Official 49ers Offseason Thread: Time to re-evaluate the draft...

My friend works for the 49ers and said that D Jax was straight thug in his interview so that turned them off a bit and were going to take Malcom Kelly butdidnt clear by the team doctor. Take it for what its worth.

Anyway this draft wasn't sexy but should patch up some holes.

Originally Posted by patrickcakes

Glad we picked up Cameron Colvin. Bay Area guy. I think he was a top WR coming out of De La Salle.

Hope we go after Grice-Mullen or Bess out of HI, too.

Nevermind. Grice-Mullen went to the Texans, and Bess to the Dolphins. Here's a list of the Niners' undrafted FAs:

49ers TE Joe Jon Finley (Oklahoma)
49ers WR Cameron Colvin (Oregon)
49ers LB Ezra Butler (University of Nevada)
49ers WR Robert Jordan (University of California)
49ers LB Gary Guyton (Georgia Tech)

pimp.gif

Robert Jordan
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

both of those undrafted WR FAs definitely have a shot at making the roster if they perform well. those are not bums....

Good draft. People sometimes forget that the draft isn't a popularity contest. It's about filling holes that needed to be filled, and we did that.

Originally Posted by dfresh244

My friend works for the 49ers and said that D Jax was straight thug in his interview so that turned them off a bit and were going to take Malcom Kelly but didnt clear by the team doctor. Take it for what its worth.

niners have been pulling this BS for a while...

they turned down Rodgers as the #1 pick overall because Alex Smith was a "yes-man" and Rodgers questioned some of Nolan's motives.
and if EITHER or BOTH Jackson and Rodgers become top tier players and they were not selected by the 49ers SOLELY BECAUSE OF THIS REASON....
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Originally Posted by offbad

My friend works for the 49ers and said that D Jax was straight thug in his interview so that turned them off a bit and were going to take Malcom Kelly but didnt clear by the team doctor. Take it for what its worth.

they turned down Rodgers as the #1 pick overall because Alex Smith was a "yes-man" and Rodgers questioned some of Nolan's motives.
and if EITHER or BOTH Jackson and Rodgers become top tier players and they were not selected by the 49ers SOLELY BECAUSE OF THIS REASON....
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

If true, it would explain why he dropped as low as he did. Probably acted the same with other teams, can't blame the Niners on that one.

It was a solid draft overall. I would have liked to seen a playmaker taken earlier in the draft but we definitley filled a lot of needs.

Naaaa.......I just looked at our draft from 2003.....THAT is the worst draft ever......Look

Kwame Harris-------Sucks (Sucked, PAST TENSE, FINALLY!!!!!!)

Anthony Adams--------Was hurt right before he came (I think), but sucks

Andrew Williams--------Sucks

Brandon Lloyd-------Had a couple nice catches, but thats it

Aaron Walker--------Sucks

Arnaz Battle--------ehhh, he shoulda went out of bounds, or fell and called a timeout.........SOMETHING!!!!

Ken Dorsey----------Who??

Yeah I agree with the Jackson/Rodgers comment to an extent, but Nolan was running the whole process during the Rodgers evaluation, with McCloughan andMcCarthy's opinions falling on (Nolan's) deaf ears. DJax probably ticked off everybody
laugh.gif

Robert Jordan getting a chance at home in the Bay
pimp.gif
...thats the best news I heard all day

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
The niners didn't pick Rodgers but a whole slew of teams passed up on him as well. Something about being a Cal QB in the league ...

Arnaz Battle--------ehhh, he shoulda went out of bounds, or fell and called a timeout.........SOMETHING!!!!
roll.gif

^from what I remember not many teams had a pressing need at quarterback which is why Rodgers dropped so far..

You're right. But if he was as talented as he was just described to be, shouldn't a team picking in the teen's have swooped him up?

NEITHER Smith or Rodgers are worthy of being picked in the top 20 of ANY draft.

Dr 715 wrote:

laugh.gif
Co-sign. I'd rather have Brohm, Henne, JD Booty, etc. out ofthis draft alone.
If Leinart came out a year earlier, he would be a Niner.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by patrickcakes

Dr 715 wrote:

laugh.gif
Co-sign. I'd rather have Brohm, Henne, JD Booty, etc. out of this draft alone.
If Leinart came out a year earlier, he would be a Niner.
laugh.gif

hahahaha that's EXACTLY why he didn't come out...
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

booty maybe... henne i'm not sold on (how long has he beenin college??
laugh.gif
), brohm is a project IMHO

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

haha you're kidding right?
anyways, he was like 38-2 or whatever at Miami (FL) but had a horrible weak arm. some people said he was the next comingof Montana and had a crazy game IQ.. i think he's liek a 3rd stringer somewhere now these days..
nerd.gif

Cameron Colvin is a damn good kid. Great character and tough as hell. Once he recovers fully from his injury, he's going to be a problem. Good Job Niners.

Colvin is in my fraternity(Pike) and I'm glad hes getting a shot he is actually a pretty good guy and has gone through some tough times and deserveseverything he gets. And if he was healthy this year he would have been a 3rd or 4th rounder easily.

Hey guys Reggie Smith is an awesome DB. He covers good and lays the wood. Enjoy
pimp.gif

Also Finley is an awesome TE for depth.

I like the Colvin pick-up....Jordan..ehh he's downy soft, his hands are questionable, and he weighs 160 soaking wet.

Jordan is soft but Colvin isn't? Marcus Ezeff might have something to say about that
laugh.gif
He's definitely a light guy, but his hands are not and havenever been questionable. He had the best hands on the team for four straight seasons (see: Lavelle Hawkins, DeSean Jackson, Craig Stevens, Eric Beegun, SamDeSa (did he ever make a catch?
laugh.gif
), Geoff McArthur (USC game/broke his arm over his knee by not using his hands at practice SMH poor guy), Chase Lyman, thelist goes on). It's cool that the Niners signed Colvin, but I cannot believe I'm seeing a Cal fan diss the most reliable receiver we've had in theTedford era. The sig speaks for itself.

And are you sure you guys don't have Arnaz Battle confused with Cedrick Wilson?

And are you sure you guys don't have Arnaz Battle confused with Cedrick Wilson?
The game against the Rams back in '03? When there was time left on the clock but he tried to be a hero? UGH! Don't remind me aboutthat.

Excited Balmer arrives in Bay Area, issued ugly number

Kentwan Balmer, the North Carolina defensive linemen whom the 49ers selected Saturday with the No. 29 overall pick in the draft, was scheduled to be introducedduring a press conference Sunday. But he was not able to get to the Bay Area until late Sunday night.

He will step on the field for the first time Friday with the 49ers. The entire team is scheduled to report for a mandatory three-day minicamp at the club'sSanta Clara practice facility.

The 49ers will practice from 10:30 a.m. to noon on Friday, followed by a 4-5:30 p.m. workout. On Saturday, the will have the same practice schedule. On Sunday,the 49ers will practice from 9:30 to 11 a.m. All practices are closed to the public.

The entire team will be excused until the OTAs begin on June 2. (The vast majority of the vets stick around to take part in the offseason conditioningprogram.)

Balmer is at the team's offices. He just held a conference call with the print reporters. He is a very charming person. His passion for the football andhis genuine excitement about playing for the 49ers was quite apparent.

Here are some of the highlights:

--He apologized to the media for showing up late. He was originally scheduled to take part in a 3 p.m. press conference. It was moved back to 7 p.m., and thencanceled altogether. He said it was a miscommunication on his part and some flight problems on his connection through Texas. He got in around 9 p.m. Coach JimTomsula picked him up at the airport and they talked quite a bit. "Everything was smooth," he said.

--He'll go back to North Carolina today and then he'll fly back to Santa Clara on Thursday evening for the minicamp.

--He has been issued No. 67. When told it was a pretty ugly number, he said, "No comment." He said he'll wear whatever number they want. (The49ers plan to change his number to something in the 90s, once a number becomes available.) He was told that nose tackle Pete Kugler wore that number and won acouple Super Bowls, Balmer said that's a tough act to follow. Kugler played for the 49ers from 1982-83 and 1986-90.

--He said he can't yet grasp he's a 49ers player. His dad is a big 49ers fan, and he said he can't be in a better situation or with a better team.He remembers the 49ers' Super Bowl victory against the Chargers in January 1995. That's one of his first football memories.

--He talked about a defensive goal-line stand of Natrone Means from that game. He said he always wanted to tackle people and he's had a defensivementality. That's why he remembers a defensive play in a game highlight by the 49ers' offense. He said he got in trouble for tackling during games oftag.

--He said they haven't talked about where exactly he's going to be playing. It doesn't matter whether it's end or nose. He said he played quitea bit of nose at North Carolina. He's a tall guy, but he can create the leverage. His current weight is 311.

--He said Saturday wasn't nerve-wracking while he waited for a team to select him. He said he wanted to be with the 49ers all along.

--As a nose tackle you have to have be prepared to do a lot of dirty work and allow others to gain all the glory. "When you put your hand on the ground,it takes a certain kind of guy to do that," he said. He said he's going to do whatever he takes to allow his defensive teammates, such as Lawson,Willis and Ulbrich to get in the best position to make plays.

--He still considers himself a fan. He has already gotten autographs from Nate Clements and Mike Nolan. He said they were a little surprise when he asked themfor their autographs. "It's still a game, and I'm still a fan of this game," Balmer said.

--Last night at the hotel in San Jose, a fan asked him for his autograph. Balmer said he was very uncomfortable signing an autograph. He said it was prettymessy, and he apologized to the guy. He wrote "Go Niners" and talked for a while with the fan.

--The autograph the 49ers want to see most is the one on his contract. He said he'll let his agent handle all of that. All Balmer wants to do is playfootball. He said he looks forward to putting on that jersey and getting to work.

Here are the jersey numbers that the draft picks have been issued:

Kentwan Balmer: No. 67 (will be changed to something in the 90s)

Chilo Rachal: No. 62

Cody Wallace: No. 65

Reggie Smith: No. 31

Josh Morgan: No. 84

Larry Grant: No. 57

I'm excited about this guy.

THAAAAATS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i got that one wrong, it was C. Wilson......My bad, its been a while, tried to forget that

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

haha you're kidding right?
anyways, he was like 38-2 or whatever at Miami (FL) but had a horrible weak arm. some people said he was the next coming of Montana and had a crazy game IQ.. i think he's liek a 3rd stringer somewhere now these days..
nerd.gif

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
You`re kidding about asking am i kidding, right?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I know who he is fam, he just aint dont ***@

Back
Top Bottom