OFFICIAL 2023-2024 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD *THE START OF THE MICHIGAN WOLVERINE DYNASTY; UPDATE 1/24/2024: THE END OF THE MICHIGAN DYNASTY*

Who will win the 2023 College Football Playoffs?

• the Ohio State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alabama

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • UGA

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • LSU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Texas

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Michigan

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Other

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They swerved Arch with $60k to "promote" the game.

I think I read somewhere the NFLPA split on Madden games was like $300m a year, but Madden's revenue has always dumpstered NCAA and it's probably only gotten worse with the live service aspects of that franchise that I can't imagine NCAA is likely to lean as far into.

Nevermind the impossibility of figuring out the financial logistics of paying 13,500 CFB athletes anywhere near the same figures.

This will just end up in them picking and choosing the Shadeur Sanders and Caleb Williams and Arch Mannings of the world and giving them larger checks to advertise on socials, and everyone else is gonna get small figures.

Last edited:
They swerved Arch with $60k to "promote" the game.

I think I read somewhere the NFLPA split on Madden games was like $300m a year, but Madden's revenue has always dumpstered NCAA and it's probably only gotten worse with the live service aspects of that franchise that I can't imagine NCAA is likely to lean as far into.

Nevermind the impossibility of figuring out the financial logistics of paying 13,500 CFB athletes anywhere near the same figures.

This will just end up in them picking and choosing the Shadeur Sanders and Caleb Williams and Arch Mannings of the world and giving them larger checks to advertise on socials, and everyone else is gonna get small figures.

As they should. The 4th string tackle at Arkansas State shouldn’t get anywhere near what a Quinn Ewers does to promote the game

The crazy thing is even if 70% of CFB players opted out this game would still be doing insane numbers I’m sure :lol:

As they should. The 4th string tackle at Arkansas State shouldn’t get anywhere near what a Quinn Ewers does to promote the game

The crazy thing is even if 70% of CFB players opted out this game would still be doing insane numbers I’m sure :lol:
They could all opt out and someone would have full roster downloads out before the game officially released.

It wouldn't matter. USC kids opt out, cool. I'll never know cuz I downloaded a roster before I started playing 👍

That's the hard part about them trying to draw a line in the sand over whether or not it's enough or fair value. It ultimately doesn't matter at all.

They could all opt out and someone would have full roster downloads out before the game officially released.

It wouldn't matter. USC kids opt out, cool. I'll never know cuz I downloaded a roster before I started playing 👍

That's the hard part about them trying to draw a line in the sand over whether or not it's enough or fair value. It ultimately doesn't matter at all.
So EA is blocking roster editing. They say it’s because of NIL but I suspect it’s really just to avoid any of the image and likeness lawsuits they faced in the past (like when they accidentally left Tebow’s name in the game code for Florida) and to force players’ hands: “opt in or don’t see yourself in it at all.”

Interesting. Seems like a ton of players on USC’s roster opted out of the videogame. I know Caleb spoke out last year over what he felt was EA’s undervaluation of the worth of individual players with the $600 number. I wonder if that played a part in so many choosing not to opt in. Or if they’ll say it’s just to avoid being distracted.

Based on early sales projections and the hype the game has … Caleb was probably right about $600 being too low. Going to be interesting what happens next year when EA has to renegotiate the payout to players.

Guys like Caleb were always going to get broken off individually, so I don’t really understand why it would have if that is indeed the case.

Again though, is USC’s third string DT’s image and likeness worth more than $600?

You could argue most of the G5 guys are getting overpaid, and the 1% who actually move the needle in a significant way are getting broken off individually. It’s really only that upper middle class of player that’s honestly getting screwed here.

Guys like Caleb were always going to get broken off individually, so I don’t really understand why it would have if that is indeed the case.

Again though, is USC’s third string DT’s image and likeness worth more than $600?

You could argue most of the G5 guys are getting overpaid, and the 1% who actually move the needle in a significant way are getting broken off individually. It’s really only that upper middle class of player that’s honestly getting screwed here.

Agreed.

Though I question G5 players getting the same as P5 with no union there to insist on the pay equality.

20240713_205720.jpg

@aepps20

LFG!!! 🤟🏿🤟🏿🤟🏿

People on Twitter forget he got mad at Texas because the black players protested the racist school anthem during a game he was visiting for

Jumping to the Big 12 is a lateral move unless the conference is also paying for the exit fee and giving them higher revenue than the rest of the conference.

B12 is prob the last conference they’ve talked to :lol:. Moving there would be a L and mean that the B1G and SEC both said no
For what it’s worth, Scheer is the Arizona beat writer and the first person who had an actual on record report about the 4 corners jumping and a timeline. If he’s saying a source told him that it’s prob at least someone in the big 12 letting him know they’re working towards it.

For what it’s worth, Scheer is the Arizona beat writer and the first person who had an actual on record report about the 4 corners jumping and a timeline. If he’s saying a source told him that it’s prob at least someone in the big 12 letting him know they’re working towards it.
Somebody telling him they’re working towards it doesn’t mean it’s true. There’s ongoing litigation, a $100+ break fee and the Big 12 is less desirable than the ACC.

Man this sucks for the kid. Walk on that was about to be rewarded a scholarship and most likely be the 3rd string RB. Also kills the depth, obviously there is Henderson and Judkins but Henderson has been injury prone every season :smh:

Somebody telling him they’re working towards it doesn’t mean it’s true. There’s ongoing litigation, a $100+ break fee and the Big 12 is less desirable than the ACC.
Oh I agree. I’ve told you I don’t believe any of those schools are gonna pay that buyout. I’m just saying Scheer reporting it probably means it’s big 12 officials telling him that. Yormak ran this exact same playbook, leaking rumors through certain press to destabilize and peel teams away from the PAC.

Am I missing something here? The Big 12 lost its only two schools worth a damn. The ACC lost no one. In what world does it make sense to move to a makeshift conference that had to invite a bunch of G5 schools and Pac-12 afterthoughts just to stay alive?

If true, this reeks of desperation. FSU and Clemson are better off swallowing their pride and riding it out in the ACC under the current Grant of Rights.

Am I missing something here? The Big 12 lost its only two schools worth a damn. The ACC lost no one. In what world does it make sense to move to a makeshift conference that had to invite a bunch of G5 schools and Pac-12 afterthoughts just to stay alive?

If true, this reeks of desperation. FSU and Clemson are better off swallowing their pride and riding it out in the ACC under the current Grant of Rights.

I think long term the B12 is in a better spot of stability than the ACC. Once that contract is up you know the B1G/SEC is going to take Miami, UNC, Va Tech, Duke, and a few others (FSU and Clemson should they not leave for the B12). It’s only a matter of time IMO.

Again, the B12 isn’t a “better” conference but it’s long term stability looks better than the ACC’s

Because the ACC has the most restrictive media deal of the P4 and it runs through 2036. By comparison the big 12 media deal comes up in 2030-31 and only pays out $8M less annually than the ACC deal. Plus if the Big 12 helps the schools cover their buyout expenses with the ACC it would be a win win for both because it would allow them to get out of the ACC grant of rights and to the market 5-6 years sooner than they would be able to otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom