes midrange game,3 point shot). 

He can't get to the basket, if you can't get to the basket you don't have scoring instincts. Austin Rivers has scoring instincts, Dion Waiter has scoring instincts Harrison Barnes just takes a lot of shots.
At this point it seems like you just hate the guy
laugh.gif
. Certain teams need a go2 option (Cavs, Bobcats, Kings) RIGHT NOW alot more than they need someone who will bring them all the intangibles needed to win a championship.

IMO Barnes will have a better NBA Career than college career, and for a fact a better career than Austin Rivers and Dion.

Cavs trying to please their franchise player over the long term health of the franchise.

Where have I seen this before?

Originally Posted by PMatic

Cavs trying to please their franchise player over the long term health of the franchise.

Where have I seen this before?

You're stating this like every other franchise in the NBA doesn't though.

Irving is your go to option. Barnes is your 2nd option. I'll much rather him be my 2nd option than MKG.
And where are you getting "Barnes doesn't have good scoring instincts" from? His footwork is great and always seem to find space between him and the defender to get off his shot. He's doing this WITHOUT  great ball handling. Not to mention, he's good at ball fakes and above average at getting to the line. 

Barnes can attack the basket well despite what most people perceive. The way UNC's offense is set up they wanted Marshall facilitating the ball to guys on the court and pushing the pace when they could. They didn't wanna just give Barnes the ball and let him go iso like other schools probably would have let him do all game. He's also not too shabby of a defender himself. Out of this whole draft I like AD, Beal, Barnes, Henson, T-Rob, Lillard, Quincy Miller, Harkless, Sullinger, Royce White and Evan Fournier as my first rounders with the greatest chance of NBA success. I also really like Teague, Cunningham, Draymond Green, Jefferey Taylor, John Jenkins, Doron Lamb, Darius Miller, Quincy Acy and Scott Machado as nice off the bench/role player types in the league.

Im just gonna throw my example out there that I can see MKG falling somewhere in between a (high character) Latrell Sprewell and Ron Artest at his best once he gets his jumper down a little bit more. He doesnt have to be an elite shooter but I think he can get somewhere near Artest/Spree level eventually, probably not as good as Spree, but lets remember hes only 19. With his work ethic it wouldnt shock me to see him developing a very good well rounded offensive game like Spree and Artest had (although hes not as strong as Ron), but like the Spree and Artest defense will still always be his forte. His size/strength also kind of falls in between the 2.

However I may be in the minority but I think that at his ceiling Barnes really can potentially be a #1 option or a very good #2. Lets not forget that he would have been #1 last year, probably even over Kyrie who also had his concerns coming into the draft and look how well he turned out this season. I expect Barnes' game to have a much smoother transition into the NBA than it did in college.

I still take MKG over Barnes because he is a better attacker/defender/rebounder but I do like both players alot and I have all season. In fact I even liked Barnes more as an NBA prospect until I MKG absolutely won me over during the NCAA tourny. Say all that you want about Anthony Davis, but Callipari has had that kind of talent on his teams before, it was MKG's attitude/leadership all season long (and yes his skill as well) that allowed him to accomplish what Derrick Rose, John Wall, Demarcus Cousins, etc. all could not accomplish with Cal and thats gotta say something about this guy, hes a special player. I would still definitley take both MKG and Barnes over Beal in a second.

Even if I were to use my Knicks as an example who need a 2 guard and not a 3. I would draft MKG and play him at the 2 next to Melo if the Knicks had the choice of the 3 players, and Barnes would be my backup option. But than again the Knicks are not like the Cavs/Wizards right now where we would need another scorer, and we do not have a top 5 draft pick, so i guess that is not the best example to use just felt like using them because they are my team and we are also looking for a 2 guard.
laugh.gif

^Great value trade for the Twolves, regardless of whether or not you like Martin IMO

Damn, #18? The Mavericks would give #17 for Kevin Martin in a heart-beat. That's a huge step backwards if I'm the Rockets IMO.

Um. MKG is not one damn bit like Sprewell. And Artest is strong as an ox and could play in the post and knock down threes. If I need a glue guy like MKG is gonna be in the NBA I'm just waiting til the middle of the first round and grabbing Harkless. I'm not picking a player top 4 for his intangibles.

Do the T'Wolves have enough cap space to accept Martin's salary without sending another player to the Rockets?

Kahn may have to send Darko to make it work. 
laugh.gif

Darko and Dwight back together again.

tony-battie-darko-milicic-dwight-howard_422_57767.jpg

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by PMatic

Do the T'Wolves have enough cap space to accept Martin's salary without sending another player to the Rockets?
Depends on what the salary cap is next year. They would be @ 68 million if they add him.

Maybe throw in Beasley if Houston is interested, I can see that working out. Low-risk, high reward.

I can't see who else they would send back, because the cap would be about 60 million. Without doing too much of the heavy math, you want to send back about 6-8 million. I mean I guess they could send back Martell, and maybe even Darko if they want him, but JJ, Derrick, Pekovic, Ridnour, and Rubio I can't see being moved. Wes maybe, but I don't think he is that big of a target of the Rockets.

Tolliver, Wes, and Beas would be the guys I'd think they'd consider moving.

Yeah didn't mean to say it'd go up to 68 million, but I've always been under the assumption it'd jump upto about 60 million next season. After Jeremy Lin and a Heat victory?

From what I can gather from ShamSports, it seems like the Timberwolves cannot just absorb Kevin Martin's contract. However, the Timberwolves do have some moveable pieces in that Martell Webster and Brad Miller's contracts for next season are team options. So a trade centering on Martin for Webster, Miller and the 18th pick does work. Then the Rockets could choose to make Webster and Miller free agents, freeing them of cap space before free agency in a week.

Back
Top Bottom