Official 2013 NBA Draft Thread

My whole gripe was that you had the best college player available at that time within your grasps. They could've had Melo and Sheed and Tayshaun.

They made like five or six straight ECF with essentially a wasted pick.

Passing on Wade or Bosh I understand. They just did NOT want to develop or believe in Darko.

Passing on Wade or Bosh I understand. They just did NOT want to develop or believe in Darko.

Detroit was deeemed the luckiest team in the world at the time because of what was their current situation at the time (steadily dominating and rising) and still had the chance to add a superstar potential with Melo, Wade or Bosh. What a stupid franchise :smh:

But I blame Larry Brown - doesn't matter though because they came out as champs one way or another.

Sources: Mavs look to shop 13th pick

The Dallas Mavericks, with their first lottery draft pick in a dozen years firmly in hand, have their eyes on a bigger prize.

Multiple sources have told ESPN.com's Chad Ford the Mavs are likely to shop the pick in hopes of creating the cap space necessary to make a run at Dwight Howard in free agency.

The 13th overall pick has a cap hold of $1,655,300.

One of the Mavs' future first-round picks is already in the possession of the Oklahoma City Thunder. That pick, which is top-20-protected through 2017, was given up in the deal that brought Lamar Odom to Dallas.

The Los Angeles Lakers traded it to Houston along with Derek Fisher for Jordan Hill, and it then became part of the package the Rockets gave up for James Harden.

If the Mavs hold on to this year's pick, Ford projects them to select Croatian teenage small forward Dario Saric.

Dirk Nowitzki, who said he'd take a "significant pay cut" next summer, plans to join Mark Cuban, president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson and coach Rick Carlisle on the Mavs' recruiting committee this summer.

The hope is to sell Howard or Chris Paul -- who would each have to sacrifice a fifth year on the max contract that he could get from the Lakers and Clippers, respectively -- on the possibility of building a championship contender.

"We'd love to get one of the main guys," Nowitzki said last week. "It's going to be tough to get them out of the situation that they're in. I think that's pretty easy [to see]. I think both are in L.A., where you want to play basketball, and both are in great positions and situations. We'll just have to wait and see."

Howard has not publicly indicated whether he intends to re-sign with the Lakers when he becomes a free agent July 1 or explore opportunities with other teams. He can sign a five-year, $118 million max-level extension to stay in L.A., while the most he could receive if he left is a four-year deal worth $87.6 million.

Multiple sources with knowledge of Howard's thinking have told ESPNLosAngeles.com he is expected to entertain the free-agency process and hear competing offers.
Link

Pawn #13 and Shawn Marion? :nerd:

I can see the Cavs swapping with Dallas for the 13th; similar to last year's move with them. I'd assume we'd be taking someone's salary with it too.

19th and the 31st for the 13th sounds good for both sides though.

Last edited:
If Cuban really wants dwight, he needs to just give a suit case with that "fifth year" in it and be done with it.

I can see the Cavs swapping with Dallas for the 13th; similar to last year's move with them. I'd assume we'd be taking someone's salary with it too.

19th and the 31st for the 13th sounds good for both sides though.
Taking Marion would help both sides too (assuming the Cavs are serious about making a run at the playoffs next season).

Cavs get a starting small forward who expires in 2014 and the Mavs get more cap room this summer.

Taking Marion would help both sides too (assuming the Cavs are serious about making a run at the playoffs next season).

Cavs get a starting small forward who expires in 2014 and the Mavs get more cap room this summer.

Would Marion even want to play there? I could see him pulling a Bibby and ending up with the Heat. He's said he only wants to play for a contender at this point in his career.

5th year is irrelevant in LA....

Think about the money he's saving in taxes if he plays for one of the Texas teams?

I honestly think he's a lock for Houston.

Dwight, Asik, Parsons, Harden, Lin, etc....

They'd be almost locks for the WCF over the next couple of years.

Would Marion even want to play there? I could see him pulling a Bibby and ending up with the Heat. He's said he only wants to play for a contender at this point in his career.
Good point.

The real question is would he leave money on the table to go elsewhere?

Marion/#13 for #19, #31?

Do that without hesitation if I'm the Cavs

Take on Marion's contract .. He'd help out plus it doesn't hurt us being able to offer a max deal in 2014.

Plus it helps the Mavs out.

Cuban/Gilbert are buddies too.. I'm all for that :pimp:

The Mavs don't want picks. We suck at drafting anyways, so might as well get rid of them. :smh:

why would the mavs trade the draft pick for other draft picks if they trying to cut money?

Gotta read through this Mike, c'mon now man....

Bingo.

why would the mavs trade the draft pick for other draft picks if they trying to cut money?
It depends on how serious they are at making a run at Chris Paul and/or Dwight Howard.

Right now, they're slated to have between $16.1 million and $17.6 million of cap space. Taking Marion's $9.3 million for next season should create at least $25 million in cap space. Likely not enough for both Paul and Howard, but enough for one of them and another decent free agent.

If Cuban really wants dwight, he needs to just give a suit case with that "fifth year" in it and be done with it.

Then David Stern catches Cuban and keeps his nuts as a retirement gift.

minnesota basically screwed themselves with that joe smith fiasco
stern is retiring but he would still find a way to punish cuban for the next 5yrs

D12/CP3/Dirk would be a nasty trio damn.

Pretty sure the Mavs are very serious about making a splash this summer.

Dirk is going to be 35....

MUCH younger nucleus and talent on the Rockets. He has a larger window of opportunity with them than he does with the Mavs.

I didn't see Dirk deteriorating much at 35 after the numbers he put up being 34 years old and all....I think he has 2 solid years left.

Last edited:
Shooting is the last thing to go...As long as he can stay healthy, I think Dirk could play at a pretty damn high-level for the next few years.

Dirk is going to be 35....

MUCH younger nucleus and talent on the Rockets. He has a larger window of opportunity with them than he does with the Mavs.

Well no kidding, but if Paul went with him he'd have a better chance of winning a title immediately.

Rockets landing D12 doesn't solidify dominance at all even though they will be at the top of the west for years to come. They would be very good, though and Dwight should really consider going to Houston. young squad right there :smokin

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom