Official 2016 Boxing Thread: 11/5/2016 - Vargas/Pacquiao Top Rank PPV.

http://www.boxingscene.com/gennady-golovkin-extensive-interview-on-canelo-much-more--104427

GGG interview

roll.gif
 at the Froch shot.
laugh.gif

I read the other interview that was translated from his native tongue in addition to this one and it's pretty cool to finally get a bit of the real Golovkin. The media here focuses on the good guy Borat image over everything else.

- I guess you told them that Canelo has no choice but to keep his word given in the ring? - I've heard many times all these words about readiness to enter the ring and fight, but in the end few fighters are willing to take risks; they have other options, on which they are silent. Canelo is the only engine room of «Golden Boy». Talks on the weight limits and money are only talks. Many people realize that they will use every trick in the book to try to delay the fight. But this is a difficult situation for them. Canelo is being positioned as the best Mexican boxer but his fans more than anyone else insist on the fight. All people are interested in this super fight.

Anyone else catch that crawford/postol is on ppv? Nobody outside hardcore fans know who the **** either of these guys are.

I mentioned it a few pages back.

Bob Arum said the way the network contract is set up with HBO certain fighters are only allowed 2 fights on regular HBO throughout the year.

Crawford is supposed to fight 3 times this year so if what Bob said is true, we'll see him again at the end of the year on HBO (depending on who he fights).

Take it with a grain of salt since it came from Arum :lol:

I wonder if Uncle Robert will build the 40,000 person stadium for the Crawford fight? Assuming Crawford wins I could see a situation where Uncle Robert won't have him fight on regular HBO for most of his fights going forward.

A bit bias, but what the youtube owner don't acknowledge is GGG has the best jab in the game and one of the hardest jabs. His jabs will be key to prevent Canelo from trying to get a good offense in. Canelo doesn't even have a good jab or even jabs much at all. He didn't do that for the Khan fight. GGG also has a chin and never respects anyones power so far so I doubt he'll respect light MW Canelo's.

Honestly I think David Lemieux can beat Canelo and maybe Curtis Stevens can beat Canelo too.

I agree with all this but I think he has to respect Canelos power a bit if they ever do fight. GGG has a chin for sure but still.

Canelo's a world class fighter who deserves to be a world champion (tho not at middleweight). And he's capable of beating a lot of the top guys in the sport. But he is and always has been a plodder. He's got good timing and punching power, but he basically plods forward or backward slowly, or stays in place to counter. It's why Lara was able to have a close fight with him (which he could've won very easily if he threw 5-10 punches more a rd), why Floyd completely blanked him 12-0 in an incredibly one sided fight, and why Khan, with no defense, was able to have any kind of success with him. He has stands in the center of the ring and walks around or waits to counter (and he is a good counter puncher). Great for James Kirkland, bad for anyone w/ boxing skills (who isn't considerably smaller than him, like Cotto and Khan). Hes got a punchers chance like any fighter in their prime does, but with the boxing skills GGG has, let alone the power, and with him finally fighting someone his size, I can't imagine that fight going well for him.

And even if Canelo takes a L, and maybe even gets stopped, we need to stop hating on these fighters so much whenever they ever lose. It's the reason why everyone wants to fight Rod Salkas, and no one takes risks. One loss doesn't make someone a lifelong loser. Idk any sport but boxing where a guy loses once and everyone acts like his entire career was a farce. You can be a world champ, top 5 in ur weight class and lose with dignity. I hope he steps up to the plate, but who knows if GBP lets him. They can make a lot more money taking on more welterweights.

And in regards to the discussion above, I do think Lemieux would probably beat Canelo but it'd be a very good and competitive fight. I don't think Curtis Stevens has the footwork or lets his hands go enough and would probably lose by decision. I hate to hold it against him, bc he's tough, powerful, and has some skills, but the Lara fight really made me feel like he's not an elite figher.

Last edited:
Canelo's a world class fighter who deserves to be a world champion (tho not at middleweight). And he's capable of beating a lot of the top guys in the sport. But he is and always has been a plodder. He's got good timing and punching power, but he basically plods forward or backward slowly, or stays in place to counter. It's why Lara was able to have a close fight with him (which he could've won very easily if he threw 5-10 punches more a rd), why Floyd completely blanked him 12-0 in an incredibly one sided fight, and why Khan, with no defense, was able to have any kind of success with him. He has stands in the center of the ring and walks around or waits to counter (and he is a good counter puncher). Great for James Kirkland, bad for anyone w/ boxing skills (who isn't considerably smaller than him, like Cotto and Khan). Hes got a punchers chance like any fighter in their prime does, but with the boxing skills GGG has, let alone the power, and with him finally fighting someone his size, I can't imagine that fight going well for him.

And even if Canelo takes a L, and maybe even gets stopped, we need to stop hating on these fighters so much whenever they ever lose. It's the reason why everyone wants to fight Rod Salkas, and no one takes risks. One loss doesn't make someone a lifelong loser. Idk any sport but boxing where a guy loses once and everyone acts like his entire career was a farce. You can be a world champ, top 5 in ur weight class and lose with dignity. I hope he steps up to the plate, but who knows if GBP lets him. They can make a lot more money taking on more welterweights.

And in regards to the discussion above, I do think Lemieux would probably beat Canelo but it'd be a very good and competitive fight. I don't think Curtis Stevens has the footwork or lets his hands go enough and would probably lose by decision. I hate to hold it against him, bc he's tough, powerful, and has some skills, but the Lara fight really made me feel like he's not an elite figher.

a9c.png

Water Runs Dry,

I agree with what you're saying about how as boxing fans we shouldn't bury guys after losses and how our treatment of guys after losses is part of the reason why fighters don't want to take risky fights. I also think your assessment of Canelo is spot on. Excellent post.

Been saying your second paragraph for the longest time. People look at Ali as the greatest and dude had L's. IDK why we have to hold "And 0" to such a high regard. This day and age it means you are good but haven't fought tough fights if you some how managed to get that far in your career without catching an L.

Either way if Canelo GGG happens im paying money for it. I haven't said that in forever...prob since Pac JMM 2.

Been saying your second paragraph for the longest time. People look at Ali as the greatest and dude had L's. IDK why we have to hold "And 0" to such a high regard. This day and age it means you are good but haven't fought tough fights if you some how managed to get that far in your career without catching an L.

Either way if Canelo GGG happens im paying money for it. I haven't said that in forever...prob since Pac JMM 2.

When dudes were hating on Broner after his L's it was warranted. I just think dudes dont think Canelo is that good and he's playing the system to his advantage as well as advantage on smaller guys...also they think dudes like Danny Garcia are ducking and holding out plus he hasn't looked good at all in his last fights and fought a Paulie who was already done. Also what his father said was disgusting :x

I get not fighting a tough opponent if the money isn't right but some of the ducking is ridiculous. Danny would rather fight Paulie for 2 mil than make atleast triple that for a big fight.

Shane Mosley ‏@ShaneMosley_  34m34 minutes ago
Y'all didn't know Canelo GGG was finalized? It's a done deal. You heard it first here. My fight is May 28th. Canelo/GGG fight is Sep 17th[emoji]128293[/emoji]

Shane Mosley ‏@ShaneMosley_  34m34 minutes ago

Y'all didn't know Canelo GGG was finalized? It's a done deal. You heard it first here. My fight is May 28th. Canelo/GGG fight is Sep 17th[emoji]128293[/emoji]

is this real life? Do we have other confirmation? Cause im starting to get excited

and yes...you are right floyd def has a whole lot to do with this perception

Back
Top Bottom