OFFICIAL 2023-2024 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD *THE START OF THE MICHIGAN WOLVERINE DYNASTY; UPDATE 1/24/2024: THE END OF THE MICHIGAN DYNASTY*

Who will win the 2023 College Football Playoffs?

• the Ohio State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alabama

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • UGA

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • LSU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Texas

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Michigan

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Other

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He would have thrown for far fewer yards and not won the Heisman.
Fewer passing yards but more rushing yards

Dunno about Heisman chances but I could've totally pictured him having a Shoelace-type season with that squad.

Just from that list (naming guys with some combination of exceptional college and pro careers):

1. Ohio State (Santonio Holmes, Ted Ginn, Mike Thomas, Curtis Samuel, Terry McLaurin, Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson, JSN, MHJ)

2. USC (Keary Colbert, Mike Williams, Dwayne Jarrett, Robert Woods, Marqise Lee, Nelson Agholor, JuJu, Michael Pittman, ARSB, Drake, Addison, Tajh Washington)

3. Alabama (Julio, Cooper, Calvin Ridley, Jaylen Waddle, Devante Smith, Jameson Williams, John Metchie, Henry Ruggs)

4. LSU (Mike Clayton, Dwayne Bowe, OBJ, Jarvis Landry, Justin Jefferson, Jamar Chase)
I forgot about Jefferson. That’s enough to put them at 1 when you throw in OBJ and Nabers and Thomas coming. I was just thinking Chase and OBJ.

I do think the level of talents has to be considered.

JJ seems like one of the biggest unknowns in the draft. If you’re watching his tape there isn’t much to see since he was at a program that ran an offense where he wasn’t asked to do much (which is a rarity these days) but when they did need him he never lost them any games and it clearly worked out well for him and Michigan. He’s obviously got the talent and is impressing people enough to have him in the first round

Louis Riddick said at the combine he’s hearing top 5 hype with JJ which seems ridiculous to me even as a Michigan fan, but I don’t think JJ > Daniels as a prospect is a crazy take.

Daniels is two years older and there should be serious question marks about his ability to hold up physically at the next level with his playing style.

Personally I’m not a huge fan of either and would have Penix as my QB3.
I think it’s a crazy take. But we go through this with a white QB who has seemingly not shown enough from a production standpoint but has the measurable that these scouts like basically every year.

JJ seems like one of the biggest unknowns in the draft. If you’re watching his tape there isn’t much to see since he was at a program that ran an offense where he wasn’t asked to do much (which is a rarity these days) but when they did need him he never lost them any games and it clearly worked out well for him and Michigan. He’s obviously got the talent and is impressing people enough to have him in the first round

I meant this year. He had a couple bad games (bowling green and Maryland) but never put them in danger of losing
National Champions against Bowling Green stats mean probably the least to me. They probably went into that game with the mindset of trying some things they otherwise wouldn’t try just to see if it would work.

How does opting in and getting a $600 check stop him from focusing on actual football? It’ll be more of a distraction if he opts out, what a clown :lol:

“. In dispatching his scouts to all-star games, Poles directed evaluators to ask about the 2022 Heisman winner when they interviewed Oklahoma Sooners or USC players, or others who crossed paths with Williams. The returns there were good. Sometimes, you can get awkward pauses, if players are lukewarm on teammates they’re asked about. It was the opposite in this case. The mention of Williams’s name brought about a lot of smiles.

• In interviewing then USC assistant Kliff Kingsbury for their offensive coordinator job in Los Angeles in January, the Bears did a ton of fact-finding. Kingsbury described a player beloved by his coaches and teammates, and also gave the Bears very real insight into Williams’s father, and how involved he was. The quarterback’s dad, Kingsbury told them, was sharp, and someone that Williams leaned on a lot business-wise. But the father left the football part to his kid; Kingsbury explained to Chicago he saw the dad maybe once last year at USC’s practice facility.

• And there was, of course, evaluating film. Maybe the most interesting part (to me, at least) is how Poles’s background with the Kansas City Chiefs, working under GMs John Dorsey and Brett Veach, changed the way he, and so many other scouts, looked at the quarterback position. In identifying, drafting, and then watching the career of Patrick Mahomes, all those people learned to put a greater premium on creativity and playmaking at the position.

That left the Bears to come to Indianapolis for the combine to move into the final stages of firming up their quarterback plan.

On Wednesday at 10:40 p.m. (the second-to-last window of the night), Chicago had its formal interview with Williams in the suites of Lucas Oil Stadium. Poles was joined by the five people who are the point men in the Williams evaluation process: coach Matt Eberflus, offensive coordinator Shane Waldron, pass-game coordinator Thomas Brown, assistant GM Ian Cunningham and team president Kevin Warren.

What they saw from Williams in that setting was an easy confidence, and a player who was not concerned much with what other people thought of him. That last part is key, because the Bears have tried to drill down on making sure the person they pick first can handle the pressure and spotlight of the Chicago market.”

I guess. I'm just skeptical of drafting a quarterback who has been a game manager their entire career. There was only one game this season where he attempted more than 30 passes. Throughout the season he averaged less than 200 yards per game.
Also, in the back half of the Michigan season when their schedule got a little bit tougher they basically took the ball out of JJ's hands.

I specifically remember in the Penn State game there were some crucial third and long situations where they just ran the ball as opposed to having JJ throw it. It's the safe thing to do in a game where the opponent can't move the ball but it doesn't show a lot of confidence in the QB.

Even in the Rose Bowl, for all the credit he gets for leading the game winning drive he still went 10 for 18, barely completing 50% of his passes, and there was a two and a half quarter stretch where Michigan could not move the ball at all against the Alabama defense and JJ looked rattled.

He's a talented kid but he's never really been in a difficult situation where he's been asked to win a game. If I were going to use it first round pick I would want evidence that he can do it as opposed to hoping he can figure it out at the NFL level.

This is surprising. Thought he’d get an OC gig somewhere. I suppose that could be what this OU situation is, sort of how Sark was a spotter for Kiffin.

JJ McCarthy has Mitchell Trubisky written all over him. He’s worth the risk though. I could see Denver or Jets taking him. Top 20 more than likely

Famous last words

I truly hope he finds somewhere else and can see the field. The dude is injury prone and the little bit we have seen of him wasn’t pretty

Then again, the supposed starting QB they got in the transfer portal lost his starting job to freaking Adrian Martinez and then to a freshman. But don’t tell moron buckeye fans that, they think he’s the great white hope based off YouTube highlight videos

I truly hope he finds somewhere else and can see the field. The dude is injury prone and the little bit we have seen of him wasn’t pretty

Then again, the supposed starting QB they got in the transfer portal lost his starting job to freaking Adrian Martinez and then to a freshman. But don’t tell moron buckeye fans that, they think he’s the great white hope based off YouTube highlight videos
Lol most of our fan base was mad he was coming and that he ran off Malachi :lol:

Lol most of our fan base was mad he was coming and that he ran off Malachi :lol:

I think he truly did get shafted in the QB battle with McCord due to behind the scenes politics but the kid is just not very good. He’s got a damn good attitude but that’s not going to win games

Back
Top Bottom