Official 2012 San Francisco 49ers Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Originally Posted by xx Name Brand xx

Nah, don't cut Williams. Gore/Davis/Williams/Ginn/Crabtree/Walker/Hunter all stay. As far as talent goes, we have a top tier offense. But how are they going to flourish if the ball doesn't get to them consistently?

We need to trade for Peyton Manning. If we get Manning we win 2 out of the next 3 Super Bowls. I'm sure Harbaugh still has front office ties to the Colts, he can make it happen.

Montana + Walsh to Young + Seifert to Manning + Harbaugh = Dynasty.
Bro, you need to relax...
this cannot be cereal.

Originally Posted by offbad

Nah, don't cut Williams. Gore/Davis/Williams/Ginn/Crabtree/Walker/Hunter all stay. As far as talent goes, we have a top tier offense. But how are they going to flourish if the ball doesn't get to them consistently?

We need to trade for Peyton Manning. If we get Manning we win 2 out of the next 3 Super Bowls. I'm sure Harbaugh still has front office ties to the Colts, he can make it happen.

this cannot be cereal.
For the past 2 seasons the 49ers have had top tier offensive talent at the RB, TE and REC positions, but they can't get the ball in 3rd down conversion & red zone situations. The play calling is suspect also. The talent is there, not the execution & numbers/stats.

this cannot be cereal.
For the past 2 seasons the 49ers have had top tier offensive talent at the RB, TE and REC positions, but they can't get the ball in 3rd down conversion & red zone situations. The play calling is suspect also. The talent is there, not the execution & numbers/stats.

will the niners re-sign Josh Mogan and can they sign Carlos Rogers and Dashon Goldson to long term contracts? can the current receiving core solve our problems with red zone scoring or should we go out and get big receiver like Vincent Jackson? 

will the niners re-sign Josh Mogan and can they sign Carlos Rogers and Dashon Goldson to long term contracts? can the current receiving core solve our problems with red zone scoring or should we go out and get big receiver like Vincent Jackson? 

Since we are playing the whole what I want us to do game:

-Resign Rogers. He has already stated he would take a discount to stay in SF.
-Use the franchise tag on Goldson.
-Resign Ginn
-Sign Peyton Manning
-Have him bring his friend Reggie with him.

Superbowl. Book it.

-Resign Ginn
-Sign Peyton Manning

Superbowl. Book it.

Originally Posted by dland24

-Resign Ginn
-Sign Peyton Manning

Superbowl. Book it.
perfect
pimp.gif

-Resign Ginn
-Sign Peyton Manning

Superbowl. Book it.
perfect
pimp.gif

this cannot be cereal.
The WR corp has been full of awful for probably the last decade. They're not even mediocre. These guys would not be starters on any other team.

this cannot be cereal.
The WR corp has been full of awful for probably the last decade. They're not even mediocre. These guys would not be starters on any other team.

this cannot be cereal.
Peyton Manning would make Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan and Kyle Williams look like a very good wide receiving corps.  You say the WR corps has been awful.  I say our QB has had just as much to do with them being awful as their own skills did. 

this cannot be cereal.
Peyton Manning would make Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan and Kyle Williams look like a very good wide receiving corps.  You say the WR corps has been awful.  I say our QB has had just as much to do with them being awful as their own skills did. 

okay that's fair too, there needs to be a passer and a receiver to make a catch/completion. the QBs in SFO over the same timeframe have not been anywhere near good either.

but do you honestly believe these current WRs get good separation off the line, run routes well, possess top end speed, and have good hands?

okay that's fair too, there needs to be a passer and a receiver to make a catch/completion. the QBs in SFO over the same timeframe have not been anywhere near good either.

but do you honestly believe these current WRs get good separation off the line, run routes well, possess top end speed, and have good hands?

Aside from the super athletic or elite WRs (Larry CJ, Roddy, and a few others), I fully believe that the QB makes the WRs, not the other way around.

I mean, it seems awfully convenient that the Giants regularly have turnover in WRs, and they suffer virtually no drop off. Steve Smith was a 1200 yard receiver one year, he gets hurt the next season, but Mario Manningham steps right in and has almost a 1000 yard season with 9 touchdowns. Coincidence? Well then this year Manningham is the one who has an injury plagued season, and Victor Cruz, some undrafted no name, steps in and has 1500 yards and 9 touchdowns.

Its not just Eli. Look at the Steelers. Last year Mike Wallace breaks out to become a top WR. This year Antonio Brown has 1100 yards. Jordy Nelson had 15 touchdowns this year. Laurent Robinson gets limited playing time in the first 4 weeks of the season. Then Miles Austin gets hurt, and Robinson has 11 touchdowns in the final 12 games of the season. Do you see the huge difference between Rob Gronkowski/Jimmy Graham's numbers and Vernon Davis' numbers? Are they really that much better players than Vern is? Look at what the Colts have done over the years that Peyton has been there. He makes players like Austin Collie, Pierre Garcon, and Brandon Stokely look like Pro Bowlers.

Sorry for the rant. But it just seems like every WR that has jumped from no where to a top WR just happens to play with a top quarterback. If Michael Crabtree played with a good QB, there is no doubt to me that he would be a 1200 yard 10 TD player.

So to answer your question, I think we are still missing that elite, true #1 WR.....but I think with a good QB, our wide receivers would look far more than adequate at the things you just asked me about.

Aside from the super athletic or elite WRs (Larry CJ, Roddy, and a few others), I fully believe that the QB makes the WRs, not the other way around.

I mean, it seems awfully convenient that the Giants regularly have turnover in WRs, and they suffer virtually no drop off. Steve Smith was a 1200 yard receiver one year, he gets hurt the next season, but Mario Manningham steps right in and has almost a 1000 yard season with 9 touchdowns. Coincidence? Well then this year Manningham is the one who has an injury plagued season, and Victor Cruz, some undrafted no name, steps in and has 1500 yards and 9 touchdowns.

Its not just Eli. Look at the Steelers. Last year Mike Wallace breaks out to become a top WR. This year Antonio Brown has 1100 yards. Jordy Nelson had 15 touchdowns this year. Laurent Robinson gets limited playing time in the first 4 weeks of the season. Then Miles Austin gets hurt, and Robinson has 11 touchdowns in the final 12 games of the season. Do you see the huge difference between Rob Gronkowski/Jimmy Graham's numbers and Vernon Davis' numbers? Are they really that much better players than Vern is? Look at what the Colts have done over the years that Peyton has been there. He makes players like Austin Collie, Pierre Garcon, and Brandon Stokely look like Pro Bowlers.

Sorry for the rant. But it just seems like every WR that has jumped from no where to a top WR just happens to play with a top quarterback. If Michael Crabtree played with a good QB, there is no doubt to me that he would be a 1200 yard 10 TD player.

So to answer your question, I think we are still missing that elite, true #1 WR.....but I think with a good QB, our wide receivers would look far more than adequate at the things you just asked me about.

okay i agree with some points you made, but also maybe those teams just do a better job at scoping WR talent-- lots can go on behind the scene to explain some of that stuff. You can also admit that SFO has not done a good job of getting/identifying WR talent and developing it either. there have also been miscues in FA WR signings.

although i never questioned the TEs on the 49ers, i guess the way this team plays you can lump them into the WR unit.

my point is, i don't agree that the 49ers WRs are "top tier" as whatever his name said they were. they can definitely benefit from having a better QB who is willing to and actually can make good throws to them, but they still would not be "top tier". it's not a question of "do WRs make QBs or do QBs make WRs"

okay i agree with some points you made, but also maybe those teams just do a better job at scoping WR talent-- lots can go on behind the scene to explain some of that stuff. You can also admit that SFO has not done a good job of getting/identifying WR talent and developing it either. there have also been miscues in FA WR signings.

although i never questioned the TEs on the 49ers, i guess the way this team plays you can lump them into the WR unit.

my point is, i don't agree that the 49ers WRs are "top tier" as whatever his name said they were. they can definitely benefit from having a better QB who is willing to and actually can make good throws to them, but they still would not be "top tier". it's not a question of "do WRs make QBs or do QBs make WRs"

Agreed. Our wide receiving corps is no where close to elite. But I strongly believe that they would not be regarded nearly as bad if we had a better QB.

Agreed. Our wide receiving corps is no where close to elite. But I strongly believe that they would not be regarded nearly as bad if we had a better QB.

Back
Top Bottom