Votes: 237 10.1%
  • UNC

Votes: 77 3.3%
  • Kentucky

Votes: 19 0.8%
  • Neutral Grey

Votes: 32 1.4%

• Total voters
Funny because I’m sure those were manufactured pre-pandemic and Bloodlines around that same time had awesome leather. I’m not sure what happened to some of these releases but this was also at the height of the Air Jordan 1 popularity so I’m guessing they were pumping out pairs from various factories in any way they could.
I have to look at the production dates but most likely yeah they were manufactured before the pandemic started. Also, Bloodlines had dope quality leather for sure!

Out of curiosity how are the 01's in terms of comfort for you? I heard a lot of horror stories that the black/reds and royals from 01 were very uncomfortable.

Personally, I prefer the shape of 01s over the '13-Present releases (maybe it's the toe shape).

They're flatter (with a thinner sole) so you feel it more when walking (or during all-day wear).

There are definitely some comfort differences between 94, 01, and later retros.

Is there any classic that you don’t got?

603D51CD-8714-43FC-AF0B-9034A2200C16.gif

Seems like a few releases during the beginning of the pandemic had bad quality leather on the highs. I know the Court Purple 2.0's which released around the same time the royal toes came out had hard stiff leather similar to the garbage they put on the jumpman Jordan 1 mids and lows and was very disappointed in them quality wise. Either way, I still love the Court Purple 2.0's and is one of my personal favorites on the Jordan 1 Highs.
The court purple 2.0s leather felt good imo, the black panels on the royal toes felt cheap af, same garbage they used on the mochas, I'd say overall court purples had better quality than royal toes and mochas

Better in both quality and looks.
2017 Royals were an amazing release. Crazy how they didn’t have much resale either. Don’t know why they are so slept on, esp given 2013 Royals were going for like $1k before they released. I guess stock was just really high or something, far worse OG 1 cws we’re reselling for far more than those Royals (not even trying to complain as I doubled up at ~$210 resale back in 2017 lol).

2017 Royals were an amazing release. Crazy how they didn’t have much resale either. Don’t know why they are so slept on, esp given 2013 Royals were going for like $1k before they released. I guess stock was just really high or something, far worse OG 1 cws we’re reselling for far more than those Royals (not even trying to complain as I doubled up at ~$210 resale back in 2017 lol).
Also mighta had to do before the 2013 Royals released it was over 10 years since the last release and that built up hype also the fact it was one of the most popular og colorways.

Also mighta had to do before the 2013 Royals released it was over 10 years since the last release and that built up hype also the fact it was one of the most popular og colorways.
Royal threads (all 3-4 of them) were crazy during that time.
I know Ye is a shadow of his former self and a joke nowadays but I do think him rocking Royals a bunch back then probably helped bring a ton of hype to that 2013 release:

IMG_7766.jpeg

IMG_7767.jpeg

IMG_7769.jpeg

I know Ye is a shadow of his former self and a joke nowadays but I do think him rocking Royals a bunch back then probably helped bring a ton of hype to that 2013 release:

IMG_7766.jpeg

IMG_7767.jpeg

IMG_7769.jpeg
Nah.

01 Breds/Royals were a staple WDYWT grail for a lot of folks and a Royal retro was always sought after. There wasn't any real hype for them outside of that audience. The periodic breds releases, the oldlove/black toes, ajkos, shadows and chicagos that dropped right before the royals weren't getting much love in real life.

We were still in the foam hype around that time and the flyknit racers were starting to become a hype model.

Nah.

01 Breds/Royals were a staple WDYWT grail for a lot of folks and a Royal retro was always sought after. There wasn't any real hype for them outside of that audience. The periodic breds releases, the oldlove/black toes, ajkos, shadows and chicagos that dropped right before the royals weren't getting much love in real life.

We were still in the foam hype around that time and the flyknit racers were starting to become a hype model.

Both can be true. Sneakerheads been loved breds and royals, and kanye put non-sneakerheads onto them. The kanye effect was real in that early 2010s era. He bridged the gap between mainstream celebrity and sneaker icon. Remember the independence day hyperfuse air max 90s? You mentioned flyknits, people deadass called them yeknits. I was on the hypebeast forums at that time so it was fewer sneaker heads, more people into fashion as a whole. They dickrode kanye like crazy and bought into the royal/bred hype as a result of him 1000%.

disclaimer: I don't listen to kanye, I don't find style inspiration from kanye, I don't have any strong feelings about him as a person. But enough people have been influenced by his brand, his designs, and his outfits that I recognize his status as an icon.

Both can be true. Sneakerheads been loved breds and royals, and kanye put non-sneakerheads onto them. The kanye effect was real in that early 2010s era. He bridged the gap between mainstream celebrity and sneaker icon. Remember the independence day hyperfuse air max 90s? You mentioned flyknits, people deadass called them yeknits. I was on the hypebeast forums at that time so it was fewer sneaker heads, more people into fashion as a whole. They dickrode kanye like crazy and bought into the royal/bred hype as a result of him 1000%.

disclaimer: I don't listen to kanye, I don't find style inspiration from kanye, I don't have any strong feelings about him as a person. But enough people have been influenced by his brand, his designs, and his outfits that I recognize his status as an icon.
Ye stans being gassed by a shoe he wore isn't the same as general hype for a sneaker. He was also rocking AJKOs around that time and the pairs that didn't get mold all over them ended up at outlets or on sale for $60 at DTLR.

The concords were an example of hype for a sneaker release, even non-sneakerheads wanted them. They didn't need a Ye co-sign for that. Galaxy foamposites was a hype release, they didn't need a Ye co-sign.

The Royals were not a hyped up release and people didn't like they started raising the price and extra $30 just cause they removed the jumpman branding. The 88 3s the week before is what people were hyped for that month. The area 72 sneakers got more burn than the Royals all-star weekend.

I struck out on royals in 13 and 17

1689686455967.png

But I see what you mean. Hype as in like media coverage, commotion - not general demand and want for the shoe. Definitely a difference. I think kanye led to both (I'm still perplexed at mfs wanting those plastic air max 90s because of him) but yeah for the royals, I'd say he created more appreciation but not more hype.

Ye stans being gassed by a shoe he wore isn't the same as general hype for a sneaker.

The concords were an example of hype for a sneaker release, even non-sneakerheads wanted them. They didn't need a Ye co-sign for that. Galaxy foamposites was a hype release, they didn't need a Ye co-sign.
I’m not sure why both of these things can’t be true: pairs were hyped because of Ye AND there were some hyped releases that JB and Nike killed it with (Paranorman foams are a true grail to me, for example).

Flyknits were not at all hyped until Ye started wearing them, he literally did the same thing with Ultraboosts with Adidas-those were ironically the discount shoe they are now until he wore them lol

I say all of this in that he has fallen off more than any artist I can think of, in terms of public perception but, back then, was was extremely influential in the fashion industry and definitely helped attract non-sneakerhead hype to some of these model.

Back
Top Bottom