Official 2012 US Open Thread ( Vol. Kimmy's Last Run)

UPSET SPECIAL!!!!
eek.gif

Fed's path to number 7 and most weeks number 1 got a little easier.

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. Nadal takes the L. That dude straight BEASTED tonight. Especially on serve. Dude was like robotic with how he was serving.

Need Fed win it though.

Seriously, that has to be the greatest display of tennis from a not top 50 player EVER.

How can someone play this good and not be a top player"?

Im baffled

pimp.gif
Rosol tho

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Seriously, that has to be the greatest display of tennis from a not top 50 player EVER.

Im baffled

pimp.gif
Rosol tho
That's the thing with tennis or other individual sports, I guess, is that all the lower-ranked players have the ability to make huge shots... hit big forehands, rip crosscourt backhands and hammer down huge serves.  They can all win points, games and even a set off of top players.  I play tennis and if I played 100 points with Rafa, hypothetically speaking, I think can, at least, win a few points here and there. But can I do it over 5 sets at Wimbledon?  Of course not.  And I'm just a recreational player.  
The same a theory applies to lower-ranked guys. All the pros (and I'm talking out-of-top-100 guys here) have the ability to hit winners and win points off the top guys... they just can't do it consistently in a best-of-5 sets match for 7 straight matches.  

With Rosol, I really hope he can continue with his strong-form in the next couple of rounds.  Clearly he has the shots to be a top 50 or even top 20 player... the issue remains... does he have the consistency?

Gutted that Marion went out yesterday, will be tuning in today to see if Sabine can restore a bit of German pride (I prefer the women's tour to the men's atm)

Put it together and Rosol, making his debut at the All England Club, overpowered 11-time Grand Slam champion Nadal 6-7 (9), 6-4, 6-4, 2-6, 6-4, one of the most astonishing results in tennis history. 

They're both 26 years old, yet Nadal entered the day with 583 career match wins, and Rosol 19. Nadal owns 50 titles, Rosol zero. In 178 prior Grand Slam matches, Nadal never had lost to a foe ranked 70th or worse. In five previous visits to Wimbledon, Rosol lost every time in the first round of qualifying -- not even the main event. Qualifying. This is only the Czech player's second career tour-level event on grass; the first was two weeks ago.
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/news/20120628/wimbledon-2012/#ixzz1zBWQcV2u
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Originally Posted by SinnerP

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Im baffled

pimp.gif
Rosol tho
That's the thing with tennis or other individual sports, I guess, is that all the lower-ranked players have the ability to make huge shots... hit big forehands, rip crosscourt backhands and hammer down huge serves.  They can all win points, games and even a set off of top players.  I play tennis and if I played 100 points with Rafa, hypothetically speaking, I think can, at least, win a few points here and there. But can I do it over 5 sets at Wimbledon?  Of course not.  And I'm just a recreational player.  
The same a theory applies to lower-ranked guys. All the pros (and I'm talking out-of-top-100 guys here) have the ability to hit winners and win points off the top guys... they just can't do it consistently in a best-of-5 sets match for 7 straight matches.  

With Rosol, I really hope he can continue with his strong-form in the next couple of rounds.  Clearly he has the shots to be a top 50 or even top 20 player... the issue remains... does he have the consistency?
 you wouldnt win more than 2 points on Rafa
laugh.gif

but my point is how can this guy play this good for 5 sets vs Rafa arguably the greatest player in the game

Rafa was not playing poorly neither. rosol took  it to his #+* . Like the SI article says, Rafa damn near got straight setted. Im actually glad it went 5 sets b/c that showed it wasnt some Lucky shots. he overcame his own adversity and turned it back up

I haven't really been watching with an ear to the commentators or the post match analysis but from what I've heard, a good amount of folks are using that 30 minute delay as a reason he came out a little flat to start the 5th. They're not using it as an excuse but just tossing it out there to see if it sticks.

Originally Posted by Proshares

I haven't really been watching with an ear to the commentators or the post match analysis but from what I've heard, a good amount of folks are using that 30 minute delay as a reason he came out a little flat to start the 5th. They're not using it as an excuse but just tossing it out there to see if it sticks.

I think thats crap. whats the excuse for him losing the 2nd and 3rd sets after Barely winning the 1st on basically nervous unforced errors from Rosol

Rafa just didn't look good at all yesterday. Even winning the first set, he just got by. If Rosol didn't dump that forehand in the net, he might have won it in straight sets. It seemed like Rafa was slicing his backhands a lot in this match. He was tentative in this whole match. 

GUNNA GET IT wrote:

you wouldnt win more than 2 points on Rafa
laugh.gif

but my point is how can this guy play this good for 5 sets vs Rafa arguably the greatest player in the game

Rafa was not playing poorly neither. rosol took  it to his #+* . Like the SI article says, Rafa damn near got straight setted. Im actually glad it went 5 sets b/c that showed it wasnt some Lucky shots. he overcame his own adversity and turned it back up

I'd be happy if I won 2 out of 100 points against Rafa.  
laugh.gif

But my point is, all pros have the physical ability to hit big winners against anyone. Most just aren't able to string it together consistently.   

I haven't read the SI article, but I felt Rafa played pretty poorly in the first 3 sets.  Hit shots were either landing way-short or were several feet out... something you rarely see from him.  Actually, he had no business winning the 1st set tie-break.  Rosol just got a bit tight and netted on set-point.  But all match, Rosol was just everything with tons of pace (90mph groundstrokes!)... Rafa barely had any time to react!  Rafa also had NO answers for Rosol's serve.  Like dawgz said, Rafa was slicing a lot of his backhands back... probably cuz he could get a good-feel on his top-spin strokes.  Looked very uncomfortable.

In the 4th, Rafa sorta found his form while Rosol got a bit tight.  He started missing a few shots and serves.  

Originally Posted by Proshares

Did the delay hurt him?  Perhaps. Rafa had a bit of momentum, easily winning the 4th with 2 breaks.  I think he would have won had there not been a delay.  But at the same time, given the situation of the delay, you'd still pick Rafa to win.  Not saying it's an excuse for him losing cuz Rosol came out playing very aggressive and got the early break.  I think Rosol won his final 2 service games to love... reflecting how well he was serving.

that pressure and the pace from Rosol is what made Rafa play shots we're not used to seeing.

Rosol's 2 handed backhand was like a Lazer.

Ive never seen someone hit it that hard.

was talking with friend yesterday and we made comparison of Goran Ivanisevic beatign Becker in Wimbledon as unranked player. similar disgustingly hard serve and severa pace on ground strokes.

Rosol's return of serves
eek.gif
My Goodness

Back
Top Bottom