OFFICIAL 2020 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who will the four teams in the College Football Playoff be?

• Alabama

Votes: 36 83.7%
  • Clemson

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • UGA

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • LSU

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Oklahoma

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • UF

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Auburn

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Michigan

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Someone else

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Another top basketball kid committed to an HBCU. That’s 2 or 3 this cycle. Maybe basketball is the sport that would have to drive that change since there individual can be more impactful and get more shine than in football.

Another top basketball kid committed to an HBCU. That’s 2 or 3 this cycle. Maybe basketball is the sport that would have to drive that change since there individual can be more impactful and get more shine than in football.

This is so dope. Knew basketball would break the mold first. Football will follow after. That new SWAC is gonna do major things in the future. Keep on doubting..

This is a really great move, let's hope these athletes actually stick to their commitments and aren't just riding a wave and then end up committing to Duke, Kentucky, etc in a couple of months.

Football relies too much on resources, infrastructure, etc. Think it’s harder when you have to spend 3 years versus 6 months.
Yep, think it's gonna take a lot of guys taking this route for basketball before the alumni start investing in facilities for all sports.

what was the basis for the $1M pay cut? It can't be for being tone deaf.
Apparently it was at his suggestion. I might have missed it in the article but it doesnt look like theyre donating that money anywhere so I'm not sure what we're supposed to take away from it.

Football relies too much on resources, infrastructure, etc. Think it’s harder when you have to spend 3 years versus 6 months.
I just can’t envision a world where the HBCUs can compete at the level of some of these schools in the football realm. It’s just too long on campus and too heavily dependent on so many things being in place.

I just can’t envision a world where the HBCUs can compete at the level of some of these schools in the football realm. It’s just too long on campus and too heavily dependent on so many things being in place.
As cool as it would be it’s not gonna happen. Football is a totally different monster. A basketball player can still go and be one and done there and go to the league, football is totally different

Apparently it was at his suggestion. I might have missed it in the article but it doesnt look like theyre donating that money anywhere so I'm not sure what we're supposed to take away from it.
ok, so the $1M loss was to basically sweep it under the rug and pretend nothing happened. I see.

That was easy for him. He already basically lives like a billionaire making what he does in Stillwater so $1M won't be missed.

HBCU’s being on top can be done, all the power is in the players hands...If they wanna go to them schools then that’s the shift that’s gon happen ...This country keeps getting worse so it’s only pushing black players to think bout it more

HBCU’s being on top can be done, all the power is in the players hands...If they wanna go to them schools then that’s the shift that’s gon happen ...This country keeps getting worse so it’s only pushing black players to think bout it more
It’ll take whole classes of players deciding to do it though. 1 or 2 players choosing FAMU over Bama doesn’t have nearly as much impact as it does in basketball. And then it has to be sustained to get investment in facilities, training, etc., that the big schools have.

It’s something that would have to happen in mass over an extended period of time for anything to really happen.

How many classes full of kids does it take before ESPN or Fox or whomever money whips for TV rights? How long after that does it take for the infrastructure improvements to realistically happen?

Even with where the country is at, how many kids at the high-end with NFL aspirations are going to set that aside to assume the risk of starting this trend?

It’s easy in basketball. One or two kids can swing a program at that level and they’re not there more than a season.

It’ll take whole classes of players deciding to do it though. 1 or 2 players choosing FAMU over Bama doesn’t have nearly as much impact as it does in basketball. And then it has to be sustained to get investment in facilities, training, etc., that the big schools have.
It’s something that would have to happen in mass over an extended period of time for anything to really happen.

How many classes full of kids does it take before ESPN or Fox or whomever money whips for TV rights? How long after that does it take for the infrastructure improvements to realistically happen?

Even with where the country is at, how many kids at the high-end with NFL aspirations are going to set that aside to assume the risk of starting this trend?

It’s easy in basketball. One or two kids can swing a program at that level and they’re not there more than a season.
Yea it gotta be a mass type of thing but it ain’t as hard as some think...If the players wanna go somewhere they’ll go and the facilities and extra would get sorted out

Players follow trends and whats popular, If HBCU becomes the wave then that’s what it’s gon be

what was the basis for the $1M pay cut? It can't be for being tone deaf.
Yeah, there's definitely more to this story than just the tone deaf oan shirt. There have been rumblings that Gundy was an abrasive @**hole. This doesn't show much confidence in him as a coach, not only about cutting his pay they're also shortening his contract.

Im guessing this has nothing to do with anything aside from athletic budgets tightening in the fallout from COVID.

There’s been other coaches taking pay cuts, too.

Y’all remember the days when BET showed HBCU games on weekends? I have a feeling down there will be a HBCU network/partnership. I’m not talking bowl games.Perhaps so something similar to CIAA weekend..idk.. Honestly at FAMU we tried years ago to go D1. It didn’t work out for us. Now our facilities have hit a major upgrade. We just need a new stadium. I think with this new super conference we have a chance to create some excitement that will increase alumni donations.

If the players start going to HBCUs they’ll get more resources.
Think everyone realizes the money and resources will generally go where players do.

The problem is the amount of time it would actually take for any of it to bear fruit in the grand scheme of things.

Even if they could cherry pick every elite recruit, it would take years and years for the money to flow and the resources/infrastructure to catch up. Coaching, facilities, support staffs, stadium remodels/builds. It’s a massive uphill battle and would require an insane number of kids putting their futures on the line by sacrificing what they’re walking away from in the meantime.

Back
Top Bottom