Official 2012 San Francisco 49ers Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by dland24

Our team is still being held back by Alex Smith.

Asinine. 
I can't believe people's hatred for Alex Smith is blinding you guys from making proper judgements. And just because I supported Alex in the past don't think I put him above the team. I called for him to get benched last year as much as you guys. But this year Alex has played well, and last game's loss has NOTHING to do with Alex Smith and everything to do with out defense. Not only did Fangio stop blitzing and putting pressure on Romo in the second half, but our secondary kept getting burned. Alex threw for two TD's and turned a botched snap on a 3rd down into what would have resulted in a TD if that PI wasn't called. You can say what you want about only throwing 6 times in the second half but he got us the 10 point lead heading into the 4th. What more do you guys want? Our defense and defensive play calling lost us that game.  Alex did his part. 

Asinine. 
I can't believe people's hatred for Alex Smith is blinding you guys from making proper judgements. And just because I supported Alex in the past don't think I put him above the team. I called for him to get benched last year as much as you guys. But this year Alex has played well, and last game's loss has NOTHING to do with Alex Smith and everything to do with out defense. Not only did Fangio stop blitzing and putting pressure on Romo in the second half, but our secondary kept getting burned. Alex threw for two TD's and turned a botched snap on a 3rd down into what would have resulted in a TD if that PI wasn't called. You can say what you want about only throwing 6 times in the second half but he got us the 10 point lead heading into the 4th. What more do you guys want? Our defense and defensive play calling lost us that game.  Alex did his part. 

^ You really don't think terrible/mediocre QB play holds back a good team? Really, you don't?

Oh, ok.

^ You really don't think terrible/mediocre QB play holds back a good team? Really, you don't?

Oh, ok.

^^^I hate to admit it but I totally agree with that, thus far Alex has done a sufficient job at qb with out all of his weapons.
If anything its the non-running game Frank has brought to the table so far and the lack of play calling and defense.

^^^I hate to admit it but I totally agree with that, thus far Alex has done a sufficient job at qb with out all of his weapons.
If anything its the non-running game Frank has brought to the table so far and the lack of play calling and defense.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Oh, ok.
laugh.gif

ask the bears with rex grossman.

Oh, ok.
It does but Alex hasn't been terrible or mediocre in his first two games so that argument is completely irrelevant. We had a 10 point lead heading into the fourth! Alex damn near threw for 3 TDs. What more do you guys want?

Oh, ok.
It does but Alex hasn't been terrible or mediocre in his first two games so that argument is completely irrelevant. We had a 10 point lead heading into the fourth! Alex damn near threw for 3 TDs. What more do you guys want?

Why do you think there's no running game? Because teams are (and will continue to) daring you to beat them by throwing...but with a dumbed down playbook and little oppurtunities to open it up, that's just not going to happen. Enjoy a meager 3.1 YPC.

Why do you think there's no running game? Because teams are (and will continue to) daring you to beat them by throwing...but with a dumbed down playbook and little oppurtunities to open it up, that's just not going to happen. Enjoy a meager 3.1 YPC.

^^^^^^
Smith is partially to blame since he's limited and Harbaugh is coaching/calling plays to the best of Alexs skills/talents. However you are right, anyone who completely blames the last game all on alex is crazy. Alex is the scapegoat to alot of niner fans, just because we've been through it with him for the past 7 years. The Oline (crucial sacks, not opening up running holes) and the secondary are who should get most of the blame for the loss.

^^^^^^
Smith is partially to blame since he's limited and Harbaugh is coaching/calling plays to the best of Alexs skills/talents. However you are right, anyone who completely blames the last game all on alex is crazy. Alex is the scapegoat to alot of niner fans, just because we've been through it with him for the past 7 years. The Oline (crucial sacks, not opening up running holes) and the secondary are who should get most of the blame for the loss.

And what did Alex do with that? We were beating them by throwing. Alex did what he had to do and had us leading by 10 in the fourth.
And ady2, you're completely right. Alex is the scapegoat because it's easy to blame him since he's been terrible in the past. But as somebody who has watched football as long as I can remember, I cannot place the blame on our QB play last game. 

And what did Alex do with that? We were beating them by throwing. Alex did what he had to do and had us leading by 10 in the fourth.
And ady2, you're completely right. Alex is the scapegoat because it's easy to blame him since he's been terrible in the past. But as somebody who has watched football as long as I can remember, I cannot place the blame on our QB play last game. 

The o-line and secondary are definitely the main reasons the 49ers lost vs Dallas, I thought Alex played okay...however, Harbaugh will have to open up the playbook for him and let him make more downfield throws moving forward. It's clear that they're trying to put Alex in a situation to succeed and put him in good situations; that's just the type of QB he is, and we all know that by now. He can't make plays by himself, and he's a terrible improviser (which unfortunately is very important to be a good QB), but he's good enough to be a decent game manager who needs to make some tough throws here and there.

I'm not faulting Alex Smith for the Cowboy loss...it was a terrible loss, but not completely his fault. He had a typicall INT, but I was actually surprised he didn't fumble at least 2 times with as much pressure as he was getting.

Alex's skillset is very limited because he lacks a consistent touch and pressure reads...so it is what it is. I was happy to see him avg 7 yards per throw at least.

I'm not faulting Alex Smith for the Cowboy loss...it was a terrible loss, but not completely his fault. He had a typicall INT, but I was actually surprised he didn't fumble at least 2 times with as much pressure as he was getting.

Alex's skillset is very limited because he lacks a consistent touch and pressure reads...so it is what it is. I was happy to see him avg 7 yards per throw at least.

The o-line and secondary are definitely the main reasons the 49ers lost vs Dallas, I thought Alex played okay...however, Harbaugh will have to open up the playbook for him and let him make more downfield throws moving forward. It's clear that they're trying to put Alex in a situation to succeed and put him in good situations; that's just the type of QB he is, and we all know that by now. He can't make plays by himself, and he's a terrible improviser (which unfortunately is very important to be a good QB), but he's good enough to be a decent game manager who needs to make some tough throws here and there.

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Asinine. 
As someone who is a football mind like yourself, I find it absolutely comical that you dont agree with me.

All you need to do is look at the playcalling to show you that Alex is holding this team back.  There isnt a single QB in the entire league that is being handcuffed by playcalling like Alex is.  Why is he being handcuffed?  Because Harbaugh knows that if he allows Alex to start opening it up and taking chances, he will f*** it up and start playing poorly.  Do you think its a coincidence we are dead last in pass attempts in the NFL?

For the record, I never said that Alex lost the Dallas game for us.  What lost the game for us was Harbaugh not managing the game like he would if we had a real QB as our starter.  Dont you think the game could have worked out differently if we attempted to move the ball 30 yards for a FG attempt at the end of the first half?  Dont you think the game could have worked out differently if Harbaugh would have accepted the penalty and we had 1st and 10 from the 22 with 11 minutes left?  You know why Harbaugh went ultra conservative in those situations?  He was obviously terrified of Alex screwing up.

Alex barely has 300 yards in 2 games.  50% of his passes go less than 5 yards in the air.  We run on 3rd down regularly.  Alex is being asked to do nothing more than manage the game, which he is doing a good job with.  But lets be honest.  There isnt another starting NFL quality quarterback that couldnt do what he is doing right now.  Not a single one.

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Asinine. 
As someone who is a football mind like yourself, I find it absolutely comical that you dont agree with me.

All you need to do is look at the playcalling to show you that Alex is holding this team back.  There isnt a single QB in the entire league that is being handcuffed by playcalling like Alex is.  Why is he being handcuffed?  Because Harbaugh knows that if he allows Alex to start opening it up and taking chances, he will f*** it up and start playing poorly.  Do you think its a coincidence we are dead last in pass attempts in the NFL?

For the record, I never said that Alex lost the Dallas game for us.  What lost the game for us was Harbaugh not managing the game like he would if we had a real QB as our starter.  Dont you think the game could have worked out differently if we attempted to move the ball 30 yards for a FG attempt at the end of the first half?  Dont you think the game could have worked out differently if Harbaugh would have accepted the penalty and we had 1st and 10 from the 22 with 11 minutes left?  You know why Harbaugh went ultra conservative in those situations?  He was obviously terrified of Alex screwing up.

Alex barely has 300 yards in 2 games.  50% of his passes go less than 5 yards in the air.  We run on 3rd down regularly.  Alex is being asked to do nothing more than manage the game, which he is doing a good job with.  But lets be honest.  There isnt another starting NFL quality quarterback that couldnt do what he is doing right now.  Not a single one.

Back
Top Bottom