OFFICIAL 2016 RIO SUMMER OLYMPICS THREAD (Rio is a wrap; See you in Tokyo in 2020 (or, more likely,i

Big fan of the Olympics.

Glad to see the focus is on the athletes and not the drama of Brazil anymore like during the lead up to the Games.

Table tennis is insane. I'd ducking for cover with the way they play.

The womens cycling event is the best one I've seen so far. The US was in the lead, only to lose it the 50 yards or so.

All in all very interesting Olympics.

The stuff that female gymnasts do on the balance beam absolutely boggles my mind. I might have trouble just walking across it, let alone doing a bunch of flips and **** on it. Crazy.
man.. that whole sport is insane to me..

but it irks the hell out of me that it is judged, really all sports that are judged irk the hell out of me.. i think you should have the ability to 'win ugly' without the bias of judges.. you got people pulling off stuff that 99.whatever % of the world cant even dream of doing and you're taking of points for the slightest things.. and especially when you look at the stuff that was being done wayyyyyyy back when, like:

and

and then you got to set an age limit because of the advantage younger girls have

just blows my mind

Can't wait for the T&F events.
pimp.gif

Wanna see what Usain does and if Team Bahamas can medal again.
Arianna has an outside chance of medaling in the 50 free, going be rough though if sjostrom swims it though (cause you go the campbel sisters from Australia and weir from the us too)

but shaunae been solid in the 400.. and hopefully our men's 4 x 4 can be solid again

Last edited:
Can't wait for the T&F events. :pimp:

Wanna see what Usain does and if Team Bahamas can medal again.

I thought Queen Harrison has qualified for something. She tweeted "on the way to Rio" then "only for support since my road to racing has been cut short" :stoneface: :stoneface:

phelps already has 1 gold and has a chance for 5 more

(3 individual and maybe 2 relays.. maybe 2, cause he might not swim the 4 x 200 free relay.. it's up to him if he swims it, cause the team really doesn't need him need him like they did last night and his personal coach his the head men's team coach.. each of his individual events he has to swim 3 times, so he just might take a break from that relay)

he'll be favored in his 3 individual events, 1 & 2 fly and the 2 IM.. but the flys could be tight (with chad le clos and Laszlo cseh in the 200fly.. then add joseph schooling and tom shields to the mix for the 100)

- 2 IM he has a strong shot of breaking the WR.. lochte could challenge since it's his only individual event, but I see him and the guy from japan who won the 4 IM (hagino) battling for silver

the 2 relays, the US should win easily.. they have to pretty much just not get disqualified

he has a shot of winning the 100 fly and 200 IM in 4 straight Olympics (he got silver to le clos in London in the 200 fly)

- think he needs just 1 more individual medal to tie for the most 'individual medals' won and 2 to break the record

Last edited:
not going lie, I hope phelps swims the 4 x 200 free relay and is the leadoff swimmer..

would be cool to see him register a faster team leading off the relay than the person who won the individual event (the 200 free final is tonight for men).. leading off is a flat start, whereas the other spots get a rolling start which gives you about .5-1 sec advantage and doesn't really count as an official time.. the leadoff of any relay can break the individual world record (which wont happen, but still)

that was won of the events he won in Beijing.. but dropped that and the 4 IM in London and here

not going lie, I hope phelps swims the 4 x 200 free relay and is the leadoff swimmer..

would be cool to see him register a faster team leading off the relay than the person who won the individual event (the 200 free final is tonight for men).. leading off is a flat start, whereas the other spots get a rolling start which gives you about .5-1 sec advantage and doesn't really count as an official time.. the leadoff of any relay can break the individual world record (which wont happen, but still)

that was won of the events he won in Beijing.. but dropped that and the 4 IM in London and here

Phelps' turn on that men's 4x100 relay :x

Ledecky is just ridiculous. it wasn't even close. a full body length in front of the WR. and she's up and celebrating before the next person even finishes. just filthy :lol:

swimming is a rough sport as you get older.. the wear and tear on your body aint no joke.. sure you can get stronger and benefit in other ways

but it takes its toll.. and you get burnt out quick, because the in pool training is really really REALLY monotonous (well I should say more so for certain events, but especially mid distance to distance events) .. probably why lochte switched form training at UF and went to the club he swims  now (swimmac Carolina)

and sun was doping, life is a little harder after you get caught and/or are not using anymore.. same with a couple other guys
Phelps' turn on that men's 4x100 relay
sick.gif
this is a prefect example for those not that familiar with swimming of missy's biggest problem..

her starts, turns and underwater dolphin kicks are so poor, everyone basically does to her what phelps did

Last edited:

swimming is a rough sport as you get older.. the wear and tear on your body aint no joke.. sure you can get stronger and benefit in other ways

but it takes its toll.. and you get burnt out quick, because the in pool training is really really REALLY monotonous (well I should say more so for certain events, but especially mid distance to distance events) .. probably why lochte switched form training at UF and went to the club he swims  now (swimmac Carolina)

and sun was doping, life is a little harder after you get caught.. same with a couple other guys

it's a body composition thing

as a sprinter, you can actually go to you're older because you're focusing on different things and your workouts are very different.. think training for the 100 vs training for the 800 or 1500 in track

you're maybe in the gym a little more, your yardage isn't anywhere near as high, workouts in the pool aren't that long and hell don't even have to do as many workouts as other guys.. you're focusing more on pure strength and power.. while with the others you cant bulk up too much because then that is weight you have to carry with you.. also have to think about muscle fatigue and stroke efficiency and all that jazz

phelps is probably the fastest he has even been in a pure sprint right now (25-50 meters).. but he probably wouldn't be able to come within 2-3 seconds of his best 400 IM or couple other more taxing events

like he'll probably go his fastest non super suit 100 fly in this Olympics, because he has more power.. but he wont be able to go his fastest 200 fly or 200 free, but he is still better than everyone else (just not as much as he was before)

while I'd say the 400 IM is probably the most taxing event in swimming.. I wouldn't put the 2 IM anywhere near that category, also helps that his work load is a lot lighter (which usually isn't the case.. and why I think he can break the WR)

Last edited:

it's a body composition thing

as a sprinter, you can actually go to you're older because you're focusing on different things and your workouts are very different.. think training for the 100 vs training for the 800 or 1500 in track

you're maybe in the gym a little more, your yardage isn't anywhere near as high, workouts in the pool aren't that long and hell don't even have to do as many workouts as other guys.. you're focusing more on pure strength and power.. while with the others you cant bulk up too much because then that is weight you have to carry with you.. also have to think about muscle fatigue and stroke efficiency and all that jazz

phelps is probably the fastest he has even been in a pure sprint right now (25-50 meters).. but he probably wouldn't be able to come within 2-3 seconds of his best 400 IM or couple other more taxing events

like he'll probably go his fastest non super suit 100 fly in this Olympics, because he has more power.. but he wont be able to go his fastest 200 fly or 200 free, but he is still better than everyone else (just not as much as he was before)

while I'd say the 400 IM is probably the most taxing event in swimming.. I wouldn't put the 2 IM anywhere near that category, also helps that his work load is a lot lighter (which usually isn't the case.. and why I think he can break the WR)

It sucks that Gabby Douglas got eliminated from the individual all around event even though she finished in the third spot since you can only bring two people from each country.

**** sucks, that's a trash rule.

Should only be about who's the best, wanted to see Gabby v Simone in the final.

But who are we kidding anyway? Simone winning by a mile.

going into London, he wasn't really training that hard.. and you cant really blame him after what dude did in Beijing

and probably should have cut at least the 4 IM but maybe the 2 fly as well.. the 4 IM is the first day and takes ALOT out of you

le clos and Lazlo Czech will give him some serious competition in the 2 fly.. but I think he's in better shape this go around than in London

in the 100 fly, le clos, Czech, joseph schooling and shields will give him some serious competition and it'll be a great race.. but I think the added power (and a bit more rest) will be huge for him in this.. cause this is on the 2nd to last day

In the 2 IM, phelps and lochte are the only guys that have ever gone under 1:55.. and lochte is actually older than phelps and not as well rounded as phelps (hell, no one is).. like phelps has the WR in the 100 fly and 4IM (and had the American record in the 100 free).. they both were mid distance guys at heart, but phelps was just great at everything (aside from a 50 free)

and phelps went under 1:55 just last year at US nationals, while lochte hasn't done it in couple years.. the WR is 1:54.00
no one is THAT heavy of a favorite on the men's side.. manaudou of france is probably the favorite in the 50 (a couple guys are up there.. mcevoy, both US guys, a Brazilian guy).. Cameron mcevoy is more of a clearer favorite the 100, but I could see Adrian getting him

Nathan Adrian had the fastest 100 split on the relay last night, slightly faster than mcevoy

Last edited:
Jesus Christ Hosszu is ridiculous :x :x :x,she just destroyed the field again on her way to another Olympic record in the 200m medley heat just now

Last edited:
Jesus Christ Hosszu is ridiculous :x :x :x,she just destroyed the field again on her way to another Olympic record in the 200m medley heat just now

They need to stop acting like her husband is the one solely responsible for her success.

I will say, it is very suspect that she gets a new coach and "strength" program and suddenly goes from mediocre to beyond world class beyond her prime age.

Her husbands methods definitely seem suspect but I agree,she should be getting more credit than she's been getting for the dominant fashion she's come out of the gate at these games,looking like Beijing Phelps out there :x

Last edited:
The chinese girl from london who came out of no where prior to those games.. and fallen back to earth after was mad suspect

Her final 100 of the 4IM was faster then all of the men.. that includes phelps and lochte

That is why it is always funny when people would be ahead of that line for first 300

But she was 10 seconds slower on just that final 100 this olympics

Katinka didnt completely come out of nowhere, since she was winning gold medals on the world stage from '09.. but i do think she is on something because i dont think she is THIS good

She should have done better in 2012, but choose her schedule poorly and it killed her

Like ledecky and phelps were both olympians from very young, where it would be natural to see the level of improvement that they had/have as their body develops.. the base was there.. like with adam peaty

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom