Official 2012 NBA Trade Deadline Thread: The Dwightmare is Over.

Originally Posted by rashi

As a Magic fan, I'll take Boozer, Jimmy Butler, and a 1st Rd. pick and ship ya'll Dwight.

Now... I know what I just typed... But honestly... If this was the offer on the table...
9321564f7e8555a2e0954efbe680638a02fd4f7_r.gif
IT I'LL RENT HIM FOR THE 2ND HALF OF THE SEASON & THE OFFS
laugh.gif
roll.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

Star players have long had input on transactions, and I'm sure this isn't the first time one has had the power to take power from the powerful.

I agree... it has been done before but to openly come out and say it is an entirely different situation.in itself do you disagree?

Nobody has really come out and said it though. It's just being reported as such.

I expect it to be the new thing with star players leaving teams from now on.

Quite frankly, seeing as he's the undisputed best big man in the league that can make any team an elite defense just by his presence it's not like it doesn't make that much sense. I've been wondering why SVG's job wasn't in jeopardy before and Otis is a terrible GM. I'd figure they get fired if Dwight walks anyway.

I mean, it's not like Dwight put this out there himself, but sure, the fact that we are actually hearing about it puts it on a new plane.

Most general managers in the league don't deserve their jobs as it is, but seeing as how Dwight had input on Big Baby being brought in, and Stephen Jackson is his ideal teammate, I don't like his chances of succeeding at it much, either.
laugh.gif

I hope he does have the authority for a minute and announces that he's trading himself.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Originally Posted by rashi

As a Magic fan, I'll take Boozer, Jimmy Butler, and a 1st Rd. pick and ship ya'll Dwight.

Now... I know what I just typed... But honestly... If this was the offer on the table...
9321564f7e8555a2e0954efbe680638a02fd4f7_r.gif
IT I'LL RENT HIM FOR THE 2ND HALF OF THE SEASON & THE OFFS
laugh.gif
roll.gif
grin.gif

seriously. even if he leaves you get rid of boozer which would be a small price to pay for a title. im sure bulls fans would love to get rid of boozers contract

Originally Posted by dadecounty11

Originally Posted by Spectacular23

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

I'd take Evans. Sac bugging if they don't flip him for something while they can.

Anybody want Landry Fields?
indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
  I really LOL'd at this.
roll.gif
roll.gif
I truly had to wipe tears away seeing that

LarryCoon Larry +#%@
As the trade deadline approaches, here are teams with trade exceptions: CHA $3.5M; DAL $4.2M, $3.1M, $2.2M; DEN $7.0M; LAC $3.8M, $2.8M

LarryCoon Larry +#%@
...LAL $8.9M; OKC $1.3M; ORL $4.2M; PHI $2.7M; POR $1.2M; SAN $0.9M; UTA $10.9M

I said this before but I really think the whole Adidas thing is playing a factor.

They wouldn't want their 2 biggest guys in one market. Them playing together instead of on 2 good teams is losing exposure.

BUT on the flipside if they win together it wouldn't matter.

Originally Posted by MonStar1

I said this before but I really think the whole Adidas thing is playing a factor.

They wouldn't want their 2 biggest guys in one market. Them playing together instead of on 2 good teams is losing exposure.

i've had this notion as well. i think the adidas thing is playing a factor. and yes having 2 guys on the same team in one market wont do much good for exposure. thats why i feel hes not about going to chi. new jersey would be the spot for the adidas exposure. and well dallas as well. LA tho would be huge. being next to nike and kobe line.

Originally Posted by rleelum25

Originally Posted by MonStar1

i've had this notion as well. i think the adidas thing is playing a factor. and yes having 2 guys on the same team in one market wont do much good for exposure. thats why i feel hes not about going to chi. new jersey would be the spot for the adidas exposure. and well dallas as well. LA tho would be huge. being next to nike and kobe line.

I think its more of a jealousy thing... Pooh's the poster child for Adidas now that 185 contract something Dwight will never see. Hometown Kid playing for his city it's his team that's something Dwight can't combat... Youngest MVP so on and so on.  I believe that plays into it more than just the adidas thing.

If true, Magic ownership.
sick.gif

March 13: Latest NBA trade buzz

• Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports: For everything Dwight Howard has told the Orlando Magic management about bringing him a stronger supporting cast, about the possibility that he could still sign an extension, it has turned into a complete ruse – a misdirection play on his eventual signing with the Brooklyn-bound New Jersey Nets, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. With the combination of Howard’s disdain for confrontation, desire to be liked and a pragmatic belief that a trade is no longer in his best long-term interests, Howard has created an illusion with the Magic that there are factors that could cause him to sign an extension with the team. “Dwight’s gone, and [Magic CEO] Alex Martins is the only person who doesn’t believe that,

Trade deadline: Buyer's guide.

Spoiler [+]
A quick reminder for the masses: "Three-way trade" is usually code for "hopeless." That piece of info is particularly instructive when our hottest trade rumor at the moment -- lukewarm though it might be -- involves a fairly implausible three-way deal that sends Monta Ellis to the Orlando Magic and Andrew Bogut to the Golden State Warriors. I've yet to hear a convincing argument for what the Magic could send the Milwaukee Bucks to complete the circle.

Nonetheless, some other players might be on the move in the next 48 hours. In fact, Bogut and Ellis might be, too. Unfortunately, it appears unlikely that we'll get the hoped-for blockbusters involving Dwight Howard and Steve Nash. Instead, much of the action Thursday is likely to be with the next dominoes in the stack, the not-quite-All-Stars of the caliber of Bogut and Ellis.

With that in mind, we present our trade deadline shopping guide -- a quick look at the players most widely thought to be available, what they bring to the table and what the potential pitfalls are in a deal:

Pau Gasol

The one genuine All-Star who is most likely to be traded, Gasol is a versatile post threat who devastates offensively from the center position and is pretty darned good even as a high-post forward.

The main worry is how he'll handle the physicality of being a full-time center -- which is where he'd play on most rosters outside of L.A. -- especially if there isn't a tough big in the frontcourt to help protect him. Perhaps that fear is overdone, as the Lakers got to the Finals in 2008 with Gasol as a full-time 5. But he's 31 and makes $19 million each of the next two seasons, so teams are picking over his weaknesses carefully.

Kevin Martin

Speculation that the Houston Rockets are looking to move Martin increased when he played 19, 17 and 16 minutes in their past three games, but the sharpshooter doesn't fit on every roster. He needs to be paired with a good wing defender to keep him away from the tougher defensive matchups, and -- at 29 years old and with another year at $12.5 million -- this isn't a player for rebuilding projects. On the right roster, though, his high-efficiency deep shooting can be devastating.

Andrew Bogut

Is he injury-prone or just unlucky? That's the big question if you're trying to value Bogut, and my instinct is more toward the latter. Bogut has had three completely separate injuries (back, elbow and now ankle) that have kept him out for extended periods, but, in between, he has been among the best five defensive players in basketball and has provided some decent offense with his left-handed flips around the basket.

Bogut has lost confidence in his jumper and foul shooting since the elbow injury, and it's a bit odd to call him a franchise center with a TS% in the 40s each of the past two seasons. But he owns the boards and his defense is absolutely monstrous, plus his contract is quite reasonable for a center of this caliber. At 27, he's the right target for a team such as Golden State that's ready to make a move but in need of a dice roll; unfortunately, the fine print says you have to take Stephen Jackson off Milwaukee's hands, too.

Monta Ellis

A fun little tidbit from the new stats gizmo at NBA.com: The Warriors are plus-15 this season when Steph Curry plays and Monta Ellis are on the bench but minus-119 when Ellis plays and Curry is on the pine. The season before, they were plus-23 with Curry and no Ellis but minus-191 with Ellis and no Curry. The season before that, the tally was plus-122 with Curry and no Ellis and minus-89 for the opposite.

So, for the three seasons those two have been together, Golden State has outscored its opponents by 160 points when Curry plays and Ellis sits despite being badly outscored overall. And, in the opposite situation, the Warriors have been outscored by 399 points.

In other words, if you're going to deal one of the two, you deal Ellis in a hot second. That's especially true now because nobody wants to deal for Curry until we know what's going on with his constantly sprained ankles. Although I think Ellis is overrated, he definitely has improved, and I can understand why Orlando in particular -- a team desperate for perimeter shot creators -- would want to take a look at him.

Ellis makes $11 million each of the next two seasons, but, as his tenure with Curry shows, he has to be paired with a big, solid defensive point guard who can cross-match with him. Even that is only a partial solution for the real problem: He just needs to play harder on defense.

I suspect the Warriors overvalue Ellis based on his gaudy scoring stats, and that, for that reason, he won't be dealt. Also, Golden State is probably feeling good about itself now that it's back on the fringes on the playoff race. Nonetheless, it's inevitable that the team will need to break up this backcourt for more frontcourt help. Ellis is a tough player to fit on a lot of rosters, but, with the right one (again, such as Orlando), he could be a very positive addition.

Jamal Crawford

Crawford isn't a full-time point guard but has had to play there more often than envisioned for the Portland Trail Blazers because of the struggles of Raymond Felton. Nonetheless, he's having a better season than people realize, posting the second-best PER of his career; he's just having to create a huge number of shots because nobody else in the backcourt can get anything done, and it's dragging down his percentages.

Crawford is likely to opt out after the season, making him a tricky player to put in a deal unless it's a salary dump, and he's too good to be involved in a salary dump. (The same, incidentally, applies to fellow Blazers trade target Gerald Wallace). He doesn't give you much defensively, but he made his living with the Atlanta Hawks as a go-to guy for the second unit who can spot 10 minutes as the backup point guard. That's the ideal role for him; unfortunately, Felton's situation has pushed him into more of a primary ballhandling role.

Actually, the best-case scenario might be for Portland to trade from its glut of wing players for another point guard and clear room for Crawford to play more regularly at the 2. All options certainly are on the table for the Blazers, but Crawford remains their most portable asset.

Rajon Rondo

A star player in his prime on a fairly reasonable contract (three years after this one, at a combined $36 million), Rondo nonetheless generates a fair amount of debate regarding how well he would fit on another roster. He can't shoot at all and needs the ball in his hands to be effective, plus, the other wing players have to be strong shooters to provide enough floor space for his brand of basketball.

Yet the older Boston Celtics players have become so poor at shot creation that the phenomenon appears to be taking Rondo down with it. His career trend line is pretty clear, creating more shots with less efficiency every season as the age-related decline around him forces him into a more prominent offensive role. And, obviously, it would help if he had some company on his one-man transition forays.

Rondo is potentially devastating on defense but needs a consistent foot in his rear to achieve it; he tends to lapse into over-gambling and under-trying. Nonetheless, he's a fantastic trade target for the Indianas and Portlands of the world that badly need a point guard upgrade. The only question is whether Boston is truly willing to part with him, and, if so, at what price.

Chris Kaman

I consider Kaman somewhat overrated, and wonder whether that's part of the reason the New Orleans Hornets have had so much trouble trying to move him. He's a capable low-post scorer, but, through his entire career, the end results of all those post-ups has been a lot of turnovers and just middling shooting efficiency; this season, for instance, he's shooting 41.5 percent and making 3.4 turnovers a game.

Where Kaman has real value is with his beastly board work, and, to a lesser extent, with his ability to defend the post and block shots. But he's owed $14 million this season, which is a tough contract to shoehorn into a trade, and he's a free agent after the season, which makes teams reluctant to invest much.

Michael Beasley

Beasley will be a restricted free agent after this season and doesn't appear to be in the Minnesota Timberwolves' plans; the question is whether he'll be in anyone else's. Although he certainly can fill it up, the No. 2 pick in 2008 has been a disappointment as a pro in every other respect. In particular, his rebounding is minuscule compared with what he showed at Kansas State. Although he's a full-time 3 in Minnesota, I still wonder whether he'd be more productive as a full-time 4, a position he hasn't played regularly since his rookie season.

As a wing, Beasley is a low-efficiency shot creator and one who consistently spaces out on defense. On the other hand, he probably can be had inexpensively, and I'd still love for a rebuilding team to take a flier on him as a floor-spacing 4.

Eric Bledsoe

The one trade chip the Los Angeles Clippers have left to play in their search for wing help, Bledsoe is a raw product with huge potential but no place to play with Chris Paul and Mo Williams in front of him on the depth chart. Athletically, he can hang with anybody in the league -- a powerfully built 6-1 guard with outstanding quickness and leaping ability. Those attributes make him a strong defender now and potentially an all-world one in a couple of years, which is why he has trade value.

Offensively, however, let's just call him a work in progress. He basically has no idea how to play point guard, turning the ball over on a ghastly 26 percent of his career possessions, and he's a poor outside shooter. His overwhelming athleticism can offset some of his mistakes, and an acquiring team might hope to have him play through the rough spots and develop in a pattern similar to Russell Westbrook's with the Oklahoma City Thunder. But, overall, this is a high-risk, high-reward play best suited to a rebuilding team.

Ramon Sessions

A classic pick-and-roll point guard who has produced consistently in his five-year career, Sessions is still only 25 and carries a very reasonable contract. However, he might opt out of the final season he's owed at $4.5 million and carries considerably less appeal as a rental. Nonetheless, several contending teams need help at point guard, and Sessions' combination of productivity and salary makes him a very tempting target.

Now, for the caveats. He's not a good spot-up shooter and needs the ball in his hands, making him a poor fit for the likes of the Lakers. He has improved defensively this season but had been ridiculously bad in previous campaigns, which is one reason his contract dollars are what they are. And, again, if he plays well, he's just going to walk as a free agent.

Those are the reasons teams are (currently) balking at the Cleveland Cavaliers' asking price of a first-round pick, but a couple of clubs seem desperate enough for quality point guard help that they ultimately might cough one up.

Boris Diaw

The Charlotte Bobcats are sitting Diaw while they work on a trade or buyout; as with New Orleans' Kaman, it's likely Diaw will get bought out of the final year of his deal and will sign with a contender if he isn't traded by Thursday's 3 p.m. ET deadline.

Diaw isn't as valuable as Kaman, obviously; he's woefully out of shape and struggles with his outside shot. But, for a fourth big, you could do worse. Diaw is an underrated defender, even with the extra Michelins around his waist, and is big enough to check centers in a small-ball lineup. He's probably better as a buyout target because few teams will part with a real asset to get a player like this, but keep an eye on Diaw. He's a punchline right now, but his various skills are more easily appreciated on a winning team.

laugh.gif

UPDATE: Despite the Magic looking to give Howard more power and trying to acquire a player that may appease him, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports via league sources is reporting it as a situation where Howard is still likely to leave for the Nets via free agency.

He wrote: "It has turned into a complete ruse -- a misdirection play on his eventual signing with the Brooklyn-bound New Jersey Nets ... With the combination of Howard's disdain for confrontation, desire to be liked and a pragmatic belief that a trade is no longer in his best long-term interests, Howard has created an illusion with the Magic that there are factors that could cause him to sign an extension with the team."

Sources: Unable to secure a first-round pick in a deal for Jamal Crawford, the Blazers are said to be "cooling" on the idea of trading him.
— Ken Berger (@KBergCBS) March 13, 2012

they really thought they could get a 1st when Jamal is 31 and could become a UFA this summer
roll.gif
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom