Official 2013 Boxing Thread: Year is over, please lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all late on this but...

Still shocked why Canelo didn't make that fight more interesting. Yes, I know, I've heard and read it all on how good Mayweather is, but I'm looking at it through the other end of the spectrum, don't understand how Canelo wasn't aggressive as he has been with all his other fights. Why was he so tentative?
Canelo said Mayweather's punches didn't hurt him so why didn't he become the aggressor? I guess Canelo's biggest mistake was to try and outbox Mayweather. Something he should have known he couldn't do. Only way he could of won was by knockout. When you have someone "running" (and don't mean that in a disrespectful way, don't know how else to word it) guess it's hard to do that.

Mayweathers opponents always get gun shy. He may claim the punches didn't hurt, but it clearly hurts enough to where all his opponents stop firing and put out drastically lower punch output numbers than their norm. When you're getting hit constantly, and can't hit your opponent, you're going to gradually become mentally fragile as the fight goes on until you've lost the fight completely mentally.

I'm not so sure about the running comment, I saw Mayweather either fighting in the pocket with Canelo, or actually walking him down for the majority of the fight.

Last edited:
I guess the consensus is the fight will be the same the second time around, but Matthysse might be a little more competitive. But we will all tune in to watch it, so that's the part that makes sense.

I agreed with the Garcia Matthysse score 114_112 the thing that bothered me were the knockdown bc Lucas was between the ropes when Danny was punching him at that point tony Weeks should have called for a break.

Rumor is Danny Garcia - Lucas Matthysse II is set up and ready to go. Just need to set a date.

Really?! Hmmm... Idk how I feel about that yet. I agree he should have explored better fights and gone up to 147... Eh... This smells $$$ driven what does he gain from beating him twice? It would look more impressive to beat him go on to handle broner or something and then keep going from there

The more I think or this just pissed me off... Smh you already disposed of him man high risk low reward

Last edited:
How improved is your cardio, stamina, endurance since starting boxing training?

From my experience, I'd say its really good because you develop your lungs, heart, and muscle endurance. Also I'm 36 years old, married, and a father, and people always think I'm 10 years younger, lol yes humble brag.

I love fitness. Lift weights five times a day. Enjoy running five to six miles almost every day.

Boxing is the only sport I didn't get to try growing up.

I took two complimentary MMA sessions with an American Top Team associated gym. Couple five minute open mat sessions had me gassed and sweating bullets.

I love fitness. Lift weights five times a day. Enjoy running five to six miles almost every day.

Boxing is the only sport I didn't get to try growing up.

I took two complimentary MMA sessions with an American Top Team associated gym. Couple five minute open mat sessions had me gassed and sweating bullets.

I think you meant to say you lift 5 times a week?! Lol:lol

But yeah, if I quote Floyd, "it's totally different in the ring" I've brought my cousins to the boxing gym, one does jui jitsu, and another is a marathon runner. But they were gassing out after one round. It's just totally different dynamics from other sports. And if I joined my cousin running, I won't make it passed 4 miles.

Part of it is controlling your breathing and being relaxed. Another example was my first time sparring with a professional ( Weng Haya, who KD Orlando Salido last year but lost). Anyway, I thought I was in shape already doing all the conditioning drills, roadwork, etc... But I gassed after rd 1 even if Weng took it easy on me. A lot of it were nerves and being too tense. Takes a lot of your stamina.

I fear grasping the technique and footwork would be challenging. I'm a perfectionist and little details would frustrate and irk me.

MMA gyms seem to be popping up in my area more than pure boxing gyms.

Major typo, did mean *week.

I'm all late on this but...

Still shocked why Canelo didn't make that fight more interesting. Yes, I know, I've heard and read it all on how good Mayweather is, but I'm looking at it through the other end of the spectrum, don't understand how Canelo wasn't aggressive as he has been with all his other fights. Why was he so tentative?

Canelo said Mayweather's punches didn't hurt him so why didn't he become the aggressor? I guess Canelo's biggest mistake was to try and outbox Mayweather. Something he should have known he couldn't do. Only way he could of won was by knockout. When you have someone "running" (and don't mean that in a disrespectful way, don't know how else to word it) guess it's hard to do that.

Mayweathers opponents always get gun shy. He may claim the punches didn't hurt, but it clearly hurts enough to where all his opponents stop firing and put out drastically lower punch output numbers than their norm. When you're getting hit constantly, and can't hit your opponent, you're going to gradually become mentally fragile as the fight goes on until you've lost the fight completely mentally.

I'm not so sure about the running comment, I saw Mayweather either fighting in the pocket with Canelo, or actually walking him down for the majority of the fight.

Its not the power that makes them gun shy, it's the speed of his counter punches. Floyd is just too fast.

Yes but I thought Canelo would've threw caution to the wind after the 10th or so round where it was obvious he could not win a decision.

I mentioned the night of the fight that I wasn't too happy with the knockdown on Lucas. He was hit behind the head, pushed into the ropes, and punched while in the ropes. Added to the fact that Lucas has pretty poor balance, it's no wonder he went down. Lucas took much harder, cleaner shots all night, that didn't even phase him.

And ya, the countless low blows were annoying.

When we see Lucas/Danny II, I expect much better than Agbeko/Mares II. Lucas wants revenge. I give Danny a much better chance, but I wouldn't want to get in there again with Lucas right away if I were Danny.

Last edited:
Ya'll actin like Lucas didn't rabbit punch his previous opponent(forget his name right now, Peterson I think)

If true, I'm really surprised that Garcia's team didn't seek out other options. When Khan was screaming for a rematch, they choose to go another route.

I don't see what Garcia gains from beating Matthysse again.

Garcia has a legit shot at cashing in with a flight against Mayweather. Why not wait that out? Not sure I believe this rematch being a done deal.

Garcia has a legit shot at cashing in with a flight against Mayweather. Why not wait that out? Not sure I believe this rematch being a done deal.

What does he gain by getting picked apart by Money May?

Yeah what does Garcia have to lose by going against one of the GOAT? He'd have ZERO expectations and if he can give Floyd a good fight then it only works in his favor for the future. You have to go at the best while they're still out there at some point. That'd be a great look for him eventually, as if Money wouldn't pick apart ANYBODY in this class :lol Rooting for Danny since he's a Philly kid. I PRAY my dude B-Hop doesn't try and get in the ring with Floyd man, not at this age :x :x :{ :{

Yeah what does Garcia have to lose by going against one of the GOAT? He'd have ZERO expectations and if he can give Floyd a good fight then it only works in his favor for the future. You have to go at the best while they're still out there at some point. That'd be a great look for him eventually, as if Money wouldn't pick apart ANYBODY in this class :lol Rooting for Danny since he's a Philly kid. I PRAY my dude B-Hop doesn't try and get in the ring with Floyd man, not at this age :x :x :{ :{

I'm sure Victor Ortiz, Robert Guerrero and now Canelo Alvarez all had the same idea. It's nice to not be expected to win but I'm sure these boxers aren't going in there to simply concede to Mayweather. Besides the payday I see no real reason to destroy your psyche and halt whatever momentum you had built up in your career to that point. It takes a lot to come back from that first decisive loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom