OFFICIAL 2017 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD - Spring Game schedule on first page

Who is going to win the Pac 12 this season?

• USC

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Stanford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Washington

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Oregon

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • UCLA

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Wazzu

• Utah

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Colorado

• Oregon St

• Cal

• Arizona St

• Arizona

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Max Browne splitting 1st team reps with Pitt's rFR QB. He may not win that job either...

Why wouldn't he be splitting reps? Coaching staff can't just hand the job over to him (plus they have a new OC), have to have at least some sort of 'competition'. Jarrett Stidham didn't get all the 1st team reps when the spring started @ Auburn, he had to 'battle' w/ White & Franklin (though it looks like he is receiving most of them now)

I think it's a 50/50 split and it's a surprise because the reason Pitt went after Browne, and the reason why most people thought it was a good move for him to commit there, was the belief that they didn't have a QB on the roster. By the accounts I saw, he's not just splitting reps but he's being pushed by the freshman.

But I get what you're saying.

Last edited:
I can see that. I'd agree that I would have thought that he would be getting more than 50/50 snaps by now, depending on how far into the spring session they are.

Maybe it's just a matter of time though

Last edited:
These kids are fickle. I won't believe it till they sign on the dotted line. Not saying he'll flip, but it happens more than I'd like. I feel bad for programs at times.

Agreed, but I think he'll stick barring something happening to Schiano & Larry Johnson

According to Sirius XM/Reddit/a now deleted tweet

Brian Kelly: "DeShone Kizer should still be in college. Needs more time to grow on & off field. He isn't complete yet."

Outside of the "off the field" part, I don't really have a problem with that statement especially if Kizer ends up being a mid rounder.

Whether that's his opinion or not, saying that on national radio 3 weeks before the draft is a classic Brian Kelly move. Hope coaches use that to negative recruit against him.

Sounds like something in the same vein to what Pete Carrol said about Sanchez

I think it was wrong when Pete did it too. Regardless of your opinions on the matter, when a player whose given his body to helping you and your program make millions decides he's ready to begin his professional career, then your job is to help put him in the best position to succeed.

Undercutting his draft prospects with pettiness is not that.

Thomas Goldkamp‏Verified account @ThomasGoldkamp  Apr 3
 Sources: #Gators, Malik Zaire have mutual interest. But there's hurdle to overcome for UF to take a grad transfer - http://florida.247sports.com/Articl...-Dame-QB-Malik-Zaire-have-mutual-int-52118687
 Sam Spiegelman‏Verified account @samspiegs  Mar 30
 Kardell Thomas may be an elite OL, but he prefers athlete

Watch the #LSU commit dial up his speed in this clip | http://sec.news/2onoiVU 
sick.gif

Dan Murphy‏ @DanMurphyESPN  21h21 hours ago
 The Big Ten got rid of two Northwestern Friday night games on the 2017 schedule.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal.../northwestern-friday-games-switched-saturdays
  A conference official told ESPN on Monday that moving forward, the league is likely to scale back even further to two or three Friday night games after the opening week per year.

What BK said is the kinda stuff you say to scouts/GM's etc when you're on the phone or discussing them. You have to be more honest w/ those guys.

Not something you say to the public at large. Haven't read or heard the whole quote/statement though.

Bruce Feldman‏Verified account @BruceFeldmanCFB  37m37 minutes ago
 Urban Meyer says his 2015 OSU recruiting class was a "misfit class ..not a good class but good thing is they're allowed to change & buy in."

Another perspective on BK:
Before this thread really takes a turn for anti-BK circle jerk I think it's worth pointing out that this is a paraphrase, not a direct quote. From another interview:  “Everybody’s under the same pressure of performing and needing somebody to come in right away,” Kelly said. “But I think he’s a guy that just needs some time. So if he gets in the right situation I think he’d be the guy to take.”  Probably a better dictation of his sentiments.

The whole "Brian Kelly hates his players" meme has gotten out of control. After the Duke loss at home last year Kelly said  "Every position- all 22 of them- will be evaluated. Each and every position. There is no position that's untouchable on this football team. That's the quarterback all the way down to- maybe the long snapper's okay. We're not gonna touch him. But everybody else is vulnerable."  He's trying to wake up his entire team, but Reddit turned that into BK throwing Kizer under the bus.

After the NC State hurricane loss:  "We're looking for wins, not improvement on one side of the ball or the other," Kelly said. "Although, I was very pleased with our physicality, toughness and tackling. I'm just extremely disappointed in the offensive execution and lack of ability to manage the snapping of the football -- which was atrocious as well."  The snapping  in question. Don't get me wrong, ND should have run the ball more than 38 times in a god damn hurricane, but that game plan would have been enough for a W without a pair of fumbled red zone snaps and a lazily protected punt blocked for a TD. Kelly also followed that up by  coaching up the center in practice  to actually fix the problem.

Kelly wants to run his team like Belichick but can't really do that with the media circus of Notre Dame. He won't publicly praise anyone who doesn't deserve it, and last season he had to try every motivational method he could to make up for poor fourth quarter conditioning and a DC whose scheme, coaching, and recruiting philosophy boiled down to "moar blitz." Last season was unacceptable and nobody knew that more than BK, which is why he tried to light a fire under players' ***** when their play wasn't up to par. I still think Kelly is the best person to lead this program, especially with some home run hires (imo) at DC, OC/TE, ST and S&C and some serious promise showing in recruiting. Plus it looks like he's going to shift toward being more of a player's coach after listening to the team. I don't expect to see him dancing in the locker room or tucking every player into bed like I assume Dabo does, but he's already spending more time with the players and really establishing the culture of the program.

We'll see once the final product is on the field in September, but I'm hoping we can finally put this whole "BK is so mean" thing to bed.
I had to stop when I got to the Duke comment...he totally threw Kizer under the bus with that, saying his position was up for grabs...right after Kizer throws for his career high and led the team in rushing. Kelly said that the only player that played with 'fire' that day was Dexter Williams who was rewarded with 5 touches. Kelly thinks the ND fan base are idiots.

Last edited:
 Zach Barnett‏ @zach_barnett  23h23 hours ago
 Les Miles says he still wants to coach, has a great line for recruiting his son 

http://footballscoop.com/news/les-miles-want-coach-football/
WKU's leading scorer and rebounder Justin Johnson is giving football a try at TE for WKU's FB team this spring.  Has one year of eligibility left in basketball and probably two in football. 

Last edited:
@USC_Athletics

USC football captain  @CaliHutch_17  is pursuing a career in real estate instead of the NFL.

Let him tell you why:
[h1]Trojan Tribune: Michael Hutchings[/h1]
By Jordan Moore on April 4, 2017 11:49 AM | No Comments

Written by Michael Hutchings, USC football senior captain

I have always been real.

My parents were like that with me as a child. They wanted me to be realistic with myself and set realistic goals.

After college football, I knew that my NFL chances were slim to none, so I just played my odds and decided to pursue another profession that motivates me. I would be more of a free agent type, which would put me behind. I just figured I'd get ahead by starting my commercial real estate career in investment sales at 21-years-old instead of waiting until I was 23 or 24. 

Once I made that decision, accepting a job offer in the middle of my senior season, it freed me up. I was good. I was relaxed. I had my plan set for after school, and I just played. I was playing with zero pressure. I was just playing football and having fun because I knew it was my last few games playing football.

It could not have worked out any better. My final college tackle was 3rd-and-4 in the Rose Bowl, stopping Saquon Barkley in the backfield, and forcing a punt that led to the game-tying drive. To go out as a captain, win the Rose Bowl and just the season we had, it was a dream.

I want to stay around USC and stay involved still with the athletic program, with football. I really used the game as a platform. I want to relay that message to everyone that goes through here. There's 85-90% of us that don't go to the NFL. Let's use it as a platform to still be successful even if you don't fulfill your ultimate dream of playing professionally. Let's still be successful in the business world.

That's definitely why you choose USC and that's what they preach to you during recruiting. I did not really see it until I was proactive going on an internship hunt and going on a job hunt. That's when I met so many people that were powerful in Los Angeles that were connected to USC. Once you start meeting different people, they want to introduce you to more USC alums and it becomes a cycle. That's what happened with me. JK McKay set me up with my internship sophomore year and ever since then, I have been meeting people in the real estate industry that were connected to USC.

Business leaders gravitate towards student-athletes, not because of the prestige of it, but because of the work load that we take on. We have transferable skills that allow you to go into the work force. We are used to structure. We are used to the daily grind of being challenged. As my gap got smaller for my NFL chance, I had to widen my range of transferable skills for the business world, including showing leadership as a captain. 

I think being personable was the main reason that I was chosen by my teammates. I formed a relationship with pretty much every guy in the locker room. I could have a conversation with any of my teammates and know a little bit about them. That relates to any field you are in. It's just relationships. I take pride in having good relationships and keeping strong bridges with anybody around me.

The veterans before me, like Hayes Pullard and Devon Kennard, showed me the way. I kind of just did what those guys passed down to me. The goal is to continue the fountain of youth so everybody understands how this works. You want guys to look back and say, 'This guy really helped me a lot.' Whether it is something small or something huge, on the field or off the field, I just want them to be able to take one thing from me.

I will miss the locker room. You are with the guys 12 hours a day. I enjoyed the work leading up to your test every Saturday. Every week, you had something to look forward to as far as a new challenge. Hopefully, I have something like that as far as a new challenge in my new job, but the weekly test was fun for me.

What I won't miss are the 5 a.m. wake-up calls and morning team runs throughout the summer, but I think that's what helped shape me. I would go to team runs at 6 a.m., go to my internship and then come back for 7-on-7 sessions in the evening. 

I am somebody that if you are going to do something, be all in. I am motivated by the people that come behind me. I want to set an example for them. That's what really drives me. 

I am going to have some fun and travel Southeast Asia after the semester and then begin my new job in July. I am looking forward to the challenges ahead for me and my teammates. You will see me. I'll be around. I cannot wait to watch this team and program continue to grow and succeed. 

Proud to be a Trojan for life. Fight On!
tl;dr: lettuce be cereal

Last edited:
smart move by Hutchings. He had no shot at playing in the league. Someone powerful for sure gave him a job he probably didn't deserve right from the start, but thats how it works in the network

Back
Top Bottom