OFFICIAL 2023-2024 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD *THE START OF THE MICHIGAN WOLVERINE DYNASTY; UPDATE 1/24/2024: THE END OF THE MICHIGAN DYNASTY*

Who will win the 2023 College Football Playoffs?

• the Ohio State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alabama

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • UGA

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • LSU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Texas

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Michigan

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Other

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jimmy, Switzer (really should have been Jimmy’s if not for Jerry), and Pete are the only three to ever do it. Told my buddy’s once the Chargers job opened that I was predicting Harbaugh would have them playing for a title within 3 years. We’ll see if he can add to that short list - almost did it in reverse of the others after his stint with the 49ers.

Jimmy, Switzer (really should have been Jimmy’s if not for Jerry), and Pete are the only three to ever do it. Told my buddy’s once the Chargers job opened that I was predicting Harbaugh would have them playing for a title within 3 years. We’ll see if he can add to that short list - almost did it in reverse of the others after his stint with the 49ers.
Think people are misremembering the type of talent he walked into in SF. Singletary just underachieved with that roster. Not going to be the case in LA, and I definitely need to see if he’s going to run a more modern offense.

This is what is really going to end the NCAA. States are eventually just going to say "no". Realistically, what can the NCAA do in response.

The irony in this situation is that coaches, administrators and athletic directors have complained about the lack of structure in college football and when the NCAA tries to enforce their rules and bring structure to the sport these states are now filing suit.

Think people are misremembering the type of talent he walked into in SF. Singletary just underachieved with that roster. Not going to be the case in LA, and I definitely need to see if he’s going to run a more modern offense.
From a pure roster perspective, I don’t think the Chargers are exactly devoid of talent…but quite a bit of that talent does have issues with staying healthy which could be an issue. I think he has a lot to work with on that team though.

The 49ers went from having 2 Pro Bowlers and 1 All-Pro in 2010 to having 9 Pro Bowlers and 6 All-Pros in Harbaugh’s first year. The Chargers also had 2 Pro Bowlers and 1 All-Pro this year.

From a pure roster perspective, I don’t think the Chargers are exactly devoid of talent…but quite a bit of that talent does have issues with staying healthy which could be an issue. I think he has a lot to work with on that team though.

The 49ers went from having 2 Pro Bowlers and 1 All-Pro in 2010 to having 9 Pro Bowlers and 6 All-Pros in Harbaugh’s first year. The Chargers also had 2 Pro Bowlers and 1 All-Pro this year.
Devoid of talent at RB, will have to cut Mike Williams and probably draft a WR at 5 or 2nd round, no talent at TE.

Bosa can’t stay healthy and could be a cap casualty (or a year away from being one). Derwin James has been largely disappointing. Khalil Mack is aging.

This is the roster that you’re talking about :lol:. It’s just not a good comparison. He was walking into a a much more talented roster that was poorly coached. I’m most curious to see what type of offense he runs with Herbert, but yea this is not the SF situation at all.

Last edited:
With how light in the pants NFL defenses have gotten, this might be the right time for Jim to swing the pendulum in the other direction.

You can get by with a committee approach at RB, but those TE/FB and OL rooms are going to need some talent for it to work.

Hearing some of the details in regards to Nico's case re-affirms why programs like USC don't go all in with the NIL. EVERYONE is watching that case to see what happens. If it goes in favor of Tennessee, USC, and others will now be able to go all in with kids coming out of high school. Precedent will be set.

20240131_122928.jpg

The current system is probably unsustainable

He also probably thought he was going to use BC to launch to a bigger CFB job and it didn’t quite happen.

We’ve seen CFB coaches running to the NFL as quickly as they can in recent years. Definitely will be a trend that continues.

Hafley flirted with the hot seat this year and is probably just getting out now before he gets fired next season. BC is a tough job, but I wouldn’t read that much into it.

Hafley flirted with the hot seat this year and is probably just getting out now before he gets fired next season. BC is a tough job, but I wouldn’t read that much into it.
I think a lot of coaches still will prefer coaching in the league than CFB with the portal and NIL, though. There’s just less opportunities and most P5 coaches aren’t taking coordinator jobs.

I think a lot of coaches still will prefer coaching in the league than CFB with the portal and NIL, though. There’s just less opportunities and most P5 coaches aren’t taking coordinator jobs.

Yeah. There just aren’t going to be as many lifer college football coaches anymore. I’m of the opinion that’s bad for college football and the schools.

I really like Hafley and thought he was the next up and comer. I think he's smart going to the league, especially a franchise like GB

Back
Top Bottom