Official 2017 Knicks Offseason thread, Phil Jackson gone

Rubio's contract is not an expiring..

He's a starting point guard on a squad that has pretty much the same record as the Knicks ..

Timberwolves would rather keep Dunn than keep him..

He's actually played less games over the last three years than Derrick has..

But you guys are convinced that Rubio is the answer.

I hope they make this Rubio Rose swap so I can see you guys turn on Rubio

He's a starting point guard on a squad that has pretty much the same record as the Knicks ..

I have a feeling this is what will end up happening.

I'd be okay with the Dunn swap, but obviously Thibs feels like there's still more room for Dunn to grow. At the very least, he can be a Pat Beverly type of PG.

I don't want Rubio unless he's coming off the bench.

Kid's pretty trash.

He's like a younger Calderon that can't shoot but is good at reading passing lanes. He can't stay in front of athletic guards either.

This is what will happen:

We won't make a move before the trade deadline, then ppl will threaten to not be Knick fans anymore, but somehow go back to watching every single game left of the season.

Quote me on this.

Only 1 day of trade talk left Knicks thread. We can get through this.

By this time tomorrow everything will be back to normal. We'll have the same team, same issues and go back to getting blown out on national television 
laugh.gif

#teamtank 
pimp.gif

I don't think Rubio is the answer for our future. What would Phil do when we let Derrick go? We are in a new era of NBA salary room where a non-star player make more than $12 mill a year for next four years. For a star, it could cost us $18 mill a year. A superstar makes more than $25 mill a year. Derrick wants $150 mill over four years

Even if we get Rubio, I would still draft a point guard this year. Let him take his time to develop and learn from Rubio. I don't know if Rubio doesn't mind playing off the bench. He will be an expiring after next season which it doesn't hurt us much

Reggie makes more $$$ plus he has one more year on a contract than Rubio does. Bet Reggie will make fuss if he is asked to be a second string pg

I don't want Rubio unless he's coming off the bench.

Kid's pretty trash.

He's like a younger Calderon that can't shoot but is good at reading passing lanes. He can't stay in front of athletic guards either.

I don't know if it's Thibs system or Rubio's perimeter defense. I didn't watch two Cavs/Wolves games this month. Rubio and Irving played more than 35 minutes in both games. Irving went 5/18 then 10/27. Lowry went 6/19 but Rubio played 21 minutes. Conley went 5/16 (Rubio played 38 mins). Bledsoe went 5/18 (Rubio played 34 mins). Westbrook went 7/23 (Rubio played 36 mins)

I am willing to take a gamble on Rubio. Cheap contract, 2 years left on the contract, great character and only 27 years old

Last edited:
I sorta see the logic of trying to acquire Rubio instead of letting Rose's contract expire

We're not getting ANY big name FA's this summer let alone PGs and we obviously don't wanna keep Rose.

So Rubio is basically the best we're gonna get if we can 
laugh.gif

We ain't doing **** for a long time. All this speculation is still for naught. I'll see y'all tomorrow when I threaten to leave the thread and stop being a fan.

I'll be back though.

If we get a top 3 pick I hope we pick Lonzo ball. He looks like he will be the best from this draft class

I always liked Houston and I hated that he got so much flack for that contract. Like who tf gonna really turn down $100 m's?
It was more so about him being offered the contract than him turning it down.
Scott Layden created the blueprint for bad Knick management. There wasn't any rumors Allan wanted to leave or wanted more money or was making it him or Sprewell.

As for this talk about Pistons version of Allan. He was already on the Knicks by then, proved his worth, made the game winner against Miami, had dozens of his scoring games, 40 and 50 point games. Dude polished his game.

Consider this: Derrick Rose’s usage rate this season is 26.2 and his assist rate is 23.1. In contrast, Ricky Rubio’s usage rate this season is 14.9 and his assist rate is 36.2.

Defensive Real Plus-Minus (DRPM) is a defensive metric which tracks a player’s estimated on-court impact on team defensive performance, measured in points allowed per 100 offensive possessions and accounts for team and opponent context. This season, Rubio has posted a DRPM of 0.58, which is the eighth-highest mark among point guards. In 2015-16, Rubio was at 1.89, which was the second highest DRPM among qualifying point guards in the league, behind only Chris Paul. In 2014-15, Rubio led NBA point guards in this category.

Derrick Rose, on the other hand, ranks 85th out of 89 qualifying points guards in DRPM this season. In 2015-16, he was also in the bottom 5 percent among qualifying PG’s.

Additionally, with Rubio making less than 15 percent of the cap over the next two seasons, he could even be used as a sixth man if need be. This should quell any fears that trading for Rubio would prevent the Knicks from targeting a “point guard of the future” in the 2017 draft.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/knicks-should-flip-derrick-rose-for-ricky-rubio/

Last edited:

Consider this: Derrick Rose’s usage rate this season is 26.2 and his assist rate is 23.1. In contrast, Ricky Rubio’s usage rate this season is 14.9 and his assist rate is 36.2.

Defensive Real Plus-Minus (DRPM) is a defensive metric which tracks a player’s estimated on-court impact on team defensive performance, measured in points allowed per 100 offensive possessions and accounts for team and opponent context. This season, Rubio has posted a DRPM of 0.58, which is the eighth-highest mark among point guards. In 2015-16, Rubio was at 1.89, which was the second highest DRPM among qualifying point guards in the league, behind only Chris Paul. In 2014-15, Rubio led NBA point guards in this category.

Derrick Rose, on the other hand, ranks 85th out of 89 qualifying points guards in DRPM this season. In 2015-16, he was also in the bottom 5 percent among qualifying PG’s.

Additionally, with Rubio making less than 15 percent of the cap over the next two seasons, he could even be used as a sixth man if need be. This should quell any fears that trading for Rubio would prevent the Knicks from targeting a “point guard of the future” in the 2017 draft.
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/knicks-should-flip-derrick-rose-for-ricky-rubio/
Talk that **** man

@amel223   you gon' back your boy up?

Talk that **** man

@amel223
  you gon' back your boy up?

Ehh. I don't think the article accounts for the fact that Derrick is a better scorer and that the Knicks like to use Derrick as a small 2 next to Jennings. Like so what if Rubio's assist rate is higher. Dude can't score outside of 2 feet.

Derrick has never been a great defender but his awful defensive ranking is compounded by the fact that he's playing with the Knicks. In 2015-16 he was playing for Hoiberg. Bulls under Hoiberg are not exactly known for their defense. On the Thibs led Bulls squad Derrick's defense was average.

I agree with the writer that the two teams should swap players, but for different reasons.

You guys have a hard on for Rubio for some inexplicable reason so I just want my opportunity to point and laugh.

Last edited:
Hope we just stand pat and don't do anything stupid.

Rose is a huge contract coming off the books, don't move him for Rubio who is 27 and has real limits in his game.
Only thing I would do is Melo to Boston if they decide on that but I doubt that happens.

Just play the string out on the season, lose games, get good draft pick.

Repeat cycle for a few more years and we'll be in a good place.

Back
Top Bottom