Official AFC West 2011 Season Thread | Week 17: Denver, Oakland to the wire; #1DEN #1OAK #4SD #4KC

Notes:

-Raiders make a easily manageable lead into a tight finish to the end. Again. The team is young, Hue is a first year head coach and we have injuries, but this is something that has to be corrected within the season if we're going to do anything in the playoffs if we make it there.
-Denver's offense does not possess anything that should be beating NFL defenses, but there you go, the Broncos in the hunt for the division title. What defense(s) will step up to answer the call? Dropping Orton to the waiver wire was a very shrewd move on John Elway's part, too. He must really want to win as much as possible, even if he'll have to face Orton if the Bears do pick him up.
-San Diego and the Chiefs are toast. I don't know what there is to say about Kansas. Their injuries doomed them from the start, seemingly. San Diego might just need to get blown up. Norv has no idea what he's doing anymore and Philip is going nuts with the picks. Granted, a lot of them aren't his fault I bet, but that boy has zero patience.

Still in first
pimp.gif
Broncos helping us out and ruining their draft position with each win.
laugh.gif

Congrats to the Broncos, they are playing way better than anyone on this board would give them credit for when they decided to start Tebow. Now that they lead the division due to having more division wins than the Raiders, it's time to consider the possibility that they will make the playoffs with Tebow. Onto notes:

Raiders:
-Horrible game for us in all three facets. Can't pass, can't run, can't stop the run, can't stop the pass, can't keep them grounded on special teams. This was the let down game that I felt was coming for a while, but I didn't have the strength to say it out loud. Gut check time, no doubt.

-Reading and hearing more criticism about the Palmer trade today, which was strangely absent the past few weeks. Can't we all agree that the trade isn't something we can firmly say was a failure/success until about next season? I take back anytime I said that the trade was a success. I will not render a decision on that until more time has passed. Given that, I still feel that the Raiders made the right decision to get him.

-Injuries. Hue's strategy for 'next man up' is noble and a challenge to each player to be ready to compete every week, but now is the time to consider taking off the mittens for some of our injured players. McFadden, yes, handling him gently is understandable and I do expect him to be out until he's completely healthy (Green Bay remains an option for him to return but, of course, we won't know until later this coming week). The WR's (Ford/Moore) need to be back, ASAP. Handicapping Palmer with just DHB and whatever ST player Hue throws in for whatever play is not going to work down the stretch. We treated the Dolphins game like a gimme, in my opinion. From here on there should be no holding back. All hands on deck, literally.

-The schedule runs like this: @GB, vs. DET, @KC, vs. SD. Who is confident that we can win 3/4 of these games? I'm not so long as we continue to have our WR issues. Denver's schedule? Vs. CHI, vs. NE, @BUF, vs. KC. Do you think they can win at least half those games? ****, with Tebow do you actually think they'll lose anymore on the way to the Super Bowl? (joking, kind of).

-Finally, a big congrats to the Dolphins. They smacked the Raiders up all game, and gave this team the gut check necessary in determining whether they have the mettle necessary for the playoffs. Good luck on the rest of the season.

Broncos fans stand up! We're finally getting some recognition! Raiders got trashed!
smile.gif
Let's take care of the pats next week!
smile.gif

It's only right we went down to the last week. Only #%+!+*% right. At least we still hold our destiny (I think, not sure what happens if SD wins) all I know is just beat KC next week. I said in the beginning of the year 9-7 wins this division and I was right
pimp.gif

Okay...So say SD loses today...And we lose next week AND Oakland loses...Do we still make the playoffs?

I PRAY we beat KC but man...idk

As disappointing as the Chiefs season may seem, they did a good job of making the AFCW the most competitive conference in the league. The conference this year was exciting, aside from the Chargers 6-game losing streak. Tebow + Palmer + the chiefs taking every conference game to the wire plus beating GB.
pimp.gif

We just need the chargers to win out to complete this epic year.

I picture the Chiefs throwing in the towel and get demolished next week. I just hope Kyle Orton wants payback

Originally Posted by Caerus

Okay...So say SD loses today...And we lose next week AND Oakland loses...Do we still make the playoffs?

I PRAY we beat KC but man...idk

The Broncos need a charger loss, and an oakland loss to secure the division. If the Chargers or the Raiders do not lose, the winner of the final Chargers/Raiders game will win the division, unless Denver beats KC. If Denver beats KC, Denver secures the division regardless.

Gut check game for the Raiders, and the team breaks through at the last moments to win. Nerves aside, we have to feel good about ourselves going into this last game at the Coliseum. Handle San Diego and hope that one of our two playoff opportunities open up to us. 
Onto the Raiders vs. Chiefs notes:
-FIRE BRESNAHAN. Seriously, do it now. I think Rod Woodson would do a better job handling the defense than this clown. Three man rush on 3rd and 31? Nevermind that any decent gain the Chiefs get will put them into FG range (which is what happened). The defense is undisciplined and out of sorts far too often to justify keeping him whether we can squeak into the playoffs or not.

-Palmer: man, what a way to showcase your worst and best attributes. Earlier this season (just before we started our three game skid) he mentioned that he was feeling fatigued trying to catch up in terms of conditioning. Am I the only one who was thinking about this with some of his passes? How about the pass into triple coverage with NO RAIDER receiver? How do we escape that? Of course, with the risk comes the reward, as he nets that beautiful lob to Moore for the TD and then in overtime the pass to Heyward-Bey on the opposite shoulder to set up the winning field goal. If this is what we'll be living with for the next three-four years, then so be it, so long as it equates to playoff berths and victories.

-McClain: beyond the knock down pass of Orton to Battle for that nearly certain TD, where has McClain been? I saw him on a replay shuffling his feet slightly in a play, hardly moving at all, at least 15 yards away from Orton, while movement and action is happening all over him. If he was camping out Orton, then fine. But I believe that replay was showing another KC first down happening to his left, where he could have been headed towards if he was prepared to move and move quickly. 

-Seymour, Giordano and (for the most part) Routt were awesome today, Seymour in particular. Absolutely vital to our win and hopefully inspires the rest of the team to perform out of their minds next week.

And finally,

-Heyward-Bey: this man has definitely come along. Making that catch to close out overtime was a milestone for him. Though he won't hit the 1,000 yard mark, he's our closest to breaking it since Randy did when he was here. Once Moore comes into his own as the first option on the WR corps, Heyward-Bey has definitely given himself the opportunity to become a reliable threat on the other side of the field. Give him one great offseason to continue developing those hands and working on his routes and we suddenly have a meaningful receiving threat on both sides of the field.

I bought my tickets for next week's game right after attending the Cleveland game, when we lost Campbell for the season. Even then, I felt like this team was headed for the postseason given the right direction by Hue. Granted, the last three weeks had me regretting buying the tickets so soon, today made me all the happier I did.

One more.

Tim Tebow is a real life troll and losing this week was all part of his plan
laugh.gif

Next week, they'll be down to the Chiefs by 8 points and with 2 seconds left in the game Tebow will throw a 103 yard pass for a touchdown. I can see it already
sick.gif

CorkOnTheNFL Steve Corkran 

Something tells me that Darren McFadden and Jacoby Ford will be healthy enough to play against the Chargers. Same goes for Michael Huff.

eek.gif
 if DMC plays but I doubt it. 

Back
Top Bottom