OFFICIAL ADIDAS ANTHONY EDWARDS SNEAKER - ADIDAS AE1 (LOWS COMING SOON)

Great post. When you were playing at that time in those shoes, how tall were you? And what size shoe did you wear?

Me and @vettez06 have had some fun times over shoe weights but I don't talk much about shoe weight because it's just my own issues and for 99% of people who are like us, playing in the shoe, it's fine for them because it matches up.

Guards play in shoes meant for guards, forwards for forwards, and bigs for bigs.

But if you're guard sized person with center sized feet, like me, then you start noticing shoe weights. So as much as I like a few different models of Lebrons, them thangs will weigh me down when I play in em. I have the 16s which have lots of comfort and also lots of weight. As a guard I'm not going to be as fast in the 16s as I am in One Take IIs.

But for the majority of people playing (us, not nba players), if you're a guard you wear like size 10 & 1/2 or something, and it doesn't matter. So it's a fringe discussion that doesn't really need to take place, cause it's for like 5 people on the whole of NT. So like what's the point. You know what you need as a player and a sneakerhead, get that. And I had a lot of fun making "skipping sock day" jokes with @vettez06
I was 6'0, 185 lb. size 11.5 back then. I played in Iversons primarily but also some signature Jordan's (XI,XVI, XVII, XVIII) and a few VC Shox and Adidas Kobe I, II. Really can't remember what else. When it came to our actual school shoes we HAD to wear the shoes they bought for us. My freshman year we had team bank white/orange reebok questions which were BOATS to play in, then we got those adidas and they were more like battleships. I'm gonna try to find a picture right now you guys have to see these mf'ers.

Those Adidas A3s from back in the days were HORRENDOUS.
The adidas pro model 2gs though were nice lol.
The A3 were the ones!!! Just looked them up. Fellas if you were a lateral guard back in the day trying to make it these were the worst possible shoes you could have had been chosen for you.
1000004207.jpg

Great post. When you were playing at that time in those shoes, how tall were you? And what size shoe did you wear?

Me and @vettez06 have had some fun times over shoe weights but I don't talk much about shoe weight because it's just my own issues and for 99% of people who are like us, playing in the shoe, it's fine for them because it matches up.

Guards play in shoes meant for guards, forwards for forwards, and bigs for bigs.

But if you're guard sized person with center sized feet, like me, then you start noticing shoe weights. So as much as I like a few different models of Lebrons, them thangs will weigh me down when I play in em. I have the 16s which have lots of comfort and also lots of weight. As a guard I'm not going to be as fast in the 16s as I am in One Take IIs.

But for the majority of people playing (us, not nba players), if you're a guard you wear like size 10 & 1/2 or something, and it doesn't matter. So it's a fringe discussion that doesn't really need to take place, cause it's for like 5 people on the whole of NT. So like what's the point. You know what you need as a player and a sneakerhead, get that. And I had a lot of fun making "skipping sock day" jokes with @vettez06
6’1 185lbs and I’m a size 12. I’ve played in sneakers as light as the Kobe 8 and as heavy as the LeBron 4/AE 1s. If I had to make a top 5 performance all time, probably all 5 would be considered “heavy” lol of course from my own experience/preference but weight has never been the “it” factor.

6’1 185lbs and I’m a size 12. I’ve played in sneakers as light as the Kobe 8 and as heavy as the LeBron 4/AE 1s. If I had to make a top 5 performance all time, probably all 5 would be considered “heavy” lol of course from my own experience/preference but weight has never been the “it” factor.
Right on. My favorite sneakers ive ever played in were the lebron 2. Not light by any means but not tanks either

Agree that most shoetubers and people on forum (myself) can't fully maximize the full performance capabilities of the shoe but it feels good to have a pair of lighter shoes. came from the same era of hooping in bulky shoes (posits, heavy t macs with hardwood inside n other gimmick mechanism. etc) on a low level and im fine with playing in retros nike or jordans once in a while. but now that we're spoiled and being able to afford more shoes, i feel sluggish in shoes with heavily cushioned midsole bogging it down being a lighter guy myself. truth be told, lol you could hoop in anything back in HS, even the starburys felt fine.

Last edited:

I love this, "guard with an center sized foot" hit me like nail in the head :D 5'11 with US size 12-13 and even though I don't think weight plays so much of an big role, I will honestly say that I can see and feel the difference between playing in something like Kobe 4's and Jordan 32's. It's not necessarily better in either one of them, it really depends on the day which ones I prefer.

But one thing is for certain, I feel better playing in lighter shoes. And i feel 100% better the next day after playing in lighter shoes :D

Not a slight at you by any means because I know this is the general consensus, but I hate this mindset. I feel like people nowadays nitpick at shoe weight to the maximum. I was a pretty legitimate hooper for 20+ years from the 90's into the 2000's, and im not talking about YMCA, church league, blacktop hooper either. I'm talking legit hooper. I went to school for industrial design through the academy of art to become a sneaker designer. Jason Petrie and I used to share concepts with one another via AIM 😆 This was actually during his first gig with Fila basketball but we were working on an alpha project re-vamp. I say all of this not to be bragadocious, but I do know a little bit about performance testing and design.

Thinking that cutting down a shoes weight by say 1.3 ounces is gonna enhance performance is an absurdity. You want to really talk about weight issues in a shoe? Try hooping in team adidas that were built for power forwards your entire senior year of high school as a point guard with scouts watching you every game. I'll try to find a picture of them but there's no doubt in my mind that each of those shoes weighed more than a small mouth bass. When I see these youtubers like Dr. Zatch and Squeak Test Boy rambling on with their weight comparisons as if they're actually of athletic stature for it to even matter, I just laugh internally.

The era we're in now has sacrificed design for performance, when in reality you can have both. To end this rant, I again would like to note that I'm not directing this at you but rather the general viewpoint of this whole shaving weight trend.
Way to educate that kid.

Not only that, there is actual belief that you need a solid bit of weight to shoe for containment, and just for explosive movements, having too light of a pair of shoes can actually be a problem. We’ve seen a litany of bad lower body injuries ever since this wave of plastics and synthetics with overtly gimmicky lightweight shoes started. Which I believe started right around 2011 or 2012 era.

The AE1 is slightly heavier than a lot of current models but once it’s on your feet, it’s not bad by any means, not even noticeable and if anybody thinks slightly reducing the weight of a basketball shoe is actually making them faster or jump higher, they’re wrong.

I’m glad they’re extending the life of this first model through the rest of the year. I slept for way too long on them, even though I liked them visually I just never thought Adidas basketball shoes in this day and age would sell out like that.

I love that Anthony Edwards and Adidas are leaning into futuristic design template, or even kind of back to the future design as it was in the early 2000s with the Kobe line, but with more modern lightweight materials and less clunky. I’ve gotten sick and tired of Gen Z’s fascination with plain, and really old design language. Stuff like the new balance 550 and the Nike dunk low and the Nike Air Force One. You can see it in Devon Booker shoe, which I think is extraordinarily boring.

I’m not a fan of James Harden or his shoe, but his signature shoe and Anthony Edward shoe, they grab your attention from afar and up close. It’s really throwback to how they designed cool looking basketball shoes in the mid 90s to early 00s. Which in my opinion is the peak of basketball shoe design aesthetics wise.

Welp. As a Mavs fan guess I gotta ice my pairs until after the WCF. LOL.
I agree, I’m so torn. I’m going to watch the series and I don’t even know who I’m rooting for. The Mavericks are my second team since childhood, living out in Dallas. My three favorite players are in the series. Luka (#3), Kyrie, who was my favorite player in the league up until this past September through this season which is now clearly Anthony Edwards. I guess either way I win but lose? Lol

Aye since we're talking about men's appearances and Anthony Edwards, would y'all call him *checks note* a cutie patootie ? I Do y'all like his sig because he's handsome?
⏸️

Way to educate that kid.

Not only that, there is actual belief that you need a solid bit of weight to shoe for containment, and just for explosive movements, having too light of a pair of shoes can actually be a problem. We’ve seen a litany of bad lower body injuries ever since this wave of plastics and synthetics with overtly gimmicky lightweight shoes started. Which I believe started right around 2011 or 2012 era.

The AE1 is slightly heavier than a lot of current models but once it’s on your feet, it’s not bad by any means, not even noticeable and if anybody thinks slightly reducing the weight of a basketball shoe is actually making them faster or jump higher, they’re wrong.

I’m glad they’re extending the life of this first model through the rest of the year. I slept for way too long on them, even though I liked them visually I just never thought Adidas basketball shoes in this day and age would sell out like that.

I love that Anthony Edwards and Adidas are leaning into futuristic design template, or even kind of back to the future design as it was in the early 2000s with the Kobe line, but with more modern lightweight materials and less clunky. I’ve gotten sick and tired of Gen Z’s fascination with plain, and really old design language. Stuff like the new balance 550 and the Nike dunk low and the Nike Air Force One. You can see it in Devon Booker shoe, which I think is extraordinarily boring.

I’m not a fan of James Harden or his shoe, but his signature shoe and Anthony Edward shoe, they grab your attention from afar and up close. It’s really throwback to how they designed cool looking basketball shoes in the mid 90s to early 00s. Which in my opinion is the peak of basketball shoe design aesthetics wise.
In my experience, the key to a win in basketball design was always a sturdy base that is cushioned but responsive, containment in the forefoot, traction pattern, and lacing system. The reason the lebron 2 was my favorite shoe to hoop in was because the containment was out of this world good.

As far as aesthetics alone, the key is to push the envelope. My personal philosophy, or I suppose the questions I always reminded myself when I was starting from scratch, was: "How do I make people do a double take when they first see this?" and "What is the current trend and how do I separate from that". Nikes sig shoes have been absolutely trash lately. Whoever designed the Book 1, the Ja 1, the Giannis junkers, all need to take a page from what Adidas is doing right now. The sneaker public is ready to get back to "cool" basketball design. If it were as simple as merely submitting an application I'd throw my hat in the ring.

The samples are dope but I see why they didn't release em. The white toe. If that part was black they'd be fire.

What's the next actual release date we have for anything significant - a low, a mid, an actual restock, anything??

Back
Top Bottom