Official 2013 Boxing Thread: Year is over, please lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't see the fight heard it was a wash. I'd consider myself a Pac fan but this fight was way more dangerous then Floyd fighting Guerrero or even victor ortiz. No i don't think you can say manny is back to the old manny but he beat a competent fighter. I would consider this a building block and a step in the right direction to getting the confidence back (even though i don't think he ever really lost confidence).

And who cares if Floyd has nothing to prove or floyd will out score pac easy.....as a boxing fan....i want to see that fight.

Some of you guys are missing the point. Manny isn't "back", the guy never left. This fight was just to measure where he was physically and mentally with the sport of boxing. Can he still take a solid punch? Does he still have speed and power? Is he more disciplined or willing to get wild with his exchanges? Rios had just a good of a chance to land one solid ko punch as anyone would. They knew Rios brought straight forward pressure and is durable through 12 rounds and not going to let up. Manny had a game plan and stuck to it. Let's not forget he was inactive for almost a year and looked good still. His place in boxing hasn't really gone anywhere. The only fight left to be made is Mayweather vs Pacquiao and that's it.

^ theres nothing to see... floyd dominated JMM and pac got merked by JMM

Completely sound logic...

Mayweather struggled agains De La Hoya...some thought he even lost that fight....Manny dominated and stopped De La Hoya in the 8th therefore.....manny can beat floyd

see what i did there

Last edited:
Whoever thought he lost that DLH fight is INSANE :lol

Judges Chuck Giampa (116-112) and Jerry Roth (115-113) scored the fight for Mayweather. Tom Kaczmarek (115-113) scored in favor of De La Hoya. While De La Hoya appeared to win the twelfth round, Jerry Roth gave it to Mayweather. Had Roth scored the final round for De La Hoya, his card would have read 114-114 and the fight would have been ruled a draw.

I know saying "well one of the judges had it for del la hoya and he is a professional judge" isn't saying much given corruption and given track record of judges not scoring things like 98% of the boxing world would....but just saying :lol

De La Hoya was the aggressor most of the fight which won him points to some people.

Last edited:
Oh okay, I gotcha :lol

Dude was hitting gloves and elbows for 6 rounds and the crowd was going wild :lol that drove me crazy the night of the fight.

trips me out that people wouldn't want to see pac man and mayweather still fight? arguably the two best of this generation would make for a great fight regardless

Oh okay, I gotcha :lol

Dude was hitting gloves and elbows for 6 rounds and the crowd was going wild :lol that drove me crazy the night of the fight.

i completely agree with you honestly but it was more to make a point that dude thinks cause JMM beat pac and floyd beat JMM that Floyd would handle pac easy. But yea the crowd was super pro DLH

trips me out that people wouldn't want to see pac man and mayweather still fight? arguably the two best of this generation would make for a great fight regardless

This....just as a spectator...as a fan of boxing....why wouldn't you want to watch it. I think we have discussed who would win Money or Pac like 1000000 times in here so i won't go there...but i would love to watch two great athletes go at it

i was clearly being sarcastic... id love to see a floyd and manny fight but its unrealistic on happening... and the fight would have been great in 09 not so much now but id still watch either way

This fight will never happen just because of the money split and what it could potentially do to Top Rank or GP.

Neither wants to see their cash cow lose, which could tilt a scale in there minds in terms of power.

Would be a great fight to see. I dont believe in comparing past oppenents for these 2 since both fight differently.

This fight would still be a huge draw, but Manny in his last fight not beiong able to put rios down iono. His speed was part of what made him scary but his punching power is what took him over the top.

I was expecting KO but was surprised when it didnt happen

This fight would still be a huge draw, but Manny in his last fight not beiong able to put rios down iono. His speed was part of what made him scary but his punching power is what took him over the top.

Rios' chin aint no joke. Some of those straight left Pac let go would have some boxers struggling

Rios' chin aint no joke. Some of those straight left Pac let go would have some boxers struggling

Pacquiao hasn't had the urge to stop anyone since he became a congressman and after the Margarito fight.

Pacquiao hasn't had the urge to stop anyone since he became a congressman and after the Margarito fight.
Im not sure man, that last fight against JMM, through all six rounds, he was coming in for the knockout.If it wasn't for that nice right by Marquez, Pacquiao could've won that fight with a knockout
pimp.gif

Im not sure man, that last fight against JMM, through all six rounds, he was coming in for the knockout.If it wasn't for that nice right by Marquez, Pacquiao could've won that fight with a knockout :hat

He could've done more damage to Bradley and Mosley. He wanted to shut up Marquez for good in their 4th match, but besides that he doesn't have the fire anymore. I hope he brings it back.

He could've done more damage to Bradley and Mosley. He wanted to shut up Marquez for good in their 4th match, but besides that he doesn't have the fire anymore. I hope he brings it back.

The same shots he was consistently firing were the same ones he was giving to cotto and margarito, both were bigger and have taken bigger punches from bigger punchers and he was unable to put rios down.

If he doesnt have the power to put guys down anymore that changes the dynamic of the potential fight with FLoyd. If FLoyd doesn't have to worry about exceptional power on the chance that might get hit by a big shot I dont see how Manny wins. Because it will become a boxing match.

Mannys biggest trump card as a fighter was the power he packed in those punches. Yes he has speed but his defense is all primed off footspeed not head movement.

If he is no longer a big puncher it doesnt look to good. I have yet to see him fight a true boxer/ counter puncher not named Marquez, and the trouble he has with that makes it hard for me to see him beat Floyd.But where he would have hope is if rounds were really close and we all know how active Manny is from start to finish so that could give him a shot in a close fight

I both enjoy what both have done for the sport, and would love to see it happen one day, but thats how I c it playing out.

^very true. The Ortiz ko was a joke as was the fight. Mayweather isn't knocking anyone out, especially with the problems he has in his hands. People want to count Manny out of the mega fight after 2 losses but what exactly did Ortiz, Guerrero, and Canelo do to get the fight? Two of them came off wins from Berto and one beat Trout who is on a Malinaggi Judah undercard. Marquez moved up in weight only to have Floyd NOT make the weight after a year layoff and people said he was back. Mosley was, well, def not in his prime although he almost rocked Floyd to the mat. The only meaningful, relevant fight Floyd has had in years was Cotto and Miguel gave him a tough fight. Before that I'd say Hatton was his last meaningful fight. Pacquiao and Mayweather can give each other their toughest test I believe. I think it can get done before Floyd's contract is up.

If you watch the Bradley/Pac fight with the sound off, without Jim lampleys biased Pac commentary in your ear, It becomes a lot closer than you think.

If you watch the Bradley/Pac fight with the sound off, without Jim lampleys biased Pac commentary in your ear, It becomes a lot closer than you think.

I scored the fight. Pac's inactivity in most of the round followed by a flury the last 30 seconds of the round, isn't going to win many rounds from me.

It's funny that people still criticize Mayweather's fight selection when Pacquiao has been built up in a very similar way.

He beat past their primes Barrera and Morales, a drained Cotto and De La Hoya, fought Hatton after he had gotten knocked out by Floyd, after being called out by Mosley fought him after Floyd beat him, fought Margarito after his L to Mosley, fought Clottey after an L to Cotto, and just fought Rios after his first L.

This is basically the same kind of match making that people try to criticize Mayweather for. This is what happens when the media is one sided due to their hate for one and love for the other.

They are both great fighters that shouldn't be discredited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom