OFFICIAL 2023-2024 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD *THE START OF THE MICHIGAN WOLVERINE DYNASTY; UPDATE 1/24/2024: THE END OF THE MICHIGAN DYNASTY*

Who will win the 2023 College Football Playoffs?

• the Ohio State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alabama

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • UGA

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • LSU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Texas

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Michigan

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Other

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I didn’t realize they play NDSU. Feel like things could get ugly there if they start off 0-2.

NDSU could easily win that game if CU doesn’t have their **** together in the trenches.

I didn’t realize they play NDSU. Feel like things could get ugly there if they start off 0-2.

NDSU could easily win that game if CU doesn’t have their **** together in the trenches.

ah-****-here-we-go-again-ah-****.gif

College coaches upset because they ACTUALLY have to work harder and not rely on reputation or the institute’s reputation…?

It’s like ever since they’ve had to start paying players, everyone has a grievance. After 30, 40, 50+ years of generating money from student athletes and not sharing the pot, the chickens have come home to roost.

College coaches upset because they ACTUALLY have to work harder and not rely on reputation or the institute’s reputation…?

It’s like ever since they’ve had to start paying players, everyone has a grievance. After 30, 40, 50+ years of generating money from student athletes and not sharing the pot, the chickens have come home to roost.
Eh, the system just isn’t really sustainable. The amount of movement through the portal, your roster being tampered with constantly, having to beg donors for money to be able to pay your roster. The NCAA has provided so little guidance from a rules making perspective that it makes this all worse.

Eh, the system just isn’t really sustainable. The amount of movement through the portal, your roster being tampered with constantly, having to beg donors for money to be able to pay your roster. The NCAA has provided so little guidance from a rules making perspective that it makes this all worse.
A fix would be to reasonably regulate the type of NIL you can get (but not the amount) and let schools use their athletics revenue to pay the players and create a salary cap based on experience.

But the schools don’t want to pay taxes and don’t want to risk players unionizing as employees so the govt would have to carve out (unconstitutional?) exemptions first before they’d even consider that.

As things currently stand, Ohio state who makes 9 figures from football and pays their coach an 8 figure salary, begging for middle class fans to donate so they can raise $13M and keep up this nonprofit facade is an embarrassing state of affairs.

Last edited:
Just to add to the Hafley discourse, I agree with Bobby Layne Bobby Layne that Jeff is not the canary in the coal mine. He was a coach with a losing record who was probably getting fired in a year or two. He also made $3M per year and is now with one of the top franchises in the NFL, where he’s probably going to make more money than he was at BC and has a faster track to NFL HC after failing to jump to a major FBS job. He is not the typical experience or situation.

USC hiring Eric Henderson away from the Rams/Falcons is also proof that not every coach will choose an NFL job over CFB.

THAT said, I think what we’re seeing in the media is expression of the fear that outside the top teams in the FBS, college football will just be less fun for the coaches and fans of teams who can’t keep up and can’t grind and recruit and fundraise 24/7, 365. Now that players have agency the sport is objectively about talent acquisition and retention. I’m not saying that’s good or bad just acknowledging what it is. It was probably always that but now it’s in everyone’s face and they don’t like it.

The irony is the same media that’s complaining “what has college football become” are the same corporations that made it this by killing conferences, killing traditions, and making it clear to all involved that the $ is over everything else.

/rant

I look at it from this perspective (I don’t have any kids) but imagine if you’re a parent or caretaker of one of these young men.

The Jordan Addison’s, Michael Penix, and Caleb Williams are different. Addison was a biletnikoff winner at Pitt and probably a 1st rounder regardless of whether he transferred to USC. Caleb took his OU job from another dude who was a 5 star in Spencer Rattler.

Again, those 3 guys (Caleb, Addison and Penix) were probably already going to be 1st or 2nd rounders anyway. Penix and Williams transferred due to their COACHES leaving.

Again, college coaches notoriously leave for better jobs and leave recruits stuck sometimes.

Now, the recruits can transfer if their coaches leave and either join their coach, or go elsewhere.

Some dudes transfer because they just weren’t good and were overrated anyway (JT Daniels)

But back to my point about being a parent. (Not sure if you’re a parent or not) but if your kid wanted to transfer to make more money AND he was already damn good and performed at his prior institution, why not transfer and make more?

My only issue is dudes transferring because they don’t want to compete or, just weren’t good anyway. If a dude is good to great and transfers to get paid more, I’m all for it.

My biggest issue with college sports is the rankings system and these dudes being paraded around, taking pics in team gear. But, when they don’t pan out, a lot of these young dudes go into deep depression and suffer mental issues because they were told that they are the #1, #2, or a top 100 prospect, so on and so forth.

