Official 2017-2018 Knicks season thread

I still don't know what kind of team we are. On one hand, if THJ, KP, and Kanter were healthy for all the games we could've been like 20-10. On the other hand we won ~5 games from 10+ point comebacks and a majority of our games have been at home.

I still think we're overachieving, but who knows. Tough team to judge.

My random prediction: I see 38-42 wins.

KP is going to get worn out and Hardaway Jr. isn't a second option. Road games in January are gonna kill us and we'll probably make a late run around April to try and rebound. Heart and grit can only get you so far. Eventually you need talent to seal the deal and we are short on that.

Def can’t judge to our potential until Tim comes back

He helps take the heat off of KP a little bit and became our bonefied second option relatively quick

As of now I can def see us hanging on to that 8th seed and hopefully suffering to a gentleman’s sweep in the first round

Getting a single playoff win at home would move mountains for our young core

I think we’re overachieving and there’s nothing wrong with that. Build confidence in the core group for upcoming seasons. Hopefully we can get more talent and really make some noise.

I want a top 6 pick or a top 6 seed. Making the playoffs as the 8th seed wouldnt be a good look imo.

There's gonna end up being just a few games difference between the 5-8 seeds anyways, imo. The gap will widen from now but probably not that much. Will come down to the last couple of weeks.

28-34 wins, 7-10 pick in the draft. Book it.

IMO you are being delusional if you think the Knicks will finish with a better record than any team currently ahead of us in the East standings and Philly/Miami.

27-32 wins, 6-8 pick in the draft. Book it.
MELO FINGER WAG.gif

This team has a 2-9 road record with 1 of those 2 coming in Brooklyn. Basically 1.5-9 on the road. Early in the season that road record is much more telling about who you truly are as a team than your home record is, especially when you have played as many home games as we have thus far. Eventually those road games even out and once you get the confidence beaten out of you on the road, the home wins become harder to come by as well.

Knicks last season had a 16-13 record heading into Christmas and a more impressive (but still pretty bad) 5-9 road record and finished with 31 wins and the 7th pick. We finished with 32 wins the year before despite carrying an above .500 record into January.

Winning games in November/December is easy when you have predominantly home games and you still have that early season confidence/hope. Good teams can win games outside of having that early season home adrenaline.

We saw how fast it can crumble once that early season hope gets beaten down by January/February the last 2 seasons. We've had a cupcake schedule thus far that's led to a flukey good record IMO.

Honestly, who have we really beaten? Our most impressive wins thus far have probably been Toronto or Indiana at home considering how bad Cleveland was when we beat them on the road. Most of our road losses have been blow outs while many of our home games have been major 4th quarter comebacks. We have lost to almost every good team we have played and have losses to ******* Atlanta and the Bulls on the road. Not good!

I'm not buying this team being any different from the past 2 Knicks teams with that atrocious road record. They might even be worse to be honest.

Only teams in the NBA I think are definitively worse than us this season are Bulls, Hawks, Nets, Dallas, Sactown, Phoenix, Lakers. I'm not saying we are worse than all the others but I won't say any of them are definitively worse than us either.

Regardless, I don't see this team being in the playoff hunt by the All-Star break let alone actually being a playoff team. And that's fine honestly, I don't have those kind of expectations right now. I'm more interested in Porzingis maintaining being one of the best players in the NBA for an entire season and seeing consistent improvement from Frank than winning right now.

Last edited:
Not that I think the team will become some dynamo on the road but instead of just pointing to thier road record lets actually look at the loss. OKC,BOS,TOR,HOUS,IND are those not expected losses? ORL and CHAR with no KP do we expect this bunch to win on the road with out their leader. In reality the only 2 real bad road losses are to ATL and CHI who btw haven't loss since. With that being said I think we wont be as good at home so it will even it out some.

Mikal Bridges, Kevin Knox, Collin Sexton, and Hami Diallo are all in our pick range right now

I'd love Michael Porter or Miles Bridges but I don't think we'll be bad enough for them

Knicks this year remind me a lot of my Seahawks in their younger days (now regressing), where they have a great homefield advantage but absolutely suck on the road.

Not that I think the team will become some dynamo on the road but instead of just pointing to thier road record lets actually look at the loss. OKC,BOS,TOR,HOUS,IND are those not expected losses? ORL and CHAR with no KP do we expect this bunch to win on the road with out their leader. In reality the only 2 real bad road losses are to ATL and CHI who btw haven't loss since. With that being said I think we wont be as good at home so it will even it out some.
Context B.

The 5 games you mentioned were all routs at the most, not ever in question at the least. Pretty sure if you calculated the math the Knicks were down by 25+ in those games for like 75% more of the time they were within single digits. The closest of the bunch to being a ballgame was OKC, where we kept it within striking distance for the first 20 minutes of the game.

So yes, good teams, but it's not exactly like we fought tooth and nail with them and just didn't have the talent or experience to close them out on the road.

No KP for Orlando and Charlotte but 2 more games the Knicks didnt even decide to show up for. It's not like they were some hard fought gritty losses without KP, and neither of those teams are good either.

And the only 2 "real bad road losses" just happen to be against the 2 worst teams in the NBA, also the only 2 losses that were even remotely close games, with KP playing for both, and no wins otherwise that would prove those games being flukey.

The Knicks have one road win when they were trying to salvage their season from crumbling before it even started against a Cleveland team that played with 0 cohesion and looked like they couldnt care less, and against Brooklyn, an awful team in an atmosphere that is essentially MSG-lite.

So yeah, when you put that **** into context, it's much different than putting it the way you just did.

Last edited:
That's what great about sports at the end of the season we can see the results, if you expect 6-8 roads wins or however little that is great I expect that the team will be more cohesive barring sustained injury and will more likely win 10-12. I don't believe this is a great team but its not last years team either, Rose has shown he is an actual net negative that even LeBron couldn't do much about as you can see with their play now that he is gone and Melo while being our best player his style of play was not conducive to winning in NY. So if this team struggles it not the same as those from previous years.

Barring an injury we're def winning more than 32 games. Not going 15-35 the rest of the way.

This team is nothing like the last 2 years.Less cancers and much better defensively/offensively. They'll learn how to win on the road.

Back
Top Bottom