Official 2012 NBA Draft Thread

Originally Posted by Brandon3000

Lamb to Cavs among best draft fits

ncb_split1x_576.jpg

Robinson, Lamb and Sullinger would be wise draft choices for certain lottery teams.

This year's NBA draft is not full of future stars like the 2003 draft that produced LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony and Chris Bosh. It's not even going to end up like the 2008 draft that produced Derrick Rose, Kevin Love and Eric Gordon.

Few drafts have that much firepower. This is more typically a draft that will require sifting through a couple of years' worth of accumulated information on prospects. That means savvy evaluating for the combination of talent and fit will yield quality NBA players for some, but not all, teams.

Now that the 2012 NBA draft selection order is set, here are five great fits for teams in the lottery:

No. 4: Cleveland Cavaliers
Jeremy Lamb, Connecticut Huskies
Put Lamb in the backcourt with defending rookie of the year Kyrie Irving and the Cavaliers have solved a major problem for the next decade. Lamb's positional size, scoring ability and high ceiling make him a great fit for a rebuilding franchise.

While Lamb, who is younger than Irving, can certainly improve his strength, the notion that he is a soft player is foolish.

He showed his toughness in the NCAA tournament his freshman season. Despite Kemba Walker's brilliance all season, there would have been no NCAA title for the Huskies in 2011 without Lamb's heroics. His clutch shooting bailed the Huskies out even when Walker went ice cold in games against Arizona and Butler.

This season, on a chaotic Huskies team, Lamb averaged 17 points per game. And while he struggled at times with his consistency from 3-point range, he shot a blistering 60 percent inside the arc. He learned to make plays for himself off the dribble this season and his movement without the ball has always been Ray Allen-like.

Right now, Florida's Bradley Beal is the direction in which the herd is being pulled, and he is certainly a lottery pick. But if it were up to me, I'd take Lamb. In a draft full of questions, outside of Davis, the Cavs' decision about who they should partner Irving with could have an impact on the team for a decade. I think Lamb will be a star.

No. 2: Charlotte Bobcats
Thomas Robinson, Kansas Jayhawks
Don't overthink this pick, Bobcats. You need ready-to-go NBA players right now -- and a lot of them. Robinson will step into your lineup at the power forward position and contribute double-doubles right away.

Last July, I watched Robinson dominate the counselor workouts at the LeBron James Skills Academy in Akron, Ohio. And yes, Anthony Davis, Jared Sullinger, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and the Plumlees were all there competing as well. After biding his time behind the Morris twins at KU, this camp was Robinson's coming-out party.

Then, in what would be a dominating junior season, Robinson basically put the Jayhawks on his back in leading them to the national championship game. Here's how.

While Robinson is closer to 6-foot-9 than 6-10, he has the requisite NBA athleticism, low-post skills and high-energy motor that will endear him to any franchise in the lottery. And it's clear that rebounding tends to translate from college to the NBA. His 31 percent defensive rebounding rate was the best in college basketball. He physically dominated the country for most of the season.

Robinson's toughness and level of competence as a player is a great starting point for the Bobcats, who are obviously disappointed they won't land Davis. They have to start somewhere, and a guy who will get them points and rebounds immediately is a good place.

No. 3: Washington Wizards
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Kentucky Wildcats
In another draft, Gilchrist's overall skill package would relegate him to a lower slot in the lottery. Even as a rookie, he may struggle to score and even consistently knock down outside shots. But the one thing he would be able to hang his hat on in any draft is his competitiveness. And nowhere is that needed more than in Washington.

Gilchrist was the de facto leader of this year's young Kentucky national championship team, setting the tone with his energy, toughness and athleticism. He ran the floor relentlessly and attacked the rim with abandon. He'll rebound his position as well as anyone. And hopefully the way he's conditioned himself to play will rub off on a Wizards team that went 20-46 this season.

If Gilchrist can polish up his offensive game -- he shot 26 percent from beyond the college arc -- he'll start from Day 1 and compete for the NBA Rookie of the Year award. This is a great fit because he will play a prominent role immediately on a team that has to learn how to win.

No. 8: Toronto Raptors
Jared Sullinger, Ohio State Buckeyes
The Raptors could certainly use help at a number of spots, but I like them rebuilding their team with a front line that includes high-character Ohio State star Sullinger and 2011 first-round selection Jonas Valanciunas, the 6-11 Lithuanian 20-year-old who spent the past season playing in Europe.

Sullinger may not have the elite athleticism you'd want out of an NBA power forward, but he has always thrived on his toughness around the basket, his outstanding fundamentals and great basketball acumen. He drew an average of 6.1 fouls per 40 minutes this season and shoots a shade under 70 percent from the foul line. In a league full of undersized forwards, he'll get opponents in foul trouble.

Valanciunas, who dominated the Under-19 world championships last summer and who played well this season in EuroCup play, has some toughness of his own. His length and defensive potential at center will complement Sullinger's scoring and rebounding potential as well.

The two 20-year olds won't make the Raptors a playoff team, but it is a good start.

No. 10: New Orleans Hornets
Perry Jones, Baylor Bears
Davis, Gordon and -- most importantly -- Hornets coach Monty Williams will make a good marriage for Baylor's Perry Jones. First of all, the franchise has already hit the lottery (pun intended) with the chance to pick Davis at No. 1, so there's room here for the risk/reward of the equally prodigious talent, Jones.

Under the right circumstances, Jones could have been a top-three pick last year but elected to return to Baylor for his sophomore season. However, his long bouts of inconsistent play this season raise a lot of questions on the part of NBA decision-makers.

Here's what I know. At 6-11 and 240 pounds, Jones has a nearly perfect NBA power forward's frame and the requisite athleticism to be an All-Star. And few at his size can handle the ball like he does. In addition, he is a high-character kid who will work as hard at his game as Williams pushes him.

If Jones is missing anything, it is the "nasty" (as Gregg Popovich would put it) and toughness needed to compete night in and night out against guys like Kevin Garnett and Bosh. And he'll need it, because I don't believe he has the skills to float on the perimeter as a small forward, although he's being marketed that way.

Williams is one of the bright young coaches in the NBA and Jones has a lot to learn about the game, but he will be a willing learner. If Williams can get the 20-year-old to begin to play to his potential, the Hornets' rebuilding process will be sped up considerably. It's a gamble that I would take.

Can we get a link to this article or if its some insider stuff, the analysis on the Kings pick?

Glad to see Lamb stock getting back to where it should be, that crazy year at UConn shouldnt of hurt him as much as it did

I want to KD lite succeed.
pimp.gif

Two 6'11 guys on the floor at the same time would be an amazing combination for the Hornets
I think that's a terrible combination. No team can succeed with two unreliable post scorers starting. Not that I don't think Davis will eventually be that, but you're not going to see whoever their point guard is next season confidently force-feeding him in the paint.

I'd say there's probably an 80% chance that Okafor gets traded/amnestied.

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

Two 6'11 guys on the floor at the same time would be an amazing combination for the Hornets
I think that's a terrible combination. No team can succeed with two unreliable post scorers starting. Not that I don't think Davis will eventually be that, but you're not going to see whoever their point guard is next season confidently force-feeding him in the paint.

well yeah, but I was referring to Perry Jones, not Okafor (who sucks offensively).  Perry Jones is pretty efficient offensively when his head is in the game

DoubleJs, I agree that BG would be a nice fit with Wall but why give up on Crawford when he's younger and possibly has a higher ceiling/more potential and is possibly more versatile?

Originally Posted by cleansneaksonly21

Glad to see Lamb stock getting back to where it should be, that crazy year at UConn shouldnt of hurt him as much as it did

I want to KD lite succeed.
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
I really want this kid and Drummond (if any center not named Unibrow in this draft) on the Blazers. Hope Lamb's stock stays lower than it should...

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

DoubleJs, I agree that BG would be a nice fit with Wall but why give up on Crawford when he's younger and possibly has a higher ceiling/more potential and is possibly more versatile?

Crawford would be better served to watch film of Jason Terry and come off the bench. Not giving up on him at all, but i'd want him out of the starting lineup.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Crawford would be better served to watch film of Jason Terry and come off the bench. Not giving up on him at all, but i'd want him out of the starting lineup.

Funny that you say that, because thats also when BG has been most effective

Originally Posted by solarius49

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Funny that you say that, because thats also when BG has been most effective

I think BG (as a stop-gap) as a starter alongside of Wall > Crawford as a starter alongside of Wall.

First thing I thought of when I heard Hornets got number one.

Was like, well, they're taking Davis, so wonder what they'll get for Okafor.

SOMEONE will take him.

well yeah, but I was referring to Perry Jones, not Okafor (who sucks offensively). Perry Jones is pretty efficient offensively when his head is in the game
My bad. I got lost somewhere.

Anyway, I kind of agree with that line of thinking. I'm not sure that them deciding between Lillard and Marshall at 10 is the end all, be all like most seem to think. I don't think Vasquez is the point guard of the future, but they have Jack for next year and him for at least two more, so maybe they feel alright there for now and take another big to pair with Davis. Sullinger would especially be a nice fit (I'm not a fan, but I guess I can see his worth), and maybe both Joneses.

They have interesting decisions to make in the paint even without that possibility in mind. What to do with Okafor, whether or not to re-sign Kaman and Landry, and where exactly Davis fits, position-wise... Hell, maybe they do away with Okafor, Kaman and Landry and have Smith start alongside Davis. I don't know. A ton of different angles.

Not to mention locking up Gordon long-term... which may very well not happen.

What is the market for Gordon at this point? He's heavily injured, and not even a lock to be an all-star caliber player. He has the potential, but hasn't shown us consistently that he's worth a 10 million dollar annual contract.

I think anything about 7-8 for the guy is a risky investment, because you aren't going to sign him to a short deal, you're going to sign him long-term. He's looking for financial security, and he'll get it from SOMEWHERE if it isn't from New Orleans. I'm sure securing that #1 pick didn't hurt his chances of staying, but if another team throws him a 50 million dollar contract, he's taking that and running.

Is it exactly farfetched to think he'll get Monta Ellis money?

Im sure dude will get close to max if not full max
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

American pro sports is all about overpaying players
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Max contract for Gordon? No way. Based off what?

Maybe I'm just biased but he doesn't deserve a nickel more than what Monta Ellis makes. Monta has shown he can create at least somewhat for his teammates, while Gordon is basically just a pretty efficient scorer. He missed a fourth of the games in 2010, about a third of the games in 2011, and most of the games in 2012.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Max contract for Gordon? No way. Based off what?

Maybe I'm just biased but he doesn't deserve a nickel more than what Monta Ellis makes. Monta has shown he can create at least somewhat for his teammates, while Gordon is basically just a pretty efficient scorer. He missed a fourth of the games in 2010, about a third of the games in 2011, and most of the games in 2012.

And I 100% agree but I'm just saying in the current state of the NBA I wouldn't be surprised if he got max

Originally Posted by PMatic

Gordon is getting at least $60 million from someone this summer.
Maximum number of years under new CBA for signing with a new team is three or four?

I just see a team with a lot of cap-space that would sign a guy like him would be a gigantic mistake, like New Jersey for example. He needs to go to a team that is established to an extent where he'd fill an immediate and singular need.

If the Grizzlies mess up in this draft, I don't think I can take anymore. 
laugh.gif

If Royce White is there at 25, you take him. As much as we need a guy that can make plays for other players outside of Marc Gasol, he would be perfect. If anyone were to take a chance on a guy with his history, it'll be us. 

Somewhere I was reading an article on how goddamn efficient the Spurs are at drafting...

Going back to 1999, picked Ginobili with the third to last pick. In 2001, drafted Tony Parker 28th overall. 2002 picked John Salmons 26th overall and Luis Scola with the fourth to last pick. 2003 picked Barbosa 28th overall. 2004 picked Beno Udrih 28th overall. 2007 picked Tiago with the 28th pick. George Hill with the 26th overall pick, Goran Dragic with the 45th overall pick in 2008. DeJuan Blair in 2009 with the 37th overall pick. 2010 Picked James Anderson 20th overall.

Meanwhile the Mavericks draft success since 1999 has been Wang Zhi-Zhi, Etan Thomas, Josh Howard, Mo Ager, Nick Fazekas, Shan Foster, Rodrigue Beaubois, and Jordan Hamilton.
laugh.gif

Only one of those dudes was a regular rotation player, with only one other making the slightest of impacts on the damn team.
laugh.gif

Tony Parker, Manu Ginbili, Luis Scola, Barbosa, Beno Udrih, Splitter, George Hill, Dragic, Blair, James Anderson. All those dudes basically picks 25 or later....

30t6p3b.gif

brad beal is overrated as hell
id take lamb over beal all day. He actually has some iso moves and can dribble unlike Beal. In todays nba u need playmakers. im not sayin lambs the best but hes shown that he can take over games with the ball in his hands. Beal is NOT the next EGordon. Not nearly as athletic nor as quick. His face looks like EGordon's but thats about it.

Whats the difference between Beal and Martell Webster comin out? (Okay maybe its a stretch) but Beals game reminds me of Websters. Good shooter, occasional good dunks here and there, a little above average athleticism. 

There's a lot of different ways that the Hornets could go about using that top 10 pick, but I think AD would be better served to be paired with a vet in the front court for his rookie year atleast. Perry Jones and him could be a disaster. They're both the same size and somewhat the same type of players. I guess you could roll with Grevis or Jack for this year, but both of them are moreso good backups and not your point guard of the future. And if Gordon stays healthy (I think he was milking the injury this year because he was pissed about the trade) he'll be worth every bit of that 60 mill. I hope we go after him...we have the money and he would fit in great alongside Jrue and Iguodala.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

First thing I thought of when I heard Hornets got number one.

Was like, well, they're taking Davis, so wonder what they'll get for Okafor.

SOMEONE will take him.

No team can succeed with two unreliable post scorers? 
Scoring in the post is SO overrated. It sounds nice but it isn't necessary for success. Look at the teams in the playoffs now - MIA = no big man that could score with Bosh out. BOS = KG is decent in the post, more of a jump shooter now. SA = Duncan is decent in the post, Spurs live and die by the PnR now. OKC = No big man is even close to a reliable scorer. Why would the Hornets give up on Okafor immediately? For a center who could score in the post? How many of those are there in the league? And how many do it efficiently while not being liabilities on defense? Very few. 

Why not keep a guy who could guard stronger centers and also mentor Davis on defense? Emeka is a center and Davis is a PF. I don't see what the big deal is. The Hornets aren't built to succeed NOW anyway. 

I never said that, but doesn't make sense to keep Okafor around anymore. For what? You have another big you can build around.

The Hornets are better off to unload his ugly contract, get some more scorers and play-makers on that team, and just start rebuilding.

If there were a more cohesive team around those two, they may be able to get away with Okafor and Davis.

But with your starting five being Jack, hopefully Gordon, and Trevor Ariza, you need some scoring from SOMEWHERE other than Gordon. You love what Okafor brings on defense, but you got a younger, more promising big you can build around.

I really want Scott Machado for the Pacers! I hope they can arrange their roster properly, considering they have 2 players playing out of position (Paul George and George Hill). Sorry to say, but Danny needs to go bye bye

Originally Posted by WJuN15

brad beal is overrated as hell
id take lamb over beal all day. He actually has some iso moves and can dribble unlike Beal. In todays nba u need playmakers. im not sayin lambs the best but hes shown that he can take over games with the ball in his hands. Beal is NOT the next EGordon. Not nearly as athletic nor as quick. His face looks like EGordon's but thats about it.

Whats the difference between Beal and Martell Webster comin out? (Okay maybe its a stretch) but Beals game reminds me of Websters. Good shooter, occasional good dunks here and there, a little above average athleticism. 
laugh.gif

Lamb if anything, needs people to help him create shots.

Beal is not over rated.

Back
Top Bottom