Dudes tend to get a wake up call after being ranked so highly, but realize it’s competitive once they step foot on campus and don’t want any parts of it.

The 1-5 star system, etc is mentally damaging to a lot of these kids.

Don't think there will be a mass Exodus of coaches to the NFL primarily because there aren't nearly as many NFL jobs (32 head coaching jobs, 32 OC jobs and 32 DC jobs) and because the NFL doesn't want most college coaches.

The vast majority of college coaches are not elite Xs and Os guys. Even the high level, elite championship winning college football are primarily elite recruiters and motivators, two skills that aren't nearly as important in the NFL.

Regardless of how much money they are making coaches are frustrated with the lack of structure in the sport. At the end of the day, it is not the fault of the coaches that they're in this situation. It is athletic directors, conference commissioners and NCAA leadership who have brought the sport to this untenable situation.

USC hiring Eric Henderson away from the Rams/Falcons is also proof that not every coach will choose an NFL job over CFB.
Let’s see how long those guys stay there. We’ve seen rising young coaches on the pro level use college jobs to expedite their trajectory (e.g., Joe Brady, Mike McDonald, etc.)

Regardless of how much money they are making coaches are frustrated with the lack of structure in the sport. At the end of the day, it is not the fault of the coaches that they're in this situation. It is athletic directors, conference commissioners and NCAA leadership who have brought the sport to this untenable situation.

A lot of these “coaches” who benefitted never went to bat for players getting paid. Saban and Dabo always balked at it.

Coaches are just as complicit as the universities. They’ve had huge salaries for decades while all players got was a jumpsuit, game console and a couple pairs of shoes for bowl games. Yeah, some coaches and recruiters have “bag dropped” over the years but they never fought hard enough for player pay.

Last edited:
Just to add to the Hafley discourse, I agree with Bobby Layne Bobby Layne that Jeff is not the canary in the coal mine. He was a coach with a losing record who was probably getting fired in a year or two. He also made $3M per year and is now with one of the top franchises in the NFL, where he’s probably going to make more money than he was at BC and has a faster track to NFL HC after failing to jump to a major FBS job. He is not the typical experience or situation.

THAT said, I think what we’re seeing in the media is expression of the fear that outside the top teams in the FBS, college football will just be less fun for the coaches and fans of teams who can’t keep up and can’t grind and recruit and fundraise 24/7, 365. Now that players have agency the sport is objectively about talent acquisition and retention. I’m not saying that’s good or bad just acknowledging what it is. It was probably always that but now it’s in everyone’s face and they don’t like it.

The irony is the same media that’s complaining “what has college football become” are the same corporations that made it this by killing conferences, killing traditions, and making it clear to all involved that the $ is over everything else.

/rant

yes-no.gif

Hate to see David taking this route. David Pollack and the champ Bailey where my two favorite players growing up and those are the guys that got me into Georgia football.

Since he got fired from ESPN he's gone total evangelical Christian, grievance politics route. I think he is trying to campaign to get a job at one of those conservative news outlets.

I promise that his next post will be about libs trying to "cancel him and how he feels persecuted as a Christian in America

Hate to see David taking this route. David Pollack and the champ Bailey where my two favorite players growing up and those are the guys that got me into Georgia football.

Since he got fired from ESPN he's gone total evangelical Christian, grievance politics route. I think he is trying to campaign to get a job at one of those conservative news outlets.

I promise that his next post will be about libs trying to "cancel him and how he feels persecuted as a Christian in America

He’s been a Jesus freak. Even dating back to his UGA days (there’s absolutely nothing wrong with being religious, I’ll make that clear) but a lot of these people are borderline obsessive.

Jesus was literally persecuted because his movement and “enlightening” his followers which makes it ironic :lol: :lol:

He's already posting that stuff.

He's reposted Sage Steele and said things like "people shouldn't be afraid of getting canceled for speaking the truth."

Also that progressive christianity is not christianity then doesn't reply when people ask for examples :lol:

He’s been a Jesus freak. Even dating back to his UGA days (there’s absolutely nothing wrong with being religious, I’ll make that clear) but a lot of these people are borderline obsessive.

Jesus was literally persecuted because his movement and “enlightening” his followers which makes it ironic :lol: :lol:
Right. Someone asked him if he realizes Jesus was persecuted for being "woke" and he side stepped it and said all that's left is the true gospel.

It's amazing to me these so called christians speaking the loudest are about "ending" something, going "against" something, and (best part) attaching it to a political party theme.

And finishing the sermon by attaching Elon Musk's handle to it.

Yep, this is exactly what Jesus wanted.

Back
Top Bottom