OFFICIAL 2019 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Nah. There’s rich and then there’s A&M rich lol
Fair enough. I've just heard that term associated with A&M for so long with no results that it's become almost meaningless to me.

I've beaten the "Clemson was the same way before Dabo" drum a few times before, but at a certain point I guess you just grow impatient with it.

Schiano was great at Rutgers though. Still remember that 06 upset against Louisville back when I was overly obsessed with Louisville sports teams...almost as hurt about Louisville losing a chance at a national title over that game as I've ever been.

I kinda feel like Clemson is a house of cards. I know they’ve got it rolling and I know it’s more system and culture than anything right now, but if Venables and Elliott and Scott were to get HC jobs I’m just not convinced Dabo alone will keep it going. Yes, I know he’s made great hiring decisions thus far, but there’s what they were doing in the past and then there’s this, and this hinges, IMO, on this specific combo of coordinators and generational talents.

But they've still kept it going with keeping Venables around (granted he seems like a lifer at any place he goes as a DC), and replacing an OC whenever the need arises without skipping a beat. It helps to have a generational talent like Trevor Lawrence to keep you going, but you largely don't keep guys like that past a freshman year nowadays without making good hires quickly and giving them a chance early. I know it's popular to hate Dabo in this thread, but idiocratic quotes about socioeconomic and political issues (which most people excusably can't accept) aside the dude is a really damned good coach.

If Dabo ever leaves I feel like Clemson is gonna be forced with either making another really good hire or facing a 9-4 ceiling in the face again. For my sake I hope they make another really good hire to keep SCar down for longer.

Last edited:
Elliot and Scott really aren't anything special IMO. They're replaceable.

They don't need to be but Clemson really isn't that innovative on O. The stuff they run doesn't seem all that different from when Chad was there, they just have 5*'s running it now.

Venables is elite, but people still forget Dabo got him out of the bargain bin, and when that day comes I'm sure they either will have developed a successor for that side of the ball by then, or Dabo will make another great hire.

Some people are just talented at surrounding themselves with smart people. I'm sure he'll have a Bowden like demise and his sons to be coordinators, but I think we're a ways away from that.

Kid is legit bro. No way in hell are there 25 WR’s better than him in the nation. If so, this is the GOAT WR class
Great to hear from someone in his area. Meant to tag you to ask if you knew anything about him. Seems like he isn't really too speedy, but has unbelievable hands and route running. Think he'll pair extremely well with Demas and possibly Omiere (and Achane who is a track star being sold the RB dream, but will probably be a 3rd down back with many 1st & 2nd plays in the slot).

Venables is elite, but people still forget Dabo got him out of the bargain bin, and when that day comes I'm sure they either will have developed a successor for that side of the ball by then, or Dabo will make another great hire.
I know his son is now at Clemson this year, but Dabo just kept him when his dream job (Kansas State, where he went to school) came calling a few months ago. Do people often turn down their dream job if they don't know they have something really good where they're already at? Seems like Dabo has given full defensive control to Venables and they have a mutual respect for each other's roles with the team.

It's not like Saban where people fear making decisions with stuff they're supposed to have control over.

I know his son is now at Clemson this year, but Dabo just kept him when his dream job (Kansas State, where he went to school) came calling a few months ago. Do people often turn down their dream job if they don't know they have something really good where they're already at? Seems like Dabo has given full defensive control to Venables and they have a mutual respect for each other's roles with the team.

It's not like Saban where people fear making decisions with stuff they're supposed to have control over.

Was KSU really his dream job? I've heard more than once that he wasn't all that enthralled with coaching at his alma mater, and that job came with some strings attached which is why Seth Littrell turned it down.

I understand the rationale for never leaving, but these guy just don't think like that. Outside of Bud Foster, what elite coordinator hasn't at least given it one shot? The only other guy I can think of is Sandusky, and we all know why he never got a HC job.

I'll believe he's never leaving when he starts turning down elite jobs.

Kid is legit bro. No way in hell are there 25 WR’s better than him in the nation. If so, this is the GOAT WR class
I love him...

Don’t think there’s anyone better than Demas in the country. They might be about to lock down Troy Omiere too.

That group of three is really nice. Achane as a scat back and that offense gets a little nutty.

Jimbo needs to lock down Haynes King. Can’t let him leave the state.

Was KSU really his dream job? I've heard more than once that he wasn't all that enthralled with coaching at his alma mater, and that job came with some strings attached which is why Seth Littrell turned it down.
As unfortunate as it sounds, I could definitely see that as long as Snyder is alive...especially if they keep trying to force Snyder's kid down people's throats as part of the program moving forward.

