**OFFICIAL 2019 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD**

Which team will win the 2018-2019 NBA Championship?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re probably right. But for whatever reason, I doubt that the cross-section of people who are loyal NB customers and also play basketball is all that big.
I actually think signing Kawhi is more useful to the company in order to push clothing than basketball shoes.

Damn DVT.. so he will be put on blood thinners for a month. If he gets another one that’s a career ender for him.

Not an excuse but just the facts: since Kobe tore his Achilles in 2013,

2014- Kobe missed 76 games (fractured knee)
2015- Kobe missed 47 games (torn rotator cuff), Randle missed 81 games (broken leg)
2017- D'Lo missed 20 games (various injuries)
2018- Zo missed 35 games (knee), BI missed 23 games (knee)
2019- Bron missed 18 games (groin), Rondo missed 34 games (hand/finger), Zo going to miss 35 again (ankle), BI going to miss 30 games (ankle/shoulder)

I'd say during that span only the Sixers have had that type of bad luck when it comes to key injuries

Someone check on @bsox

He’s probably partying right now celebrating BIs possible career ending injury. He finally feels fully validated regarding Jaylen Brown. He no longer has to lie to himself about his team having the better Brown instead of BI

sucks to hear about BI...young bull was finally showin out :frown:

scary thing is you can get bounce back from an ACL tear, broken foot/ankle, achilles rupture but a blood clot? **** around and that **** can be life threatening

LOS ANGELES – The Celtics looked like a broken team throughout most of their loss to Houston this past weekend, leaving Kyrie Irving in a somber mood after the game. When asked if he thought the Celtics could come together on an upcoming road trip, the All-Star point guard responded without certainty or optimism.

“We’ll see,” Irving said.

As ominous as that answer sounded, the four-game trip has started as well as the Celtics could have hoped. They drubbed the Warriors by 33 points at Oracle Arena, then followed up the blowout with a hard-fought win against the scrappy Kings. Even before the back-to-back victories, Boston players and coaches noted that they felt the vibes around the team had changed. Coach Brad Stevens, before the Warriors game, said the mood felt as good as it had in “a while.” Irving echoed his coach’s comments, emphasizing that the Celtics needed the long plane ride west.

So what happened on that flight?

Card games, dice games, enthusiastic chatter and some music from DJ Kyrie, according to several players who all agreed the team’s spirits changed by the time the flight landed in California.

“It was a good ride,” Marcus Morris said. “It just so happened to come after we got our *** beat. And at that time it kind of changed the outlook on everything, and guys just had a better attitude, man. Just more positive. And I think it carried over into the games.”

“Even the guys that usually are real to themselves, really don’t talk as much, everybody was together,” Marcus Smart said. “Everybody was interacting with one another. All smiles and laughs.”

Morris said the Celtics regularly listen to music together and play an assortment of games on the team flight. If Jayson Tatum controls the tunes, as he often does, he tends to lean toward St. Louis artists because of his hometown. Other team DJs include Morris and Guerschon Yabusele. Morris often plays Meek Mill, a fellow Philadelphia native. But on the flight Sunday, Irving commanded the music.

“Ky likes to sing,” Morris said, “so we listen to him sing. He’s the only one that can really sing on the team.”

While en route to California, Al Horford said Irving took the initiative to spark up conversation and card games among the players. The details of the card games shifted depending on which player was telling the story, but here’s a list of things we believe are true:

1. Smart considers himself the Celtics’ best Uno player. When asked for a reason, he said he can read everyone’s poker face and knows how to act accordingly. As more proof, he said, the rest of the Celtics would never give him credit for his skills.

“This is how you know you’re good: When you ask somebody else if I’m good, they’re all going to tell you, ‘No,'” Smart said. “Because they’re hating. So that’s how I know I’m good.”

As if to prove Smart’s point – or maybe disprove it – Yabusele strongly denied his teammate sits on the Uno throne.

“That’s not true,” Yabusele said. “Ask him, he knows. I’m better than him. I beat him all the time.”

2. Horford was more complimentary of Smart’s Uno skills.

“He is (as good as he says he is),” Horford said. “I feel like Smart in Uno is like he is in everything: He just talks his way into stuff and then he just, like, wins. He finds a way to win. I think he hadn’t won a game, and we were about to land and he literally won. He said, ‘I’m gonna tie’ – I think it was Guerschon – and he won like four straight.”

3. Only one player, Horford, had unanimous Uno approval from those questioned. Calling himself “a quick draw,” he said he used to play with the Hawks and learned from experience over the years.

The scouting reports from Smart and Yabusele both suggested Horford’s a force.

“I think it’s just his personality,” Smart said. “Right there, he’s sneaky, he ain’t gotta say too much. He can just go out and play.”

4. How much Uno the Celtics actually played on Sunday’s plane ride is in question. Smart said he and Horford tied for the lead with about five wins each, but Horford indicated he mostly played spades on the flight.

“That’s not really my game,” Horford said. “But I actually did pretty well.”

Spades really may not be Horford’s game.

“They wasn’t playing spades,” Morris said. “They were playing bourré. And then I was playing dice.”

5. While some of his teammates regularly gravitate toward the card games, Morris said he sticks to dice on the team plane. As such, he wasn’t qualified to evaluate Smart’s Uno skills.

“I don’t really play cards on the plane, so I’ve never really seen him play,” Morris said. “I just shoot dice with him. So I’m a dice dude. Me, T-Ro (Terry Rozier), Brad (Wanamaker), sometimes Ky, sometimes everybody shoots dice.”

On the way to California, Morris said he “did all right,” but he lost some money when Smart hit a couple of fours. Among the other Celtics, Morris put Tatum near the top of the dice power rankings.

“You’ve gotta have the touch, obviously, you know what I’m saying?” Morris said. “He didn’t know how to play at first, and now he’s really good at it. He found his rhythm. It’s like basketball: You shoot a little bit and you’re off, and then you find that rhythm and go from there.”

The Celtics hope they’re finding a rhythm on the West Coast. If they continue to rack up wins, they might look back on the long plane ride as one catalyst for the turnaround. Irving said earlier this week that discussions with Stevens and Danny Ainge helped shift his mindset toward a more positive one for the stretch run. It’s not clear exactly when those conversations took place, but Horford gave Irving credit for infusing the Celtics with energy in the air.

“It’s a long flight across the country, everybody’s getting their headphones on or whatever,” Horford said. “And (Irving) just started talking, and then he was like, ‘Hey, let’s play cards.’ And we just got to talking. I just think that his energy in all that, that kind of brought us together as a group. And that carried over to that practice the next day in San Francisco, which I thought was a really good one, and then that shootaround before the game was really good as well, really focused. But it all started with the plane ride.”

As much as i want BOS to get the #3 seed, i have to see LeBron in the playoffs. This is unfathomable to me. Rooting for LAL to steal one in TD.

37420A0C-D233-458F-89B5-03380F0EC7BE.gif

How many times did I say the Lakers should tank? Y’all aint wanna listen.

Also, this def goes down as the most dissapointing/embarrassing season in Laker history.

Eruptsradamus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom