Official 2017-2018 Knicks season thread

For all you Euro experts. How can a Euro player play in the NBA without declaring themselves for the draft? Kind of like Pablo or Kuz. So what I'm getting at is if I'm a Euro player and just say in November I'm like "F it I want to go to the NBA" can a team sign me?

For all you Euro experts. How can a Euro player play in the NBA without declaring themselves for the draft? Kind of like Pablo or Kuz. So what I'm getting at is if I'm a Euro player and just say in November I'm like "F it I want to go to the NBA" can a team sign me?
Euro players still have to declare for the draft in order to be drafted just like any other prospect coming into the League. That's actually a very solid point you bring up about Pablo and Kuz. I can't really think of a reason why Doncic couldn't just circumvent the draft/rookie contract and hold out to free agency like Pablo or Kuz, but because of who he is he could easily demand $10+ mil and sign with a team of his choosing in free agency. I gotta look into the details on that one. :lol:

I might be mistaken but I think it's probably because Pablo/Kuz and I'm assuming other Euro players who signed with NBA teams later in their careers as free agents, entered the NBA draft in the past and went undrafted, making them free agents. I think Doncic would have to enter the draft, but of course he wouldn't go undrafted. Pretty sure that's why but I could be wrong.

What I do know is that it's probably not possible for Doncic to do that because I'm sure he has smart people who know all that **** on his side and he, like every other top rated Euro prospect before him, has declared for the NBA draft. However, he can still pull a Rubio and threaten to stay overseas if he doesn't want to be drafted by a certain team. However, as in the Rubio case, the team that drafted him still holds onto his rights and if Doncic ever wanted to play in the League he would be forced to go to the team that drafted him unless they traded his rights.

Of...

MPJ
Trae
WCJ
Bamba
Sexton
Mikal
Miles
Knox
SGA
LW4
Zhaire

The only players I'd want absolutely no part of are WCJ, Knox, and SGA. 9 is probably too early for LW4 and Zhaire but I'm intrigued by both.

I don't love MPJ or Trae, I agree there is a lot of risk attached to both, but I also agree with people who say they might have too much upside not to gamble on with the 9th pick. I don't think either falls that far though.

Mikal is still my pick unless Bamba falls to us by some miracle

I get he’s a little older but we’re also not looking for him to be the face of a franchise either

He has the tools and skill set to be a legitimate starter and contributor which is what we need from a young wing

I feel like Mikal would be better for a team like the Sixers or Nuggets that already have a couple established scorers

Gotcha. Thought it was much earlier, was hoping Kanter opts out before the draft.

Look at Mikal's improvements. He drastically improved with not that much of a minute bump. When a player improves that much, it's a good sign (look at Mitchell at Louisville). There's IQ, 3pt shooting, and defense here. Probably no star power, but realistically a really good 3rd option. Maybe a better Tayshaun Prince.

On the other hand, Miles brings too much toughness/rebounding/playmaking to pass up on. He can probably guard 2s, 3s and 4s and would literally be an ideal fit next to KP.

Hope we get this one right.

As of now, I agree, I still think Mikal is my guy. I'm very torn between him and Miles, who's motor/athleticism I think gives him more upside at the NBA level (although I think Mikal's upside is underrated); and I really like Sexton alot, but Mikal seems to fit exactly what we are looking for.

Mikal is a versatile, defensive minded wing with a huge wingspan. He can play either forward position and can realistically guard 1-4. He was deadly from outside this season and despite his older age, his offensive game/repertoire seems to be rapidly improving.

He stepped up huge late in the season, especially during the Big East tournament where he flashed not only the ability to knock down big shots, but a developing ability to create his own offense and shoot off the dribble. There were moments late in the season where he looked like a baby KD, showing that he at least has the potential to be more than a shooter offensively, but worst case he'll always have his shot and athleticism to fall back on, giving him a high floor.

And not that it matters as much, but he's a tough East coast kid from Philly who stepped up big time on the big stage at MSG. Also extremely coachable and a hard *** worker by all accounts, who came up through a really tough-love developmental system under Jay Wright at Nova, compared to most other prospects who came in as superstars from day 1. Mikal had to work his way up from young role player on a championship team 2 years ago to the star of another championship team this year.

That can be seen as a positive as much as it's perceived as a negative due to his age. Many players during the one and done era who took a more developmental path in college have been able to continue down that path in the NBA and became big time. Guys like Harden, Steph, Kawhi, Hayward, Lillard, CJ, Klay, Butler, Oladipo, Draymond, Middleton, Brogdon, Rozier, Mitchell, etc. (and most of those guys weren't as successful as Mikal in college or regarded as high as a draft prospect). Of course there is always the risk of drafting Wes Johnson 2.0 but Mikal has rapidly developed his game year by year and I think that shows a lot more about him that his age.

It's a tough call and a lot of it depends on who is on the board. But Mikal has been my guy and I don't think that has changed.

EDIT: ballinsam23 ballinsam23 like the Tayshaun Prince comparison. Haven't heard that one for Mikal but I could definitely see that.

I see Mikal as being more of a Trevor Ariza type, which I'm cool with. If we do end up drafting him, and he ends up being an athletic 3 and D player that can also get his own shots when needed, I'd be 100% fine with that.

I also like Carter's upside and playing style offensively. Him and KP both can play inside and shoot the 3, so pick and roll/fade all day with either.

his wingspan cant be any worse than zeke... too early too call him a bust just based off that... if we got sexton or mikal ill be happy... but if both are available and we pass :stoneface:

Measurements are out. Young is 6’0 with a 6’3 wingspan. That has bust written all over it. Bamba has a 9’8 reach. Need that!!!

http://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/
6'0 / 6'3 :sick:

That's worse than Jalen Brunson and it's hard to say he's more athletic either, although he does have that Steph Curry deceptive quickness along with elite ball handling skill.

Dude better be the next Steph if he plans to be even a legit starter. He'll always have a spot in the League at the very least in a Eddie House type-roll, but definitely super boom/bust potential.

EDIT: Somehow WCJ has a shorter standing reach than most 2-guards... HARD pass

I feel like WCJ's standing reach has to be a mistake. Doesn't make sense for a player with his size and his wingspan to have such a short standing reach. Maybe it was meant to be 8'11 and not 7'11... According to this chart WCJ's standing reach is a half inch shorter than Trae Young's and somehow I'm not buying that. :rofl:

Miles Bridges measurements:

Height w/o shoes: 6'5.25
Height w/ shoes: 6'6.75
Wingspan: 6'9.5
Standing reach: 8'7.5
Hand length: 9
Hand width: 9.75
Weight: 220.4
Body fat: 5.9%

Kevin Knox measurements:

Height w/o shoes: 6'7.75
Height w/ shoes: 6'9
Wingspan: 6'11.75
Standing reach: 9'0
Hand length: 8.75
Hand width: 9.25
Weight: 212.6
Body fat: 4.95%

No thanks to Knox. He seems so disinterested most of the time. Plus his defense type suspect.

What’s the measurements on Mikal?

Back
Top Bottom