I've always understood Venables doesn't have a TON of interest in a head coaching spot, but that Kansas State was one of the very few places he would be really interested in. Guess we'll see long-term if/when big time places come calling.

And Seth Littrell should be lined up for a much better offer in a year or two. Feel like he's similar to Chad Morris and holding off for something (Chad stayed at SMU after one season and thought he was for sure getting the A&M job when Sumlin got fired, even actively campaigned for it and had open door calls with A&M boosters while he was still employed at SMU). Think Seth is waiting to see if Riley heads to the NFL in a year or two so he can try to sneak his way to OU.

RU my alma mater so I'm gonna rep hasta la muerte. Greatest football moment in school history went down when I was on campus in 2006. Everyone got laid that night. Upsetting #3 Louisville, led by Brian Brohm at QB. Ray Rice backpacked offensively, Britt caught a long pass and Underwood scored a TD. Also had Brian Leonard in the backfield. He wasn't great but we had DBP boy, Mike Teel, quarterbacking the squad. Jeremy Ito kicked the GW FG. Bad loss to Cincy right after.

nako xl nako xl , he's not a LB but you thinking of Keith Hamilton's son, Darius? Played DL at RU. Crown jewel recruiting class with Hamilton, Carroo and OL Chris Muller.

RU my alma mater so I'm gonna rep hasta la muerte. Greatest football moment in school history went down when I was on campus in 2006. Everyone got laid that night. Upsetting #3 Louisville, led by Brian Brohm at QB. Ray Rice backpacked offensively, Britt caught a long pass and Underwood scored a TD. Also had Brian Leonard in the backfield. He wasn't great but we had DBP boy, Mike Teel, quarterbacking the squad. Jeremy Ito kicked the GW FG. Bad loss to Cincy right after.

nako xl nako xl , he's not a LB but you thinking of Keith Hamilton's son, Darius? Played DL at RU. Crown jewel recruiting class with Hamilton, Carroo and OL Chris Muller.

You’re right it was Darius Hamilton! Man, I really do feel if Rutgers could lock down New Jersey talent and pull NY, PA, and DMV/CT/MA kids they could be at least Minnesota level competitive in the B1G.

Kiffin needs to take that job. Lane in the B1G lying to kids about the uber time to NYC? Unstoppable!

When KSU opened up they offered Venables and one of those big CFB writers on a podcast said that he had no interest and was waiting on a different job. Also said the dream job thing was overplayed and Venables didn’t want the KSU gig.

When KSU opened up they offered Venables and one of those big CFB writers on a podcast said that he had no interest and was waiting on a different job. Also said the dream job thing was overplayed and Venables didn’t want the KSU gig.

Sounds like a lot more responsibility for what likely would've been only a slight pay raise.

Greg Biggins:
This one took another strange twist. As was earlier reported, Steele visited USC earlier today. I was also told Chris visited USC last week the day before he visited Oregon. I know there’s some pressure on Chris from his family to give USC one last look and he’s giving them some serious consideration now. I mentioned before, USC was always top choice for Steele’s parents so looks like Oregon will have to withstand one final push.

I heard from someone close to the family the visit to Oregon went really well, he picked out his class schedule, saw the dorm he would be staying in and finalized some of the paperwork needed to try and get this year back eligibility wise. I talked briefly with the dad while they were on the visit and things sounded all locked up and he mentioned Chris would be enrolling in two weeks. This has definite been one of the wildest recruitments I’ve ever covered.

Just to add, a few parents of current USC players feel there’s a good chance Chris flips back to SC, we should know something either way in a few days. Not sure anyone will feel comfortable until he actually enrolls somewhere of course.

Gerard Martinez:
Chris, admittedly, has made many commitments. Some verbal, some silent. As we've said a few times now, the Bru McCoy decision does have an impact here. Steele isn't going to base his decision on Bru going to USC, but it sorta brings back those feelings when the two were locked in for USC last summer. At least, that's the picture being painted for me from the sources I've spoken with. Over the weekend, one source gave me the impression that Oregon's coaching staff feels they have done everything they can do to get him there. They were confident that's where he wants to be. At the same time, maybe indignation is too strong a word, but I think everyone involved is ready for Chris to enroll and get to work.

In re: Narbonne High School academic scandal

The most interesting aspect is if John Aguirre is going to take down his drinking buddy Coach Douglas. The whole city is watching that aspect. There's a rumor that Narbonne was one of the guilty parties that snitched on Hawkins which led to them getting the death penalty, so maybe this is coming back full circle.

Back
Top Bottom