OFFICIAL 2021-2022 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Florida, MVP MVP looks like you’re finally going to get your wish and Grantham is gone with a bunch of others:

First, on staffing, I do believe there are going to be some significant changes. Todd Grantham being gone is all but a foregone conclusion. I haven't heard anything definitive on any other coaches and am not sure any of those decisions have been made, but the following coaches have their contracts set to expire after this season (technically their contracts run through this recruiting cycle):

Todd Grantham
John Hevesy
Billy Gonzales
Tim Brewster
Greg Knox
David Turner

Personally I'd be a little surprised if *more* than half of those guys were let go, but that's just an opinion. I'm a little surprised that there seems to be a lot of growing buzz that Hevesy may well be one of them. I know The Athletic openly posited that he will likely not be back next year. That, to me, would indicate pretty starkly that Mullen is well aware of how dire the situation is right now.

In any case, it's clear there's going to be a big shakeup after the season.

My concern is chiefly that Dan Mullen isn't exactly known in coaching circles as a head coach that is easy to get along with. I talked about that some on the podcast yesterday, that it's one thing to want a bunch of assistants fired... hiring replacements that actually mesh as a cohesive staff is another, particularly as those numbers of additions keeps growing. I really do think Florida's pretty much at the point where Anthony Richardson has to be the truth to save this staff, and that's a really tough burden to put on any one player. But you're not fixing the roster issues overnight, and simply replacing several staff members is not a guaranteed fix.

This sudden Florida/Mullen talk by the college football media is plenty interesting

I wonder who he pissed off

I do think that the narrative has quickly shifted on Dan and now it's up to him to change it back. Even a year ago he was known as a great offensive coach who had Florida on the right track to winning a championship. Over the last year people have come to realize that he has an awkward personality and he's a terrible recruiter (which puts a ceiling on your program)

If Daniel had whiter teeth he'd get at least 3 more 5 star recruits. I'm not saying you have to be Handsome by my goodness man, you have to try. Saban has that grandpa swagger, Kirby has that frat bro appeal but Daniel is just an awkward guy that makes people uncomfortable.

FD13A449-0CD4-467A-BE6D-F32C6A01E2BA.jpeg

If Daniel had whiter teeth he'd get at least 3 more 5 star recruits. I'm not saying you have to be Handsome by my goodness man, you have to try. Saban has that grandpa swagger, Kirby has that frat bro appeal but Daniel is just an awkward guy that makes people uncomfortable.
All jokes aside there’s a lot of talk that he’s an awful interview and awkward/unpleasant in person. Not a lot of people want to work with him.

Not surprised Helton got a job and honestly this is a program that fits him.

He won't have any of the pressure he had at SC.

Not sure if coward deserves a better Grandpa or whether Grandpa deserves a better grandkid.

Article:

Miami ready to invest in football’s long-term future — and that includes retaining Manny Diaz right now

Oct 23, 2021; Miami Gardens, Florida, USA; Miami Hurricanes head coach Manny Diaz reacts after getting a first down against the North Carolina State Wolfpack during the third quarter of the game at Hard Rock Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Sam Navarro-USA TODAY Sports

By Manny Navarro 16m ago
comment-icon.png
save-icon.png

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – When Kirk Herbstreit criticized the struggling state Miami’s football program has been in for nearly two decades on ESPN’s College Gameday back on Sept. 25 — going as far as to question school president Julio Frenk’s commitment to athletics — the reverberations were felt deep inside the private school’s inner walls.
Frenk, who replaced Donna Shalala as Miami’s school president in August 2015, immediately put two of his most trusted advisors, Rudy Fernandez, his chief of staff and Miami’s head of public affairs and communications, and Joe Echevarria, the CEO of Miami’s UHealth program, in charge of evaluating the athletic program.
Fast forward a little more than five weeks, here is what The Athletic has learned from speaking to sources at the school with direct knowledge of the situation:
A coaching change during the season is highly unlikely
Miami’s administration is highly unlikely to make a coaching change during the season in large part because it wants to protect the team from losing its top freshmen via the transfer portal. That’s the priority over everything else.
The fact Diaz has won two straight games against ranked opponents, and his young players are playing well, has put him in position to be retained after the season. Had the Hurricanes looked bad in losses to NC State or Pittsburgh, there was a chance Miami would have made a coaching change. But with young players are showing lots of promise, the team playing hard for Diaz, and a sense of unity on the team, the administration wants to let the season play out before making any decisions. Diaz has some supporters among trustees.
“In the end, we want him to succeed, not fail,” a source in Miami’s administration said.
At this point, it would likely take a complete meltdown over the final four games of the season for Miami to move on from Diaz before the season ends. But the pressure to win is certainly there.
One thing is certain: athletic director Blake James cannot terminate Diaz without the approval of Miami’s new inner circle of athletic leaders, a group made up of select trustees, Frenk’s top advisors, Frenk and James.
“Money will not be an issue.”
Frenk and Miami’s Board of Trustees, having seen the athletic program struggle, are fully invested in getting things right, and are willing to spend more money than Miami has in the past to do it. That means coaching, facility upgrades (Miami’s locker rooms are next) and whatever else is needed to help the program win championships.
“Money will not be an issue,” a source said.
Frenk is not a huge sports fan, but he recognizes its importance to Miami’s overall image and wants to make the football program elite. That means, for example, winning the Coastal Division eight out of every 10 years, and the conference a handful of times a decade, a source said.
“There’s no reason we can’t win the division almost every year,” the source said.
Miami has played in the ACC Championship only once (2017) since joining the conference in 2004, and has never spent more than $4 million a season on its head football coach (former coach Mark Richt).
Miami would owe current coach Manny Diaz at least a percentage of what’s left on the final two years of his five-year contract (roughly $8 million) if he’s fired at the end of the season. Plus, the school would be on the hook for what is owed to his assistants — many of whom are on multiyear deals.
Between letting Diaz and his staff go, and hiring a new one, Miami could spend upward of $15 to $20 million to make changes. Again, the source said: “Money will not be an issue.”
Why? Miami’s UHealth program has made enough profit to help cover some bills. When Miami operated under Shalala, she expected athletics to cover its own expenses. That’s not the case anymore.
According to year-end financial statements for the fiscal year ending on May 31, 2021, Miami profited $432.4 million. That included a $400 million increase in net patient revenue from 2020’s fiscal year for hospitals and clinics.
Diaz and James are not tied together
Even though James hired Diaz, the coach’s future at Miami is not necessarily tied to that of his athletic director. James’ future at Miami is under close evaluation independently. The fact he rushed to hire Diaz in a short 24-hour window after Richt retired wasn’t received well by some of the trustees, who wanted more say.
The struggles of Miami’s overall athletic programs in baseball and basketball are also what James is being evaluated on — not just football. James, though, has not been told he will not be back, as some rumors have suggested. His evaluation remains ongoing.

All I got from that is that they won't can him mid season, not that they're necessarily going to keep him on for next year

To be fair, one of the criticisms of the AD is he’s been on a media propaganda tour. This would seem to fall in with that accusation.

what NFL team would draft him? He might be a sixth or seventh round pick based purely on talent. Ole Miss makes a lot of sense. Why is Georgia up here?

All I got from that is that they won't can him mid season, not that they're necessarily going to keep him on for next year
Yea, him and the AD are still goners. They just aren't firing Manny in-season at this point with the recent wins. You don't leak that money won't be and issue and that the program is ready to make serious investments to bring back the two guys at the center of the current ineptitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom