Votes: 77 3.3%
  • Kentucky

Votes: 19 0.8%
  • Neutral Grey

Votes: 32 1.4%

• Total voters
I struck out on royals in 13 and 17

1689686455967.png

But I see what you mean. Hype as in like media coverage, commotion - not general demand and want for the shoe. Definitely a difference. I think kanye led to both (I'm still perplexed at mfs wanting those plastic air max 90s because of him) but yeah for the royals, I'd say he created more appreciation but not more hype.
Probably a lot of this hype had to do with how well the Air Yeezy 2s were received. It seemed like everyone was talking about those shoes and were settling for other shoes Ye wore at the time.

Kinda funny because you would think Nike/JB would have been able to put out better new signature models for other artists like Drake and Travis Scott but their signature shoes (NOCTA and those terrible new Travis fusions) have all been hot garbage.

Not sure why Nike has been unable to replicate the success of the Air Yeezy 2 design but JB has killed it with collabs on older retro models so maybe they are just unable to design another well recieved new model like the Air Yeezy 2? I’m honestly not sure.

I’m not sure why both of these things can’t be true: pairs were hyped because of Ye AND there were some hyped releases that JB and Nike killed it with (Paranorman foams are a true grail to me, for example).

Flyknits were not at all hyped until Ye started wearing them, he literally did the same thing with Ultraboosts with Adidas-those were ironically the discount shoe they are now until he wore them lol

I say all of this in that he has fallen off more than any artist I can think of, in terms of public perception but, back then, was was extremely influential in the fashion industry and definitely helped attract non-sneakerhead hype to some of these model.
I’m speaking for the Royal 1s. Ye did not create hype for them. They weren’t hyped at all. You can actually go to the first page of this thread when the 2013 colors were announced and see there wasn’t much interest in them. These aren’t assumptions 😂.

These were a regular GR retro that most folks (sneakerheads and non-sneakerheads) didn’t care for.

I’m speaking for the Royal 1s. Ye did not create hype for them. They weren’t hyped at all. You can actually go to the first page of this thread when the 2013 colors were announced and see there wasn’t much interest in them. These aren’t assumptions 😂.

These were a regular GR retro that most folks (sneakerheads and non-sneakerheads) didn’t care for.
Right and what I’m saying is that Ye wearing that 2013 release created hype for them. I remember when 2013s were going for like $1k on the resell market at one point lol

Right and what I’m saying is that Ye wearing that 2013 release created hype for them. I remember when 2013s were going for like $1k on the resell market at one point lol
These were going for $300+ resale on release day because no one realized how limited of a GR they were. Thats where the hype came from.

These were going for $300+ resale on release day because no one realized how limited of a GR they were. Thats where the hype came from.
Again, both things can be true. He helped push the hype but I’m sure there were people who also wanted this OG cw.

Royals today. FWIW when I was like 17 in 2011, my friend had some clean OG all worn royal 1s and he wanted $200 for em. Pretty relative to what I paid for these clean OG all worn in 2022.

1689768511100.png
Yeah honestly, even adjusted for inflation, that is still not a bad price if they were in good condition:

IMG_7775.jpeg

Air Jordan 1 High OG WMNS “Satin Bred”
Color: Black/University Red-White
Style Code: FD4810-061
Release Date: October 18, 2023
Price: $180
Air Jordan 1 Satin Bred FD4810-061

Air-Jordan-1-Satin-Bred-FD4810-061-Release-Date-3.jpg

Air Jordan 1 Satin Bred FD4810-061

Air-Jordan-1-Satin-Bred-FD4810-061-Release-Date-5.jpg

1689739043559.jpeg
I've been looking forward to these for a long time but the closer we get the more they just look aight.

I'm happy to have them for cheap a in comparison to the OG, but now I feel silly for beasting over these for all those years.

I wonder if those satin Black/Reds are going to be hard to clean if they get dirty on the red portions of the sneaker.

Back
Top Bottom